Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Man, that sounds great. Sad to see prophet end, but this seems really promising.

Has anyone been keeping up with the Brian Wood Star Wars? I liked the first couple issues but dropped it for reasons of :tenbux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Waterhaul posted:

Given that Glory is done and Prophet is ending soon Image are rolling along with a new reboot/relaunch/reimaging/re-whatever of another old Liefeld property. This time it's his an Alan Moore's old book Supreme but with Warren Ellis and Tula Lotay doing it. Ellis is Ellis and I've really liked what I've seen from Lotay's stuff. Should be good.

On a related note, are there any plans to actually reprint the Alan Moore Supreme? I can't seem to find it anywhere, which is a shame since it was apparently good Alan Moore.

On an unrelated note, thank you to everyone who recommended Rat Queens. The trade was one of the most fun reads I had ever read.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

pugnax posted:

Has anyone been keeping up with the Brian Wood Star Wars? I liked the first couple issues but dropped it for reasons of :tenbux:

It's been pretty good, though it'll be ending with #19 because of Disney buying Lucasfilm. Ryan Kelly's work on the series was his usual fine quality, and one issue in particular by Carlos d'Anda (I think it was #9) was really dynamic. Story-wise, I think it's had better smaller moments (Leia confronting the engineer of the Death Star in exile, Luke returning home to bury his aunt and uncle), and the grander story is largely serviceable. There was a nice two-issue story of an Imperial cadet having to accompany Darth Vader on a secret mission that was pretty boss.

Wood seems to strive to be wholly less flippant about galactic war than the original source material and I think he's been mostly successful in making that compelling.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Has anyone ever been successfully sued for ripping off a character? Not actual use, like happens with Peter Pan or some parts of Holmes, but ripping off in the way Supreme, Samaritan, Hyperion, etc all rip off Superman.

Well, back in the 1940's National Comics (the company that would become DC Comics) sued Fawcett over the fact that Captain Marvel was too much like Superman. I'm that's the closest thing I could think of that would be like what you're describing. It was somewhat ironic, since when Superman first came out some pulp writers thought of suing Shuster and Siegel.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really wasn't a fan of the Brian Wood Star Wars title. He has some really weird characterization of the movie characters, big plot events that happen offscreen and/or aren't explained in a satisfactory way, other plotlines that are dragged out way too long with no real resolution (Han and Chewie on Coruscant for like half the series) and, though this is completely subjective, a number of his concepts have been done elsewhere in the expanded universe and his take wasn't really unique or interesting enough for me to enjoy seeing it yet again.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

Given that Glory is done and Prophet is ending soon Image are rolling along with a new reboot/relaunch/reimaging/re-whatever of another old Liefeld property. This time it's his an Alan Moore's old book Supreme but with Warren Ellis and Tula Lotay doing it. Ellis is Ellis and I've really liked what I've seen from Lotay's stuff. Should be good.

Awesome, Supreme is probably my favourite comic book story that does the whole metafictional narrative stuff and maybe now Supreme can have a decent ending that isn't a cliffhanger/Erik Larson crap that STILL had a cliffhanger.

I'd assume Blue Rose or whoever that girl on the front cover is, is Supreme's daughter- at least judging by her white hair and the fact that Larson's run ended with Diana being pregnant.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
The art on Star Wars bugged the poo poo out if me: every light source had a gradient around it that washed out the art in rest of the panel. I couldn't get past the second issue.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Awesome, Supreme is probably my favourite comic book story that does the whole metafictional narrative stuff and maybe now Supreme can have a decent ending that isn't a cliffhanger/Erik Larson crap that STILL had a cliffhanger.

I'd assume Blue Rose or whoever that girl on the front cover is, is Supreme's daughter- at least judging by her white hair and the fact that Larson's run ended with Diana being pregnant.

Erik Larsen worked on Supreme after Alan Moore? I have the two Checker TPBs of Alan Moore's brilliant, beautiful Supreme run (his best work of the '90s and 2000s, and I include his America's Best Comics stuff), but I didn't know anyone else picked it up where he left off.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

On a related note, are there any plans to actually reprint the Alan Moore Supreme? I can't seem to find it anywhere, which is a shame since it was apparently good Alan Moore.

On an unrelated note, thank you to everyone who recommended Rat Queens. The trade was one of the most fun reads I had ever read.

I emailed comixology asking them to digitally release it and a real person replied and said they would check with the publisher. You guys should all email comixology and ask them again! I need this comic.

edit: They have some issues, but it's real spotty and published by "Devil's Due Digital"

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 22, 2014

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Erik Larsen worked on Supreme after Alan Moore? I have the two Checker TPBs of Alan Moore's brilliant, beautiful Supreme run (his best work of the '90s and 2000s, and I include his America's Best Comics stuff), but I didn't know anyone else picked it up where he left off.

Alan Moore's run technically ended with that issue involving the 'new' Supremium Man and the Jimmy Olsen Analogue turning out to be this new Supremium Man in yet another weird recursive timeline thing iirc. But Moore still had one more script written that was never drawn/published. This issue was drawn by Larsen about 2 years ago and basically it picks up on the Darius Dax ruling Daxia subplot that never played out in Moore's run. Unfortunately that issue was largely a cliffhanger but it's still pretty good overall.

....Then Larsen continued writing and drawing Supreme and it's honestly not that good though I can kinda see what he was trying to do with it, edgy 90s Supreme comes back and the story kinda grinds to a halt with just 90s Supreme going on a rampage for like 5 issues straight. And then it suddenly gets cancelled on yet another cliffhanger.

I'd probably get a hold of the last issue written by Moore since I remember it still being good, but hopefully Ellis's run will pick up from there and largely ignore Larsen's stuff. It sounds like it is judging by the references to Darius Dax ruling the world but no mention of Liefeld Supreme.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 22, 2014

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

DoctorDelaware posted:

Recently discovered that there is a Rocky & Bullwinkle comic from IDW, so I picked that up. I was somewhat excited to see that Roger Langridge was involved--he did great work on the Muppet Show comics from a few years ago--but it turns out he's only drawing R&B. This was unfortunate, because Mark Evanier doesn't really seem to have a grasp on R&B's style of humor; I think I only had one actual laugh from those two issues.

Evanier's been blogging about writing those for a while. I like his blog, I don't usually like his comics tho.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Unmature posted:

That's the best pitch I've heard for a comic in years. Looking into this now.

There's also Five Weapons from Image by Jimmie Robinson, which is more "kiddy-friendly" than Deadly Class (simpler story, lighter art, no killing on-screen despite being a school of assassins, etc).

Here are Comics Alliance's review of the first 2 issues (the first storyline is collected on a TPB)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Alan Moore's run technically ended with that issue involving the 'new' Supremium Man and the Jimmy Olsen Analogue turning out to be this new Supremium Man in yet another weird recursive timeline thing iirc. But Moore still had one more script written that was never drawn/published. This issue was drawn by Larsen about 2 years ago and basically it picks up on the Darius Dax ruling Daxia subplot that never played out in Moore's run. Unfortunately that issue was largely a cliffhanger but it's still pretty good overall.

....Then Larsen continued writing and drawing Supreme and it's honestly not that good though I can kinda see what he was trying to do with it, edgy 90s Supreme comes back and the story kinda grinds to a halt with just 90s Supreme going on a rampage for like 5 issues straight. And then it suddenly gets cancelled on yet another cliffhanger.

I'd probably get a hold of the last issue written by Moore since I remember it still being good, but hopefully Ellis's run will pick up from there and largely ignore Larsen's stuff. It sounds like it is judging by the references to Darius Dax ruling the world but no mention of Liefeld Supreme.

I liked the ideas that Larsen was playing with in his run (the multiverse Supremes all getting power negated, leaving only EXXXXXTREME 90S SUPREME as king rear end in a top hat) but yeah, the idea never really got off the ground (although I liked the bit about the one Supreme with a Lion head getting depowered... but still having the head of a lion, so he's just some dude with a lion head.) and the book just meandered until it was cancelled, which was a shame.

I love Larsen, but whenever he plays in someone else's yard, it doesn't feel as tight as with what he's doing with Savage Dragon.

e: Reminder, Evan Dorkin's new Eltingville comes out today!

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 23, 2014

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

Was going through my stack and got Genesis by Alison Sampson and Nathan Edmonson which was really good. Sampson's style reminds me a lot of Travel Foreman and just does such great work with the architecture of the page. She has some preview pages up on her tumblr but the stuff in the book manages to be even better.

It's a done in one story about a guy who gets the power to create whatever he wants and plays out as an interesting fable. Edmondson manages to be just what it should and keeps things dream like enough but also explains just the right amount that you want from the book, really good stuff.

This is worth buying for the art alone, and that's coming from someone who was not at all a fan of Edmonson's writing. Shell out the $7, look at Sampson's incredible work, and I guess read the words if you want to.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

ruddiger posted:

e: Reminder, Evan Dorkin's new Eltingville comes out today!

Picked it up yesterday and, good lord, that is some drat good comics!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I picked up the first trade of Fatale last night. I really enjoyed if. Great little horror/pulp read.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Bandette is a really friendly, fun, feel-good European-caper comic from Monkeybrain, digital issues always $0.99 each.

Anyone recommend anything else from Monkeybrain? Or anything else that's always that cheap, no need to wait for sales?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I really like High Crimes, but I haven't seen it brought up at all in here, and the scheduling is a little erratic.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
https://www.humblebundle.com/

GUYS GUYS GUYS! Digital trades on HumbleBundle. All Vol 1's.

Any donation:
East of West (worth it for this)
Fatale (Heard good things)
Lazarus (someone in this thread just said it was good I don't know)
Morning Glories (very nick spencer. Kind of fun but never seems to really go anywhere)

Above average (Currently about 10 bucks)

Saga (worth it just for this. So good)
Revival (no idea)
Chew (great book)

$15 or more gets you Walking Dead Vol 1 and Vol 20. If you're into that sort of thing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly I don't know why those tiers aren't reversed but I'm really glad they aren't.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

I read the first five or so issues of revival - pretty neat take on the zombie idea. Suddenly the dead are coming back in a random small town, but they seem to be pretty benevolent.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I've been getting the trades for Revival, and I'm really digging it. It's not a zombie story necessarily--people ARE coming back from the dead, but they're the newish dead, so they aren't rotting away, and the living can't necessarily tell based on appearance. Without giving too much away, conflict comes in when living people find out who the dead are, from the dead themselves, and from a few unexplained (as of yet) sources that are probably related to people coming back. If you like zombie stories, it's probably worth it. I don't like zombie stories, for what it's worth, and I've been enjoying it. It's a little graphic, but I wouldn't say it's gratuitously so.

However, like Nevvy Z said, it'd be worth the higher cost for Saga alone.

Edit: ^^^ Beaten! :argh: But now there's two goons willing to vouch for it, for that's worth!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well hot drat, I just bought it. Couldn't give a crap about the Walking Dead so I paid about :10bux:

Between Saga, Prophet, Sex Criminals, Storm Dogs, Manhattan Projects and one or two others, Image is becoming my absolute favourite comic publisher, so I'm excited to give some of these ones I haven't heard of a try.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

The Massive is getting really good, if you're into that sprawly DMZ-esque Brian Wood thing. The art isn't holding up to the standard of the first arc, but it's still really interestingly drawn and the narrative that is emerging is weird as hell.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Niemat posted:

I've been getting the trades for Revival, and I'm really digging it. It's not a zombie story necessarily--people ARE coming back from the dead, but they're the newish dead, so they aren't rotting away, and the living can't necessarily tell based on appearance. Without giving too much away, conflict comes in when living people find out who the dead are, from the dead themselves, and from a few unexplained (as of yet) sources that are probably related to people coming back. If you like zombie stories, it's probably worth it. I don't like zombie stories, for what it's worth, and I've been enjoying it. It's a little graphic, but I wouldn't say it's gratuitously so.

However, like Nevvy Z said, it'd be worth the higher cost for Saga alone.

Edit: ^^^ Beaten! :argh: But now there's two goons willing to vouch for it, for that's worth!

To add on to this, it's also a sorta about how a small town under a bad situation (quarantine) copes with their situation, and the way they're all forced to stay in one small space. It's sort of Twin Peaks in the tune of Fargo. It has the standard "Small town with big (deadly) secrets". Despite never being truly great, mostly just alright, I've had a weird soft spot to never stop reading it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Everyone should pick up Southern Bastards, it's super loving good and Jason Aaron is a rad as hell dude.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

pugnax posted:

The Massive is getting really good, if you're into that sprawly DMZ-esque Brian Wood thing. The art isn't holding up to the standard of the first arc, but it's still really interestingly drawn and the narrative that is emerging is weird as hell.

I actually really like Garry Brown's style. The couple of issues ago where Callum left Mag on the train was particularly striking. His faces are kinda gnarly but the expressions and emotions always come through.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Senor Candle posted:

Everyone should pick up Southern Bastards, it's super loving good and Jason Aaron is a rad as hell dude.

Latour kills on art, too. The character he imbues each face with is terrific; I don't think there's a single man from Craw County that hasn't had his nose broken at least once.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Senor Candle posted:

I took this man's advice and was not disappointed

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Southern Bastards was great, Mega-City Two continues to be amazing fun.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is southern bastards closer to scalped than to his Marvel work?

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

bobkatt013 posted:

Is southern bastards closer to scalped than to his Marvel work?

It is, but this has a different tone than Scalped. It's more gothic.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I hate to echo chamber too much but hell yes to Southern Bastards. That final few pages of nonlinear montage was exceptional.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Fatale is really good and you all should read it.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

coconono posted:

Fatale is really good and you all should read it.

Yeah I can only assume everyone is reading it. It's going to end soonish, but I am amped as gently caress about their new contract with image - the big conspiracy theory WW2 craziness.

Velvet is also fun as hell.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Is anybody else reading Lazarus? Because I have a huge question about a plot point in the last issue...

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Shitshow posted:

Is anybody else reading Lazarus? Because I have a huge question about a plot point in the last issue...

Are people not reading Lazarus? What's the question?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Are people not reading Lazarus? What's the question?

How did Angel get from the Los Angeles domain to, like, a hundred miles north east of Denver in a matter of days? I assumed that movement on the roads would be almost impossible with all of the family monitoring.

Maybe it's one of those things that can be explained in any number of ways, but it seems to cut against the grain of the established world's "rules".

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Has there been much indication of amount of time passing? Sorry, my latest issue is boxed already. The answer is almost assuredly "He just did."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rat Queens isn't coming out frequently enough :(