Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

bonestructure posted:

With all of the sardine love lately, I've been in search of even more ways to enjoy the fush. That's how I ran across garum.

I am going to try making it this summer. I have a good fishmonger, a fermenting crock, and I'm not afraid.

In the meantime, supposedly Cetara Colatura di Alici is almost identical to classic Roman garum in composition. Ordered, will post trip report later.

the roman history dork in me wants to try this so bad. it was pretty much the ranch dressing of the ancient world and human taste buds haven't changed. i bet it's delicious as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

isn't it basically just like asian fish sauce?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Christmas Miracle posted:

Yeah but with no sugar.

Smellwise the Romans loved the stuff and wanted it made in Spain but fermenting fish in your back yard is probably a good idea.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

AND FERMENTED FOR MONTHS WTF!?

j/k sounds dope.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

I was told by several Roman history nerds that this stuff is a good approximation of liquamen, garum's lightweight cousin.

Bought, cannot confirm similarity to garum yet, but completely bomb in spaghetti sauce and on vietnamese spring rolls.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

bonestructure posted:

I was told by several Roman history nerds that this stuff is a good approximation of liquamen, garum's lightweight cousin.

Bought, cannot confirm similarity to garum yet, but completely bomb in spaghetti sauce and on vietnamese spring rolls.

actually pretty interesting because i'd love something to add to tomato sauce without adding fish sauce. is it less strong than fish sauce?

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

actually pretty interesting because i'd love something to add to tomato sauce without adding fish sauce. is it less strong than fish sauce?

It is. The Red Boat was much milder than any other fish sauce I've used, it has the same effect as a dab of anchovy paste whisked in hot water when added to savory recipes, ie, subtle. Something seems extra-delicious about the sauce, but there's no hint of fish. People are usually surprised if you tell them.

naem
May 29, 2011

bonestructure posted:

Would

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

bonestructure posted:

It is. The Red Boat was much milder than any other fish sauce I've used, it has the same effect as a dab of anchovy paste whisked in hot water when added to savory recipes, ie, subtle. Something seems extra-delicious about the sauce, but there's no hint of fish. People are usually surprised if you tell them.

oh that's really cool then. i'll probably buy some to experiment with

edit: wow it's REALLY hard to find for a reasonable price

Hell Yeah fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 19, 2014

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Boat-Fish-Sauce-40%C2%B0N/dp/B004M050W2

going in

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
I love sardines, pickled herring, and gefilte fish. good stuff.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fister Roboto posted:

There's always prairie oysters :getin:

(probably shouldn't eat those raw)

welp, this just brought back a memory.

I'm 8 or something, we're at my grandparents' house, sitting around a table eating mashed potatoes, peas, and some squirrel my grandfather shot and cooked. He literally had grown up in a log cabin with 9 siblings, but of course it's the 80's now and we're in suburban California in his normal house, eating squirrel. He's sitting in his chair smoking a rolled cigarette. Somehow the conversation ends up mentioning "mountain oysters." (yes, I know you said "prairie oysters.") My dad, joking, says to me, "Son, you know what mountain oysters are?" I'm puzzled, because I am not sure I even understand what the hell an oyster is.

I won't let this go. I keep asking. After a bit, my grandfather removes the cigarette from his mouth, and grunts, "Deer nuts."

I know this story really has nothing to do with this thread, but gently caress me I'm going to make an anchovy pizza tomorrow.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Speaking of fishy funk in red sauce, Saveur did a short thing on "Neonata," a mix of baby anchovies and spicy peppers:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Go-Fish

It's pretty great. Tasty on toast but I haven't had a chance to try it added to pasta sauce. Nobody I eat with IRL would approve of this stuff, but it's awesome.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Former vegetarian update here: Had some King Oscars sauteed in its own olive oil with garlic, capers, herbs and lemon over pasta. Tasted amazing. SA, I thank you.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

finely cut a bunch of radish
add cubed feta cheese
add cut up sardines
add crushed garlic
then add salt, pepper and the oil from the sardines to taste
mix everything and let it rest for one hour

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

julienne the radishes, small cubes for the cheese and the sardines can be rough chunks

i also forgot that you need to add crushed garlic to this salad.

"julienne the radishes" yeah that's not the most finicky task ever invented. I have something between mandolined/julienned radishes.

Whole thing is marinating now. Will post results or forget to post results in an hour.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ink sauce?

have to try that ridiculous bullshit.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

FaradayCage posted:

"julienne the radishes" yeah that's not the most finicky task ever invented. I have something between mandolined/julienned radishes.

Whole thing is marinating now. Will post results or forget to post results in an hour.

It took a few bites to acclimate - but wow.

My reaction comes seconds after this.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

its a bit unusual but i like it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

This thread made me want some canned sprats so much, I am going crazy here

AngryFeet
Sep 3, 2009
If you want free sardines, go to south africa during the sardine run.
You basically wade into the sea with a net or whatever and pull out bucket loads of little fishies. (http://www.sardinerun.com)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Garum is cool because the Romans loved it so much they made primitive factories to churn that msg filled stuff to meet demand I think.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Garum is cool because the Romans loved it so much they made primitive factories to churn that msg filled stuff to meet demand I think.

You know how Huy Fong had a plant that had to stop making Sriracha sauce because the fumes were irritating an entire neighborhood?
Romans had the same laws about garum manufacturing.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

(not pictured are the 45 tins of Seasons sardines I'm returning to Costco)

The Riga Sprats are not as good as the Kieler sprats I've had, but they were only $0.99. The supermarket also had some "Old Riga" and "Riga Gold" sprats and I couldn't tell if these were different brands or different quality/types of sprats. The Alsharks are very good sardines: firm, not too fishy. I haven't tried the Eva or Sultans yet. These were all very inexpensive (nothing over $1.50), but they're all vegetable oil. I looked for olive oil sardines and those were all in the $2.00+ range.

Hopefully I can return the Seasons sardines to Costco and find a batch from a different supplier. The ones I had before were amazing: the ones I'm returning have slightly different packaging and are much lower quality.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

You know how Huy Fong had a plant that had to stop making Sriracha sauce because the fumes were irritating an entire neighborhood?
Romans had the same laws about garum manufacturing.

:aaaaa:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
22 pages of sardine love is amazing

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I have never had sardines, I thought they were supposed to be gross and stinky.

I have written it down for my grocery shopping list.

God bless this thread.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DiggityDoink posted:

22 pages of sardine love is amazing

Hypha posted:

God bless this thread.
King Oscar needs to see this thread and grant us all titles and lands.

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Just bought some cheapass sardines from Walgreens, slapped them on some bread with Cholula and shredded cheese, and threw it on a panini press. It was pretty good, and I'd recommend it.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
tried the single layer brunswick sardines packed w/hot peppers. the fish had a dry, mealy texture despite being packed in oil and the peppers werent very spicy and really didnt lend much flavor at all. Overall pretty unpleasant, wont get em again unless as an ingredient in a recipe. 3/10

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Haverchuck posted:

tried the single layer brunswick sardines packed w/hot peppers. the fish had a dry, mealy texture despite being packed in oil and the peppers werent very spicy and really didnt lend much flavor at all. Overall pretty unpleasant, wont get em again unless as an ingredient in a recipe. 3/10

I had them once and was underwhelmed as well. The peppers are basically Mt. Olive pickled jalapenos, which are about as spicy as a taco bell sauce packet (any...they're all the same).

In other news, just tried a can of Season brand in tomato sauce. Sardines are similar size to Brunswick, complete with noticeable spine texture. Similarities end there. These were considerably less fishy, more tasty, and the sauce was a notch better as well. No condiment necessary, though when I added a few squirts of Cholula toward the end it really hit maximum flavor potential.

A bit north of $2/can though. The lid is awesome because it doesn't flick oil everywhere when you tear it off. Still, this is going to be my new go-to if I'm going to eat em sans crackers/recipe.

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 23, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
You guys pay a shitload for sardines. I get them for like 60-79 cents a can at the Filipino supermarket.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Hobohemian posted:

You guys pay a shitload for sardines. I get them for like 60-79 cents a can at the Filipino supermarket.

what brand?/how are they?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

FaradayCage posted:

what brand?/how are they?

There's a couple different kinds that go on sale in rotation in tomato and oil. I think one brand is called Mega. They're packaged differently though, in small stand up cans like the size of a campbell soup. They're alright, whenever I feel like sardines I crack one open and eat it with crackers. The place is called Seafood City if that helps at all. There's a lot of Filipinos in this area so there are a couple of them around.

Edit: Found the flyer for this week. 3 for $2 of a brand called 555. They have fried ones too if that's your thing. http://www.seafoodcity.com/pdf/sfc-sanDiego.pdf

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 23, 2014

Soviet
Jul 17, 2003

stick it in me

Finnin posted:

Sardines are horrible and taste way too nasty and fishy

Anchovies are way better.

Try the morrocan sardines I posted, they're not fishy at all. I'm the same as you in regards to hating that taste.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

:vince:

Those prices are insanely good. Fresh mackerel for .99/lb?

I'm moving there.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

FaradayCage posted:

:vince:

Those prices are insanely good. Fresh mackerel for .99/lb?

I'm moving there.

They clean and cut all the fish for you too, completely free. Even the live ones.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I've been eating sardines for about three weeks now thanks to this thread. I've been buying cheap Beach Cliff cans, and the cat has been enjoying them along with me, including the ones that come in hot sauce.

Best cat.

My personal combination is generally triscuits + thinly sliced pepperjack cheese (enough for the flavor to be noticeable without overwhelming), large chunks of sardine, and then a large bead of sriracha. I generally prefer the sardines that come in hot sauce, but the others are fine too, except for Beach Cliff's mustard, which is disgusting. Even the cat wouldn't touch those.

I need to pick up some avacado but keep forgetting.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Vernii posted:

I've been eating sardines for about three weeks now thanks to this thread. I've been buying cheap Beach Cliff cans, and the cat has been enjoying them along with me, including the ones that come in hot sauce.

Best cat.

My personal combination is generally triscuits + thinly sliced pepperjack cheese (enough for the flavor to be noticeable without overwhelming), large chunks of sardine, and then a large bead of sriracha. I generally prefer the sardines that come in hot sauce, but the others are fine too, except for Beach Cliff's mustard, which is disgusting. Even the cat wouldn't touch those.

I need to pick up some avacado but keep forgetting.

IMO, for mustard - go Brunswick or go home. The dill is good, and the sauce cuts the typical Brunswick fishiness down to nil.

Pepperjack sounds like a nice complement. I'll try that soon to up the calorie count to that of a proper meal.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
I actually like Brunswick quite a bit, though the hot pepper dinis aren't hot at all, it is true. Also, they're like 80 cents a can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have to admit, I don't get the hot pepper or mustard sardines. If you want that stuff, wouldn't you just put it in yourself? And wouldn't the ingredients you picked beforehand be of better quality? Or is there a canned marination that occurs that I'm not aware of?

Please, educate me on such dadly affairs.

• Locked thread