Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Football statistics are heretical. They become quasi-paganistic with the NBA and are dogmatic doctrines with baseball.

"Yeah, I know my man Uggla is sub-mendoza line on the season, but check out his on base percentage with runners in scoring position"

*Uggla strikes out*

"Huh, next time, Danny boy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Manziel's statline vs top 10 defenses is so :smith: He's second only to Luck overall IMO but went 1-5 because RIP No Defense

EDIT: Luck went 0-3 too so there's that

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Elotana posted:

Manziel's statline vs top 10 defenses is so :smith: He's second only to Luck overall IMO but went 1-5 because RIP No Defense

EDIT: Luck went 0-3 too so there's that

That stat line is like 90% his two match-ups vs Alabama. He looked like an all-time great in both of those games.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I would guess top 10 defenses also includes Auburn this year (he owned), LSU both years (nnnope), and Florida last year (that would match the 1-5 record). But poo poo, 2012 Florida was his first game ever, so having that in the average is even more impressive.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I really mean more like, how well his stats seem to look in the aggregate.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Also this chart has me praying that the Clowney 1st - Savage 2nd/3rd rumors for the Texans are a smokescreen because goddamn that is some Bad Quarterbacking

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Oh most definitely, but like Daltos keep saying... these stats really are no indicator of our well he's going to do in the Pros.

I think the tape is as far as you have to look.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
It's going to be really funny when we spend all this energy creating the TFF Equation for NFL QB Success and we just end up recreating QBR

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

bewbies posted:

Uh, alright. Regression only shows correlation so I guess we're ok.

(point being you're probably right that "wins in college" doesn't correlate strongly to success in the NFL but I think it is still worthwhile to take a look at the relationship)

It would be hell trying to build a good regression for QB play (at least an OLS model) because there is so much endogeneity involved, and the observations would not be I.I.D.

I mean, you can already guess what the sign of most of the estimators would be (completion %, TD/Int, Games Started are all positively correlated with NFL success) so the only use for the regression would be to see their magnitude, and those numbers would not be accurate, and hypothesis testing on them would suck due to the endogeneity.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

It's going to be really funny when we spend all this energy creating the TFF Equation for NFL QB Success and we just end up recreating QBR

At least then we'd understand QBR.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

What would really happen is you'd get a list of good quarterbacks, and a big fat loving WEEDEN right in the middle. Plus you'd miss a bunch of good players. It'd be interesting to see what sort of universals statistically fit most guys we'd consider franchise QB's, but I don't think there's any possible way to use that data because it fluctuates so much and means little to nothing. If a guy in a lesser conference is getting weaker completion percentage than a guy in a top conference (unless he's getting balls dropped like crazy), or two guys in the same conference have wildly different statlines, I think stats tell quite a bit, but outside of that, it's a crapshoot.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

@evansilva
ESPN's Adam Schefter said he expects Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, Khalil Mack, and Sammy Watkins to be the first 4 picks in the draft.

Gordon and Watkins would be awesome to watch as a duo.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

Goon projects are the best, Johnny Five-Aces.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Ah man, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I was gonna make an :effort: post, but then endogeneity happened.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ozu posted:

@evansilva
ESPN's Adam Schefter said he expects Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Robinson, Khalil Mack, and Sammy Watkins to be the first 4 picks in the draft.

The order will probably go Clowney, Watkins, Mack, Robinson. That's my guess.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
You can do whatever stats you want, all I care about is getting people to stop calling the youtube videos they watch "tape"

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Groucho Marxist posted:

You can do whatever stats you want, all I care about is getting people to stop calling the youtube videos they watch "tape"

I know right, real game tape is so much better for judging player efficacy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Groucho Marxist posted:

Depends on which video you watch. Highlight videos are tape, but they aren't "game tape". There are many, many videos out there that show the best angle on every single snap of a game for a prospect. Those are great but not ideal. Alas I cannot wait for the day where All-22 is the norm for viewing football.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Ozu posted:

@evansilva

That means Bridgewater to the Raiders. :getin:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Is it conceivable the Browns go Oline? I've been seeing it as an option lately but it seems like a stupid idea.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Atticus Finch posted:

Is it conceivable the Browns go Oline? I've been seeing it as an option lately but it seems like a stupid idea.

No not really unless they want Robinson as their road grader and eventual replacement for Thomas. That'll only happen if they roll the dice on Hoyer next year while waiting for Winston/Mariota.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If they think they can get their quarterback later, there's no reason the Browns can't go with BPA at 4. Can't dismiss the trades that can happen at spots 2 and 4 as well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Nawid posted:

That means Bridgewater to the Raiders. :getin:

Didn't you hear? Bridgewater isn't a first round guy anymore :v:

I have to say, I'm getting less and less hyped about the draft with each passing day. Just so burnt out on it. Stupid Goodell

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

For some reason all my game tape has lovely nu-metal on it

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
My VCR doesn't even have wifi so you guys are way beyond me

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Intruder posted:

I have to say, I'm getting less and less hyped about the draft with each passing day. Just so burnt out on it. Stupid Goodell

At least Walter is now saying that there is no reason to not pick Clowney since Bridgewater is going to the second.

Which seems to imply that he actually is a first round talent and he's just buying into bullshit but hey, logic is hard.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rasczak posted:

For some reason all my game tape has lovely nu-metal on it

That's a real knock, IMO. When there's some hardcore rap going in the background, you know you're lookin at a real difference maker.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So, I'm doing this thing. I'm populating stats from 30 randomly chosen QBs drafted in the first 4 rounds since 1998.

Pron on VHS posted:

It would be hell trying to build a good regression for QB play (at least an OLS model) because there is so much endogeneity involved, and the observations would not be I.I.D.

I mean, you can already guess what the sign of most of the estimators would be (completion %, TD/Int, Games Started are all positively correlated with NFL success) so the only use for the regression would be to see their magnitude, and those numbers would not be accurate, and hypothesis testing on them would suck due to the endogeneity.

I would have thought this as well, but so far at least based on an eyeball of the data there doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap. I'm a little more concerned about multicollinearity but I've kept my parameters limited and none really has much do with any others insofar as football is concerned so the output might be alright.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

AAA DOLFAN posted:

My VCR doesn't even have wifi so you guys are way beyond me

What's a VCR? Would it be an upgrade over my reel to reel?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I watch all of my game film on this.

One game is 10 drat pounds of radial slides.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Doltos posted:

This is absolutely awesome. A super sperg lord on Reddit compiled the stats of most draft eligible QBs of the last 3 years:

Completion % vs top ten defenses is pretty telling. If the player is at or above 60% they seem to be good pros. Of course there's only a few games for each player except Manziel.

Completion % vs top 35 defenses is also interesting for at or above 60% although you get a lot more of those guys who seem like average backup QBs in the NFL like Ponder. Interestingly the jump from top 35 to top 10 cuts out guys like Tebow and Ponder while keeping Luck, Wilson, Bradford.

If you want to read a whole lot into that the guys who have greater than 60% vs top 35 but not top 10 will at most be mediocre QBs like Manuel, Geno, Tebow etc.

Either way the main things that stand out in that comparison:

1. Manziel is loving ridiculously accurate

2. Ditto Luck and Wilson his final year

3. Bridgewater is solid. His completion % actually doesnt vary at all from top 35 to top 10

4. Carr looks like the 3rd QB behind Manziel and Bridgewater

5. I love the Andy Dalton completion %

Defenses outside of top 35: 63.6%

Top 35: 57.5%

Top 10: 43% (Admittedly only one game, but still hilarious)

We really need one more year's worth of players to compare if only because there aren't enough decent pros on the list to read into.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

bewbies posted:

So, I'm doing this thing. I'm populating stats from 30 randomly chosen QBs drafted in the first 4 rounds since 1998.

I would have thought this as well, but so far at least based on an eyeball of the data there doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap. I'm a little more concerned about multicollinearity but I've kept my parameters limited and none really has much do with any others insofar as football is concerned so the output might be alright.

How are you quantifying "success in the NFL"?

Aaron Rodgers was allowed to sit 3 years and work with an excellent QB development coach.

Is that a fair comparison with a hypothetical plauer who has a career-ending injury in pre-season of his rookie year.

Being drafted by the Browns also seems to be a curse on its own.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

bewbies posted:

There isn't really a problem if the explanatory variables like games started and TD/INT ratio have correlation, it's just that there are so many undiscovered variables lurking in the error term (injuries, offensive scheme) that would muck things up.

edit: to be honest I am kind of being a pussy, this would be a great and fun thing to do and in undergrad I used NFL data for all econometrics projects, its just that the results won't have very good properties and be very useful. If we spend months and months and get as close as we can then there's probably a chance the resulting model could get TFF hired at footballoutsiders or something

also I don't know if MJBuddy still reads these forums in the offseason but he would be a good source to ask regarding how to do an accurate regression. I don't know much beyond OLS and regression discontinuity models.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 21, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Atticus Finch posted:

It is conceivable if they want to draft Robinson as a RT which is a bad idea but it's the Browns so who knows.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Robinson would be a loving road grader at RT, while also being the LT of the future.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chilichimp posted:

Robinson would be a loving road grader at RT, while also being the LT of the future.

Yeah but if you want a road grader you can't do much better than Lewan. Plus you can get him 10 picks later.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I don't see how Robinson lands at the intersection of best player available and team need, but I'd be OK with it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

Yeah but if you want a road grader you can't do much better than Lewan. Plus you can get him 10 picks later.

But then you're doing the objectively morally repugnant action of hiring Taylor Lewan

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Alouicious posted:

But then you're doing the objectively morally repugnant action of hiring Taylor Lewan

Being banished to Cleveland seems like suitable punishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Intruder posted:

Same, I just want it over with already.

If the first four teams all pass on Bridgewater they'll each deserve the five years of losing they'll get for it.

• Locked thread