Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Knowing the presence of his son, the commander in charge clearly sabotaged the offensive to ensure the rebels got away. Why oh why does the Empire tolerate such incompetence, given the same leader also presided over the failure at Yavin??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Fangz posted:

Knowing the presence of his son, the commander in charge clearly sabotaged the offensive to ensure the rebels got away. Why oh why does the Empire tolerate such incompetence, given the same leader also presided over the failure at Yavin??

Nepotism. The commander in charge is a close personal friend of the Emperor.

To bring this back on topic, Cracked had an article about fuckup generals, and Gideon Pillow had basically the relationship described, only he was more cowardly than anything else.

EDIT:

U.S. Grant posted:

I had known General Pillow in Mexico, and judged that with any force, no matter how small, I could march up to within gunshot of any intrenchments he was given to hold. I said this to the officers of my staff at the time. I knew that Floyd was in command, but he was no soldier, and I judged that he would yield to Pillow’s pretensions.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 21, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The commander of Vader's flagship also got his job because he was considered politically untrustworthy and was put somewhere Vader could murder him at a moment's notice, so not exactly someone you can trust with such an important operation. The land commander had someone exiled for pointing out the obvious stability flaw in AT-ATs.

e: :spergin: again

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Here's another good quote about Pillow:

quote:

"He thought you'd rather get hold of him than any other man in the Southern Confederacy," Buckner told Grant.
"Oh," replied Grant, "if I had got him, I'd let him go again. He will do us more good commanding you fellows."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

StashAugustine posted:

:spergin:
Shield generators protect from orbital bombardment but not ground attack (somehow, and it's a little unclear how the ground forces get there.)...

Exactly, that doesn't make any sense. I'd try hurling a few at the thing anyway, just to be safe.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Is this really worth arguing about guys

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

:spergin: hat trick

There's a whole plot in the Zahn novels (aka the only good ones) where Coruscant is put under siege by dropping hundreds of cloaked asteroids in the system and they can't enter or leave the planet because they have to keep the shields up. It's implied they don't reach all the way to the ground.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

StashAugustine posted:

:spergin:
Shield generators protect from orbital bombardment but not ground attack (somehow, and it's a little unclear how the ground forces get there.

I hate doing science fiction answers, but maybe the shield generator has a limited area of coverage and the landers had to land outside of the area to drop off troops and stuff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

As penance for the nerd derail, does anyone know of a good book covering Sherman's march?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

I hate doing science fiction answers, but maybe the shield generator has a limited area of coverage and the landers had to land outside of the area to drop off troops and stuff.

But then how did the AT-AT's get through the shield once they landed? None of that battle makes a lick of sense.

Koramei posted:

Is this really worth arguing about guys

Fine, I'll stop.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can't starve out the rebels when they can just run the blockade as soon as they get everybody onto transports. All they needed to do was jump into hyperspace and it was smooth sailing from there. The only guy who the blockade could catch was some loser with a piece of junk hyperdrive.

Apparently Vader had planned to do a long-distance orbital bombardment and hide in the asteroid field so that the rebels wouldn't know to raise the shield, but some jerk messed that up and got close enough so the rebels could detect them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

PittTheElder posted:

But then how did the AT-AT's get through the shield once they landed? None of that battle makes a lick of sense.

Fine, I'll stop.

The shield would stop turbolaser bolts but was basically a flat/semicircular shield in the sky above the base. The imperials land beyond the shield and walk to the base.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If you wanna talk about this stuff (and by God I do) try it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338643

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Remember in the Dune movie (David Lynch) where Gurney Halleck and Paul Atreides had that personal shield which blocks projectiles but not slow-moving blades? I figured it was like that.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

StashAugustine posted:

As penance for the nerd derail, does anyone know of a good book covering Sherman's march?

The Hard Hand of War by Mark Grimsley discusses the nature of the march, while Nothing But Victory by Steven Woodworth has a few chapters, but is a history of the Army of Tennessee as a whole.

In reference to earlier discussion about open order in the Civil War, the latter contains accounts as early as Belmont of Union soldiers "abandoning their tight formations" en masse to "take cover [on the attack] behind logs and trees in Indian fashion" and envelop the flanks of the Confederate camp.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

StashAugustine posted:

Sherman's personal Memoirs is actually a pretty good read if you're interested in a front-seat perspective. He's got quite the droll sense of humor.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Kaal posted:

Sherman's personal Memoirs is actually a pretty good read if you're interested in a front-seat perspective. He's got quite the droll sense of humor.

Available from Gutenberg, as well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Re: Bookchat.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/133084-goons-and-their-military-history

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Awesome, joined!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

http://www.somethingisawful.com ?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yes. Placeholder.

e: Anyone in the group should be able to add/comment/whatever on books. I've started a couple categories based on what's been brought up in the thread, but it's a big thread.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 21, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

God drat that's a good interview. Like that time Billy Bob Thornton was on Q (:canada:), but borne out of genius, rather than rear end in a top hat-ish idiocy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just started reading 1914 by Max Hastings and holy poo poo. I had a notion that Willheim II was kind of a manchild, but then I get to his brother calling the French (along with Russians, Italians, etc) "Non-whites". :wtc: This is seriously entertaining, and the war hasn't even started yet!

Also, housemaids having seven hours of rest per every two weeks in Vienna.

It's also funny that the guy that would have tried to stop an Austrian-Russian war was the one that got murdered first.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If anyone wants to join that Goodreads group, feel free. I'd like to eventually build a bookshelf with everyone's recommendations and some notes on the books like "accessibly written and makes a great job of exploring the Battle of Midway but largely from the view of Japanese sources. Dispels a lot of myths regarding US naval power while still revealing the truth that they lacked many of the flaws the Japanese fleet and command structure suffered from. Also, janky ebook display of special characters in Japanese names" for Shattered Sword.

E: I will be checking through the options later to make sure everyone is able to add books and folders. I made a few people moderators before heading to work this morning (basically anyone who joined up before this morning) and am pretty new to some of the more nitty gritty details of how GR works.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 21, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baron Porkface posted:

Everyone makes fun of AT-ATs, but what would have been the best way to attack Echo Base on Hoth?

Sabotage the Ion Cannon with a precision strike team then pick them off as they try to escape.

Also please don't give Max Hastings money.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Why?

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Sabotage the Ion Cannon with a precision strike team then pick them off as they try to escape.

You think they'll be able to use the ion cannon to effect? In our moment of triumph? You overestimate their chances.

Any suggestions on where to jump in online or in books to read about the evolution of 19th century naval warfare into what we see today as a person who is wholly out of touch with that aspect of combat?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I must second this question of why.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DoubleAughtMeowMix posted:

Any suggestions on where to jump in online or in books to read about the evolution of 19th century naval warfare into what we see today as a person who is wholly out of touch with that aspect of combat?

Start with the ACW, then immediately go to the Pacific, then the Dreadnought, then WWI.

After WWI people realize "god drat we can fly gently caress battleships" and along come the carriers. The rest is guidance systems and missiles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I must second this question of why.

Not to put words in Allpro's mouth, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it's because Hastings basically just rehashes other people's arguments in a package that's a bit more accessible to the average reader. A lot of his conclusions about German war guilt in 1914, for example, are basically just a tl;dr of Fritz Fischer's Germany's War Aims. Fischer's work was really, really instrumental in changing the way we look at the outbreak of WW1 and more or less turned the field on its head back in the 60s.

Basically he's an English public intellectual who does a lot of synthetic work for a general audience. The importance of that kind of work can be debated (I, personally, think it's pretty valuable and necessary) but it's more literature/journalism than history.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Isn't he also the horrifically pro-Brit biased one who thought the world would be better off with more colonialism so that we could educate those drat darkies, or was that a different one?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I don't think so, he is ruthless when it comes to pointing out British mistakes and flaws during WW2. And not just Montgomery's!

I've read Armageddon and Retribution a few times each and I literally can't think of a single awful sentiment of his own that he offers.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Well, certainly don't give Max Boot any of your money.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

the JJ posted:

Isn't he also the horrifically pro-Brit biased one who thought the world would be better off with more colonialism so that we could educate those drat darkies, or was that a different one?

Wasn't that Niall Fergunson? Maybe I'm getting my historians mixed up. :v:

Anyways, I can kind of see where you are coming from, but it's really, really hard to get good history books in my city. Seeing an Ian Kershaw book about Hitler here, completely surrounded by "Maybe Hitler could see the future/Had dark powers/Was a genius and de came to Argentina - here's how" stuff is par for the course here, and I supposed I got lucky when I nabbed the only copies of 1914 and All Hell Let Loose that the bookstore had. :shobon:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not to put words in Allpro's mouth, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it's because Hastings basically just rehashes other people's arguments in a package that's a bit more accessible to the average reader. A lot of his conclusions about German war guilt in 1914, for example, are basically just a tl;dr of Fritz Fischer's Germany's War Aims. Fischer's work was really, really instrumental in changing the way we look at the outbreak of WW1 and more or less turned the field on its head back in the 60s.

Basically he's an English public intellectual who does a lot of synthetic work for a general audience. The importance of that kind of work can be debated (I, personally, think it's pretty valuable and necessary) but it's more literature/journalism than history.

Actually it's more that, at least from what I heard from colleagues when I was in England, he's a conceited rear end who regularly opines on matters he doesn't understand but because he's a very popular and prolific writer his ignorance is taken seriously by people who don't know any better. John Keegan, for all the good he did the field, had the same trouble about certain matters (his weird strawman interpretation of Clausewitz and his utterly awful attempt at writing naval history, to name the most obvious ones).

Basically he wants people to think he's Anthony Beevor, but he isn't. Beevor's actually an example of doing "popular history" really, really drat well while including a lot of useful stuff for academics at the same time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the JJ posted:

That's Niall Ferguson, possibly the worst historian I'm familiar with besides David "lets grossly inflate Dresden bombing deaths and also be a Holocaust denier" Irving

VVVVVV I will admit that it's a worst-of comparison on the scale of "Fukushima is the second worst nuclear reactor incident after Chernobyl"

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 22, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's Niall Ferguson, possibly the worst historian I'm familiar with besides David "lets grossly inflate Dresden bombing deaths and also be a Holocaust denier" Irving

OK, I'm going to do something I never thought I'd do. I'm going to defend Niall Ferguson.

Please don't compare Niall Ferguson to David Irving. Niall Ferguson's a lazy hack who writes lovely, historically inept books about "everything you know about X is wrong" because it keeps him in the limelight, but he's nowhere near the level of David Irving and comparing him to Irving is totally unfair.

David Irving is loving human sewage.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Wait, whats wrong with Max Boot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Saint Celestine posted:

Wait, whats wrong with Max Boot?

He's basically a low-rent Victor Davis Hanson, except without the academic rigor. He's a big neocon jagoff, but not in the "warped intellectual" sense where you could see them putting decent work together at some point in their career, just in the "raaargh America best bleghghgegh" Fox News talking head blowhard way.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 22, 2014

• Locked thread