Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

FullLeatherJacket posted:

That's probably not true either, but people are busy trying to convince themselves that United are the new Leeds and why would any manager even want to take the top job at one of the most famous and prestigious clubs in the world?

Even if it were the case, it wouldn't matter that much unless the money ran out.

£260k a week offered to Kroos when he's already at Bayern lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
there is something weirdly gypsy curse-like about liverpool winning the title the season after fergy retires though idk

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Pissflaps posted:

He was never the right choice. A bad appointment and a disaster everybody with a brain saw coming a mile off.

I already said this Pissflaps apparently it doesn't count because we're all ABUs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PirateBob posted:

The only thing that gives me hope is that United haven't denied it upon being asked by Manchester Evening News and the like.

Also, apparently United aren't allowed to make major announcements during NYSE trading hours... That might very well be bollocks.

As a publically traded company they do have a duty to inform their shareholders in advance of major business changes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Blue Screen Error posted:

I already said this Pissflaps apparently it doesn't count because we're all ABUs.

I'm not an ABU i loving hate Chelsea too.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Hoops posted:

I think this is still a reflection of being spoiled for so long. The next guy will get his one season, then if he doesn't win anything he'll be gone too.
It isn't that Moyes hasn't won anything though, it's that he's looked utterly out of his depth and done virtually nothing right and made the team play some of the worst football in the league. If we had a manager that actually seemed to have a plan and if you could see signs of progressing and improving then he'd probably be given time, like Moyes was supposed to be. There's now clearly no sense giving Moyes time, but there could be for someone else

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jose posted:

Its funny how quickly its turned to players signing for Man Utd because of the money and nothing else though

United don't need to sign any new players, that's a title winning squad and it is all down to Moyes that they didn't retain the title.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
If they'd brought in Guus Hiddink in January they'd be top of the league and in the CL semis imo

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pissflaps posted:

Robert Martinez

Hmm, I'd take it. Yes, in large part just to upset Everton fans, but that's almost like a trophy in and of itself.

Pissflaps posted:

The problem is getting United fans to understand that their club of choice is literally like any other. The only thing that marked them out as 'special' was having the once-in-a-generation talent of Alex Ferguson fall in their lap at the beginning of the Sky money.

I think they're slowly coming round though.

I'm glad you've come around to the belief that football started in 1992 and was invented by Clayton Blackmore. It's been a long time coming.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Paperhouse posted:

It isn't that Moyes hasn't won anything though, it's that he's looked utterly out of his depth and done virtually nothing right and made the team play some of the worst football in the league. If we had a manager that actually seemed to have a plan and if you could see signs of progressing and improving then he'd probably be given time, like Moyes was supposed to be. There's now clearly no sense giving Moyes time, but there could be for someone else

You could say the same thing about every manager Chelsea have sacked

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Paperhouse posted:

If only there was a blueprint of his managerial style & vision someone could have looked at first, say 10 years worth.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hmm, I'd take it. Yes, in large part just to upset Everton fans, but that's almost like a trophy in and of itself.

I'm glad you've come around to the belief that football started in 1992 and was invented by Clayton Blackmore. It's been a long time coming.

Hmm still a bit more work required it seems.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

On the 17th August, Moyes will be the first manager other than Ferguson to take charge of United in a competitive game since Ron Atkinson lost 4-1 to Southampton in the League Cup on the 4th November 1986. This has caused a bunch of people to start hooting like handicapped bonobos that United are going to finish midtable or some such nonsense, despite the fact that they have a far better squad than anyone below third.

Writing the summary of Liverpool Football Club is probably going to be my most difficult challenge, as if I am mean and laugh at this noted joke failure club, Greg will get awful mad and not endorse my plans for posting gulags. However, this makes it hard to discuss a club that has slipped so far into the metaphorical bin that we had to ban the phrase “in the bin” from the forum, lest the entire subforum degrade into grown men shouting the word “BIN” at each other like retarded owls.

In truth, Liverpool find themselves in something of a no-man’s land. Their stated ambition is to get back into real contention for the top four Champions League places, but they are hamstrung somewhat by the fact that they spent the entire warchest given to them by Fenway Sports Group (the group Fenway Park is named after) on some of the most awful players never to have actively played in the SPL. And one who had. And who wasn’t even good there. So they’re now trying to play cautious “moneyball” investments against teams who spend like Jody Morris wants a new car. Liverpool fans deal with this by going on FIFA and setting all their players’ stats to more reasonable numbers, such as 99, and then exclusively playing against Rochdale.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jose posted:

£260k a week offered to Kroos when he's already at Bayern lol

I heard Januzaj was going to give up 5% of his salary to fund this, though

Was better with gifs

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I like the noticeable break from posting that has occurred as everyone reads Taff's post and then proceeds to laugh for a few minutes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
someone quote the original A Januzaj or A Ronaldo post tia

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Never Forget

Sir Alex Ferguson Farewell Speech 5/12/2013

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

I love it. I'm gonna miss these vids and people crying on 606 if Moyes goes :(

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

United went looking for somebody who was going to carry on in the manner that it was built, somebody who had the right work ethic and who would be able to show the right commitment to the club. It was very clear what they wanted, and why the chose the person they did, in the same way that Liverpool didn't go out and sign Rodgers purely because no-one else was available. They wanted him as part of the long-term project for the club. I don't think that was necessarily the wrong thing to do. Maybe in retrospect you do what Barcelona did and give Mike Phelan the opportunity to run the club full-time, but considering Brian Kidd and Carlos Queiroz, that may not have worked out brilliantly.

Moyes and Phelan, the only realistic options to manage one of the richest clubs in the world.

Duncan Sperguson posted:

Your team is poo poo and is exactly where it deserves to be. Write 10,000 more words about it.

I disagree, with a decent manager they could easily beat spurs to that last Europa league place.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Spangly A posted:

Phwoar, proper chuffed. Hope nobody pinches Ings/Vokes from them. Another academy product making the prem.

idk if anyone has replied to this but there have been persistent rumours of Liverpool signing Ings for a while now, would be interesting

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Blue Screen Error posted:

You could say the same thing about every manager Chelsea have sacked
Not really when Mourinho and Ancelotti were both sacked despite winning trophies, gaining the best points total ever and scoring the most goals ever respectively. And Di Matteo was sacked after winning the Champions League and the FA Cup

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Jose posted:

someone quote the original A Januzaj or A Ronaldo post tia

People do talk some ridiculous poo poo, though. As if Alex Ferguson was a wizard who came in the night and made David May good. The squad is actually suffering from a problem that Ferguson neglected for about three years, and that was obvious to pretty much everyone. What we have right now is evidence that Paul Scholes pretty much won the league single-handedly at 38 years old.

There's an obvious weakness in the structure of the midfield, both in the centre and on the wing. It's not been a coincidence that Januzaj has looked one the best players this season, entirely because a great Manchester United team needs that threat through the midfield that the distribution of Scholes and the speed of a Januzaj or a Ronaldo creates. It puts a pressure on the opposition and means that they can't just put banks behind the ball and then come forward on the counter, which we've seen cost us points on a few occasions this season.

We knew this at the start of the season, you can go back and look at the comments at the time. People were very angry with the dithering and nonsense that Woodward got involved with that meant that only Fellaini arrived over the summer. However, everything I've seen has indicated that they're prepared now to throw money at the problem. And money generally solves these sorts of problems.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I think you'll find that all of my Official Jacket Preview Predictions have been shown to be correct to almost perfect accuracy

Especially whatever I said about Ian Holloway

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Someone post more United memes I'm pretty sure FLJ did all the posts

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

If only there was a blueprint of his managerial style & vision someone could have looked at first, say 10 years worth.

Hmmm yes I have found this blueprint for you Greg:

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Answers Me posted:

I love it. I'm gonna miss these vids and people crying on 606 if Moyes goes :(

Imagine the emotional trauma of melting down over United Hero Ryan Giggs leading them to 7th.
The tears will be epic.
At least one of them will call him "dad" by mistake.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

belgend posted:

Someone post more United memes I'm pretty sure FLJ did all the posts

This is me reading FLJ's posts.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

DickEmery posted:

At least one of them will call him "dad" by mistake.

Not necessarily

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

serious gaylord posted:

As a publically traded company they do have a duty to inform their shareholders in advance of major business changes.

Companies announce major business changes during trading hours all of the time. Sometimes companies strategize not to in order to allow the information to sink in while trading is halted but that just makes for a gap up/down the following morning. I do not believe that there is a legal/contractual requirement as such though.

Source: not a loving lawyer or market expert by any stretch; American City Plastic

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

vyelkin posted:

Hmmm yes I have found this blueprint for you Greg:

lol

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

I think you'll find that all of my Official Jacket Preview Predictions have been shown to be correct to almost perfect accuracy

Especially whatever I said about Ian Holloway

Hot Cool Facts: Ian Holloway is back in the Premier League, which is nice and will lead to more fun unprofessional ramblings in his “look, mum, I’m an extra from the Fable series” West Country accent, at least up until he is mathematically relegated in January. One time he explained how racism is bad because now you can order all kinds of food in London. He also doesn’t seem to understand the Bosman rule or why it was brought in. I’m not going to explain the Bosman rule to you, but the basic gist is that you’re not allowed to charge money for Belgian things anymore because of trading standards.

On the other hand, the last time Holloway brought up a woefully poor team (I believe that Blackpool team refused to pay wages over £10,000 a week), he almost kept them up. And they beat Liverpool about eight times that season. Which was cool and we all did high-fives and stuff. After being relegated, he sold his best player to Liverpool, who immediately became their worst player. He may also have left a flaming bag of turds on Kenny Dalglish’s doorstep, but there’s no concrete evidence to support that theory.

In preparation for this season, Palace have signed Kevin Phillips. That Kevin Phillips. Who is literally older than Ryan Giggs, the oldest man alive. He’s also now their best player. There are, frankly, some levels of awfulness that sink below what I, or indeed, the English language, can reasonably describe.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

They're all just being played out of position you see

Tom Cleverley's natural position is kit man when will United stop mucking this kid around???

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Pissflaps posted:

He was never the right choice. A bad appointment and a disaster everybody with a brain saw coming a mile off.

Now come on be fair, how many better Scotsmen could they have got?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dudley posted:

Now come on be fair, how many better Scotsmen could they have got?

Paul Lambert could probably do a job.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Hey there are like 300 unread posts since last night. Is Moyes gone yet?? ESPN FC just suggests it's "imminent" so RIP I guess?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

There was no real obligation on Moyes to win anything this year, and more than likely the next couple of years as well.

Will this still be the case for his successor? :allears:

Paperhouse posted:

Attracting players is more about money than anything else though. City paid their way from mediocrity to the top, signing players like Aguero, Toure and Silva before winning anything iirc and it didn't really take them very long. United won't have any trouble getting good players in if they're willing to pay what the other teams do.

They'll have no trouble attracting the players that teams offering money, champions league football and the chance of trophies don't want for whatever reason.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Pissflaps posted:

The problem is getting United fans to understand that their club of choice is literally like any other. The only thing that marked them out as 'special' was having the once-in-a-generation talent of Alex Ferguson fall in their lap at the beginning of the Sky money.

I think they're slowly coming round though.

Most don't even know or seem to forget how they went without winning the league for almost 40 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'm amazed how many people are buying into this "it was obvious" myth

it wasn't

quote psybro for comedy gold on page 2 though.

• Locked thread