Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Dusseldorf posted:

Remember the GIP poster who argued for pages why using "hadjis" was cool because everyone was using it?

No, I don't know GIP. Hajji has long had a specific meaning - to use it incorrectly is just stupid, like calling a fish a firetruck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TheImmigrant posted:

Nor(th)K(orean), probably. Obviously racist

Yeah, I agree! :)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

quote:

Racism

So, uh, how about them maps!

(I hope we didn't have this one already)

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:france:

Disco Infiva posted:

While we're discussing different names for same regions.

In Welsh, the Lord's Sea (my Welsh is crap so that may not be right)

In Breton, the British sea or Breton sea. Brittany and Britain are distinguished as Breizh and Breizh Veur, literally Britain and Great Britain. Sometimes Brittany is called Breizh Vihan, or Little Britain.

Not really specific enough, there are rednecks in every corner of the US.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I'd like you to stop using words Dutch oven, it's degrading to all ovens.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Disco Infiva posted:

So, uh, how about them maps!

(I hope we didn't have this one already)

We did, and it was followed by a huge derail about whether the countries giving less racist answers were actually less racist to any appreciate degree or whether folks just knew they had to hide their racism better.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Soviet Commubot posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:france:

In Welsh, the Lord's Sea (my Welsh is crap so that may not be right)

In Breton, the British sea or Breton sea. Brittany and Britain are distinguished as Breizh and Breizh Veur, literally Britain and Great Britain. Sometimes Brittany is called Breizh Vihan, or Little Britain.

What's with the bros?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
The French name for the water between Britain and France is neutral, meaning "the sleeve". "English Channel" is not neutral.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hogge Wild posted:

What's with the bros?

It means country I believe.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

What's with the bros?

Depending on context it can mean X country, Bro Roazhon means the Roazhon country in the same way you'd say "North country" in English or country of X, so Bro C'hall means country of the Galls, which are Frenchmen. It's pretty similar to "pays de" in French.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Hogge Wild posted:

What's with the bros?

Means something like "region" apparently. Possibly cognate to English "mark" and "march" (not the month name or movement obviously)?

e: beaten

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Mister Adequate posted:

We did, and it was followed by a huge derail about whether the countries giving less racist answers were actually less racist to any appreciate degree or whether folks just knew they had to hide their racism better.

OK then, how about this?

Is making fun of people who use Internet Explorer considered racism?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Disco Infiva posted:

OK then, how about this?

This can't be correct, everyone I know here in Sweden either uses Chrome or Firefox.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Disco Infiva posted:

OK then, how about this?

Belarus is the only progressive country :cryingopera:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Disco Infiva posted:

OK then, how about this?

No, why would it be?

Oh, whoops, I meant to say SPERG PROFESSIONALLY-OFFENDED SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR TUMBLRITES :bahgawd:

Kamrat posted:

This can't be correct, everyone I know here in Sweden either uses Chrome or Firefox.

That map is outdated, here's a more current one from http://gs.statcounter.com/#all-browser-ww-monthly-201402-201402-map:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 21, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Belarus is the only progressive country :cryingopera:

Wait, what does Opera do?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dusseldorf posted:

Oppresses Belorussians.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dusseldorf posted:

Provides a vastly superior browsing experience, obviously.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Farecoal posted:

That map is outdated, here's a more current one:

At least mine has Antarctica in it :argh:

And it seems that Opera is really popular in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Actually that map conflicts with the one from the Wikipedia article

Blue - IE
Green - Chrome
Orange - Firefox

despite Wikipedia getting it from the same site :confused:

Oh wait, turns out the Wikipedia one only counts desktop browsers

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Farecoal posted:

Actually that map conflicts with the one from the Wikipedia article

Blue - IE
Green - Chrome

despite Wikipedia getting it from the same site :confused:

Oh wait, turns out the Wikipedia one only counts desktop browsers

Do the results depend on your browser :)?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Hogge Wild posted:

Do the results depend on your browser :)?

No, here's a desktop-only browser map for Feb-2014 through April 2014 from StatCounter:

:spergin:

Like the :qq: browser

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Disco Infiva posted:

At least mine has Antarctica in it :argh:

And it seems that Opera is really popular in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Opera has/had a very good mobile browser for lovely internet connections.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mister Adequate posted:

The fact that some people were literally asked the opposite question due to bad translations doesn't help either.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

quote:

Grayshirt? Johnnies? Economically Disadvantaged People Who It's Okay To Make Fun Of Because Once There Was A War That Happened In The Same Geographic Region That They Currently Live In (EDPWIOTMFOBOTWATHITSGRTTCLI's for short)?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
It's okay to stereotype and hate whites of low socioeconomic status and geography because, like, racism.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TheImmigrant posted:

It's okay to stereotype and hate whites of low socioeconomic status and geography because, like, racism.

O'm poor and live in the Midlands of the UK and you're drat right it's okay to stereotype and hate me and mine, we're loving terrible people who sound like we're from Birmingham and Leicester and Derby because we are. We deserve everything we get.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

O'm poor and live in the Midlands of the UK and you're drat right it's okay to stereotype and hate me and mine, we're loving terrible people who sound like we're from Birmingham and Leicester and Derby because we are. We deserve everything we get.

Apologize for your privilege, and accept responsibility for your ancestors' wrongs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheImmigrant posted:

Jesus Christ man, how many threads are you going to poo poo up with this whining about how minorities should shut up and let you call them gooks and niggers but also no don't say redneck that's so racist against whites :qq:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Someone has to stand up for the little man.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The partition of Poland and wildlife populations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

VitalSigns posted:

Jesus Christ man, how many threads are you going to poo poo up with this whining about how minorities should shut up and let you call them gooks and niggers but also no don't say redneck that's so racist against whites :qq:

Heh. Social justice warriors. Heh. :smuggo:

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Pakled posted:

I thought Poles expelled all the pigs when they took Silesia and Prussia :iamafag:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pakled posted:

Is this from overhunting or is there a difference in the geography of countryside that corresponds to the historic populations of the partition?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dusseldorf posted:

Is this from overhunting or is there a difference in the geography of countryside that corresponds to the historic populations of the partition?
IIRC, the "Russian" part is the more conservative one, so maybe they're just shooting every wild animal they see.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ras Het posted:

Not really; you don't clock that the name is derived from the Swedish perspective because you hear it all the time. Particularly when it's a compound, "Eastsea". It's just a name.

It still counts even if it's a compound word. Østersøen/Östersjön/Östersjön was and is literally east of the Scandinavians who named it.

Also it being Finland they probably don't have tests on geography like you would in the US or Korea (whom I've been told are very happy with things like standardized tests).

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Boiled Water posted:

It still counts even if it's a compound word. Østersøen/Östersjön/Östersjön was and is literally east of the Scandinavians who named it.

Also it being Finland they probably don't have tests on geography like you would in the US or Korea (whom I've been told are very happy with things like standardized tests).

I might just be an idiot, but it did take me pretty loving long to notice that Swansea reads "swan sea" too.

And I don't think it's exactly just a geography test issue to know what the sea that surrounds half of your country is called.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farecoal posted:

No, here's a desktop-only browser map for Feb-2014 through April 2014 from StatCounter:

:spergin:

Like the :qq: browser

QQ is actually a spinoff of ICQ developed in China. Tencent (the company that develops it) now does a million other services under the banner too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

I find it hard to imagine how it would be for an average North Korean worker class person to find out that all that propaganda about the rest of the world being evil is fake, and suddenly having a whole bunch of unprecedented freedom.

There's the case of the dude who was born in a North Korean concentration camp, managed to escape and ended up in South Korea. He said that for him, 'freedom' is being able to eat chicken.

That guy probably needed quite some time to get used to his new life. If something similar were to happen to the entire country, I think it would take a long time of slow changes to prevent chaos. But then again, I wouldn't want to wait too long before improving the quality of their lives.

Has there ever been any country with the absurdity of its propaganda comparable to modern North Korea? It seems to be what you get if you combine Soviet Union cold war propaganda with Korean nationalism, turned up to eleven.

Speaking of Stalinist autocracies with bizarre personality cults, hows about Turkmenistan? The Glorious Leader (statue and photo below) died last decade, and was succeeded by his dentist. His dentist, while still ruling with absolute power, has apparently eased off some of the more wacko poo poo of his predecessor. It isn't nearly so bizarre as North Korea (I'd bet), but they haven't had as long to work on it either. They are not so isolated as a nation though, Iran I know has linked the place with rail lines to encourage trade.