Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

PriorMarcus posted:

That new monster looks awesome.

Hey, it's cool to see you trying to enjoy th...

PriorMarcus posted:

Nope. It's going to be about Robin Hood fighting a monster and it will most likely be a bit rubbish.

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Hey, it's cool to see you trying to enjoy th...

Oh.

I just don't think the Doctor meeting Robin Hood and fighting robots with him sounds that inspired. It's basically the stock Doctor Who plot, does that make sense?

I'm excited for Capaldi, what little we know about the first episode sounds promising (I love the idea of the leaked phone conversation a lot) and in general I can't wait because it's Doctor Who and even when it's bad I enjoy it on a giddy emotional level.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I just don't think the Doctor meeting Robin Hood and fighting robots with him sounds that inspired. It's basically the stock Doctor Who plot, does that make sense?

I'm excited for Capaldi, what little we know about the first episode sounds promising (I love the idea of the leaked phone conversation a lot) and in general I can't wait because it's Doctor Who and even when it's bad I enjoy it on a giddy emotional level.

Yeah, no, I understand. Hearing Robin Hood doesn't make me jump and down (also because Robin Hood is one of the stories told that I've never been particularly fond of in any incarnation)

and I'll agree that Capaldi is exciting. Capaldi is the main reason I am still on board with Who after the Christmas Special last year, because it was trash besides the regeneration.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yeah, no, I understand. Hearing Robin Hood doesn't make me jump and down (also because Robin Hood is one of the stories told that I've never been particularly fond of in any incarnation)

and I'll agree that Capaldi is exciting. Capaldi is the main reason I am still on board with Who after the Christmas Special last year, because it was trash besides the regeneration.

Yeah, my wife and I just finished series 7 and the Christmas special, and we were both really disappointed in the year. I'd be taking a break from the show if not for Capaldi.

That said, I did enjoy Handles. The rest of the special, pre-Regeneration, really irritated me.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Robots and Robin Hood sounds like it could be a lot of fun, you bunch of party poopers.

Robots and Robin Hood, sure, that could be fun, but if they're the clockwork robots instead of like anything else that'll stick in my craw a bit

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fungah! posted:

Robots and Robin Hood, sure, that could be fun, but if they're the clockwork robots instead of like anything else that'll stick in my craw a bit

Wouldn't that make sense for the time period?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah it's true, I'm having a hard time thinking of any Robin Hood thing that was actually legitimately good. And no, laughing at Costner and Slater's accents in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves doesn't count.

Alan Rickman was good in that movie though.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
gently caress you guys, Robin of Sherwood owned. :colbert:

Well, until Jason Connery showed up, anyway.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
At least it's not weeping angels or cybermen again

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, my wife and I just finished series 7 and the Christmas special, and we were both really disappointed in the year. I'd be taking a break from the show if not for Capaldi.

That said, I did enjoy Handles. The rest of the special, pre-Regeneration, really irritated me.

Moffat had years to plan out and tease Eleven's final hours and it still felt rushed and pulled out of thin air.

I don't understand why he mentioned the Regeneration limit at all when it previously hadn't been an issue at all for Eleven. I'm guessing it was a necessity from Nine turning down the 50th and him not understanding character development enough to have Eight in it so a regeneration had to be used on Fan Fiction Doctor.

It was just loving nonsense really, and the 50th was good as a stand alone episode but as an on-going part of the larger Moffat mythos and the story of the new series it wasn't very good. Seriously, gently caress Gallifrey.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...wait, people didn't like the clockwork robots?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

docbeard posted:

I think they're more worried they will become overused like the angels have.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mr.Radar posted:

I think they're more worried they will become overused like the angels have.

Yeah, that's my concern. Any word on if the Angels are gonna be in series 8?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

docbeard posted:

The problem is they weren't really villains, just malfunctioning pieces of hardware who misunderstood how to fix a ship.

Bringing them back means either giving them motivations for being villainous or contriving a reason for them to misunderstand something again.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm still annoyed with the Clockwork Robots (and the Judoon) for ranking too highly in that fan vote of greatest monsters and villains that was on BBC3 during the 50th anniversary.

But they are ok I guess.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

The problem is they weren't really villains, just malfunctioning pieces of hardware who misunderstood how to fix a ship.

Bringing them back means either giving them motivations for being villainous or contriving a reason for them to misunderstand something again.

Yes, this is my reasoning too. Unless they've deliberately been programmed for evil, in which case, have at it. Maybe clockwork means they're not 3 Rules-compliant?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, this is my problem with reusing them. They worked brilliantly in Girl in the Fireplace, but in any other circumstances they'd feel incredibly contrived.

This also kind of touches on one of my big problems with Moffat's tenure, which is that he just doesn't seem to know when to let a good idea die. People've mentioned the Angels, and they're by far the biggest offenders, but they're far from the only ones and I'd kind of prefer not to see the clockwork robots go the same way.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

PriorMarcus posted:

(I love the idea of the leaked phone conversation a lot)

What was this phone conversation? I didn't see anything in the thread like that (unless it was the implicit source of some of the other information) and google has a lot of articles about a doctor, who...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rochallor posted:

What was this phone conversation?

Apparently the first episode ends with Twelve, Eleven and Clara chatting via the Tardis phone. The only thing we know for sure is that Twelve shouts to Clara "Is that The Doctor?" gleefully when he remembers whose calling them.

Just before Eleven regenerates, when Clara enters the Tardis, the phone is shown to be off the hook, and that's why.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I like the Clockwork Robots and would actually enjoy seeing them again. Once.

and then not again for years and years.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

The thing about the Clockwork Robots is that their look and motives were so specific to Girl in the Fireplace, if they were to come back they could be literally anything. They don't necessarily have to be bad guys, even.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Maybe they could follow the example of the Silence in the Christmas special and be some stupid bullshit that doesn't make any sense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

2house2fly posted:

Maybe they could follow the example of the Silence in the Christmas special and be some stupid bullshit that doesn't make any sense.

What was the reasoning behind the Silence again? Confessionals?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I don't want the clockwork robots back because he'll never write a better one and until now, nothing from that episode has been dragged into the self-referential continuity clusterfuck that now wraps around pretty much everything else he's written and I really didn't want to see that episode get dragged in there too.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I had hoped the whole Clara wears red all the time thing would've been solved/explained along with the reveal of her jumping in the time stream, but I see she's still at it. Or do we have an explanation for it that I've forgotten? Or maybe it's as simple as it's just her signature thing and I'm over thinking it.

And I could see the robots coming back once more to flesh out their back story. Been a while since I saw that episode but I don't recall ever knowing their motivation, who made them, etc. It could be interesting, but it could also get Moffatted.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zamiel posted:

I had hoped the whole Clara wears red all the time thing would've been solved/explained along with the reveal of her jumping in the time stream, but I see she's still at it. Or do we have an explanation for it that I've forgotten? Or maybe it's as simple as it's just her signature thing and I'm over thinking it.

I wasn't even aware that was a thing, to be honest.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

zamiel posted:

And I could see the robots coming back once more to flesh out their back story. Been a while since I saw that episode but I don't recall ever knowing their motivation, who made them, etc. It could be interesting, but it could also get Moffatted.

Honestly, is it a thing? With her dark hair and skintone Clara looks really good in red, I think that's all it is. We weren't wondering what the secret of Amy's miniskirt, Martha's leather jacket or Rose's hair dye were, were we?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

I wasn't even aware that was a thing, to be honest.

That's largely because it isn't a thing anywhere out of that post. :shrug:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If we don't get an explanation soon for why every companion since the start of the revival has had either one and two syllables in both their first and last names I will curse Moffat's name to the heavens.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

docbeard posted:

If we don't get an explanation soon for why every companion since the start of the revival has had either one and two syllables in both their first and last names I will curse Moffat's name to the heavens.

Lady Christina DeSouza would like to have a word with you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Stairs posted:

THE PLOT THICKENS

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

docbeard posted:

It's because "Russell" and "Steven" have two syllables.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Stairs posted:

Why do you think she ended up not being a permanent companion, uh?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So apparently the second episode is going to involve the Daleks? I was kind of hoping to not see them again for a while.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

So apparently the second episode is going to involve the Daleks? I was kind of hoping to not see them again for a while.

Isn't there some agreement in place that mandates the BBC to put Daleks in at least one episode per season?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I thought that part was just a rumor, and not an actual Nation estate mandate.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Chairman Capone posted:

Peter Capaldi wanted some loving Daleks, so we're getting some loving Daleks.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Somehow I feel like the Daleks will be more intimidating when not being played off a young, whimsical Doctor. Also Peter Capaldi won't go in for that pussy rainbow Dalek poo poo.

WhoIsBarryBostwick
Sep 17, 2008

You're going to like the way you look...I guarantee it.

The_Doctor posted:

What was the reasoning behind the Silence again? Confessionals?

Yeah. I think the idea was that once you confessed some misdeed to a Silence priest, you would forget you ever did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The thing with the Silence actually made sense and would have worked if there'd been something more than three seconds of voice over explaining it. And... also if the doctor didn't have an offscreen relationship with Tasha Lem that meant he should, logically, have known how they work.

Basically the explanation should have come during A Good Man Goes to War, which should have been more than one episode long.

• Locked thread