Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So if I want to eat all the Sichuan food how much would I regret going to Chengdu for three weeks August 4th to 24th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Eifert Posting posted:

So if I want to eat all the Sichuan food how much would I regret going to Chengdu for three weeks August 4th to 24th?

Somewhere between a lot and not at all

real talk: You can never regret Sichuan food, go for it!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

You wouldn't. If you're here for that long, though, I'd suggest getting out and seeing the surrounding area. Sichuan has a lot of cool stuff, but most of it is just too far away for day trips. 3 weeks gives you enough time to get out and eat everything.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Like my experience talking to China ex-pats leads me to believe that all Chinese cities are hellish deathscapes. Chengdu is not Bejing level polluted and crowded, right? :ohdear:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Like my experience talking to China ex-pats leads me to believe that all Chinese cities are hellish deathscapes. Chengdu is not Bejing level polluted and crowded, right? :ohdear:

Crowded, not anywhere close. Polluted, maybe? It's been really nice the past few weeks. No idea what August will be like.

Overall Chengdu has the benefit of having being built up in the past 15 years with Chinese urban planners having learned a lot from the screwups of Beijing and other big cities. Traffic is low, public transport is really good, and it's a well designed city so it's easy to get around.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think you may have just sold me on it. Anyone want to assist me in doing my typical "Swarm of locusts" travel routine when the time comes? I think unless something drastic happens I'll book in the next couple weeks.

Buy stock in 担担面.

Edit: I saw pandas in Taipei and was thoroughly unimpressed.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 21, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sichuan owns, three weeks there is a good amount of time.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Did you see the pandas? Did you see the pandas? Did you see the pandas?

I have still not seen the pandas.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Did you see the pandas? Did you see the pandas? Did you see the pandas?

I have still not seen the pandas.

You're missing out, pandas own.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They're worth seeing once. The panda base is a quite nice little wooded hilly area. It would make a decent bamboo forest park if it didn't have pandas and paths everywhere for tourists. Also: baby pandas. The adult pandas are boring but the babies are adorably stupid. Last time I was there I saw one climb a tree and then get himself hanging upside down from his back legs looking not alarmed but just sort of befuddled as to how he had managed to get himself into this predicament.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I saw the pandas like a million times. One time is plenty. Never see them more than once.

Except red pandas. They're the best.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Tom Smykowski posted:

Except red pandas. They're the best.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Arglebargle III posted:

They're worth seeing once. The panda base is a quite nice little wooded hilly area. It would make a decent bamboo forest park if it didn't have pandas and paths everywhere for tourists. Also: baby pandas. The adult pandas are boring but the babies are adorably stupid. Last time I was there I saw one climb a tree and then get himself hanging upside down from his back legs looking not alarmed but just sort of befuddled as to how he had managed to get himself into this predicament.

Oh man, now I'm imagining Chinese Winnie the Pooh.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Oh man, now I'm imagining Chinese Winnie the Pooh.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
100英亩森林是中国的!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

If you put this on a shirt that said "Oh Piglet, stop making GBS threads on the street" in Chinese, I would pay 30 bucks for it IRL

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

The trick with China is to set your expectations exceptionally low; expect that everything will be overly troublesome and disappointing.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Woodsy Owl posted:

The trick with China is to set your expectations exceptionally low; expect that everything will be overly troublesome and disappointing.

This is unironically good advice.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Woodsy Owl posted:

This, but about literally everything in life.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Three weeks is way too long for Sichuan, it's pretty much just Chengdu and pandas unless you want to go to the Tibetan plateau. I would go to Yunnan too while you're at it cause it's the best province but it's gonna be hot as balls there in August so maybe not.

oh there's also that big wooden buddha somewhere which is good for a day trip i guess

Arakan fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 21, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Tibetan plateau is like 30 miles west of Chengdu though. The mountains are not far at all.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
You could also go Chongqing, eating hotpot, chicken feet, guang gai

kenner116
May 15, 2009
A month in Sichuan is definitely not too long, and of course you'll be visiting mountains after a few days in Chengdu. You've got the giant buddha in Leshan but besides that and Dujiangyan and Emeishan you should be heading deep into the mountains of the north (Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong) and the west (Garze, Litang, Tagong, Daocheng, Yading, and others depending on where you want to end up (back in Chengdu, or Yunnan, Qinghai, Gansu, or if you're feeling especially adventurous/stupid, Tibet). My favorite architecture in China may be the Tibetan buildings around Xiangcheng, near the border with Yunnan. I forgot that Lugu Lake is also partly in Sichuan, if you want to take a faster and less Tibetan route into Yunnan.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

As much potential as this has in a Gooby and Dolan kind of way, I was thinking more like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Woodsy Owl posted:

How I survive life ^^^^^^

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'll echo that Sichuan is most definitely not just Chengdu. Chengdu is probably the most boring place in Sichuan, to be honest. You can go out west to places with much more active Tibetan communities than anywhere in Tibet, you can go north west to grasslands, you can go north to the mountains... or south to the other mountains.

Sichuan probably has some of the best scenery in the world, and none of it is near Chengdu. You also have easy access to Qinghai, Yunnan and Gansu if you wanna really get our there; and with 3 weeks you definitely could.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tupperwarez posted:

100英亩森林是中国的!

I totally didn't see this until now and just lost a little coffee because of it. I really should make it my avatar.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

I totally didn't see this until now and just lost a little coffee because of it. I really should make it my avatar.

Yeah I thought that was pretty inspired too.

We'd also need something like "Christopher Robin is a running dog of the capitalists!" How would you transliterate Christopher Robin? Google Translate tells me 克里斯朵夫罗宾.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

blinkyzero posted:

Christopher Robin

克里豆腐渣 肉饼

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bear in mind that "seeing things" is something I may or may not do while walking from one restaurant to another restaurant.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

You gotta go to the different cities and towns in Sichuan to have their version of the food, though. So like restaurant to restaurant, town to town.

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006

blinkyzero posted:

Yeah I thought that was pretty inspired too.

We'd also need something like "Christopher Robin is a running dog of the capitalists!" How would you transliterate Christopher Robin? Google Translate tells me 克里斯朵夫罗宾.

克里斯托夫 罗宾

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

kwantingus posted:

克里斯托夫 罗宾

:worship:

Put that into some old Red Guard or Great Leap slogan somehow and I will have to Photoshop up some t-shirt templates with Winnie the Pooh, lol

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Not included: running dog Piglet :ohdear:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Tom Smykowski posted:

:stare: This is a thing now.

Although the rays from the little red book kinda look like the rising sun flag, I dunno how to feel about that.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

中国は日本の領土である。

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Shots Fired! :siren:

Something something Hakko ichiu.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Buy stock in 担担面

担担麺

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tupperwarez posted:

:stare: This is a thing now.

Although the rays from the little red book kinda look like the rising sun flag, I dunno how to feel about that.

Instead of straight red rays can you try for the yellow and red aura / Jesus halo effect?

I want to buy a mug and make a poster for my room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Tom Smykowski posted:

10/10, would purchase on a variety of nicknacks. We should make a Chinagoons CafePress store or something and make t-shirts and sweatshirts and poo poo. The proceeds can go toward renewing TWM's account whenever he gets banned or Ceciltron's legal fund.

What other iconic Western children's characters can we appropriate for the cause? I feel like Peter Pan as a Red Guard could work. If we stick with A. A. Milne, Mr. Toad is obviously a feudal rightist whom the people must crush beneath their iron-shod heels.