Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
That's a Jetta. I haven't done this yet on mine, but seeing how cool it is, I may just drive it like that. All the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Should probably be cheap (or at least cheaper) to replace the outer door panel if it gets dented, too.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I guess that doesn't have to be welded back on then.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The first VAG that had that AFAIK is the Golf Mk5 (meaning 2003-ish)

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I guess that doesn't have to be welded back on then.

Just a bunch of bolts. I took mine off to cover in dynamat when I replaced my jettas stereo. No tambourines there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fucknag posted:

How to replace a window regulator latch assembly (I'm now told), German style:

Don't know the car, looks like some sort of VAG.

This has to be the easiest to fix VAG product I've seen.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Sadly the MK6 went back to a crimped door style. Hopefully internal repairs are a bit easier as a result..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fire Storm posted:

THANK YOU for posting this phrase. This led me to websites that said replacing this might actually fix a longstanding idle problem I've been having.

Occasional inability to idle on it's own when it's above 50f out and the engine is re-started when warm when sitting for 5-90 minutes.

It's been a while since I had the focus but I seem to remember it was when the engine was cold it wouldn't run well, not when it was warm but who the gently caress knows with all the emissions garbage that they put on to reduce carbon emissions by .01lbs/year. If I recall I was required to heel toe in the winter not the summer. It's a bit bitch to get to without removing stuff but if you you can get to it it's super easy and can be fixed with like $3 of rubber hose and 15-20 min of swearing at the placement to fit it to the throttle body.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Any of the plastic Saturn cars have removable door skins, though they mix inner/outer accessibility for various parts.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Was thinking about that door pic the entire time today while replacing a regulator on a Honda. It made me furious.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Fucknag posted:

How to replace a window regulator latch assembly (I'm now told), German style:

Don't know the car, looks like some sort of VAG.

While still a pain in the rear end, this style of door is a welcome change from the older VWs. Except that the door locks are no longer serviceable and don't have a code printed on them, so there's almost no reason for me to ever take one apart...

I ran across a couple of spectacular mechanical/electrical failures while I was out working the other day.

Firstly, we have this luxurious example of fine German engineering:

I'm told one of the guys simply hit the start button to get the mileage, and it went up like a pile of kindling.

Secondly, we have what I think may have been a Ford Escape:

This was towed in neutral with the wheels on the ground. Always use your dollies!

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Not like it matters if was towed or dragged. A car fire is almost always a total loss.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

A Melted Tarp posted:

Not like it matters if was towed or dragged. A car fire is almost always a total loss.

It wasn't on fire until it was improperly towed, at which point it was dropped on the side of the interstate to burn out.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Slanderer posted:

That's...not how it works. Capacitors from like the 50's and poo poo have electrolyte that dried out after decades, but aluminum electrolytic capacitors are entirely sealed. Devices from a decade ago failed due to the "capacitor plague", where stolen (incomplete) electrolyte formulas were used by lovely no-name manufacturers. Over time, this bad electrolyte broke down and generated gas, causing the capacitors to vent. Other (good) capacitors fail due to being exposed to temperatures or voltages they are not rated for, which can also cause them to break down and vent.

But they aren't filled with water. They are filled with electrolyte. It's what capacitors crave.

What on earth do you suppose the electrolyte in a liquid electrolytic capacitor consists of? Water is a pretty common solvent in this application. And even when it's an organic solvent instead, this does not mean it cannot "dry out".

Yes, aluminum electrolytics are sealed, but this does not mean all seals are perfect out of the factory, or that seal materials do not age. And even high quality aluminum electrolytics not made from badly copied electrolyte formulas tend to have a shockingly short rated lifespan at max operating temperature, often well under 5000 hours. Aqueous solutions at high temperature find a way to boil off / evaporate / escape, who knew!

Solid tantalum electrolytics and the more recently developed solid aluminum electrolytics (using a solid polymer "electrolyte" instead of liquid) don't have these problems, but are a lot more expensive.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BobHoward posted:

What on earth do you suppose the electrolyte in a liquid electrolytic capacitor consists of? Water is a pretty common solvent in this application. And even when it's an organic solvent instead, this does not mean it cannot "dry out".

Yes, aluminum electrolytics are sealed, but this does not mean all seals are perfect out of the factory, or that seal materials do not age. And even high quality aluminum electrolytics not made from badly copied electrolyte formulas tend to have a shockingly short rated lifespan at max operating temperature, often well under 5000 hours. Aqueous solutions at high temperature find a way to boil off / evaporate / escape, who knew!

Solid tantalum electrolytics and the more recently developed solid aluminum electrolytics (using a solid polymer "electrolyte" instead of liquid) don't have these problems, but are a lot more expensive.

This guy speaks the truth. I have no idea who he is, but it's the truth.

"sealed" is only in relative terms when you're talking about what is essentially an aluminum can full of wet paper and aluminum foil with a rubber cork in one end.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

BobHoward posted:

Even the solid polymer electrolytics don't like being driven at their maximum temperature for too long - this NichiCon, for example, is only rated for 2000 hours at 105 degrees.

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!

Slanderer posted:

They are filled with electrolyte. It's what capacitors crave.

You're awesome.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

BobHoward posted:

I don't like tantalum caps because their failure mode is short circuit, aka fire, if whatever they are on isn't severely current limited. Al-El caps may stop working sooner, but at least they fail open instead of causing an internal thermite type reaction.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Hillridge posted:

I don't like tantalum caps because their failure mode is short circuit, aka fire, if whatever they are on isn't severely current limited. Al-El caps may stop working sooner, but at least they fail open instead of causing an internal thermite type reaction.

Plus, they sound like they're named after Superman's dad or something.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This is as good a thread as any to post my friend's shop of horrors.

Bandsaw is behind some junk:

Switch is down here:

This supplies power to most of the equipment:

Including this sander, which has no power switch beyond being unplugged (just like half the other stationary tools):

Sander is also weighed down by these:

"Yeah that's been like that for a while"

An OSHA inspector would probably stroke out in this place.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Javid posted:

Switch is down here:

Including this sander, which has no power switch beyond being unplugged (just like half the other stationary tools):

Not pictured: the 55-gallon garbage barrel overflowing with empty Bud Light cans

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Javid posted:

Switch is down here:

The last one had my mouth hanging open, I admit it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

hey man, gotta keep the plugs out of the standing water on the floor somehow! That would just be unsafe.

The picture of the sander reminded me of the post hole digger I rented with a sticky throttle cable.. it's really fun trying to stop a post hole digger stuck in the ground with no easy way to stop it.. Instead of stopping it myself I should have called them and told them to come down do it.. I did get a different one and the rental for free though.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

it's really fun trying to stop a post hole digger stuck in the ground with no easy way to stop it...

which reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KvxOuC7Bhc

oh God the commentary

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm not an OSHA inspector but I am my company's OSHA safety officer and those pictures make me deeply uncomfortable

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Knew what video it was before even clicking the link. Goddamn I love this video.

"We've now angered the machine."

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 24, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOdJ2gd4hOQ

Action starts at 1:10

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

buttcrackmenace posted:

which reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KvxOuC7Bhc

oh God the commentary

Yeah this is what it was like, except I had a shovel I drove into the ground then angled it to catch the handle.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
UPS talk: Considering how cheap a 10/100 ethernet card is nowadays, APC charges 300 bucks for that card on their standalone 1500's

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Farking Bastage posted:

UPS talk: Considering how cheap a 10/100 ethernet card is nowadays, APC charges 300 bucks for that card on their standalone 1500's

Yeah man, for sure.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Farking Bastage posted:

Hell, at some point a wired ethernet card will probably start going back up in price. It's an investment!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Farking Bastage posted:

There's always the RS232 option. :v:

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Farking Bastage posted:

That thing is waaaaaay more than just a 10/100 NIC.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

There's always the RS232 option. :v:

Nah, they'll go back to CAT5 ports being used as RS232 a'la CISCO style.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hillridge posted:

That thing is waaaaaay more than just a 10/100 NIC.

Yeah it's also hilariously broken and unresponsive.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Wasabi the J posted:

And it has sticker on it that makes it "approved" for use in the device!

Cisco is terrible for poo poo like that. Want to upgrade the RAM In your router/switch/asa? That will be $2500. Exact same RAM but without the cisco sticker? $500 max. You can go the cheap route and it will work fine, but the second you have a problem and open a case with cisco, they will blame the "unsupported" RAM until you pull it and prove that its not the problem.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Reboots a couple dozen times a day because they thought they'd be clever and power it with the ethernet connection and it can't handle minor power fluctuations? Yep APC sure is great.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Wait, are we talking about one of these, or something else?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not talking about that exact model, but that's the basic product yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Unless they changed in the last year, those don't do POE. Power is via the connector in the back.