Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Speaking of Stalinist autocracies with bizarre personality cults, hows about Turkmenistan? The Glorious Leader (statue and photo below) died last decade, and was succeeded by his dentist. His dentist, while still ruling with absolute power, has apparently eased off some of the more wacko poo poo of his predecessor. It isn't nearly so bizarre as North Korea (I'd bet), but they haven't had as long to work on it either. They are not so isolated as a nation though, Iran I know has linked the place with rail lines to encourage trade.

I remember reading about that ages ago, apparently that statue turns to always face the sun. At least if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Count Roland posted:

His dentist, while still ruling with absolute power, has apparently eased off some of the more wacko poo poo of his predecessor.

Apparently they recently had their first multi-party elections for their parliament, and multiple parties actually participated! I'm not sure how much power their parliament actually has, but it probably still counts as an improvement.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Count Roland posted:

Speaking of Stalinist autocracies with bizarre personality cults, hows about Turkmenistan? The Glorious Leader (statue and photo below) died last decade, and was succeeded by his dentist. His dentist, while still ruling with absolute power, has apparently eased off some of the more wacko poo poo of his predecessor. It isn't nearly so bizarre as North Korea (I'd bet), but they haven't had as long to work on it either. They are not so isolated as a nation though, Iran I know has linked the place with rail lines to encourage trade.

wikipedia posted:

Each broadcast under Niyazov began with a pledge that the broadcaster's tongue will shrivel if he slanders the country, flag, or president.

He also apparently banned opera and circuses for being "decidedly unturkmen-like"; and changed the names of the months and the days of the week - some of the former included his adopted name, the name of his mother and to the name of the book that he wrote as a "spiritual guide" to the people of Turkmenistan.

Its fair to say that he's a little crazy; but that's part of what makes batshit insane dictators interesting!

e:

wikipedia posted:

In August 2005, the first part of the Ruhnama [Niyazov's book] was jettisoned out the airlock of a Russian shuttle so that it could "conquer space" as well. It is supposed to orbit Earth for the next 150 years.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I hope whoever had to chuck that thing out of a Soyuz hurled it as hard as he could towards the earth.

E: or in whichever direction that it would re-enter ASAP since orbital mechanics are weird.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 22, 2014

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

He also apparently banned opera and circuses for being "decidedly unturkmen-like"; and changed the names of the months and the days of the week - some of the former included his adopted name, the name of his mother and to the name of the book that he wrote as a "spiritual guide" to the people of Turkmenistan.

Its fair to say that he's a little crazy; but that's part of what makes batshit insane dictators interesting!

e:

Also renamed after his mother: bread.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Count Roland posted:

This is incorrect. Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow, the current President of Turkmenistan, was a dentist by profession but served as Minister of Health beginning in 1997 and Deputy Prime Minister starting in 2001. He became Acting President following Niyazov's death in 2006, being reelected to the post the following year.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I hope whoever had to chuck that thing out of a Soyuz hurled it as hard as he could towards the earth.

E: or in whichever direction that it would re-enter ASAP since orbital mechanics are weird.

If you check the BBC article that wiki sources, it wasn't actually tossed out a hatch at all, it was launched along with a Turkmeni flag and some other doodads as part of a microsatellite from a Dnepr rocket.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

This is incorrect. Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow, the current President of Turkmenistan, was a dentist by profession but served as Minister of Health beginning in 1997 and Deputy Prime Minister starting in 2001. He became Acting President following Niyazov's death in 2006, being reelected to the post the following year.

All relevant facts and context aside, the question stands: was he Niyazov's dentist? It's important.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Farecoal posted:

No, here's a desktop-only browser map for Feb-2014 through April 2014 from StatCounter:

What sticks out to me the most about this map is that it has all the Kurile islands as being Japanese, even the ones that Japan doesn't claim.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 22, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

If you check the BBC article that wiki sources, it wasn't actually tossed out a hatch at all, it was launched along with a Turkmeni flag and some other doodads as part of a microsatellite from a Dnepr rocket.

All relevant facts and context aside, the question stands: was he Niyazov's dentist? It's important.

Yes he was.

quote:

Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov was originally Turkmenbashi’s personal dentist, and was in turn named the Minister of Health in 1997.
http://eurobloggers.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/president-berdimuhamedov-dentist-to-dictator/

I have a book that mentions this too.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 22, 2014

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The Monkey Man posted:

What sticks out to me the most about this map is that it has all the Kurile islands as being Japanese, even the ones that Japan doesn't claim.

What if those islands just really, really like Internet Explorer? :colbert:

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

PittTheElder posted:

Yes, apparently he was. I like to think the country's succession was assured via laughing gas.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
I guess like that?

"It... it didn't even hurt! You are a genius! Come over and gently caress my sisterinherit my absolute rulership of the Turkmen people!"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mostly want to know if he was still his dentist, even after he became Minister of Health.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I mostly want to know if he was still his dentist, even after he became Minister of Health.

I want to believe that even as absolute ruler of the Turkmen he takes time out of his busy schedule to one by one make sure that each member of parliment's teeth are spotless.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Or he was just better at torturing people.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

"Let the life of every Turkmen be as beautiful as our melons." - Turkmenbashi

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Get it together, China.

VitalSigns posted:

Jesus Christ man, how many threads are you going to poo poo up with this whining about how minorities should shut up and let you call them gooks and niggers but also no don't say redneck that's so racist against whites :qq:

To be honest, American goons' visceral hatred of the South because they are 'bad people' that don't have the correct value system has always struck me as poorly masqueraded chauvinism.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

To be honest, American goons' visceral hatred of the South because they are 'bad people' that don't have the correct value system has always struck me as poorly masqueraded chauvinism.

Yeah, there's plenty of racists outside the South as well.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Phlegmish posted:

I pretty much agree, but the original issue was if it was cool to call North Koreans 'Norks', I guess because it's mildly quicker to type. Though 'gooks' is just as easy to type, don't really see why we need a new dehumanizing term for our sub-human Asian enemies when we have a perfectly good one we can brush the dust off of.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

the jizz taxi posted:

Yeah, there's plenty of racists outside the South as well.
I've always read it as being largely facetious - largely, mind you. If there is resentment there it is because this part of the country which seems lovely, unpleasant, often prejudiced and once actively rebellious, has had the decisive influence on the conduct of American politics and government for the majority of the US's existence.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

China truly is the most glorious state.

Also shut the gently caress up about whatever you're whining about and have a big gay map:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Phlegmish posted:

Get it together, China.

Win8 is only on the legend as a joke, right?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Phlegmish posted:

Get it together, China.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Soviet Commubot posted:

In Breton, the British sea or Breton sea. Brittany and Britain are distinguished as Breizh and Breizh Veur, literally Britain and Great Britain. Sometimes Brittany is called Breizh Vihan, or Little Britain.

Don't forget that besides Britain and Brittany there was also Britonia, in what is now Spain:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

quote:

Eastern Sea/Östersjön/Itämeri

:aaaaa:

It has NEVER even crossed my mind that there might be something illogical about the name of that sea.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The English channel's called the "arm sleeve channel" in German.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Riso posted:

The English channel's called the "arm sleeve channel" in German.

That's just a loan translation of French 'la Manche'.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phlegmish posted:

Get it together, China.

This is wrong, South Korea just started switching from XP when Windows cut support for it like a month ago. Asia in general is all XP and IE 6. Many websites literally will not function without it, even like IE 8 sends them into fits.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I also find it hard to believe that Laos and Malawi and especially Bhutan are using more modern software than China.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Disco Infiva posted:

OK then, how about this?

Is making fun of people who use Internet Explorer considered racism?

Ah, a personal peeve of mine - recording French Guiana as different from France, when they wouldn't think of having separate results for the U.S. and Alaska.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Golbez posted:

Ah, a personal peeve of mine - recording French Guiana as different from France, when they wouldn't think of having separate results for the U.S. and Alaska.

Everyone knows that they still only use WebTV in Alaska.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Weird choice to have China be the only country on that map that's not red.

Well, and Western Sahara.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Western Sahara just loves Dogpile.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Golbez posted:

Apropos:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Golbez posted:

Depending on how the stats are gathered, that may be because French Guiana has a ccTLD and Alaska does not.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Grand Fromage posted:

This is wrong, South Korea just started switching from XP when Windows cut support for it like a month ago. Asia in general is all XP and IE 6. Many websites literally will not function without it, even like IE 8 sends them into fits.

Yeah, in my former job I worked on a web store for China and we had to support IE6-IE10, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. It was a goddamn nightmare and I'm glad I left.

The good news that at least for our site, IE6 usage was down to about 20% of the total by the time I left. It was still the most-used browser, but it was slowly getting to the point where we could safely move from 'pixel-perfect' to 'graceful degradation'.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

I'll bite: what is the map about?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kassad posted:

About 1000*1000.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Kassad posted:

Number of neighboring states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Kassad posted:

Shared borders with countries placed at their weighted centroid.