Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This Goon went into a Heroic BSOD after seeing that, which probably qualifies as Mind Rape or at least Nightmare Fuel Unleaded. He never knew that anyone could be such a Complete Monster.

gently caress I understood that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Swan Oat posted:

It actually makes less sense to me that Linkara is an actual person and not an anime.

Except for that time where he did become an anime so he could review the Pokemon movies with Suede and Jew Wario and JesuOtaku. Coincidentally, Linkara also sperged out in one of those videos about how super dark and scary Pokemon was because of the subtext behind some of the games' features.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Afraid of Audio posted:

gently caress I understood that.

That's when you know it's time to take a break from the thread.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Except for that time where he did become an anime so he could review the Pokemon movies with Suede and Jew Wario and JesuOtaku. Coincidentally, Linkara also sperged out in one of those videos about how super dark and scary Pokemon was because of the subtext behind some of the games' features.

Hehehe his anime avatar is slimmed down

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
Can I also mention that he has bad opinions politically

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
can you please elaborate on the bad political opinions of a person who reviews comics (?) and anime (?) and also becomes an anime sometimes? I think you can mention that he has them but only if you also mention what they are.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

goatse.cx posted:

Hehehe his anime avatar is slimmed down

His head is also significantly less doughy

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Improbable Lobster posted:

His head is also significantly less doughy

Yeah but Robert Z'dar was storing acorns for the winter. What's Linkara's excuse?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

goatse.cx posted:

Can I also mention that he has bad opinions politically

He actually has grown a lot in that regard in the past several years.

He's still a capitalist pig-dog, and doughy as hell, but he's not bigoted. Lightbringer is very old and he's largely renounced it as poo poo.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Ugh, beaten. :argh:

Swan Oat posted:

can you please elaborate on the bad political opinions of a person who reviews comics (?) and anime (?) and also becomes an anime sometimes? I think you can mention that he has them but only if you also mention what they are.
Internet Libertarian, but with a real boner for authority figures who can make tough decisions and do what it takes to get things done.

His old webcomic is a real treasure-trove of political and sociological insight; it's a shame that it never got a proper thread here. :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Just gonna reiterate that apart from being a capitalist pig-dog Linkara's largely grown out of his lolbertarian leanings. He's really solid on gender rights and poo poo like that, anyway.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

He actually has grown a lot in that regard in the past several years.

He's still a capitalist pig-dog, and doughy as hell, but he's not bigoted. Lightbringer is very old and he's largely renounced it as poo poo.

His other (actually professional and published!) comic, revolution of the mask is about superheroes fighting against government in a communist society where rape is legal because apparently communism means no one is allowed to refuse any request from someone else ever

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DoctorWhat posted:

Just gonna reiterate that apart from being a capitalist pig-dog Linkara's largely grown out of his lolbertarian leanings. He's really solid on gender rights and poo poo like that, anyway.

Yeah, he actually rather proudly calls himself a feminist and absolutely rakes comics over the coals when they do something horrible and sexist. And really, I've never quite gotten all the criticism calling him doughy and whatnot. He may have put on a little weight but he looks pretty normal to me :shrug:.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

You are talking as if they exclude each other

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

goatse.cx posted:

You are talking as if they exclude each other
Yeah, you can be socially progressive while still being an absolute dork elsewhere. Most of his criticisms of Lightbringer relate to its art and structure; he's still largely on board with its teenagery ideology.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 22, 2014

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tracula posted:

Yeah, he actually rather proudly calls himself a feminist and absolutely rakes comics over the coals when they do something horrible and sexist. And really, I've never quite gotten all the criticism calling him doughy and whatnot. He may have put on a little weight but he looks pretty normal to me :shrug:.

He has a roundish type face and features are close together in the center but to be honest if he was gaunt he'd probably look terrifying so I'll take him being round-faced teddy bear over looking like a smooth Freddy Kruger :shobon:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Arcsquad12 posted:

Man, why did they change the cartoon style they had in the first 3 videos? It was way more expressive and animated than this generic animeblob poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

goatse.cx posted:

His other (actually professional and published!) comic, revolution of the mask is about superheroes fighting against government in a communist society where rape is legal because apparently communism means no one is allowed to refuse any request from someone else ever

Why don't they request they not be raped then? Does it become an endless back and forth of requests?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raserys posted:

Man, why did they change the cartoon style they had in the first 3 videos? It was way more expressive and animated than this generic animeblob poo poo.

For reference, this is what they used to look like, back when Carmical was still doing the videos with them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The old ones are certainly a better set of likenesses.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Why don't they request they not be raped then? Does it become an endless back and forth of requests?

"Social progress is best measured by the position of the female sex gently caress women" -Karl Marx

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

goatse.cx posted:

"Social progress is best measured by the position of the female sex gently caress women" -Karl Marx

Yeah, it's very much the lolbertarian view of a communist society. For instance, the confusion of the concept of property other than something that's owned, usually land. While you did have some nominally-communist countries like Ceacescu's Romania that disrepected women's rights, where abortion was illegal and motherhood incentivized, Marxist thought is largely toward equalization of the sexes. It's why feminism is heavily based off Marxist philosophy, replacing the proletariat and the bourgeoisie with women and the patriarchy.

Lunatics key
Mar 17, 2014

He also wrote this : http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Armor-Just-Lewis-Lovhaug/dp/0595284752 when he was like, a teenager or something. apparently he doesn't like to talk about them

Angel Armor: Just a Boy posted:

Louis Williamson is not like most other teenagers: he's an eccentric Christian optimist. However, that's not what makes him special. What makes him special is that on a world full of magic, heroes, and evil, Louis is a prophesized hero called the 'Linkara' and is destined to defeat a great Darkness, fight off an army of Dark Knights, and end a 300-year war by using an armor that was imbued by angels. How does Louis react to the news? Only one word sums it up: groovy.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's very much the lolbertarian view of a communist society. For instance, the confusion of the concept of property other than something that's owned, usually land. While you did have some nominally-communist countries like Ceacescu's Romania that disrepected women's rights, where abortion was illegal and motherhood incentivized, Marxist thought is largely toward equalization of the sexes. It's why feminism is heavily based off Marxist philosophy, replacing the proletariat and the bourgeoisie with women and the patriarchy.

My favourite bit in The Communist Manifesto was when Marx addressed the "community of women" thing which capitalists kept trying to insist was a thing. Because communism makes the instruments of production available for exploitation by all, that includes women, right? The answer couldn't possibly be doing away with the status of women as instruments of production! :v:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My favourite bit in The Communist Manifesto was when Marx addressed the "community of women" thing which capitalists kept trying to insist was a thing. Because communism makes the instruments of production available for exploitation by all, that includes women, right? The answer couldn't possibly be doing away with the status of women as instruments of production! :v:

I want to suspect that may have been Fredrich Engels who wrote that, although Marx probably had a similar mind. Engels' "Origins Of The Family, Private Property, and The State" talks about the "world historic defeat of the female sex", where early tribal man discovered that women could make more humans and that more people meant more labor and more military strength, stripping women of their agency in their tribal community and condemning them to be baby factories for most of human history.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Young Freud posted:

I want to suspect that may have been Fredrich Engels who wrote that, although Marx probably had a similar mind. Engels' "Origins Of The Family, Private Property, and The State" talks about the "world historic defeat of the female sex", where early tribal man discovered that women could make more humans and that more people meant more labor and more military strength, stripping women of their agency in their tribal community and condemning them to be baby factories for most of human history.

It could well have been Engels! I always forget that he did write some of the Manifesto. Either way they were both very big on feminism/feminists were very big on Marxism and lolbertarians are incredibly bad at projecting their own sexual insecurities onto them.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
Is becoming like Linkara pretty much the highest a troper can aspire to? The more I read about him, the more I can see why he is a figure of their worship.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Young Freud posted:

You're making the assumption that they are confused and don't believe women are property, and thus owned by the state. Unlike in libertopia where you can own a woman of you're own. It's not an uncommon belief in libertarians that women are beholden to men for security and are de-facto property of the men who protect them.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Out of boredom, I looked up the TV Tropes page for some Naruto fanfiction that I remember I liked back when I was a thirteen year old who liked Naruto fanfiction (Team 8, for the curious). At one point, a character apparently does something that defies the actual Naruto canon.

Some troper felt the need to point out that this is not how the technique works in the series. They feel the need to point this out every time the canon violation is mentioned. No less than six times.

I don't know whether somebody couldn't stand their favourite character getting beaten in fanfiction, of all things, or just a bad case of the sperg, but it really underscores just how banal and stupidly spergy everything on TV Tropes is.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
According to this academic resource, One Hundred Years of Solitude is "famous among other things for using every conceivable trope one could ever hope to fit in 28.8 oz of paper." Mauricio is the Jerk with a Heart of Gold, Meme is the Type B Tsundere, and there are several Hikkimori who work alone as artisans and Remedios the Beauty is an Innocent Fanservice Girl. Clearly Gabriel Garcia-Marquez was a proto-troper!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/OneHundredYearsOfSolitude

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Aramoro posted:

You're making the assumption that they are confused and don't believe women are property, and thus owned by the state. Unlike in libertopia where you can own a woman of you're own. It's not an uncommon belief in libertarians that women are beholden to men for security and are de-facto property of the men who protect them.
I seriously doubt that Linkara believes that.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Tracula posted:

Linkara is usually okay when he just sticks straight to complaining about comics but he has the typical reviewer storyline which, ironically, plays out like a really lovely comic and he plays it completely straight.

I always got the impression that wasn't an attempt to tell a story himself, but to indulge in all the cliches and goofiness he could cram into it. I never met the guy, but I'm fairly sure if I asked him he'd just laugh it off as silliness he indulges in that others like because it pushes the same buttons in their brains, rather than An Actual Story With Merit. At least, I sure hope he would.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I seriously doubt that Linkara believes that.

Well he has no chance of providing security to anyone so he'll have had to go for a different flavour of libertarian stance I guess.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Wait how did we get into Linkara being a libertarian? Has he done a video about Ron Paul and/or the gold standard? Because if so, be a friend and pass that poo poo.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nah, he occasionally talks about his beliefs briefly on videos and stuff, but isn't really a funny Libertarian, just mildly dorky. He seems like an OK guy, just a lovely writer with no nuance or subtlety, so he ends up making stuff that makes him look more extreme, when I assume he's really just trying to make an unusual but obviously evil enemy for his beacons of heroism to battle.

I don't get why people focus on his politics when his skits in his show are a lot more terrible.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wait how did we get into Linkara being a libertarian? Has he done a video about Ron Paul and/or the gold standard? Because if so, be a friend and pass that poo poo.

It doesn't show up in his videos, as far as I can recall, but his comics are saturated with it.

Puppy Time posted:

Nah, he occasionally talks about his beliefs briefly on videos and stuff, but isn't really a funny Libertarian, just mildly dorky. He seems like an OK guy, just a lovely writer with no nuance or subtlety, so he ends up making stuff that makes him look more extreme, when I assume he's really just trying to make an unusual but obviously evil enemy for his beacons of heroism to battle.

I don't get why people focus on his politics when his skits in his show are a lot more terrible.

Maybe one day he'll record a video where the power rangers have to save Ron Paul from Rita Repulsa's Big Government Monster

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey guys here's my original idea for a Tvtropes creed!

quote:

We believe in one Mod,
the Tropers, the Almighty,
maker of trope pages and works,
of all things seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Joss Whedon,
the only Writer of Firefly,
eternally forgotten by the Fox,
Network from Network, show from show,
Buffy to Dollhouse,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with his pen.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of sex and conception,
he was born of Lee Stearns,
and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Rupert Murdoch;
his show suffered and died and was buried.
On the third day it rose again
in fulfillment of the Script;
he ascended into geekdom
and is seated at the right hand of the nerds.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, (but mostly the dead),
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in TV Tropes, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Slayerettes and the Whovians.
With the fandoms and geeks it is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Tropers.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Wiki.
We acknowledge Getting Known for the prevention of vandals.
We look for the resurrection of the Dead Horse Tropes,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Or not you can cry now I wouldn't blame you for believing me at first

Byde fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 24, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oh, for God's sake.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with his stuff, but why Joss Whedon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I like how there's a whole bunch of people who hate the religious element because "ugh why did you have to base it on those religiots' Nicene Creed gently caress church" and one lonely poster whose problem is that it reinforces the site's cultiness.

Actually scratch that; I like how that discussion is a distant second priority to arguing about Joss Whedon's importance both to media as a whole and to the website's rich and storied history. :allears:

• Locked thread