Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mad Dragon posted:

Holy poo poo, 113,501RC. How long did this guy have my pawn?

When doing (so... many...) runs at the final BBI boss you can smash him in like five minutes and repeat forever. I have no idea how much RC I fed pawns but the experience was super high from doing that.

quote:

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: Is it necessary to give pawns lanterns?

Lanterns are a player thing. Everyone/thing else can see in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: Is it necessary to give pawns lanterns?

Pawn lanterns give off no light, but it can be mildly helpful to see where they are and intuit what they're doing in the dark if you don't have one or if they're out of its range. I stick one on my pawn because why not? They weight basically nothing and pawns won't use oil (as far as I know).

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Browse the Rift and drink every time you see a pawn named Arya, Hawk or Akira.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Cometa Rossa posted:

Browse the Rift and drink every time you see a pawn named Arya, Hawk or Akira.

I kept a Daenerys longer than she was useful because whoever made her did a good job with the look and clothing of her. Aside from that I only ever see three foot high, elf ladies.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The child pawns are disturbing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Dr Snofeld posted:

I found a cheap copy of Dark Arisen today - I've only ever played the first part of the regular game. Am I right in thinking that I can just level my character and pawn however I like and I won't be loving myself over for the DA content? I've looked up stuff on the game and all the tips I find are either "do whatever" or very specific min-max builds.

You only really need to start gaming stats if you play on the hard difficulty. If you play normal, go hog wild; if you're good, have decent gear, and know how to make good use of your skills, you can probably beat the DA content before level 100.

Mad Dragon posted:

The child pawns are disturbing.

Dwarf pawns for life. And by that I mean Gimli or Boat-Murdered type dwarves.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I got arrested for throwing a child mage off a bridge and I would do it again.

I wish I got more decent ugly/bizarre pawns, all the dwarves I see have really lovely stats and empty skill slots so I can't justify taking them out :(

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 18, 2014

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I made my main character a tiny little anime girl (complete with blue hair and mismatched eyes) who wields the biggest stick I can find, so the children fit right in :v:

I was kind of surprised when this turned out to be about as bad an idea as it would be in real life, because now I can barely carry my equipment while still remaining Light, and I don't get the full benefit of the huge range two-handers would offer. And I get thrown off easier while charging my Arc of Deliverance.

But oh well, it's not like the game's that hard to begin with. And I still think it's hilarious seeing my character is barely taller than her weapon.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not liking broadsword or shield on my assassin, should I just switch to Mystic Archer? I know that shield is pretty meh overall and broadsword is supposedly better for bosses, but I'm playing on Hardcore and Kisses seems to do a good enough job of taking out big things. Plus I realized I was using my bow the most anyway since mobs have a nasty habit of one shotting you if you get sloppy with your dodges. :v:

I was thinking my next run would be with no pawns or with a pack mule pawn with no combat stuff depending on how greedy I get. Being able to use any element whenever sounds nice and MA is the class I hear most about after assassin in terms of fun.

Would I need to do anything special to make MA work? Most people say get sorc to 200 before touching MA which is awesome proof that gamers will do the most unfun poo poo imaginable so they can hit 50 points harder.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
If you don't care about min/maxing, you don't need to do anything.

However, Mage/Sorc have some useful perks, so it can be worth leveling as them for a bit to boost your magic and get the perks :)

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Blast of Confetti posted:

I'm not liking broadsword or shield on my assassin, should I just switch to Mystic Archer? I know that shield is pretty meh overall and broadsword is supposedly better for bosses, but I'm playing on Hardcore and Kisses seems to do a good enough job of taking out big things. Plus I realized I was using my bow the most anyway since mobs have a nasty habit of one shotting you if you get sloppy with your dodges. :v:

I was thinking my next run would be with no pawns or with a pack mule pawn with no combat stuff depending on how greedy I get. Being able to use any element whenever sounds nice and MA is the class I hear most about after assassin in terms of fun.

Would I need to do anything special to make MA work? Most people say get sorc to 200 before touching MA which is awesome proof that gamers will do the most unfun poo poo imaginable so they can hit 50 points harder.
Yeah, having a bow is a ton better as an Assassin. And as a class that can use multiple weapons, I will generally carry a few of those options around. So as an Assassin, I'll run with Sword/Daggers/Bow in my inventory, but I might stick with Daggers for most of the time mostly for having a double jump, and maybe I'll switch to a Sword for certain things. Or maybe I'm a Magick Archer, and I'll have Daggers/Magick Bow 90% of the time, with the occasional moments for using a staff.

You definitely don't need to go all the way to 200 as a Sorcerer unless you really want to minmax the piss out of the Magic Attack stat. I'd just recommend getting the augments that buff magic attack and cast speed, but if you don't want to grind up vocation that much, you can run around as a Magick Archer just fine. You can overlevel in this game pretty easily, and equipment/upgrades help out a ton.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I leveled my arisen and my pawn to rank 9 on everything, just to see how all of the classes worked. Some of them start out sloooooow coughMystic Knightcough, but really pick up around rank 5 or 6. Once the MK gets the cannon attack, holy poo poo.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

So I'm playing the game again, starting with a brand new character. If you have a low-levelish pawn that you want someone to take your pawn out for a while, leave your Gamertag here and I'll get around to it when I can.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Quick question for all you OG dragonslayers out there: I'm coming up to the final battle, and I wanted to know what the best set of armor for a Magick Archer would be to have dragonforged. Obviously postgame stuff in unobtainable for me, so what would be a good set to finish the game with?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I sold my game a long time ago and my first playthrough was when the game was new, but I think the red leather set was probably one of the best sets of light armor for my first 1.5 playthroughs.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I must have played the opening of the game half a dozen times now because I can't decide on what to play. I haven't tried the magic classes yet, maybe go with that, with a mage pawn that I can give all the healing and support spells to, leaving me with all the fun explody ones. I'm sure that'll work fine.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
You can change your class not too far from the start of the game, once you get to the inn in the Capital. No reason to re-start unless you're min-maxing.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, seriously, there's really no reason to restart a playthrough to change class. You can (and should) easily test them all out on one character.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Does anyone find much use out of the Fighter & Warrior skills to launch allies into the air?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

Does anyone find much use out of the Fighter & Warrior skills to launch allies into the air?

When they are launched they will auto grapple whatever they hit.

I get the dragon pope and liches out of the air when they are flying by punting my strider pawn into their faces.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I don't know if I've just been lucky before or it's because of the level range I'm in, but hunting for a half-decent support mage has become a loving nightmare. I'm honestly considering turning my Sorceror main pawn back to one. If I finally find one with decent spells, they'll have terrible inclinations, and if I SOMEHOW find one with good spells and inclinations, it's a three foot tall pink-haired elf named 'FUC MY AS'.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cometa Rossa posted:

I don't know if I've just been lucky before or it's because of the level range I'm in, but hunting for a half-decent support mage has become a loving nightmare. I'm honestly considering turning my Sorceror main pawn back to one. If I finally find one with decent spells, they'll have terrible inclinations, and if I SOMEHOW find one with good spells and inclinations, it's a three foot tall pink-haired elf named 'FUC MY AS'.

Well yeah, of course they'd put the most effort into it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Cometa Rossa posted:

The glory of the AS family and how she's actually hundreds of years old so it's ok is explained thoroughly in my fanfiction.

People generally don't make good support mages for some reason. There are at least two that I know of on the list from the first page, so you could always spam friend invites. If you're looking for them outside of max level, that's pretty unlikely. The people who actually care about min/maxing their pawn don't do it at low levels and stay there.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kept my support mage Rezo at level 58. He works out pretty well. PSN, though.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Now that I've finally started another playthrough of this game, my pawn Jill is back (on 360). She's a pretty decent support mage with Utilitarian/Scather. Level 29 though, might be a bit low (or high?) for you.

edit: I'm playing at a pretty decent clip at the moment, so odds are if she's too low for you now she soon won't be.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 22, 2014

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Gildiss posted:

I kept my support mage Rezo at level 58. He works out pretty well. PSN, though.

360 :(

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Now that I've finally started another playthrough of this game, my pawn Jill is back (on 360). She's a pretty decent support mage with Utilitarian/Scather. Level 29 though, might be a bit low (or high?) for you.

edit: I'm playing at a pretty decent clip at the moment, so odds are if she's too low for you now she soon won't be.

Sounds like you'll catch up soon then. Perfect, what's your gamertag?

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Cometa Rossa posted:

360 :(

Sounds like you'll catch up soon then. Perfect, what's your gamertag?

Gamertag is GoodLordFisher. What level are you at the moment?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So here's a funny thing i discovered on my latest playthrough.

Ser Maximilian is totally a candidate for being your beloved when you fight the dragon, the funny thing is when you get chased out of the castle when the Everfall opens up The camera focuses on Ser Max and the guards when you step outside, but if Ser Max has moved into your house, he won't be there and the camera just focuses on nothing for a few seconds.

Almost like the developers kind of intended for you to get with Fornival or the Duke's wife :allears:

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Gamertag is GoodLordFisher. What level are you at the moment?

I'm in my late 40s now but I've taken a bit of a break from hardcore questing to gently caress around and explore before I head to the post-game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Almost like the developers kind of intended for you to get with Fornival or the Duke's wife :allears:

The game should really, really not have you end up with Simone. Thanks, Japan.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I actually ended up with what's her name her name the witch. Is it worse to get with an underaged girl or technically not even a person that looks like a little girl that is holding the soul of it's former master?

I don't understand how it happened either since i only ever talked to her to do her sidequests.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

If you finish Witch Hunt, Selene ends up in the Arisen's house regardless of her affinity.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Yea I got Selene and the Duke's Wife at my house. 'sup.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
I'm really glad I researched the affinity system and how to exploit it before I fought the dragon; I don't think I could have handled my arisen sleeping with a small child or greasy noble.

I chose Mercedes and it worked out especially well, because her dialogue after the dragon fight shows that she realized how in over her head she was.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Dr Tasty posted:

I'm really glad I researched the affinity system and how to exploit it before I fought the dragon; I don't think I could have handled my arisen sleeping with a small child or greasy noble.

I chose Mercedes and it worked out especially well, because her dialogue after the dragon fight shows that she realized how in over her head she was.

The first time I played through the game I got Mercedes before I knew anything about the affinity system because I missed a whole bunch of sidequests.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I ended up with Madeleine the first time around. It wouldn't have been so bad if she didn't have that dumb backpack on all the time. I think I'm going to try for Mercedes whenever I finish BBI and move on with the main quest. What's the best way to guarantee her? Give everyone else Liquid Effluvium before I fight Grigori?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I kind of like that (almost) every named NPC is just applicable for romantic affection. The part that sucks is they don't tell you what's happening and then you get the makeout scene out of nowhere.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'd like to get that lady who sells potions in the main square, the shop across from the arms dealer. I know I can give her stuff, I just don't know if she's down for hanging out, or whatever.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Mad Dragon posted:

I ended up with Madeleine the first time around. It wouldn't have been so bad if she didn't have that dumb backpack on all the time. I think I'm going to try for Mercedes whenever I finish BBI and move on with the main quest. What's the best way to guarantee her? Give everyone else Liquid Effluvium before I fight Grigori?

Yes, or you could dispose of them ;)

(Not sure if killing them makes a difference but attacking them destroys their affection for you, or you can unsheathe your weapon in front of them over and over which makes them mad as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one

Mad Dragon posted:

That's what I did. The best way to really do it is to get the Arisen's Bond and then give it to the NPC of your choosing, then give liquid effivum to everyone who has any affinity for you. The really important thing to remember is that the game chooses your romantic partner based on two things: affection level and who you last spoke to. So if you have max affinity for more than one NPC, say Mercedes and Aelenor, and you speak to Aelenor before you do the mission where you fight the leader of Salvation or whatever that cult is; you will end up getting Aelenor as your partner.

If you're going for Mercedes, be sure to get her affinity to max before the quest where she leaves for good.

EDIT: Actually I can't remember when the game picks your partner. Is it before you fight the dragon or before you confront the leader of salvation?

Dr Tasty fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 23, 2014

• Locked thread