Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Does France ever not immediately explode into fragments? I've seen it happen in literally every game I've played.

I take it neither of you have had every karling kingdom inherited by a single person and a gigantic Europe-spanning Francia stomping everything in sight (Just wait until you see that they've patrilineally married the Byzantine Empress! :geno:).

Lately I haven't seen anything different either, but it's far more desirable compared to what used to happen. It might be less common with the way levies/vassal revolts work now, it's easier for individual kingdoms to break free from a king holding multiple titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I think vassals should try to gain the crown for themselves significantly more often than just independence.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Uh oh, I think I've just screwed myself over, here. :ohdear:

OK so, I'm (/I was) the king of Georgia (I've got a whole lot more land, however; the duchies of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Alania, plus more to the north, but all within the one kingdom, to eventually make then de jure Georgia) and am part of the Byzantine Empire, seeing as they would've crushed me, otherwise. So, in my infinite wisdom, in the new emperor's weakest moment I forced him into giving me the Empire, as I wanted to see if I can screw things up for the next emperor later on (i.e. by creating kingdoms so that there'll be a lot of angry king-vassals come the next emperor, and I can effectively dismantle the empire and resume being the Kingdom of Georgia).

All well and good, I gave all my former lands to my son through revoking all my old vassal Doux's titles and giving them to him to pass around, so things look fine. However, my son (without any children) contracted both great pox and small pox within a year, and promptly fell dead on the floor. But not before I lowered the crown authority to 'autonomous vassals', to make internal power-plays much easier, for my son and others in the empire, before it crumbles. (Thankfully I hadn't yet created and distributed the kingdoms I was going to make earlier - like Greece, Anatolia, etc.)

So now I've got a daughter (with a newborn son) who not enough people want to vote for, plus I apparently can't give her any titles, regardless. So uh, when my current character dies, how screwed exactly am I? I take it only the base Kingdom of Georgia will go to my daughter (provided she doesn't become empress), and all the other duchies I've taken will come out of my grasp, right?

EDIT: I suppose I could imprison and execute her, and create the kingdoms that I used to possess, then give them to my grandson, although that won't really help my secondary goal of having Georgia swallowing up a whole load of other de jure duchies...

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 21, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Does anyone happen to know how common religious revolts in the fashion depicted in CK2 actually were? I know there were occasional uprisings of nobles of other religions, but these peasant revolts based on liberating poor oppressed Tengris from the tyrannical theocratic rule of their Suomensko nobles seem a little bit out there to be honest. I've been considering just modding out increased revolt risk for the wrong religion altogether personally.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

Does anyone happen to know how common religious revolts in the fashion depicted in CK2 actually were? I know there were occasional uprisings of nobles of other religions, but these peasant revolts based on liberating poor oppressed Tengris from the tyrannical theocratic rule of their Suomensko nobles seem a little bit out there to be honest. I've been considering just modding out increased revolt risk for the wrong religion altogether personally.

Generally speaking, as common as the people inciting them needed them to be.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Generally speaking, as common as the people inciting them needed them to be.

Is that a fancy way of saying "I have no idea"?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
:laffo: Darkrenown, you might wanna take a look at this exploit Arumba found, it's kind of hilarious/ridiculous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hebhp7wFcDk

From about 6:40 onwards. Feels like that loophole should prooobably be closed

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Allyn posted:

:laffo: Darkrenown, you might wanna take a look at this exploit Arumba found, it's kind of hilarious/ridiculous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hebhp7wFcDk

Everyone has been doing this since the day the Old Gods came out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What exactly is the exploit? You raid a place to kill off the troops, then attack it? Or is the idea that you raid with one stack to make yourself hostile, then capture with another stack? Or what?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Gort posted:

What exactly is the exploit? You raid a place to kill off the troops, then attack it? Or is the idea that you raid with one stack to make yourself hostile, then capture with another stack? Or what?
I think it's : he raids/sieges then the land is occupied by his troops, he then disbands the troops and declares war and he gets instant province occupation war score 100%, basically declaring the war and winning it instantly. Basically winning the holy-war before it's even started.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gort posted:

Here's the timestamp for the instant great holy war - you basically make your armies hostile to them by raiding, then use non-raider flagged armies to siege everything before declaring war.

The only thing it really bypasses is the AI's ability to call in their allies for the holy war since if they have a big army you won't be able to siege things down, but in this example he'd just crushed the HRE in a previous war so he just kept his armies raised after it finished and assaulted everything.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 21, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh hey, my ruler's wife is dead. Let's pick one with a good alliance... ooh a few princesses of the Byzantine empire. I married his sister off there, doesnt hurt to shore alliances up a bit.

It's not til after they're married til I notice that the gay princess is also his sister's daughter. :cripes: It keeps happening!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Gort posted:

There's two/three, in my opinion:
1) raiding a province with half looters and half non-looters. Finish the siege with looters to destroy the levy and raid a bunch of gold, then switching the leading stack to the non-looters and assaulting it -- it only has the bare minimum garrison at this point, so there's no risk. It gets you double the gold.
1a) The same method also allows you to raid with mercs when they aren't supposed to be able to. If you have raiders leading a siege and mercs supporting them, they WILL speed up the siege/help you with assaulting. Clearly they should act like holy orders do when attacking people of the same religion and refuse to.
2) As other people said, abusing 1 to allow you to occupy territory even when you're not at war to pre-siege everything in a war target to get an instant 100%. All occupations should probably wipe clean when you declare war on a target, really.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dick Trauma posted:

There's a difficulty setting? :psyduck:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. What difficulty settings? Ive been playing this thing for years and I never knew any difficulty settings.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I always liked that how when you sieged/assaulted a holding, you get gold directly from the owner of that holding. I also like how the owner will go into negative for this. It's like come on people, they came all the way from Scandinavia, we've got to give them something!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Is CK2+ still playable with the latest DLC?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Riso posted:

I think vassals should try to gain the crown for themselves significantly more often than just independence.

I would much prefer them to do this for the simple fact that if they win the realm will stick together and I ca work from within to reagin my place rather than everyone splitting into tiny little duchies and counties just to be gobbled up a month later by the empire next door.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Gail Wynand posted:

Is CK2+ still playable with the latest DLC?

No.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, I was thinking the same. What difficulty settings? Ive been playing this thing for years and I never knew any difficulty settings.

There is! Because I'm terrible at games, the first thing I usually do is look for difficulty settings even though it sets me up for a lot of bad habits. I think the difficulty in CK2 only affects your army's morale and your fertility rate. Your armies stick around for a (tiny) bit longer and you tend to have more progeny to carry on your legacy.

Come to think of it I could probably move it up to normal since it doesn't confer any specific penalties. I'm just a huge wimp.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
So I tried to find the save file to edit out all the religious unrest modifiers from pre-patch, but I've never done this before. Is it the one in the documents folder? I tried opening that one and it is all gibberish, even though the compress save file option is unchecked.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

pwnyXpress posted:

So I tried to find the save file to edit out all the religious unrest modifiers from pre-patch, but I've never done this before. Is it the one in the documents folder? I tried opening that one and it is all gibberish, even though the compress save file option is unchecked.

You're sure that that specific file was saved with compression off? Is it ironman?

Edit: while I'm here, how do people feel about the idea of "hybrid" education traits? As in, educations that would give a moderate bonus to two attributes, rather than one big bonus to one.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So for the Socotra start, whats preferable, going holy warring into the horn of Africa to get a foothold out of the immediate path of the Caliphate, or getting the rest of the de jure duchy Socotra on the Arabian peninsula is in, getting them off your back?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Allyn posted:

2) As other people said, abusing 1 to allow you to occupy territory even when you're not at war to pre-siege everything in a war target to get an instant 100%. All occupations should probably wipe clean when you declare war on a target, really.
Hell, you shouldn't be able to occupy territory of someone who's only hostile due to raiding. That's not what raiding is, after all. I had always assumed it was impossible.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Strudel Man posted:

Hell, you shouldn't be able to occupy territory of someone who's only hostile due to raiding. That's not what raiding is, after all. I had always assumed it was impossible.

I think it is currently possible because you need to be able to siege stuff taken by someone hostile due to wars over the same goals. They'd need to introduce a different type of hostile for raiding.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Allyn posted:

That's a problem with anti-raid AI being poo poo, and weaker targets not being able to rely on allies.

Also, stop linking this LP human being.

Strudel Man posted:

Even if the occupation didn't stick, the holdings would have reduced manpower and be easier to siege anyway. The fix can only be armies being effective at ending raids before they can win a siege.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I wish I could automate raid defence. Being on the receiving end of that poo poo three times a month is exactly as unfun as being the raider is fun. :argh:

Strudel Man posted:

I could actually see a large series of raids snowballing into a war of conquest- I think it works narratively- but gameplay-wise it's clearly all sorts of broken.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

You're sure that that specific file was saved with compression off? Is it ironman?

Edit: while I'm here, how do people feel about the idea of "hybrid" education traits? As in, educations that would give a moderate bonus to two attributes, rather than one big bonus to one.

I think that would be pretty sweet though you would have to have a minor penalty to more skills in return. I think it'd make more dynamic play and I'm always up for that because it gets boring never straying from raising a virtuous child.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong so I don't repeat the mistake, if someone wouldn't mind helping me out.

I was playing the Game of Thrones mod (which is amazing) as a Thenn Wildling. I managed to unite the Kingdom Beyond The Wall under my banner then piddled about for a few years collecting sons and daughters like Pokémon cards. I think I had like eleven kids, all but one of them legitimized bastards from battlefield trysts.

Then I decided to get a move on and make a push for the North. But obviously The Wall was in my way, and after about three attempts I managed to take it. I decided I wanted to move my King to Castle Black from Thenn and by the end of The Invasion of The Wall several of my male heirs had hit adult age.

My plan was to divide up my various titles amongst my sons, leaving Thenn to my direct next-in-line heir and take Castle Black/New Gift/Brandon's Gift as my own Demesne while giving everything else in my Kingdom to my heirs.

I did so, leaving my King with the titles to King Beyond The Wall, Thenn, Castle Black, New Gift, and Brandon's Gift. Then I gave Thenn to my eldest son and as soon as I clicked the "Send" button I got a game over. And I couldn't do anything to find out why because the score tally screen can't be circumvented and doesn't tell you jack beyond what your score is.

So any ideas? Why did giving Thenn to my son cause me to game over?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I have played very little of the GoT mod, but maybe the Wall holdings count as temples or something?

e: it sounds like what happens in vanilla if you somehow end up with one of the character types that are npc-only.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Can someone explain the mechanics of raiding as the Norse to me? I've started as Whiteshirt and conquered England, still have no idea how it works. It only seems to let me activate on my own or my vassal's provinces...I must be really missing something, because I don't quite get why I'd want to steal my own gold. Help please.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Esroc posted:

I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong so I don't repeat the mistake, if someone wouldn't mind helping me out.

I was playing the Game of Thrones mod (which is amazing) as a Thenn Wildling. I managed to unite the Kingdom Beyond The Wall under my banner then piddled about for a few years collecting sons and daughters like Pokémon cards. I think I had like eleven kids, all but one of them legitimized bastards from battlefield trysts.

Then I decided to get a move on and make a push for the North. But obviously The Wall was in my way, and after about three attempts I managed to take it. I decided I wanted to move my King to Castle Black from Thenn and by the end of The Invasion of The Wall several of my male heirs had hit adult age.

My plan was to divide up my various titles amongst my sons, leaving Thenn to my direct next-in-line heir and take Castle Black/New Gift/Brandon's Gift as my own Demesne while giving everything else in my Kingdom to my heirs.

I did so, leaving my King with the titles to King Beyond The Wall, Thenn, Castle Black, New Gift, and Brandon's Gift. Then I gave Thenn to my eldest son and as soon as I clicked the "Send" button I got a game over. And I couldn't do anything to find out why because the score tally screen can't be circumvented and doesn't tell you jack beyond what your score is.

So any ideas? Why did giving Thenn to my son cause me to game over?

I'm going to call bug on this one because you still had heirs and still had landed titles. The only thing I can think of is you somehow gave every one of your heirs a theocracy and disinherited them and your leader died, beyond that I can't think of any other way. Maybe you had elective monarchy with a vassal as heir, your leader died and as the kingdom was his only title and the heir is none dynasty you got game over.

Edit: I forgot about the bit where you said after you sent it. In that case you probably left your character with the title of thenn and an npc title (maybe the GoT version of the pope) handing away thenn left you with the wrong title type resulting in instant game over.

Thrasophius fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 21, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

What Fun posted:

Can someone explain the mechanics of raiding as the Norse to me? I've started as Whiteshirt and conquered England, still have no idea how it works. It only seems to let me activate on my own or my vassal's provinces...I must be really missing something, because I don't quite get why I'd want to steal my own gold. Help please.

You have to activate them in your territory, they won't raid. Stick them on a boat and drop them somewhere, maybe Ireland or Brittany, and they'll start raiding. Get them back on the boat to secure the gold you steal.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

What Fun posted:

You activate it on your own provinces, and move the army to the province you wanna raid. If the province borders any of yours or if you have ships adjacent to it, you get ducats. Someone else probably knows more than me, but that's the basic of it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

What Fun posted:

Yeah, you can only switch into raiding mode in your own territory- but you won't actually raid your own territory. Once you hit the toggle, you need to walk (or boat) your mans into someone else's land and then they'll start looting it. Province needs to be adjacent to your territory or to a sea zone with your boats in it for you to get the gold, mind.

e:f;b

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CommonTerry posted:

Even if the occupation didn't stick, the holdings would have reduced manpower and be easier to siege anyway. The fix can only be armies being effective at ending raids before they can win a siege.
If they couldn't do the actual occupation right afterward, it wouldn't really save them that much effort. Garrisons recover decently quickly.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Thrasophius posted:

I'm going to call bug on this one because you still had heirs and still had landed titles. The only thing I can think of is you somehow gave every one of your heirs a theocracy and disinherited them and your leader died, beyond that I can't think of any other way. Maybe you had elective monarchy with a vassal as heir, your leader died and as the kingdom was his only title and the heir is none dynasty you got game over.

Edit: I forgot about the bit where you said after you sent it. In that case you probably left your character with the title of thenn and an npc title (maybe the GoT version of the pope) handing away thenn left you with the wrong title type resulting in instant game over.

I loaded up a quick game and checked to see if The Wall consists of churches like a previous poster said, but no dice. All County Castles across the board.

At this point I'm leaning toward a bug was well. In the absolute least I had three Counties and a Kingdom title when I handed Thenn to my heir. There's just no reason I can think of as to why that wouldn't be enough to continue playing.

Also, is there ever a chance of Daenerys getting married or having kids during her travels? I haven't had a single game where she didn't die long before she ever even considered heading toward the Iron Throne. And then her bloodline dies and her kingdom crumbles. I'd like to be able to defend my lands from her descendants someday during a game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hey, I joined the Group and have read what -days- that people play this dumb game, but not what -times-. If I'm interested in Online fuckery, when should I make myself available?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Autonomous Monster posted:

I wish I could automate raid defence. Being on the receiving end of that poo poo three times a month is exactly as unfun as being the raider is fun. :argh:

This reminds me of something I meant to ask; is there a way to order a unit to automatically follow an enemy until they catch them, or do you always have play the game of "I ordered my troops to go to county X, so he shifts his destination to county Y. I change to county Y to follow him and he changes back to county X."

Because if there isn't a command for that there really should be.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This reminds me of something I meant to ask; is there a way to order a unit to automatically follow an enemy until they catch them, or do you always have play the game of "I ordered my troops to go to county X, so he shifts his destination to county Y. I change to county Y to follow him and he changes back to county X."

Because if there isn't a command for that there really should be.

I kind of like that aspect of unit movement. Instead of chasing an enemy army around the countryside you're forced to think more strategically. Blocking enemy advances, funneling them into specific areas to keep them on the defensive while you wait for more men, or breaking them up for a divide and conquer. It's actually one of my favorite parts of the game once I get a large kingdom with several units to look after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Has anybody else encountered this weird bug I've been getting?

I've been independent from the game start, but ~50 or so years ago I saw that I was unable to create the kingdom of Scotland because it was the same level as my liege's. I've also got ambitions to become a councillor, which are impossible since i'm independent. It went away on its own before, but now the Pope has called a crusade and I can't join, presumably because my non-existent liege has to join it himself.

• Locked thread