Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've no doubt Margot will be portrayed as homosexual in the coming episodes, especially if Fuller's discussing not portraying that negatively. I'm curious how it will be portrayed, though; Hannibal (moreso the first season) has come off as such a sexless show. Presumably she will be in the group seduction scene also brought up in the walkthrough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I actually kind of love hearing Fuller hint at scenes like that, because it's so hard to imagine something like that not just being some bizarre tumblr fever dream come to life, but I know somehow he will make it work.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

FourLeaf posted:

Yeah, there's still a good chance Margot might be non-heterosexual. I trust Bryan Fuller to know which parts of Hannibal to keep and which parts need to be dropped.

That's what I took from her "My family thinks I'm wierd" statement, she's still a lesbian character. Who knows this early though.
I mean look at her clothes, they're like suits of armour, complete with solid metal collar guard tastefully placed in the first meeting we get with her. I loving love this chick already.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Mameluke posted:

I've no doubt Margot will be portrayed as homosexual in the coming episodes, especially if Fuller's discussing not portraying that negatively. I'm curious how it will be portrayed, though; Hannibal (moreso the first season) has come off as such a sexless show. Presumably she will be in the group seduction scene also brought up in the walkthrough?

I have no idea how that scene will go down but I'm sure it will be loving crazy :D

Even if Margot's not in that scene, it would be easy enough for Mason to throw some insults her way as a casual reveal

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Paradox Personified posted:

I mean look at her clothes, they're like suits of armour, complete with solid metal collar guard tastefully placed in the first meeting we get with her. I loving love this chick already.

This is such a cool observation, I hadn't even thought of this. I actually didn't like her outfits; now they totally make sense.

In an attempt to redeem my good name, how about a game? Sort've. Maybe just a list of suggestions. What director(s) would you like to see direct an episode of the show, and why?

One of mine is Guillermo del Toro. Would love to see the visuals he'd come up with.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
If we're doing fantasy directors for the show, I'd love to see David Cronenberg do an ep. And not why you'd think. He's long moved past body horror and focuses more on mental ambiguity and personal identity. I'd love to see what he could do in this show filled with hyper-intelligence and absolute artistic beauty.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea current Cronenberg could do a show like this great.

edit: Haha was in the totally wrong thread but it worked no matter what I thought I was reading.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have Jonathan Demme do one.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
If I could raise people from the dead I'd vote for Stanley Kubrick, but alas. Still. Such a Kubrick influence, especially in the 1st season.

For still-alive people, David Lynch perhaps?

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
I don't know about Hannibal but I'd love to see a show that's a cross between 1960s style scifi like 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Cell with a plot reminiscent of Twin Peaks or Carnivale weirdness, something that would look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKCHXpSEtOU

Instead I get Under the Dome and Helix.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Simstim posted:

I don't know about Hannibal but I'd love to see a show that's a cross between 1960s style scifi like 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Cell with a plot reminiscent of Twin Peaks or Carnivale weirdness, something that would look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKCHXpSEtOU

Instead I get Under the Dome and Helix.

Look up Happy Town

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wiggy Marie posted:

In an attempt to redeem my good name, how about a game? Sort've. Maybe just a list of suggestions. What director(s) would you like to see direct an episode of the show, and why?

One of mine is Guillermo del Toro. Would love to see the visuals he'd come up with.

Oh, del Toro and Cronenberg would make meals of this show. Who else...

Michelle MacLaren directed almost all your favorite episodes of Breaking Bad and many of your favorite Game of Thrones episodes. She's the real deal; possibly the best director of action and suspense working in TV today (as evidenced by BB's "One Minute," "Gliding Over All," and "To'hajille"), but also one who's exceedingly capable of shooting gorgeous imagery. I'd love to see what would happen if she got to play with this show.

As far as "movie" directors go...Mark Romanek. NiN's "Closer" video. Never Let Me Go. *drops mic*

I'm sure I'll think of a few more.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, based strictly on what I heard about Under the Skin, Jonathan Glazer would probably wreck poo poo as well.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 22, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Michael Gondry

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

scary ghost dog posted:

Michael Gondry

Gondry's great, but he'd be wrong for the show. His style is a bit more sunny; it plays casual and loose despite how meticulous the work itself is.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Gondry's great, but he'd be wrong for the show. His style is a bit more sunny; it plays casual and loose despite how meticulous the work itself is.

Ok how about Quentin Tarantino

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DivisionPost posted:

Bryan Fuller's great, but he'd be wrong for the show. His style is a bit more sunny; it plays casual and loose despite how meticulous the work itself is.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Or lol wait, what about uhh Steven Spielberg

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

George Lucas

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The difference is that Bryan Fuller's got his hands on the wheel, and was thus free to change his style to suit the story he wanted to tell. If a guest director comes in, he's going to be serving at the pleasure of Fuller and David Slade. He'll put his own spin on it, sure, but at the end of the day his job is to maintain visual continuity.

Don't get me wrong, if I ever actually see Michel Gondry's name on an episode I'll be VERY interested. But why put him on a wish list when very little of what makes him Michel loving Gondry is likely to come through?

That's not rhetorical, BTW; if you have an answer I'd be happy to hear it. :)

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

McG

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I know we're throwing out every name under the sun, but I'd like to put Aronofsky's name in the ring.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Danny Boyle, too

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chris Columbus

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Actually, Sam Raimi

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Steve Yun posted:

I know we're throwing out every name under the sun, but I'd like to put Aronofsky's name in the ring.

My favorite director. He has a real eye for practical effects, I'd love to see what he could come up with. My only concern would be that he would go too deep into the dark emotions and lose sight of the black humor that should be there...but I would still love to see it. I just might be hella depressed after.

Joke option: Tim Burton. Serial killer Johnny Depp in the same role he always plays in a Tim Burton feature. All colors oversaturated. Hannibal suddenly wearing nothing but black and white pinstripe suits.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Wiggy Marie posted:

My favorite director. He has a real eye for practical effects, I'd love to see what he could come up with. My only concern would be that he would go too deep into the dark emotions and lose sight of the black humor that should be there...but I would still love to see it. I just might be hella depressed after.

Joke option: Tim Burton. Serial killer Johnny Depp in the same role he always plays in a Tim Burton feature. All colors oversaturated. Hannibal suddenly wearing nothing but black and white pinstripe suits.

And Mads Mikkelsen gets to show off his dancing skills in the obligatory musical numbers every few scenes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wiggy Marie posted:

I'd like to see Hannibal Meets Beetlejuice

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nicholas Winding Refn would be interesting to see.

Modest Proportion
Dec 16, 2012

"Oh wrangling schools, that search what fire
Shall burn this world, had none the wit
Unto this knowledge to aspire,
That this her fever might be it?"

"Did you just smell me?"

Wiggy Marie posted:

How the poo poo has David Fincher not been mentioned yet? The progression from Dragon Tattoo, House of Cards, Gone Girl and then this is all too natural. Even the cinematography choices align perfectly.

If Lars von Trier can be coaxed out of his own rear end in a top hat he'd do right by this series. And Season 3 Hannibal should somehow drag in Thomas Vinterberg for obvious reasons.

Now, if we're talking about second string directors, James Wan has been itching to do something like this show, I know it. And Ridley Scott is probably spiritually hoping for a chance to redeem the turd he put on the table with HIS Hannibal. Except after what he did to The Counselor...I think not.

As for my all-time favorite-gonzo choice: Shane Carruth (Primer, Upstream Color) would be aces for this show.

EDIT: inb4 David Lynch, especially after that ear-homage from the third episode.

Modest Proportion fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 22, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
David Wain would do a fun episode

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Modest Proportion posted:

How the poo poo has David Fincher not been mentioned yet? The progression from Dragon Tattoo, House of Cards, Gone Girl and then this is all too natural. Even the cinematography choices align perfectly.

I have wanted a Fincher version of Red Dragon so much for so many years that this would probably make me cry. Can you imagine that last adaptation if Fincher had done it?

The series has referenced his work enough, it would be a fantastic way to come full circle, stylistically speaking.

Modest Proportion
Dec 16, 2012

"Oh wrangling schools, that search what fire
Shall burn this world, had none the wit
Unto this knowledge to aspire,
That this her fever might be it?"

"Did you just smell me?"

Wiggy Marie posted:

I have wanted a Fincher version of Red Dragon so much for so many years that this would probably make me cry. Can you imagine that last adaptation if Fincher had done it?

The series has referenced his work enough, it would be a fantastic way to come full circle, stylistically speaking.

He probably hasn't done it because David Fincher is too much of a perfectionist to be able to handle someone like Anthony Hopkins, and the only reason the remake was made was to cash in on the Hopkins Hannibal before he lost his hair or something.

It's surprising how much Bryan Fuller and David Slade's combined visions end up looking like David Fincher's.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

scary ghost dog posted:

Look up Happy Town

I was confused as hell when I first read this until I realised you weren't talking about this show:

Goons used to get creepy as hell over this show and that's what I initially thought you meant.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

I was confused as hell when I first read this until I realised you weren't talking about this show:

Goons used to get creepy as hell over this show and that's what I initially thought you meant.

I don't know what that is.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Tarsem Singh would be awesome, except he'd prefer some vast mise-en-scène shots.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
How about Tarsem Singh with D'Onofrio guest starring as a nod to The Cell. (Movie that explored the mind of a killer with the same kind of beauty in horror and subtlety as Hannibal is currently bringing to the table).
It's so worth the watch, just skip any scene that Mr D isn't in or track down the fan edit: The killers mind is full of art references and D'Onofrio is just incredible playing different facets of himself. You both hate him vicerally and love him in the same scene towards the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22gw_64AGKM

God, I can't wait to see more of the inside of Hannibal's mind! The scene where he imagines the guy in the cornfield and his senses are aroused by it was thrilling; as was the flower blooming imagery for his renewed creative drive.

scary ghost dog: That's Lazy Town, a kids show about getting healthy which had some very catchy songs. You are a Pirate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ju_10NkGY
Cooking by the book https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD71JeX4Vk0
It caught on with a wierd crowd (You know, the type who end up liking moe anime too much or end up as bronies) and quickly soured as a meme.

edited to add:
ufran: Yeah, he'd probably break their budget. He likes HUGE.

n3wt fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 22, 2014

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Modest Proportion posted:

He probably hasn't done it because David Fincher is too much of a perfectionist to be able to handle someone like Anthony Hopkins, and the only reason the remake was made was to cash in on the Hopkins Hannibal before he lost his hair or something.

It's surprising how much Bryan Fuller and David Slade's combined visions end up looking like David Fincher's.

Hopefully now that Mads has shown that the role can be played by someone else, played so well that (at least to me) Hopkins' performance seems a bit silly, they could use another actor to play the role. I would happily start a letter writing campaign to have Fincher direct an episode...what dreams may come.

Also, is Hopkins hard to work with? I didn't know that, and it kind of makes me laugh if so.

Holy crap, hahaha!

scary ghost dog posted:

I'd like to see Hannibal Meets Beetlejuice

Soundtrack by Danny Elfman, every 30 seconds either Jimmy Price or Zeller says WHEEEE!

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
Michael Bay collaborating with Lars von Trier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Victor Salva

• Locked thread