Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BJPaskoff posted:

They couldn't be used in the store championships, and I heard they wouldn't be tournament legal until the wave 4 ships came out, but I'm not 100% sure that's true. A bunch of people had to redo their Imperial lists for store championships when they found that out. It even made casual play with them discouraging, because people wanted to get in tournament practice.

Why in gods name would FFG think that's a good idea? Did they ever explain anything about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

A bunch of stores already had their championship tournaments before it was released so they wanted to keep things consistent.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

zVxTeflon posted:

A bunch of stores already had their championship tournaments before it was released so they wanted to keep things consistent.

Ahh...well that sorta makes sense then. I would think they'd allow them at Regionals and the like though...

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
The issue is also that previously, only the expansions listed in the tournament rules were legal for FFG tournaments. That meant that they'd need to issue an update for every time something came out. Now stuff is by default legal, although I still would not be surprised if they ban stuff that comes out during the middle of a tournament series, just so the playing field is level.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
:siren:Colonel Jendon now useless for TIE Bomber lists:siren:

From the new FAQ

quote:

Colonel Jendon may assign 1 of his blue target
lock tokens to a ship that does not have the
target lock action listed in its action bar.

:negative: What's the point of ST-321 and Jendon if you don't have target locks to pass off. Thanks to Targeting Computer I can add the Lock action to pretty much all the TIEs I could want at much less the cost of Jendon and ST-321.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Leo Showers posted:

:siren:Colonel Jendon now useless for TIE Bomber lists:siren:

From the new FAQ

:negative: What's the point of ST-321 and Jendon if you don't have target locks to pass off. Thanks to Targeting Computer I can add the Lock action to pretty much all the TIEs I could want at much less the cost of Jendon and ST-321.

I'm not sure what's going on here. I don't see that in the FAQ, it just says he can send one to someone who doesn't have a target lock already. Even then, isn't your quote just saying he can give target locks to folks who can't normally get them?

Edit must be my phone

alg fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 16, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shows that for me.

dunno why his text is red though.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
This doesn't mean that he can't give it to those who do have it. This is under clarifications, not errata. It's verifying that yes, you may give target locks to those who do not have that action. It doesn't mean you can't if they do. It's a clarification in addition to the card text, not a replacement.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its poorly phrased then.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

zVxTeflon posted:

Its poorly phrased then.

Not really, at least not to me, a Magic judge who's learned over ~20 years how to interpret game rule jargon. The thing that's going to confuse many players is that it's in red, which seems to imply that you should read it differently than all the other clarifications.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Red equals new in this version.

Edit: I think.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

If taken as a clarification, it makes sense. I think that it's poorly phrased still, I'd phrase it as "Colonel Jendon may assign 1 of his blue target lock tokens to any friendly ship at range 1, regardless if it has the 'Target Lock' action or not." I think runs as a better clarification because it is not excluding ships with a target lock action.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Leo Showers posted:

If taken as a clarification, it makes sense. I think that it's poorly phrased still, I'd phrase it as "Colonel Jendon may assign 1 of his blue target lock tokens to any friendly ship at range 1, regardless if it has the 'Target Lock' action or not." I think runs as a better clarification because it is not excluding ships with a target lock action.

It's under a section labeled "Clarifications", and not the section labeled "Errata", how much more explicit do they need to be that it's not new card text and simply an explanation of what you can do?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The Gate posted:

It's under a section labeled "Clarifications", and not the section labeled "Errata", how much more explicit do they need to be that it's not new card text and simply an explanation of what you can do?

:eyepop:

I just initially assumed due to the red text, no need to sperg out about it.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
Since we have the maneuver dials revealed, I decided to print myself out a copy and do some Defender test runs. I had a chance to do so last night with two games against the Rebels and was overall impressed with what it brought to my list. I ran:

[36] Soontir Fel + Push the Limit + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device + Hull Upgrade
[34] Turr Phennir + Push the Limit + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device + Hull Upgrade
[30] Delta Squadron Pilot

I don't normally do 3-ship builds because I find them to be too fragile, but with the Defender and the Hull Upgrades in play, I figured I was tough enough to survive. The first list I played was Chewie in the Falcon with PtL and an Engine Upgrade, a Rookie with a Shield Upgrade, and a B-Wing with Ion Cannon. Turr died early to some unlucky defense rolls and the Defender did a fairly decent job of chasing the Falcon around and dropping its shields while Soontir finished off the B. Eventually the Defender burned, but I managed to crawl back to a victory with just Soontir left on the table (I love that guy).

The second match was against Wedge with an R2 unit trying out Outmaneuver, a Chardaan Refit Green Squadron with PtL and VI, a Rookie, and a Blue with Advanced Sensors. I homed everyone in on the souped up Wedge, but he lived long enough to K-Turn and get a -2 agility shot at Turr before the Defender finished him. The rest of this match really sold me on the Defender as a strong reliable ship. I was able to K-Turn over and over while taking Focus actions and doing some pretty heavy damage without taking very much in return and mop up.

I really enjoy the PS 1 version of the Defender because, aside from being the cheapest, it lets you always know where you're going to end up if you choose to take the K-Turn action. In some cases I could see it being nice to have guys move out of the way before I turned, but overall it worked great. I think the biggest key to flying these ships is just making sure you have that K-turn available to you by making good use of barrel rolls before you close for combat to give yourself an open avenue to do the back and forth while avoiding ships and asteroids.

Has anyone else had a chance to proxy any TIE Defenders on the table yet? What have your experiences been?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I haven't, but I think the Delta TIE/D looks to be the best value, even without any secondary weapons or upgrades. Unless the PS3 pilot has an EPT I'll probably get the most play time out of the PS1. I'm trying to get a game in this week, but I think the Defender actually looks really solid.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Picked up the LCG set today which has Dash Rendar in it. The objective has the same art as Outmaneuver, but it's a different part of the art. It's Outrider. :getin:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Guest poster on The Metal Bikini laid out a whole theory on why it's the 2400 and what stats might be- http://www.themetalbikini.com/2014/04/predicting-possibilities-with-matt.html

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

alg posted:

Picked up the LCG set today which has Dash Rendar in it. The objective has the same art as Outmaneuver, but it's a different part of the art. It's Outrider. :getin:

Weird, the Outmaneuver card has a Defender on it, but this is a TIE. The Outrider portion is the same though.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

TIE Defender is therefore confirmed to be a hoax.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

pbpancho posted:

Weird, the Outmaneuver card has a Defender on it, but this is a TIE. The Outrider portion is the same though.

Its one big piece. The defender is just cut off in this one.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

God I wonder how often they do this, and what kind of scale the original art is. How many cards are actually using one piece of art? :psyduck:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
There is only once piece of art. Total. It's the size of a town and they just cut and paste pieces of it together

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Man, I picked up this game at PAX east and I'm super hooked already. Me and a friend both bought sets and play pretty regularly, but there aren't any stores in my state that run games.

New player question: assuming I have a starter set, would you recommend buying two smaller ships or the falcon (I like playing rebels)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The Falcon is a really, really solid ship with a ton of options.

The B-Wing and X-Wing expansions are really great, too, and see a lot of use in competitive lists.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone else thing we might need a new or updated OP for this thread? A lot of the images are broken, and there's so much new stuff out now. I didn't want to step on any toes by creating a new thread, but I haven't seen WerrWaaa post in here since January.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Carteret posted:

God I wonder how often they do this, and what kind of scale the original art is. How many cards are actually using one piece of art? :psyduck:

The non-Imperial ship is rotated between the two cards, so I suspect both craft are in the larger picture.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The non-Imperial ship is rotated between the two cards, so I suspect both craft are in the larger picture.

Yeah, I know. The point of the post was to point that out, and since you can see other blaster fire coming from off image, what else is in that one piece of art.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Carteret posted:

Yeah, I know. The point of the post was to point that out, and since you can see other blaster fire coming from off image, what else is in that one piece of art.

I guess we need to look for Rebel ships chasing a TIE Fighter or Defender with an odd spiral pattern in the background.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Soontir Feel PtL is amazing. I won a game with him in which I lost all my other ships by end of round 3. Left fighting a rookie x and two hlc daggers, all with shields left, one dagger untouched. Managed to down the x-wing and one dagger, leaving the score at 71 to 70 my favor. Might've been blues? PS 2, anyway.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This list has been great for me so far. I'm thinking about using it in my LGS's tournament on May 3rd (Brothers Grim in Selden, NY):

code:
100 points

Pilots
------

Wedge Antilles (33)
X-Wing (29), Shield Upgrade (4)

Biggs Darklighter (33)
X-Wing (25), R2-D2 (4), Shield Upgrade (4)

Ten Numb (34)
B-Wing (31), Advanced Sensors (3)
High PS, great firepower with Wedge and Ten Numb, and Biggs soaks up hits. The shield upgrades have really been worth their points.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

BJPaskoff posted:

High PS, great firepower with Wedge and Ten Numb, and Biggs soaks up hits. The shield upgrades have really been worth their points.
Maybe I should look into Ten some more.
It's difficult to take him since, for 34 points, I could field a Dagger with HLC and AdvSen.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

That's certainly a ton of high PS pilots that can lay on the hurt and still be durable enough to survive a small while.

:drat:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4775

:stare::fh:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Reading through the actual rules, after a huge ship rams a smaller ship it also rolls an attack die for each ship destroyed and suffers the damage rolled.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

Reading through the actual rules, after a huge ship rams a smaller ship it also rolls an attack die for each ship destroyed and suffers the damage rolled.

Yeah, but what is two dice vs 5 Shields and 8 hull? :getin:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think it's pretty interesting, the additional 2x green dice at Range 4 and 3x green dice at range 5 is pretty good, I was wondering how they would balance it out. The rules for energy are out too, which puts to rest the speculation.

Looks really good, I don't have an issue with any of the rules, I just want to be able to play a game against them :neckbeard:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Is there a Vassal community for X-Wing? I acquired a taste for the game with a friend I don't get to see often.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Yup. Largely centered around TeamCovenant- a store/group out of somewhere in the midwest. Their site is pretty active, and the guy who does the Vassal mod posts regularly there. I play on Vassal from time to time- same username. Hit me up if you see me on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I might come in the lobby tomorrow. If not, definitely thursday. I'm winding down a semester so lots of free time coming up.

How does this look for 100 points? I'm still getting the ropes of the game but I like the idea of it.

Omicron Group Pilot (36)
Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Fire-Control System (2), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Darth Vader (3), Weapons Engineer (3)

Soontir Fel (33)
TIE Interceptor (27), Push the Limit (3), Stealth Device (3)

Carnor Jax (31)
TIE Interceptor (26), Elusiveness (2), Stealth Device (3)

The shuttle would be constantly firing focus+targetlock for big damage, 4 dice against base agility at any range, and I figure it could be worth it to take 2 damage to ensure a kill then and there. The Ties are super-defensive and can hold their own in range 1 where they would also get 4 attack dice.

The biggest issue I can see is getting all the dang cards if I wanted to buy this army. Also, I guess the manueverability of the Interceptors is pretty predictable if they are constantly stressed, so it probably has a weakness to k-turns.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 22, 2014

• Locked thread