Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

How do you open the doors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Cage posted:

How do you open the doors?

Not sure on this specific car, but on other cars with shaved handles I've seen, it's a button on a fob to remotely pop it open, then you can swing it out. Resulted once in me having to open a customer's door as if she had locked herself out of the car(though the doors were unlocked).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You don't, you just stand back and look at it. What part of "show car" do you not understand?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why did he need a matching cooler?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Rhyno posted:

Why did he need a matching cooler?

because it's crustom

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Yeah I saw that the other day. It's even got five-bolt wheels!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Does something like this roll up at a show and everybody looks at each other and has a few good chuckles to themselves, or do they call people out on the waste of time and money? Like, I know style is subjective, but is there anybody out there that likes this, or considers it "good"?

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 20, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Shows like that don't really account for taste, it's all down to how much modification has been done.

I remember from the old terrible car poo poo thread there was a Nissan or something that had the entire front and rear fascias mangled on from some Lexus or something like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This is probably the closest I'm ever going to find to a Tissier-converted Citroën, an XM hearse that popped up a couple of weeks ago:

1992, 2.0L, automatic, 220K km, driven as a hearse until December 2011, they want 10K DKK (~$1850) for it, doesn't have plates. Goddammit, it's so impractical, but so cool.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut posted:

This is probably the closest I'm ever going to find to a Tissier-converted Citroën, an XM hearse that popped up a couple of weeks ago:

1992, 2.0L, automatic, 220K km, driven as a hearse until December 2011, they want 10K DKK (~$1850) for it, doesn't have plates. Goddammit, it's so impractical, but so cool.

It's only impractical in how long it is. Everything else about that is awesomely practical. Look at all that cargo space!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is great

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/4431661849.html

quote:

Hummer H3 Luxury
26" wheels $6,300
Custom paint $2,500
LED underbody lights
LED interior lights
LED headlights
Heated leather interior
Custom $12,000 stereo
Huge Sunroof flip up and retractable
Touch screen in dash with back up camera, satellite, pandora, etc
Tinted windows
$4,200 Chrome Package
well maintained never beat on because it's a show car
Testing the waters , any offer is considered , just seeing what's out there. many more pictures available if requested.

It's a show car.

Now for a bonus. That second pic has a Nissan in it that came out to our first Cars & Coffee meet last year. The owner bought it new (it's a 94 Maxima I think) and has dumped $70,000 into it. He had a book with receipts to prove it. It's a manual swap, turboed and has scissor hinges on all four doors.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I know we can't do the whole "what do you do for a living" and I get people prioritize their spending differently.

But who in their right mind would piss away this much money on vehicles like that (especially the past few that have came through lately)? I know I have no room to talk owning Land Rovers, but I know where to draw the line.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know we can't do the whole "what do you do for a living" and I get people prioritize their spending differently.

But who in their right mind would piss away this much money on vehicles like that (especially the past few that have came through lately)? I know I have no room to talk owning Land Rovers, but I know where to draw the line.

Well the H3 dude is probably in debt up to his eyeballs. The Nissan dude had "invested" that money over 17 years of ownership. I think he worked at a machine shop.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Now for a bonus. That second pic has a Nissan in it that came out to our first Cars & Coffee meet last year. The owner bought it new (it's a 94 Maxima I think) and has dumped $70,000 into it. He had a book with receipts to prove it. It's a manual swap, turboed and has scissor hinges on all four doors.

Does that at least count the original purchase price?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PCOS Bill posted:

Does that at least count the original purchase price?

God I hope so.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont know the first thing about land rovers but I want to go on adventures in this thing.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4424567312.html

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just saw a 1971 Bronco on the street. It looked pretty acceptable from a quick walk-around. I've called the owner and left a message asking for the price; what should a running Bronco go for?

Edit: I found it on craigslist, this guy wants $12500, it sure as hell didn't look like a $12,500 vehicle.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 21, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Just saw a 1971 Bronco on the street. It looked pretty acceptable from a quick walk-around. I've called the owner and left a message asking for the price; what should a running Bronco go for?

Edit: I found it on craigslist, this guy wants $12500, it sure as hell didn't look like a $12,500 vehicle.

WTF is up with the bumper?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pham Nuwen posted:

Seems that everyone always wants way too much for those. A rusty one in Denver is around 6k from what I saw last year. A fine one is closer to 15.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

WTF is up with the bumper?

That's original. It's a "the government told us to put a bumper on so we did" type situation.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Powershift posted:

That's original. It's a "the government told us to put a bumper on so we did" type situation.

It was always twisted?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll be easy to get the casks out of it, just drop the rear end and lift up the front.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PCOS Bill posted:

It's only impractical in how long it is. Everything else about that is awesomely practical. Look at all that cargo space!

I know, don't tempt me :negative:

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
Do you gents generally try and negotiate over email before going out and taking a look at a vehicle? I suppose it varies on if its close by etc. Curious to hear strategies from the vets.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I never negotiate over email. I just usually ask whats a good time to see it and negotiate in person - You know how many internet tough guys there are out there.

I usually have an idea of what I want to pay before I see the vehicle anyways. If they don't accept I keep moving along.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

rizzo1001 posted:

Do you gents generally try and negotiate over email before going out and taking a look at a vehicle? I suppose it varies on if its close by etc. Curious to hear strategies from the vets.

I wouldn't consider myself a vet, but I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Craigslist and I never make an offer over email.

Over email, you have no power. You're basically saying, "I think that number is too high", with no real investment or pressure on the other guy. Craigslist is full of dumb fucks who think they can offer 50% of the asking price in the very first email. It doesn't work, I just immediately delete that kind of email when I'm selling something because this person is not reasonable or worth talking to.

Show up in person. Look at the vehicle. Note what's wrong with it. Have the blue book printout, assuming it shows a lower price than asking. HAVE CASH WITH YOU. Being able to hand over cash right that second, no trips to the bank, no checks, no bullshit, THAT is what will get you the better deal. It's worked on me when selling (I sold my old bike for $750 when I asked $900 because the guy had cash and a pickup to haul it) and it's worked for me when buying.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
My wife just sent me this link:
http://bringatrailer.com/2014/04/20/euro-1985-bmw-m635csi/

Looks nice, if only it wasn't on the opposite corner of the country from me. :(

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

My wife just sent me this link:
http://bringatrailer.com/2014/04/20/euro-1985-bmw-m635csi/

Looks nice, if only it wasn't on the opposite corner of the country from me. :(

But you can have this for 1/4 the price!

http://www.starmotors.us/car.php?sn=8430

That drat car has been for sale over 3 years.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

angryhampster posted:

But you can have this for 1/4 the price!

http://www.starmotors.us/car.php?sn=8430

Don't know if you're being facetious or not, but the car in your link isn't an M, and it's automatic. The one I linked is not only an M635, it's a euro model with the full 286 HP, not the detuned 260 that the US officially got.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its not ~pure~
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4425163713.html

This seems like a pretty good deal. Though the part I circled, needing a heater core would suck. The only issue I see that is on the corner near the rear tire looks slightly flaky like rust. Salvage title on something this old doesnt bother me as long as it drives strait.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I wouldn't consider myself a vet, but I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Craigslist and I never make an offer over email.

Over email, you have no power. You're basically saying, "I think that number is too high", with no real investment or pressure on the other guy. Craigslist is full of dumb fucks who think they can offer 50% of the asking price in the very first email. It doesn't work, I just immediately delete that kind of email when I'm selling something because this person is not reasonable or worth talking to.

Show up in person. Look at the vehicle. Note what's wrong with it. Have the blue book printout, assuming it shows a lower price than asking. HAVE CASH WITH YOU. Being able to hand over cash right that second, no trips to the bank, no checks, no bullshit, THAT is what will get you the better deal. It's worked on me when selling (I sold my old bike for $750 when I asked $900 because the guy had cash and a pickup to haul it) and it's worked for me when buying.

I agree. Hell, I've stopped responding to people when their emails got kinda scammy/nigerian prince-like (when they'd offered me 1100 on something I was listing for 1300, which I had paid 270 for a week prior - I was perfectly happy with their offer) and a few days later they offered me full price if we could finish the deal by Friday night. So we did, and I walked off with a $1k profit.

If someone makes me think they are wasting my time I have absolutely no problem just ignoring their emails till they either go the gently caress away or wise up and get serious. An offer is worth the electrons it was sent with and nothing more unless you are standing in front of me with cash in your hand.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its not ~pure~

This seems like a pretty good deal. Though the part I circled, needing a heater core would suck. The only issue I see that is on the corner near the rear tire looks slightly flaky like rust. Salvage title on something this old doesnt bother me as long as it drives strait.

Price seems high on a salvage title ETA.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kastein posted:

I agree. Hell, I've stopped responding to people when their emails got kinda scammy/nigerian prince-like (when they'd offered me 1100 on something I was listing for 1300, which I had paid 270 for a week prior - I was perfectly happy with their offer) and a few days later they offered me full price if we could finish the deal by Friday night. So we did, and I walked off with a $1k profit.

If someone makes me think they are wasting my time I have absolutely no problem just ignoring their emails till they either go the gently caress away or wise up and get serious. An offer is worth the electrons it was sent with and nothing more unless you are standing in front of me with cash in your hand.

We also shouldn't ignore the powerful and subtle socialization pressures that affect our decision making. When you are standing face to face with a real person, it is much more difficult to dismiss them, and much easier to empathize with them. As a buyer, by being present, you inform the seller's unconscious monkey brain that you're part of the clan, not a faceless axe murderer.

I see this all the time in a different context: I telecommute, and I've found repeatedly that someone I've met in person - even just once - is far more likely to be receptive and responsive when I request information (that is, ask them to expend effort to perform a task) than someone I've never met. If I've never spoken to them on the phone either, it's even more likely I'll be ignored, or sent a terse unhelpful response. I've seen the latter transform miraculously into the former after a thirty second introduction and hand shake.

Politicians know this fact well, too. That's why going door-to-door shaking voters' hands is so effective. It's also why there are still door-to-door salesmen; despite the incredible effectiveness of modern TV and print advertising, the much higher cost of door-to-door is still worthwhile for many types of products, because we're socialized not to say "no" to people, ignore them, or close a door in their faces.

That doesn't mean we can't do those things of course; it's just a little harder to dismiss a live human being than it is to ignore a TV commercial. By the same token, it's harder to play hardball with someone you "know" - even if you just met them two minutes ago - than with an email correspondent.

So show up in person, shake the person's hand, engage in friendly chit-chat while you evaluate the car, smile and if you can manage to do it casually, find something worth complimenting and compliment it, whether it's how clean the car is, their other car, how nice their neighborhood is, their taste in football teams, etc. You are telling the seller's hindbrain that you're an ally. After that you will be much more likely to successfully talk down the price, especially if the seller is not highly skilled or experienced with financial negotiations (and most craigslist car sellers fall into that category).

It's no coincidence that this is exactly what professional car salesmen are doing to you, when you show up on the lot, of course.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its not ~pure~

I paid $800 more than that for a 91 318is with perfect paint, an uncracked dash, clean title, and just in need of a suspension refresh. YMMV.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BlackMK4 posted:

I paid $800 more than that for a 91 318is with perfect paint, an uncracked dash, clean title, and just in need of a suspension refresh. YMMV.

10 years ago?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jealous Cow posted:

10 years ago?

Three weeks ago. Dude posted it on R3v while I was in class and I called him within ten minutes, bought it within 12 hours and pissed a lot of people off. :v:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its not ~pure~

This is not a good deal for a salvage ETA with a bad heater core. There are much better examples for similar cash. This might be a good chassis, though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I couldn't tell it was an Eta or not. Pretty much SOP for E30s any more. Its a good thing I don't want an E30!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

We also shouldn't ignore the powerful and subtle socialization pressures that affect our decision making. When you are standing face to face with a real person, it is much more difficult to dismiss them, and much easier to empathize with them. As a buyer, by being present, you inform the seller's unconscious monkey brain that you're part of the clan, not a faceless axe murderer.

But see, some people try to take advantage of this and assume you're going to cave "under pressure". I get much more upset if someone lowballs me to my face after wasting my time. I once told a guy that drove from Atlanta to Tampa to buy a car I was selling to gently caress off because he believed it had been in an accident and tried to lowball me like an idiot. He probably thought for some reason I'd cave because he drove all that way to get the car. He thought wrong and I sent him kicking rocks.