Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
New clip for Wednesday.

Man, Colton Haynes is making a pretty good career out of playing dead-eyed, brainwashed dudes with superpowers. :zombie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...so a random thought occurs to me, dunno if anyone else has brought it up before, but...

What if the stuff with Mirakuru, aside of easing in superpowers, has been a longer effort to prepare for Miraclo? Like, have it developed as a variant or substitute that say, only lasts an hour...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, they're working on an Hourman TV show and the description has him with the ability to see an hour into the future, not that he gets superpowers for an hour at a time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, they're working on an Hourman TV show and the description has him with the ability to see an hour into the future, not that he gets superpowers for an hour at a time.

I kinda want to see a superhero mom who takes her babies with her to fight crime and when she needs superpowers she shoves them under a car or throws them into a burning building to give herself superhuman strength (she'd rescue them later after she fought the crime, of course).

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Drat. I knew about the first part, but not the second. Suppose its still using one of his abilities, although... now that I've fiund the description they had, they mention the pharmaceutical angle. Could be a way to work it in still, but...
Eh, who knows, That's So Raven with superheroes could still work. Certainly easier on the effects people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As far as I know the thing is still super early in pre-production so who knows what they're going to end up doing with it. Its going to be a CW show so you'd assume they'd tie it into Arrow/Flash in some way.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

As far as I know the thing is still super early in pre-production so who knows what they're going to end up doing with it. Its going to be a CW show so you'd assume they'd tie it into Arrow/Flash in some way.

Aye, which is why I wondered if they have possibly already slipped in some setup for it. I mean, the way it currently is, they'd have enough leeway to go either way - make Miraclo out of the drug, or keep the two storylines utterly separate to focus on the whole 'sees an hour into the future' thing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mars4523 posted:

Danielle Panabaker looks distractingly like Agents of SHIELD's Elizabeth Henstridge

Danielle Panabaker had a recurring guest role on Justified this season as one of Ava's prison buddies...it didn't end well for her character. Good to see she's found more work.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

howe_sam posted:

Danielle Panabaker had a recurring guest role on Justified this season as one of Ava's prison buddies...it didn't end well for her character. Good to see she's found more work.

Leveraging her "Sky High" superhero sidekick background

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

howe_sam posted:

That's who that was. It was driving me crazy.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Astro Nut posted:

Eh, who knows, That's So Raven with superheroes could still work. Certainly easier on the effects people.

NO DEATHSTROKE NO, ya nasty.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Every time I see or hear the word Deathstroke, I think of a super villain who gives handjobs of death.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

Every time I see or hear the word Deathstroke, I think of a super villain who gives handjobs of death.

Please don't spoil the season finale.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

GreenNight posted:

That would explain why he keeps doing that weird fist clench thing.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just finished episode 13 of season 2. Can Laurel get anymore loving awful? She was horrible in S1 and at this point I really just hope she dies.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
She actually gets better. I mean, watching Season 1 would anybody imagine you'd come to care about Thea Queen?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bad Moon posted:

She actually gets better. I mean, watching Season 1 would anybody imagine you'd come to care about Thea Queen?

She does? Are you counting that after an episode of deliberation she doesn't sell out Oliver as "getting better"?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I just finished episode 13 of season 2. Can Laurel get anymore loving awful? She was horrible in S1 and at this point I really just hope she dies.

Laurel is fine in season 1 and in my mind provides a good balance in the show because she emotes and isn't really hiding anything. Then they didn't know what to do with her to start in season 2 and gets better.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Her mini drunk arc where she just got hammered and then dropped truth bombs on random people every episode was pretty great.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Drunk mean girl Laurel forever!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Finally watched last week's episode.

That Deathstroke costume is like the best comic show costume ever. That is all.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Drifter posted:

I'm not saying his reading of thematic elements is wrong (it actually sounds fine to me), I'm saying it's most likely not a deliberate thematic creation for the sake of the show

Oh that makes sense then, yeah, that's pretty likely.

Drifter posted:

It's most likely not a deliberate thematic creation for the sake of the show, but rather a byproduct of it being a common trope from the simplified plots of these types of superhero comics. What that means is the writers haven't equipped themselves to do more than superficially reflect those particular themes onto their product. ... So it’s like, the theme is there to be identified, but it’s not meant to be in any large degree and isn’t being utilized, so why discuss it?

Because it's still potentially relevant to any meaning one might get out of the show, whether intentional or not, even if it's only a minor theme, even if it's not consistently represented throughout the work. Hell, contradictions in theme & tone can make for some of the most interesting angles to examine a story.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

Because it's still potentially relevant to any meaning one might get out of the show, whether intentional or not, even if it's only a minor theme, even if it's not consistently represented throughout the work. Hell, contradictions in theme & tone can make for some of the most interesting angles to examine a story.

Hey, man, as long as it's not being conflated with expectations of the story following through with those interesting angles I'm always down for it.

I have no problem with analyzing a story and seeing how external social forces can influence ideas and whatnot, or how the observer's own response to the work can create new meaning outside of authorial intent. That poo poo's half the fun when the subject matter has depth.

However, a formalist approach is a great way to measure the strength of the author, and a good way to extrapolate future direction and quality of a product.

It just feels like any interesting interpretations are outside the realm of the work's actual narrative deliverables and would lead to more failed element discussions or shallow contrasts.

I guess I'm just being annoyingly pedantic. Carry on.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VDay posted:

It was a pretty badass stunt.

Although I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't have him throw her back.

I'm disappointed he didn't yell "GOTCHA" and start cartoonishly bodyslamming her Jax-style.

Drifter posted:

Well, it's either live with mom rent free or live in an apartment and have mom pay the rent.

and BROOD about how much you hate your mom.

I know Ollie's the hero of the show, but he's such a complete fuckup he really needs to be taken down several pegs and have some sort of coming to grips moment where he realizes he's STILL AN rear end in a top hat.

He deserved to lose his company - he wasn't participating in it at all anyway. He's inconsiderate of his friends and his family (except his mom at least deserves it, so that's cool, at least). He's an unlikeable fella.

I lvoed the whole "I could have cured Roy and not had him break up with Thea and any of that dangerous poo poo, but I was ashamed because I didn't kill some random dude nobody knew about back when Roy got Mirakuru'd." gently caress off, Ollie.

Isn't that what they've pretty much been getting at this entire season?

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 23, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was just thinking, hopefully Dig and Felicity have some savings because they're pretty much soon to be out of jobs with Isobel in charge.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

No intro monologue... :ohdear:

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
"You signed a contract" woooow Moira

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thea's right, that was a real crap move Moira.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Haha they absolutely can't make this super jacked dude look seven years younger.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seven years ago Moira rocking the Jennifer Aniston look.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That loving Hair Piece is so baaaad.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Ollie's hair. :swoon:

Ollie knocked a girl up. Connor is out there somewhere.

arkmedes
Jun 24, 2009
Wait, what? There's a mini arrow?

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
'Roided out? or 'Royded out? :smug:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

SIN!

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Is Godzilla going to be awesomely bad, or just bad?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paradise Lost posted:

Awesomely Awesome.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Paradise Lost posted:

Looks fantastic, so...neither?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Arrow Season 2: Strong. Comic book strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Moira's gonna kill that baby.

• Locked thread