Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Hoops posted:

Hired a manager, he wasn't working, sacked him, got someone else. It's only something to write 10,000 words about if you're a club who had Alex Ferguson for 27 years. The fans will get used to it, just like Madrid, Barca, Bayern, and god knows the big Italian clubs are used to it.

Pretty much. The manager was given as much support as he reasonably could be, which was always the point. He was never going to be sacked for "not winning things", and he'd still be receiving support now if there was a reasonable chance that he could turn the situation around. However, the odds on that are... not good.

Also, mentioning TalkSPORT just now reminded me again of the time they complained that City signed David Silva and Yaya Toure instead of "someone people had heard of, like John Terry", and I laughed at that again, in this, the year of our Lord Two Thousand and Fourteen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

blue footed boobie posted:

So is Moyes being sacked or not? I can't take this suspense
Gone by the end of tomorrow I reckon. Results have not been good enough , clear to the board that a change had to be made, we thank David for his service and wish him well for his future. Ryan loving Giggs to take charge to the end of the season

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

From what the Twitter experts say, it looks like Man-U is passive-aggressively trying to make Moyes' situation as intolerable as possible without actually sacking him in an effort to avoid paying out on the 6 year contract they gave him.

THE UNITED WAY

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Manchester United will finish no higher than fifth with their new manager

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Ravel posted:

Manchester United will finish no higher than fifth with their new manager

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Pretty much. The manager was given as much support as he reasonably could be, which was always the point. He was never going to be sacked for "not winning things", and he'd still be receiving support now if there was a reasonable chance that he could turn the situation around. However, the odds on that are... not good.

Also, mentioning TalkSPORT just now reminded me again of the time they complained that City signed David Silva and Yaya Toure instead of "someone people had heard of, like John Terry", and I laughed at that again, in this, the year of our Lord Two Thousand and Fourteen.

He was never the right choice. A bad appointment and a disaster everybody with a brain saw coming a mile off.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TheGoatFeeder posted:

In actual Premier League news, Burnley have just been promoted, decent away day that.

Phwoar, proper chuffed. Hope nobody pinches Ings/Vokes from them. Another academy product making the prem.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Eric Cantonese posted:

From what the Twitter experts say, it looks like Man-U is passive-aggressively trying to make Moyes' situation as intolerable as possible without actually sacking him in an effort to avoid paying out on the 6 year contract they gave him.

If "hiring Dennis Wise and letting him sign players off Youtube" is acceptable in court as Constructive Dismissal, I'm pretty sure that leaking to the press that you'd been fired so that you'd resign (why would you even resign if you'd already been fired?) would be pretty nailed on.

I'd be amazed if there was much truth in it.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

He was never the right choice. A bad appointment and a disaster everybody with a brain saw coming a mile off.

And you as well :D

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

TheGoatFeeder posted:

In actual Premier League news, Burnley have just been promoted, decent away day that.

Turf Moor :)

My grandad used to take me to games back in the 80s.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Was there any evidence those other managers actually wanted the job?

Not defending the hiring of Moyes, just wondering why people act like Guardiola wasn't 100% going to Bayern and Ancelotti and Klopp weren't totally comfortable where they were.

xx million and complete control of a club the size of Utd would make any one of those three interested.

I don't personally think the current united board understand the importance of the manager without Gill reminding them and so wouldn't offer enough to make anyone decent think twice.

Like Arsene Wenger choosing whoever's going to replace Ramsey.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

The manager was given as much support as he reasonably could be, which was always the point. He was never going to be sacked for "not winning things"
In football, whats the difference?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

If "hiring Dennis Wise and letting him sign players off Youtube" is acceptable in court as Constructive Dismissal, I'm pretty sure that leaking to the press that you'd been fired so that you'd resign (why would you even resign if you'd already been fired?) would be pretty nailed on.

I'd be amazed if there was much truth in it.

e; this paragraph was a mess I'm rewriting it.
Curbishley got his full contract paid out after resigning, because the chairman signed actually good players and it made Curbishley's utter dross players upset.

Moyes could walk and get the full contract right now, the club haven't done nearly enough to combat this in the press.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 21, 2014

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Hoops posted:

In football, whats the difference?

Don't be pedantic about it. A City or a Chelsea manager coming in is going to be expected to win trophies. Even Mourinho, if he doesn't win anything in the next couple of years is pretty likely to be shown the door. Chelsea managers can also be fired for "not defending a trophy"; "being fat and Spanish"; and "promoting the youth team at the expense of Frank Lampard".

There was no real obligation on Moyes to win anything this year, and more than likely the next couple of years as well. That's some way removed from looking physically incapable of managing a football club.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

tbf all but like 2 of those have been penalties

Yeah, and all but one of Rooney's league goals have come against mid-table or lower sides this season. That one goal was against Man City who screwed United 4-1. If I'm feeling generous I'll give you two he scored against Spurs to make it a 2-2 draw, but Spurs are lovely and mid-table as far as I'm concerned.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Strawman posted:

Back then they had a chance of attracting players of the same standard as replacements, if Rooney leaves the quality of the team will be lower for the foreseeable future unless they get lucky and find a Suarez.
Attracting players is more about money than anything else though. City paid their way from mediocrity to the top, signing players like Aguero, Toure and Silva before winning anything iirc and it didn't really take them very long. United won't have any trouble getting good players in if they're willing to pay what the other teams do.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Is there any reliable source for any part of this story? I'm not calling bullshit or anything, I just want to read something substantive.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

There have been reports of a clause that lets them only pay out for the first 2 years of the contract if Utd finish outside the top 4.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Don't be pedantic about it. A City or a Chelsea manager coming in is going to be expected to win trophies. Even Mourinho, if he doesn't win anything in the next couple of years is pretty likely to be shown the door. Chelsea managers can also be fired for "not defending a trophy"; "being fat and Spanish"; and "promoting the youth team at the expense of Frank Lampard".

There was no real obligation on Moyes to win anything this year, and more than likely the next couple of years as well. That's some way removed from looking physically incapable of managing a football club.

You thought he was a good choice to manage united lol

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Honestly, I bet at this point the board is trying to shore up a replacement for the rest of the season. Giggs would probably want the job on a permanent basis which the board won't commit to right now.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Beige posted:

Is there any reliable source for any part of this story? I'm not calling bullshit or anything, I just want to read something substantive.

The source is United

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Beige posted:

Nope. The Times literally printed their own story because they didn't want to be scooped by the Telegraph.

edit: The source is United, but there's not going to be anyone going on record or anything of that nature.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Beige posted:

The only thing that gives me hope is that United haven't denied it upon being asked by Manchester Evening News and the like.

Also, apparently United aren't allowed to make major announcements during NYSE trading hours... That might very well be bollocks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Paperhouse posted:

Attracting players is more about money than anything else though. City paid their way from mediocrity to the top, signing players like Aguero, Toure and Silva before winning anything iirc and it didn't really take them very long. United won't have any trouble getting good players in if they're willing to pay what the other teams do.

Its funny how quickly its turned to players signing for Man Utd because of the money and nothing else though

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

You thought he was a good choice to manage united lol

Who do you think should manage Manchester United FC, Pissflaps?

ayb posted:

Honestly, I bet at this point the board is trying to shore up a replacement for the rest of the season. Giggs would probably want the job on a permanent basis which the board won't commit to right now.

I can't see Giggs being that far up his own arse. It's United, not Spurs.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Robert Martinez

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Robert Martinez

This unironically

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

I can't see Giggs being that far up his own arse. It's United, not Spurs.

Not that big of a stretch considering the man was up his sister-in-law's arse for a decade or so.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'd love for someone to pull up the United Supporter post from, I think August or September, where they said "hope all the plastics quote this when it's business as usual" or something like that

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

This unironically

I'm not being ironic.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Apparently Pissflaps isn't allowed to make major predictions during NYSE trading hours...

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

and more than likely the next couple of years as well.
I think this is still a reflection of being spoiled for so long. The next guy will get his one season, then if he doesn't win anything he'll be gone too.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not being ironic.

I like this. I approve of this.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'd say Pulis but I wonder if he's got the same problem Moyes has

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

TheGoatFeeder posted:

I wonder how Danny Ings will do in the Premier League, he was great against us in the cup earlier this season.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hoops posted:

I think this is still a reflection of being spoiled for so long. The next guy will get his one season, then if he doesn't win anything he'll be gone too.

The problem is getting United fans to understand that their club of choice is literally like any other. The only thing that marked them out as 'special' was having the once-in-a-generation talent of Alex Ferguson fall in their lap at the beginning of the Sky money.

I think they're slowly coming round though.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Ancelloti and one big transfer window would get United right back up there straight away imo

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

tbp posted:

I'd love for someone to pull up the United Supporter post from, I think August or September, where they said "hope all the plastics quote this when it's business as usual" or something like that

I too would like this

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Jose posted:

Its funny how quickly its turned to players signing for Man Utd because of the money and nothing else though

That's probably not true either, but people are busy trying to convince themselves that United are the new Leeds and why would any manager even want to take the top job at one of the most famous and prestigious clubs in the world?

Even if it were the case, it wouldn't matter that much unless the money ran out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

The problem is getting United fans to understand that their club of choice is literally like any other. The only thing that marked them out as 'special' was having the once-in-a-generation talent of Alex Ferguson fall in their lap at the beginning of the Sky money.

I think they're slowly coming round though.

Agreed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjFtct4O5s

• Locked thread