Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Motronic, are incendiary grenades a violation of residential fire code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Motronic, are incendiary grenades a violation of residential fire code?

Only if your AHJ is being a dick. There aren't really many hazardous material regulations that apply to residential other than for fuels used for building services (piping and storage).

If it's commercial you could quickly hit the criteria for hazmat, even if you just have a big battery backup with wet cells in it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SkunkDuster posted:

The grenades were there to destroy the cryptography equipment in a hurry to keep it from getting into enemy hands. The two systems were intended to be used independent of each other. If something isn't on fire but should be, use a grenade. If something is on fire and shouldn't be, use Halon.

So it's like duct tape and super glue.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I was kinda thinking that the grenades would cause the halon to automatically deploy, but now that you mention it yeah the grenades probably wouldn't give a gently caress about the halon and just keep on truckin' right through to the floor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I was kinda thinking that the grenades would cause the halon to automatically deploy, but now that you mention it yeah the grenades probably wouldn't give a gently caress about the halon and just keep on truckin' right through to the floor.

More importantly, we're talking DoD data centers here who report to no one but themselves. Which means they can lock out a fire suppression system whenever they want like, say....as part of a destruction protocol.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

The halon wasn't automatic. There was a big red button on the wall (like a shutoff switch on a table saw) to deploy it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Motronic posted:

FYI, ADT is horrible and basically a finance scam. Go find a local installer who does their own thing and has their own dispatch or contracts out for it. They will install equipment that you actually pay for now including the labor. That equipment will be both higher quality and not proprietary so if you aren't happy with the dispatch/monitoring service you can change without gutting the system.

As much as I absolutely loving hate ADT, they install pretty common stuff. Generally DSC or Honeywell/Ademco these days. There's not much proprietary about their equipment (and hasn't been since the 80s), but they do rape you on fees.

With that out of the way, ADT always does an installer lockout on their panels, which fucks you out of making any programming changes without ADT showing up (you're limited to changing user codes and not much else; depending on the panel you might be able to change the master code - and most residential customers will just be using their master code anyway). Sometimes an independent alarm company will hire a former ADT installer who actually knows the codes used in that area - if they do, that installer can do a "takeover" - where they migrate the existing panel over to their own monitoring (compare it to a factory reset + unlock of a cell phone - start from scratch, move it to a new carrier). More often than not, you'll have to swap the panel board; if you're lucky, you get a board compatible with your existing keypads (and/or wireless) - i.e., if you're migrating from a mid 90s DSC panel, you can likely use a current Power series panel (you'd have to swap keypads, but most of the wireless stuff would still work with the right receiver - that receiver will probably work with the new panel if it's also DSC, and DSC also makes keypads with built in wireless receivers. the wireless stuff is a small fortune compared to the rest of the system)

If you just want to convert a system to generic monitoring (that only tells the monitoring center that the siren went off), an installer can tap into the siren output with a dialer module, and use some resistors to keep the panel from realizing "oh hey I don't actually have a phone line connected/don't turn on the trouble light". That's what a lot of those companies that say "oh hey we can move you to wireless cell monitoring" do.

The worst company was Brinks though. They could disable the entire alarm system (even local alarm and door chimes) if you fell behind on your bill - and if you discontinued your monitoring, they frequently either showed up to yank the equipment out, or remotely disabled it. The scary part of that is they often did installs in older homes that didn't have interconnected smoke detectors - and often removed the existing smoke detectors to install theirs. Their panels/keypads are 100% proprietary (I believe their smokes are too), and won't work with any other equipment. The motions, door contacts, sirens, etc are common 12VDC alarm stuff. I suspect the new Broadview version of Brinks is much the same.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 20, 2014

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The alarm system in our house is basically now just a burglar deterrent, if we even arm it. It's been in place for about 10 years or so, and since we switched our phone to the AT&T U-verse bundle, the alarm system can no longer connect out. Not really worth the money and effort to get it replaced, since we're in a pretty decent neighborhood, the most we've had around here has been thieves taking advantage of unlocked cars/house doors.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

When I moved into my house about 2 years ago there was an alarm installed but not hooked up to any monitoring center or active in any way. It looks like it was a local installer who is no longer is business now. Can I just hook this thing up to a big siren or something? Or maybe get an alert on my phone and then I can check my security cameras?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

FCKGW posted:

When I moved into my house about 2 years ago there was an alarm installed but not hooked up to any monitoring center or active in any way. It looks like it was a local installer who is no longer is business now. Can I just hook this thing up to a big siren or something? Or maybe get an alert on my phone and then I can check my security cameras?

Since it was brought up does anyone have a suggestion for a good security camera set up? Makes, features, etc?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Since it was brought up does anyone have a suggestion for a good security camera set up? Makes, features, etc?

This thread may be of interest to you both:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462976

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

SkunkDuster posted:

They used to also have incendiary grenades on top of all the racks of electronic equipment but they got rid of them. I don't know why they took them out, but my best guess is that bored soldiers are capable of doing really dumb poo poo.

My dad worked at a base that had the same sort of set up. They eventually replaced the thermite grenades with sledgehammers (albeit very, very nice ones) because the grenades kept disappearing due to boredom/mischief.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Atmus posted:

My dad worked at a base that had the same sort of set up. They eventually replaced the thermite grenades with sledgehammers (albeit very, very nice ones) because the grenades kept disappearing due to boredom/mischief.

Were they like... automatic sledgehammers? Or was one poor guy just supposed to stay behind while the building is under siege and whack all the servers out of the racks, hoping he hits the hard drives?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Were they like... automatic sledgehammers? Or was one poor guy just supposed to stay behind while the building is under siege and whack all the servers out of the racks, hoping he hits the hard drives?

As I recall, some old mainframe computers had big switches that, when flipped, would chop a knife through the power cables to make certain that the computer was off. I could imagine a similar guillotine setup to destroy the hard drives/RAM automatically.

Though it seems like it would be simpler to just put cages around the incendiary grenades so they won't get stolen...

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

No, they were 'normal' except the head was larger than 'normal' and a steel bar was welded in for the handle. I'll take pictures of the one I have, but it's about 30lbs and has a definite feel of 'absolutely, positively will not break before your target or you yourself will' The equipment it was designated to destroy didn't use hard drives and was apparently quite vulnerable to smashing.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kastein posted:

Works great till you realize that you and fire depend on the same thing: oxygen.

Gas-based suppression systems usually have alarms. I will position foam rubber beneath all windows so when the bell rings I can dive out and do a really cool roll

(in case it is not obvious: No, I am not going to put a gas-based fire suppression system in my home. Fitting some of those high-pressure water vapor misters might be cool though)

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 21, 2014

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As I recall, some old mainframe computers had big switches that, when flipped, would chop a knife through the power cables to make certain that the computer was off. I could imagine a similar guillotine setup to destroy the hard drives/RAM automatically.

Though it seems like it would be simpler to just put cages around the incendiary grenades so they won't get stolen...

This reminds me; I've never heard of such a knife setup, but big computers did have "emergency stop" switches. I recall an anecdote of some bored operators deciding to try out the "emergency stop" feature on a system which had just had its hard drives re-fitted. They were originally fitted with standard metal platters... You should know, these were the sort of things the size of washing machines, with platters to match, spinning at very high speed. So you can see why an "emergency stop" was necessary. The new platters were fancy spun glass affairs, impregnated with magnetic material. They were much lighter and therefore reduced access times. Well, they pressed the big red button and watched in horror as the "emergency stop" mechanism worked its magic, grabbing the platters from the sides with braking shoes. These brakes were designed for the metal platters, and the fibreglass ones simply shattered into a million pieces...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sounds like that's exactly the sort of thing they want to have happen before all those platters are full of data, at least.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

All this talk of computers and emergency stops reminds me from a story that I think I remember reading in one of the "A ticket came in..." threads. IIRC, some guy inherited a new workstation at his job. The workstation's computer was a standard affair, except that the tower had a single wire running out of the back of it to a switch that was located into the desk. One side was labeled "magic", and the other side was labeled "more magic". The switch was flipped to magic, so the guy flipped it to more magic, and the monitor flashed and the computer restarted. The guy concluded that it was used as an emergency stop for whenever the boss decided to walk by.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

All this talk of computers and emergency stops reminds me from a story that I think I remember reading in one of the "A ticket came in..." threads. IIRC, some guy inherited a new workstation at his job. The workstation's computer was a standard affair, except that the tower had a single wire running out of the back of it to a switch that was located into the desk. One side was labeled "magic", and the other side was labeled "more magic". The switch was flipped to magic, so the guy flipped it to more magic, and the monitor flashed and the computer restarted. The guy concluded that it was used as an emergency stop for whenever the boss decided to walk by.

That's actually an old MIT story:

quote:

Some years ago, I (GLS) was snooping around in the cabinets that housed the MIT AI Lab's PDP-10, and noticed a little switch glued to the frame of one cabinet. It was obviously a homebrew job, added by one of the lab's hardware hackers (no one knows who).

You don't touch an unknown switch on a computer without knowing what it does, because you might crash the computer. The switch was labeled in a most unhelpful way. It had two positions, and scrawled in pencil on the metal switch body were the words ‘magic' and ‘more magic'. The switch was in the ‘more magic' position.

I called another hacker over to look at it. He had never seen the switch before either. Closer examination revealed that the switch had only one wire running to it! The other end of the wire did disappear into the maze of wires inside the computer, but it's a basic fact of electricity that a switch can't do anything unless there are two wires connected to it. This switch had a wire connected on one side and no wire on its other side.

It was clear that this switch was someone's idea of a silly joke. Convinced by our reasoning that the switch was inoperative, we flipped it. The computer instantly crashed.

Imagine our utter astonishment. We wrote it off as coincidence, but nevertheless restored the switch to the ‘more magic’ position before reviving the computer.

A year later, I told this story to yet another hacker, David Moon as I recall. He clearly doubted my sanity, or suspected me of a supernatural belief in the power of this switch, or perhaps thought I was fooling him with a bogus saga. To prove it to him, I showed him the very switch, still glued to the cabinet frame with only one wire connected to it, still in the ‘more magic’ position. We scrutinized the switch and its lone connection, and found that the other end of the wire, though connected to the computer wiring, was connected to a ground pin. That clearly made the switch doubly useless: not only was it electrically nonoperative, but it was connected to a place that couldn't affect anything anyway. So we flipped the switch.

The computer promptly crashed.

This time we ran for Richard Greenblatt, a long-time MIT hacker, who was close at hand. He had never noticed the switch before, either. He inspected it, concluded it was useless, got some diagonal cutters and diked it out. We then revived the computer and it has run fine ever since.

We still don't know how the switch crashed the machine. There is a theory that some circuit near the ground pin was marginal, and flipping the switch changed the electrical capacitance enough to upset the circuit as millionth-of-a-second pulses went through it. But we'll never know for sure; all we can really say is that the switch was magic.

I still have that switch in my basement. Maybe I'm silly, but I usually keep it set on ‘more magic’.

1994: Another explanation of this story has since been offered. Note that the switch body was metal. Suppose that the non-connected side of the switch was connected to the switch body (usually the body is connected to a separate earth lug, but there are exceptions). The body is connected to the computer case, which is, presumably, grounded. Now the circuit ground within the machine isn't necessarily at the same potential as the case ground, so flipping the switch connected the circuit ground to the case ground, causing a voltage drop/jump which reset the machine. This was probably discovered by someone who found out the hard way that there was a potential difference between the two, and who then wired in the switch as a joke.

Some other good ones in here: http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That is possibly one of the most famous and oldest bits of hacker lore out there. The computer was a PDP-10. I remember reading about it in the Jargon Files, but here's a copy.

e. goddammit

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 22, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yesssss that's the one. It's an awesome story and I was really sad I couldn't remember all of it.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I think my favourite story along those lines was the system that couldn't send email more than 500 miles:

http://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's awesome, but I'm not sure I believe it. My understanding of how email works is that you connect to your ISP and send it the emails, and then it sends them along to the next server in a line between where it is and where it thinks (according to DNS lookup) the destination server probably is. Why would the university's sendmail be trying to connect directly to servers 550+ miles away?

Even if I'm wrong about that, the senmail server having experienced what it thinks is a connection failure to a given server (due to aggressively short ping timeout), it should attempt to send the email via an alternate server. If you want to send email to Siberia, you don't have to get a direct connection to the Siberian server - the whole design of the Internet is to be able to route around damage. As long as your node can connect to any node on the Internet, you can hand off emails to be delivered on down the line. So email should have been sent to any local Internet node that is responding within the short timeout (e.g., any less than 500 miles away), which should then pass them along, resulting in delivery times perhaps a few fractions of a second slower than normal, but invisible to the end user unless they bother to view the details of the email header to see how many hops it's taking.

If you know how to use "bang paths" as an end user you could even deliberately send your email using a known-good destination server, so as an end-user having established that destinations inside five hundred miles are working, could just pick a good-sized server within that radius and bang-path all outgoing email to it.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I'm assuming this story is from year and years ago. Wiki SunOS, the last version died out in 1992, so this is probably at some point in the 80s.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

" I tried emailing a
friend who lived in North Carolina, but whose ISP was in Seattle.
Thankfully, it failed."

Individual user with something called an ISP suggests it was at the earliest in the early 90s. Either way, the earlier you go, the more likely I think my explanation becomes, because the people using email were more savvy about internet infrastructure, and significant internet backbone server outages were also more common.

I mean I'm not saying his story is definitely horseshit, but it smells funny to me based on my admittedly incomplete understanding of early Internet functionality.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It makes sense to me as I understand how the internet was architected at the time and how it is put together now.

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008
It's a bit fishy:
http://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail-faq.html

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
At work today I was on the roof bringing material up and the roofing guys were flying big bundles of foam insulation boards up with a crane nearby. The crane set it on their cart and they broke down the bundle from there. This guy was in charge of keeping the other half of the bundle from falling off the cart while the others unloaded the other side, except his coworkers decided to stand around and talk for a good 10 minutes while this poor fella held it up. Windy as poo poo and he was clearly struggling to keep it on the cart.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Leperflesh posted:

That's awesome, but I'm not sure I believe it. My understanding of how email works is that you connect to your ISP and send it the emails, and then it sends them along to the next server in a line between where it is and where it thinks (according to DNS lookup) the destination server probably is. Why would the university's sendmail be trying to connect directly to servers 550+ miles away?

Even if I'm wrong about that, the senmail server having experienced what it thinks is a connection failure to a given server (due to aggressively short ping timeout), it should attempt to send the email via an alternate server. If you want to send email to Siberia, you don't have to get a direct connection to the Siberian server - the whole design of the Internet is to be able to route around damage. As long as your node can connect to any node on the Internet, you can hand off emails to be delivered on down the line. So email should have been sent to any local Internet node that is responding within the short timeout (e.g., any less than 500 miles away), which should then pass them along, resulting in delivery times perhaps a few fractions of a second slower than normal, but invisible to the end user unless they bother to view the details of the email header to see how many hops it's taking.

If you know how to use "bang paths" as an end user you could even deliberately send your email using a known-good destination server, so as an end-user having established that destinations inside five hundred miles are working, could just pick a good-sized server within that radius and bang-path all outgoing email to it.

I understood it that the sending mail server has a timeout limit to connect to the receiving mail server. As it couldn't get a message there and back again within the timelimit, the sending server would timeout.

It wasn't that they couldn't get a connection between the two servers, it was that there wasn't enough time for the mail servers to communicate.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

spog posted:

I understood it that the sending mail server has a timeout limit to connect to the receiving mail server. As it couldn't get a message there and back again within the timelimit, the sending server would timeout.

It wasn't that they couldn't get a connection between the two servers, it was that there wasn't enough time for the mail servers to communicate.

Yes, but the fundamental problem supposedly identified by the statisticians was "our email won't get delivered outside 500 miles." And I thought that what Sendmail/the server running it should do is look up in its DNS what the destination server should be for the email and try to contact it. Having timed out, it should then fall back to another server and try that. It should keep trying nearby servers until it gets one that works. This way, even if one particular destination server isn't responding, the sending server still gets the email out onto the Internet where it can get passed on to the intending target server.

I may be wrong about this. But even if I am, using bangpaths should have been a workaround that would work, provided the first (leftmost) server in the bangpath was a responding server within the 500 mile radius.

I realize however that I'm not a sendmail expert, and especially not an expert on circa 1994-7 sendmail on SPARC. It just seemed fishy to me. That FAQ that rekamso linked to confirms that a lot of other people thought it was fishy too, albeit for other reasons. I'm actually kicking myself over the "speed of light" thing, because I knew that pulses down a copper wire don't travel at C, but it didn't occur to me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm fairly certain that mail doesn't bounce around like IP packets, the sending server tries to contact the receiving server and keeps trying until it gets through or reaches a defined timeout.

Holy poo poo so how about those houses?

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64
Part of my job is to fill and analyse Inergen systems. Last job we did was for some huge museum that was replacing an older extinguishing system.

When asked about the effectiveness of the system in large open areas of the museum, we were basically told the designer of this particular replacement over sized the system to account for the open air areas and for a certain amount of egress points being open during a fire, etc. Apparently there are allowances for for things like this. Obviously there is a hell of a lot more involved than just over-sizing a system.

So basically this.

Motronic posted:

Again, gas and heads aren't expensive so if it was feasible everyone would use it everywhere. Clean agent extinguishment just isn't as simple as you've made it out to be, nor is it as simple as the marketing materials you quoted.

I think the the guy who designed the system took like more than a year to design the system and get all the approvals etc.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Ansul. I only work for an authorized filler of Inergen cylinders. Basically I'm the guy that fills and makes sure the gas tolerances in the cylinders are correct so you wont suffocate if you are in a room when the system discharges... in theory... if the system was designed correctly.

Regardless, I think the systems are cool so have some videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F7qyY15_14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTHgtjqNS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqTVKYSqRo

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Taken by a friend of mine at his aunts house.

vv Probably, but hey just put some reflective poles around it and we don't need to move it from inside the road. vv

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 24, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man, gently caress developments that don't have sidewalks. I bet they put that hydrant in there while laying out the water infrastructure in the dirt, prior to pavement being laid, without realizing some assholes had decided to not have sidewalks.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Nyyen posted:

Not entirely sure if this is the right thread for this, but here it is anyway. Something far worse than that other house that shall remain unmentioned...

Highlights include:

The horror...

I don't care how old this is, it's loving amazing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So did that thing kill anyone yet, or what?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

It doesn't actually exist in this world. It's where the sinful builders end up after they've died.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Bad Munki posted:

Here's the finished product.

According to recent posts in the thread it's still standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Leperflesh posted:

Man, gently caress developments that don't have sidewalks. I bet they put that hydrant in there while laying out the water infrastructure in the dirt, prior to pavement being laid, without realizing some assholes had decided to not have sidewalks.

Always got a kick out of this one.

Couldn't put it a few feet right or left in the grass like a normal fire hydrant, no, it goes RIGHT HERE.