Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Doltos posted:

This is absolutely awesome. A super sperg lord on Reddit compiled the stats of most draft eligible QBs of the last 3 years:

God bless reddit sometimes

I'm so high on Teddy right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Blitz7x posted:

God bless reddit sometimes

I'm so high on Teddy right now

Has this been parsed into any conclusions?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Just that Logan Thomas is loving terrible.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And Teddy Bridgewater just wins

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Has this been parsed into any conclusions?

Some. The first and most obvious is the data gatherer sucks at making readable tables, but there are a few other points we can glean from this.

1. Bortles has never faced top ten competition.
2. Bridgewater and Manziel perform statistically the best against top ten defenses.
3. Bortles is a much better scrambler than people give him credit for.
4. Tahj Boyd is an interception machine.
5. Manziel's accuracy is underrated.
6. McCarron, Teddy, Geno Smith, and especially Russell Wilson like to beat up weak teams.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
how many of those top defenses Carr faced are just lovely WAC/MWC teams that happen to rank high in defense because they are somewhat decent there and play a bunch of other lovely WAC/MWC teams

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

You're pretty easily swayed if you can take my vague words and not even watch the game tape and make that statement.

Hey bro, I'm a prince in Nigeria and I need 1,000 dollars to claim my 50 million dollar inheritance. Can you hook me up, I'll hit you back with twice as much.

All I'm saying it watch some of his tape. This is the kind of guy that has Russell Wilson potential. By that I mean, he's going to be drafted by the raiders and beat out Matt Schaub for the starting gig. QB for pennies? Thank you, fates. Maye then they won't have to fire all of those free agents they signed before the next league year starts.

Murray has been floated as a late round prospect for the Chiefs and you really need to understand how much Parm hates Alex Smith.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Groucho Marxist posted:

how many of those top defenses Carr faced are just lovely WAC/MWC teams that happen to rank high in defense because they are somewhat decent there and play a bunch of other lovely WAC/MWC teams

This is also known as the problem with vague statistics.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

This is also known as the problem with vague statistics.

You've got to change that loving Avatar, I can't take anything you're saying seriously. It's got nothing to do with the content of the post, I just always glance over and see Skips mouth open and stop listening.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

No Butt Stuff posted:

Murray has been floated as a late round prospect for the Chiefs and you really need to understand how much Parm hates Alex Smith.

Tajh Boyd or bust

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chilichimp posted:

You've got to change that loving Avatar, I can't take anything you're saying seriously. It's got nothing to do with the content of the post, I just always glance over and see Skips mouth open and stop listening.

I stopped buying new avatars after someone replaced my awesome Jaraslov Halak with some lovely custom title.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It happens bro. It happens.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Parmesan Basil posted:

Tajh Boyd or bust

I'd take either, provided they can sit and learn the offense for at least a year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Some. The first and most obvious is the data gatherer sucks at making readable tables, but there are a few other points we can glean from this.

1. Bortles has never faced top ten competition.
2. Bridgewater and Manziel perform statistically the best against top ten defenses.
3. Bortles is a much better scrambler than people give him credit for.
4. Tahj Boyd is an interception machine.
5. Manziel's accuracy is underrated.
6. McCarron, Teddy, Geno Smith, and especially Russell Wilson like to beat up weak teams.

Russell Wilson's TD:INT ratio is loving absurd.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Russell Wilson's TD:INT ratio is loving absurd.

Dat completion percentage though.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm sure someone has done a regression analysis on that stuff. What are the metrics that correlate most closely to good NFL player?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

bewbies posted:

I'm sure someone has done a regression analysis on that stuff. What are the metrics that correlate most closely to good NFL player?

Tattoos

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

Has anyone though? Even in the reddit thread that supplied those stats it doesn't look like anyone has tried to correlate them to NFL success. I don't even much like doing that, as Sack Seer isn't reliable either.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Guys who throw over %60 or a 2:1 TD:INT against top ten defenses seem to have a pretty good track record if you don't count Kellen Moore's one game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well

If others are willing to mine the data for me I'll build a model for it.

These are the stats that'd be worth looking at IMO:

Games started
Wins
Passer rating (alternatively, break down PR into Comp%, TD%, INT% and YPA)
Pass yards/gm
Rush yards/gm

Data for both full schedule and vs top 25 ranked teams.

Choose maybe 20-30 college QBs at random from the last 15 years. Must have at least 10 games starting.

edit - drafted QBs

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 21, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

bewbies posted:

Games started
Wins

roll tide

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

Well

If others are willing to mine the data for me I'll build a model for it.

Games started
Wins
Passer rating (alternatively, break down PR into Comp%, TD%, INT% and YPA)
Pass yards/gm
Rush yards/gm

Data for both full schedule and vs top 25 ranked teams.

Choose maybe 20-30 college QBs at random from the last 15 years. Must have at least 10 games starting.

Out of all those stats only passer rating directly correlates to the player. Games started and wins are dubious Parcell-like statistics and Pass/Rush yards a game just show a player's usage. The best case against using yards as a statistical measurement for future NFL success begins and ends with Ron Dayne.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Out of all those stats only passer rating directly correlates to the player. Games started and wins are dubious Parcell-like statistics and Pass/Rush yards a game just show a player's usage. The best case against using yards as a statistical measurement for future NFL success begins and ends with Ron Dayne.

A large part of the point of regression analyses is to determine what data matters and what data does not and I for one am curious if there is any correlation at all to wins in college.

edit - should also include height and weight too

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 21, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

I agree with your general point, but you have to consider that a guy who throws 40 times a game is going to be facing a different defense than a guy who throws it 25 times a game. It's a lot easier to put up efficient stats in the latter.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Before you even build your model, I have a few issues to raise:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

A large part of the point of regression analyses is to determine what data matters and what data does not and I for one am curious if there is any correlation at all to wins in college.

Let me correct myself then. In statistics, if you find that NFL QBs that have 30+ wins win more NFL games than those with 20-30 wins, you cannot safely say that correlation of those QBs having 30+ wins implies the causation of them winning on the next level.

That's the problem with Parcells' model.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Let me correct myself then. In statistics, if you find that NFL QBs that have 30+ wins win more NFL games than those with 20-30 wins, you cannot safely say that correlation of those QBs having 30+ wins implies the causation of them winning on the next level.

That's the problem with Parcells' model.

Uh, alright. Regression only shows correlation so I guess we're ok.

(point being you're probably right that "wins in college" doesn't correlate strongly to success in the NFL but I think it is still worthwhile to take a look at the relationship)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I guess I missed FO's Lewin Career Forecast a couple months back but since it's on-topic, Aaron Murray lapped the field.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2014/lcf-2014-year-it-means-nothing

@FO_ASchatz
-I just ran LCF for Tom Savage. Lowest score in this class. And if we don't give him credit for jr-sr year improvement, it's near zero.
-Savage strikes me as EXACTLY the kind of QB you want to avoid: low comp rate, workout wonder, rising just a few weeks before draft.
-If Tom Savage was ready to be an early-round NFL QB selection, wouldn't it have been seen on the game tape four months ago??

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 21, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

Uh, alright. Regression only shows correlation so I guess we're ok.

(point being you're probably right that "wins in college" doesn't correlate strongly to success in the NFL but I think it is still worthwhile to take a look at the relationship)

I had more of a problem with the stats you picked instead of the idea to create the model.

I believe that most QBs that are even being considered to be drafted can throw a decent enough ball if left alone in a void. I rationalize this by saying most if not all pro days tend to show the draftable QB in a favorable light. What I think really hurts them in the NFL is not their good decision making, but their bad decision making. Therefor I think throwing out TDs and yards gained should be the first step, as both seem to correlate directly to usage over actual tangible skill. An example in this draft would be Derek Carr leading everyone with 41 attempts and 2.9 Tds a game.

I'm not saying Carr is a bad QB, but I know from just watching the dudes that he's a step back from Manziel and Bridgewater.

So, I think the first step should be looking at completion percentage and INT percentage, and see how that translates when they head to the NFL. The next step should be looking at their passing charts to see where they throw in college vs the NFL. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone who compiles these charts outside of Rotoworld, but I feel like they'd tell us so much about how a player is used in the NFL compared to how he's used in the NCAA.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rap posted:

Before you even build your model, I have a few issues to raise:

That would be the time to do it, yeah

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You'd also have to correlate team make up in college versus success in the pros and that team make-up. and what quantifies success. and if an NFL team wants to pay me 6 figures, I will immediately begin modeling the data.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

As far as vague stats as an NFL indicator, I did the research once a couple of years ago and saw that college QBs with a YPA of 7.5 and above had a higher success rate than QBs with a YPA of less than 7.5. Not enough to make like a bold definite conclusion but. It was a thing. Most importantly if it was their final year and their YPA was that low. Career YPA can of course be skewed - Foles career YPA at Arizona was 7.1 but he had a YPA of 7.5 or above in his 3rd and 4th seasons.

Worth mentioning: Ponder, Locker, and Gabbert all had YPA below 7 in their final college season.

It's not very useful this year as most of the top QBs in this draft all rocked it out in YPA this year. Some QBs below 7.5 this year: Logan Thomas (7.2), Brett Smith (7.2), Jordan Lynch (7.2), Garrett Gilbert (7.0), Case McCoy (5.9 lol)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 21, 2014

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Declan MacManus posted:

That would be the time to do it, yeah

Doesn't make sense to me to object to what's going into a formula before you know how it's used

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Rap posted:

Doesn't make sense to me to object to what's going into a formula before you know how it's used

Besides, the result should be that certain statistics have no good correlation, not the a priori assumption.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

OperaMouse posted:

Besides, the result should be that certain statistics have no good correlation, not the a priori assumption.

It isn't a priori just based on the fact that you're using statistics.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I thought we definitively proved that statistics are heretical lies and the eye test is the one true God.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's not very useful this year as most of the top QBs in this draft all rocked it out in YPA this year. Some QBs below 7.5 this year: Logan Thomas (7.2), Brett Smith (7.2), Jordan Lynch (7.2), Garrett Gilbert (7.0), Case McCoy (5.9 lol)

If anyone drafts Garrett Gilbert they need to be able to face up to the consequences

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I thought we definitively proved that statistics are heretical lies and the eye test is the one true God.

You could do a correlation between eye test and actual ability too (though I imagine for everyone but the best/worst it'd be mostly random).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The eye is our God and Doltos is his one true prophet. Elihu Akbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Football statistics are heretical. They become quasi-paganistic with the NBA and are dogmatic doctrines with baseball.

• Locked thread