Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Maxmaps posted:

Haha, nah, clock's ticking on .24, no time for more features.

BOOP
BEEP
BOOP
BEEP
:twentyfour:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Maxmaps posted:

Haha, nah, clock's ticking on .24, no time for more features.

You'd better not be adding biomes to Moho. I'm just getting back from there! :argh:

Because ion engines don't have exhaust plumes, you can run them while they're inches away from other parts of the rocket and they'll still work like a charm!

Moho is finally conquered!

And then one Kerbal fell from a ladder and couldn't jetpack away in time. He landed on a folded solar panel, which then bounced into another folded solar panel. And another, and finally it also took out one of the unfolded ones. On the bright side, they're so close to the sun that they can still run their ion cluster... :smithicide:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I'm just settling in my new game, now that all the addons are up to date!

I hate to say this, but you guys release too often!

(Actually I just need to get in the habit of backing up my KSP folder pre-update so I can keep playing...)

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Geemer posted:

You'd better not be adding biomes to Moho. I'm just getting back from there! :argh:

I know you're kidding but adding official biomes to the rest of the planets would be in my top three wishes for the next update, at least as far as career mode goes. Career mode starts out fun but kind of stalls out mid tech tree when you realize that it'd be more profitable science-wise to run *yet another* Minmus hopper mission than to mount a more challenging mission to other planets due to their lack of explorable biomes.

Also, while I'm whining about career mode it'd be really cool if the tech tree nodes were always visible and just greyed out until unlocked so you could read ahead a few levels and try to target a specific tech that you want. Kind of like how in the Civilization games you can see the whole tree and make a goal of unlocking technology X three levels above where you currently are.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
By the time we hit final release all bodies (and asteroids) will have biomes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

By the time we hit final release all bodies (and asteroids) will have biomes.

What about new block types?

Oh wait wrong game.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Am I supposed to be able to remove science from my Magnetometer? It seems to be the only device that is bugged in my current game, it works and collects science just fine but when I EVA over to it, nothing.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Isn't Biome going to be a bit of a misnomer in most situations in KSP? I mean, I'm pretty sure the bio part of that refers to the existence of life, which we would presume most Kerbal celestial bodies do not have. :goonsay:

I'm probably just being excessively pedantic, but it kinda stuck out to me.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

zxqv8 posted:

Isn't Biome going to be a bit of a misnomer in most situations in KSP? I mean, I'm pretty sure the bio part of that refers to the existence of life, which we would presume most Kerbal celestial bodies do not have. :goonsay:

I'm probably just being excessively pedantic, but it kinda stuck out to me.

Well maybe all bodies have microbial life that differs from region to region. :colbert:

Edit: They really should be called something like regions.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Maxmaps posted:

Well maybe all bodies have microbial life that differs from region to region. :colbert:

Prediction: Competition in KSP will come in the form of alien life from Laythe trying to start a competing space program.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ambient alien life would be amazing. The game desperately needs something to see while driving.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I just want real-time terrain modification so I can make a huge crater by smashing a Class E into Kerbin.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Make every planet have some Spore-esque procedurally generated wildlife :colbert:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Make every planet have some Spore-esque procedurally generated wildlife :colbert:

We do not use the S word in our dev team. We were all hurt by it.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Only someone who plays KSP would have thought this was a good idea. :jeb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjWqQPWmsY

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I think Spore broke a little piece of everybody's heart.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mend it by making swastika monsters

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
At least we have an inkling of the gameplay in KSP. Spore just had Peter Molyneux levels of promise. :(

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

Mend it by making swastika monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQKeLnZxGoU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The Green Calx posted:

Confirmed. So much wasted potential- the E3 video looked goddamn awesome and then we got a horrendously dumbed down piece of poo poo. A game that's so simple you can beat it in a couple hours is not what anyone expected or wanted.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Green Calx posted:

I'll...I'll miss the days of hope and glory...:smith:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Geemer posted:

Moho? Next on the list is clearly Eve. :getin:

More relevant to the discussion, I tuned out the hype leading up the the latest patch, so I couldn't figure out what to do with all the unkown objects in the tracking station. Got that sorted out yesterday, only to discover there's a class C that's going to impact Kerbin in 70 days. :jebstare:

I had brought back a load of station science experiments from the Mun, so I threw that into gas core NTRs from Interstellar and made this beast while listening to TWoK

It made an empty and wobbly ascent and is currently in a 200km parking orbit waiting for crew and propellant tankers.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Ok so apparently i DID manage to install the RealFuels configs wrong before. Now the engines actually use them and have different (indeed, much better) stats. But I no longer see the auto-fill button:

As far as I can tell all I can do is work out the ratios myself based on the engine consumption info. What am I doing wrong now?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Please don't ever fix the hydrophobic intakes bug. I'm having more fun than I should building scoop-lined speedboats.

My first successful design (definition of success being sustained full-throttle). Also rock-solid stable (even in physwarp though at 4x scoop 'erosion' becomes a major issue) thanks to the front-mount engines, and still pretty manoeuverable.

After I lightened it up it did this. It stayed there in the mid-130m/s range for quite a while, then it shot up to 148 inexplicably and the rest of the scoops gave up by the time I found my print screen key again (new laptop).

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Mr. Wynand posted:

As far as I can tell all I can do is work out the ratios myself based on the engine consumption info. What am I doing wrong now?

Either you didn't install it correctly OR that particular engine has no configuration yet. Look at the engine itself - if it says it requires LiquidFuel/Oxidizer, it's the latter.

VVV
Huh, okay. Does it do that for every engine or just that particular one? You might want to post in the thread on the KSP forum - I had something similar happen a couple of months back, so I basically installed everything again and it fixed itself.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Having said that, boy does this thing encourage some very... very large rockets if you use Liquid H2..
Yeah, having some powerful solid fuel boosters helps in not making your rocket larger than the VAB.

sckye fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 22, 2014

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

sckye posted:

Either you didn't install it correctly OR that particular engine has no configuration yet. Look at the engine itself - if it says it requires LiquidFuel/Oxidizer, it's the latter.

No it requires LiquidH2 and LiquidOxygen :/

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Having said that, boy does this thing encourage some very... very large rockets if you use Liquid H2.. I guess that's actually pretty accurate.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Tommychu posted:

Please don't ever fix the hydrophobic intakes bug. I'm having more fun than I should building scoop-lined speedboats.

My first successful design (definition of success being sustained full-throttle). Also rock-solid stable (even in physwarp though at 4x scoop 'erosion' becomes a major issue) thanks to the front-mount engines, and still pretty manoeuverable.

After I lightened it up it did this. It stayed there in the mid-130m/s range for quite a while, then it shot up to 148 inexplicably and the rest of the scoops gave up by the time I found my print screen key again (new laptop).

BRB making a Kerbal Podracer.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

VanSandman posted:

BRB making a Kerbal Podracer.

Only if you use a cockpit shackled to a couple of jet engines with KAS cables :jeb:.

It will end with glorious disaster if my KAS based asteroid tugboats are anything to judge by, but I will tip my hat to any mad bastard that makes it work. Though they do have the advantage of repulsor technology. I don't even know how you would land something like that in KSP.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 22, 2014

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011
Managed to get my first asteroid around Kerbin, a Class-A that strayed a bit to close to the SOI and only needed a few nudges and an aerobreak to bring it into a stable, non inclined orbit. Dawwww, ain't it a cute little space pebble. :3:

So with an asteroid in space and a shuttle on the ground there's only one thing to do. And when you've got that one thing to do, you've got one man to call: Yippie-kai-yay, motherfuckers. :clint: Of course this went about as well as expected as not a single person working on the project understood what 'orbit' meant let alone 'stable,' or 'don't loving fire the main engines when you're close to the big space rock.'

All things considered Bruce is pretty chill about the situation. He's also finally stopped complaining to mission control that his 'nukey button thing,' isn't working after his agent informed him that he's gotten half a dozen new movie offers during his tenure in space. What a hero! :911:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Mr. Wynand posted:

Also apparently the real engines do not actually have much higher Isp than stock? I thought KSP Isps were lower to balance out the smaller gravity well?
The ISPs are realistic, it's the thrust-to-weight ratio that's way low. KSP's chemical rockets mass up to 10 times more or have 10 times less thrust depending on how you look at it. The nuclear thermal rocket is realistic in performance, jets are too powerful and the ion engine is probably thousands of times more powerful than real ones.

A real life rocket is ~95% propellant by mass. The rest is payload, engines, structure and staging equipment. All the structure and engines etc. are very, very light. It's why SpaceX can fly its first stage back to launch site with a pittance of fuel and an acceptable payload penalty.

They rockets in game are generally balanced sensibly enough - the point isn't so much to model exactly realistic engines but to make a fun game where the end result also matches up with reality to a degree. I disagree with the way the ion engine and to a lesser extent the jets are currently, though. The chemical and nuclear rockets work pretty well.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Elukka posted:

The ISPs are realistic, it's the thrust-to-weight ratio that's way low. KSP's chemical rockets mass up to 10 times more or have 10 times less thrust depending on how you look at it. The nuclear thermal rocket is realistic in performance, jets are too powerful and the ion engine is probably thousands of times more powerful than real ones.

A real life rocket is ~95% propellant by mass. The rest is payload, engines, structure and staging equipment. All the structure and engines etc. are very, very light. It's why SpaceX can fly its first stage back to launch site with a pittance of fuel and an acceptable payload penalty.

They rockets in game are generally balanced sensibly enough - the point isn't so much to model exactly realistic engines but to make a fun game where the end result also matches up with reality to a degree. I disagree with the way the ion engine and to a lesser extent the jets are currently, though. The chemical and nuclear rockets work pretty well.

You know the game balance is working when someone posts about a new bizarre idea they've had and someone links a relatively unknown research project or mission and points out it's also totally possible in reality, not actually just a gamey exploit.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps you should be able to research an anchor. Attach it to one end of the spacecraft, go EVA, throw the anchor towards the planet, have it dig in and slowly dig a trench around the planet to slow the ship.

KAS has an anchor, though I haven't tried it.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Trambopaline posted:

Only if you use a cockpit shackled to a couple of jet engines with KAS cables :jeb:.

It will end with glorious disaster if my KAS based asteroid tugboats are anything to judge by, but I will tip my hat to any mad bastard that makes it work. Though they do have the advantage of repulsor technology. I don't even know how you would land something like that in KSP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P_fEiWoHYI

A pod racer, you say?

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Well that was amazingly well behaved. I expected a twitchy mass of flailing and pain. Super impressed that he actually managed to stick the landing too.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Hel posted:

KAS has an anchor, though I haven't tried it.

Using a KAS anchor, the anchor would hit the ground, dig in, and your craft will either break the cable/winch/mounting or swing downwards into the ground quite fast.

Bozonofski
Sep 22, 2009
So today I went looking for a modpack after I destroyed my install and couldn't find anything besides some grumbling on the forums about the evils of minecraft technic.
Has anyone put one together? After watching some of Scott Manley's interstellar I would love something like that, but am struggling doing it myself.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm making good progress in career mode after realising that the fuel efficiency makes the little engines way better for my lander/final stage than the big ones; just did a ~1300 science Minmus mission :toot:

All the stuff about launch windows, gravity assists etc is totally over my head at the moment, though - I've read/seen some stuff about people touring the solar system on Tier 0 parts (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MryzqX5hUjw) and I really want to try it out.

So far I've just been making a maneuver node at periapsis to raise the apoapsis up to the orbit of my target, then tweaking it until I get an intercept, but obviously I could be doing things much more efficiently.

How much more is there to it than that, and does anyone have any tips or videos/guides specifically about this?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm making good progress in career mode after realising that the fuel efficiency makes the little engines way better for my lander/final stage than the big ones; just did a ~1300 science Minmus mission :toot:

All the stuff about launch windows, gravity assists etc is totally over my head at the moment, though - I've read/seen some stuff about people touring the solar system on Tier 0 parts (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MryzqX5hUjw) and I really want to try it out.

So far I've just been making a maneuver node at periapsis to raise the apoapsis up to the orbit of my target, then tweaking it until I get an intercept, but obviously I could be doing things much more efficiently.

How much more is there to it than that, and does anyone have any tips or videos/guides specifically about this?

Scott Manley's most recent tutorial series goes over interplanetary transfers in its last video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1SSHWM_phU

The video's description links to this tool: http://ksp.olex.biz/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jack the Lad posted:

No, that's 90% of it right there. The only thing you could change is that doing it at periapsis isn't always necessarily the best place. If you start somewhere else you can get an intercept by using only prograde or retrograde burns, which is the most efficient way. The best maneuver possible does not go outside the start or destination orbit (unless you're doing a bi-elliptic transfer, which is usually not necessary).

Interplanetary transfers are basically the same, with the additional complication that you have to wait for the planets to be in the right place before you can even start the process of finding an intercept. That's where launch windows and scheduling tools come in.

• Locked thread