Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Peer review and replication serve different goals. It's not really an either-or.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

KernelSlanders posted:

Peer review and replication serve different goals. It's not really an either-or.

Well peer review is so you can get the research out there without the burden of having it be independently replicated, but if the name of the author is a better predictor of journal acceptance than the scientific soundness of the paper, the process has broken at some point.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Looks like the legalization vote in Alaska may be pushed back to November:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/alaska-marijuana-2014-election-105870.html?hp=l6

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Looks like the legalization vote in Alaska may be pushed back to November:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/alaska-marijuana-2014-election-105870.html?hp=l6

Can't load the page. What's the gist of it?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

AYC posted:

Can't load the page. What's the gist of it?

quote:

"Marijuana likely won’t be on the ballot until November in Alaska when voters head to the polls in the general election, because of the state’s Legislature extending its session.
A citizens’ petition to allow recreational marijuana use similar to alcohol qualified to be on the ballot in the August primary, but it is expected to get pushed back to November, Alaska Public Media reported.

The change is caused by the Legislature’s extended session: Lawmakers were unable to reach an agreement on education spending by the midnight deadline and thus continued to meet. Alaska law requires constitutional initiatives to wait 120 days after a legislative session before making the ballot, and the Aug. 19 primary is 120 days from Monday. With a highly contested Senate race on the ballot, turnout is expected to be heavy in the fall. Democratic incumbent Sen. Mark Begich has not drawn a serious challenge in the primary, while the Republican race to challenge Begich in November remains crowded. The move of the ballot initiative could spur liberal voters to turn out in the fall.
Medical marijuana is already legal in the state.
If the initiative succeeds, it would make Alaska the third state to allow recreational pot use, following Colorado and Washington."

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

prom candy posted:

My super liberal family who has past (positive, mainly) experience with marijuana is already talking about how the super strong weed in Colorado is making people "go crazy" and jump off balconies or shoot their spouses.

I'm as pro-legalization as anyone, but their concern isn't completely misguided. Go back a mere 20 years, and the cannabis in and around Colorado and elsewhere near there (Nebraska, Oklahoma etc.) was mostly Mexican brick weed of mediocre quality and potency. You couldn't even sell that these days. If someone who hasn't had much experience with the drug smoked too much (say a fat joint of some krippy), they could easily have a bad time, or panic and ending up in a hospital. It's a more potent drug than its reputation amongst some fans. I'd like to see more dispensaries and producers work on improving other qualities of their smoke than just how potent it is, especially for medical users that don't care for the psychoactive effects.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Broken Machine posted:

I'm as pro-legalization as anyone, but their concern isn't completely misguided. Go back a mere 20 years, and the cannabis in and around Colorado and elsewhere near there (Nebraska, Oklahoma etc.) was mostly Mexican brick weed of mediocre quality and potency. You couldn't even sell that these days. If someone who hasn't had much experience with the drug smoked too much (say a fat joint of some krippy), they could easily have a bad time, or panic and ending up in a hospital. It's a more potent drug than its reputation amongst some fans. I'd like to see more dispensaries and producers work on improving other qualities of their smoke than just how potent it is, especially for medical users that don't care for the psychoactive effects.

To be honest it was hard to not see some of these complaints coming. I fully expect to see most types of edibles banned in stores, the liability issue is huge and I'm surprised anybody bothers to sell the loving things - if a little kid gets ahold of a pot brownie they aren't going to die but they are going to have a really loving terrible time. It's easy to make the "parents need to be responsible" argument but some parents aren't and never will be. (My parents weren't!) Banning "ready to eat" edibles is probably something that is going to happen.

It does not help at all that edibles are the most apparently accessible form of THC delivery, since you don't have to own a pipe or learn how to smoke it. I can see a lot of total newbies going into a pot store, throwing down for a brownie for their first high, and then going out of their loving mind because they can't handle the effects.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 22, 2014

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Mirthless posted:

if a little kid gets ahold of a pot brownie they aren't going to die but they are going to have a really loving terrible time.

Unless it contains peanuts and they're allergic to peanuts.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Mirthless posted:

To be honest it was hard to not see some of these complaints coming. I fully expect to see most types of edibles banned in stores, the liability issue is huge and I'm surprised anybody bothers to sell the loving things - if a little kid gets ahold of a pot brownie they aren't going to die but they are going to have a really loving terrible time. It's easy to make the "parents need to be responsible" argument but some parents aren't and never will be. (My parents weren't!) Banning "ready to eat" edibles is probably something that is going to happen.

It does not help at all that edibles are the most apparently accessible form of THC delivery, since you don't have to own a pipe or learn how to smoke it. I can see a lot of total newbies going into a pot store, throwing down for a brownie for their first high, and then going out of their loving mind because they can't handle the effects.

They should ban ready to smoke weed then. Or ready to drink alcohol. Or ready to eat allergens.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

goodness posted:

They should ban ready to smoke weed then. Or ready to drink alcohol. Or ready to eat allergens.

That's not what we're saying. A closer analogy would be drinking grain alcohol the first time you get drunk, and the only choices in the liquor store are all hard alcohol. It's just something that needs to be figured out.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think people are eating pot brownies and expecting to giggle and make dumb observations like on That 70s Show, not go on an 8 hour borderline psychedelic trip. I hope dispensaries start doing a better job of warning people that eating a brownie can be like the weed equivalent of drinking a 26er of tequila (without the risk of poisoning)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Broken Machine posted:

That's not what we're saying. A closer analogy would be drinking grain alcohol the first time you get drunk, and the only choices in the liquor store are all hard alcohol. It's just something that needs to be figured out.

Yeah, what I said actually makes more sense.

Kids can walk into grocery stores, cabinet, friends and easily get alcohol/deathly allergens/etc. Way easier than getting a pot brownie.

Obviously their should be info on the edibles and the store employees should be educating people. But you can't stop stupid. I definitely see a lot stricter guidelines and testing on edibles happening, and its needed imo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

Kids can walk into grocery stores, cabinet, friends and easily get alcohol/deathly allergens/etc. Way easier than getting a pot brownie.

And? There's also way fewer people actually deathly allergic to any sort of food than there are people who can have a miserable time on too much of a drug.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Install Windows posted:

And? There's also way fewer people actually deathly allergic to any sort of food than there are people who can have a miserable time on too much of a drug.

Really? So you think there are more people that are so uneducated that they would just walk into a dispensary and buy a brownie (which all the ones I have seen have warnings on them), then there are people who are seriously or deathly allergic to any food? I guess a miserable time and a good lesson are worse than death.

I do think they should be regulated more, but banned? Nah :2bong:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The Government just need to standardize weed dosing. With Alcohol is pretty easy ABV is a great indicator on how drunk something will get you and ABV is tightly regulated such that you will never be "tricked" into drinking something WAY stronger than you are expecting, though certain beers can sneak up on you.

So once a standard process of THC proofing comes up, most of this will be taken care of.

As an aside that is one of the reasons I don't like edibles. The dosing is all hosed up combined with the amount of time it takes to kick in, means that I've eaten two brownies before realizing the first one would get me higher than I've ever been.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
What percentage of allergies do you think are fatal? I'd guess <1% but I don't know.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

Really? So you think there are more people that are so uneducated that they would just walk into a dispensary and buy a brownie (which all the ones I have seen have warnings on them), then there are people who are seriously or deathly allergic to any food? I guess a miserable time and a good lesson are worse than death.

I do think they should be regulated more, but banned? Nah

Yes I do! Among school-age children for example, the CDC estimates that 6% of them have medically relevant allergies to foods http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/foodallergies/ Note that this is not the same as people so allergic to foods they can die from it, but it involves anything from painful skin hives and sneezing to death, with most of them trending towards the less severe part of that.

Are you saying that over 95% of people can't have a miserable time or what?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Powercrazy posted:

you will never be "tricked" into drinking something WAY stronger than you are expecting

You've clearly never had purple jesus.

How many times have you eaten a 2nd brownie waiting for the first one?

Install Windows posted:

Yes I do! Among school-age children for example, the CDC estimates that 6% of them have medically relevant allergies to foods http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/foodallergies/

Are you saying that over 95% of people can't have a miserable time or what?

Are you saying that a possible miserable time is that relevant? Anything in reality can cause someone a miserable time.
If you want to talk the %, then think about the % that smoke weed or want to smoke in this country. Then narrow that down to people who have no experience with weed. Then narrow that down even further to people who want to buy an edible for their first time. Then narrow that down to people that have a bad time.

Jeffrey posted:

What percentage of allergies do you think are fatal? I'd guess <1% but I don't know.

I have no idea either, more fatal than weed though!

"The number of people admitted to hospital with life-threatening anaphylactic shock – involving sudden swelling, breathlessness and low blood pressure – has increased by at least 700 per cent in the last two decades."
"Anaphylaxis causes about 20 deaths a year in otherwise healthy people from heart attacks or suffocation caused by the swelling of tissues in the mouth and throat."

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 22, 2014

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

goodness posted:

You've clearly never had purple jesus.

How many times have you eaten a 2nd brownie waiting for the first one?
Not often because I just stay away from edibles.

What's purple jesus? Oh it just looks like the typical sweet alcoholic mixed drink which if you knew the type of alcohol and the amounts put into, would 100% inform you of how drunk you'd get from it. That is a different type of tricking then I'm talking about.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Do infused sodas and drinks take effect any faster than solid edibles? If the problem is novices unable to dose themselves properly due to the delay, dispensaries should market those instead of candies or pastries.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

Are you saying that a possible miserable time is that relevant? Anything in reality can cause someone a miserable time.

It's relevant for deciding what to allow places to sell outside of medical stuff, yeah. It's not like people are asking to ban the creation of edibles for people to use, after all.

We don't let stores sell tobacco bread, after all.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Powercrazy posted:

Not often because I just stay away from edibles.

What's purple jesus? Oh it just looks like the typical sweet alcoholic mixed drink which if you knew the type of alcohol and the amounts put into, would 100% inform you of how drunk you'd get from it. That is a different type of tricking then I'm talking about.

Yeah, purple jesus (PJ), jungle juice, hunch punch, etc. Good stuff but drat it will sneak up on you for sure. And then smash you in the face.

Install Windows posted:

It's relevant for deciding what to allow places to sell outside of medical stuff, yeah. It's not like people are asking to ban the creation of edibles for people to use, after all.

Edibles are medical stuff for some people though. So yes, they need more regulation and the store employees need to do a better job of educating people (which they are probably doing an amazing job since there have not been more incidents).

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 22, 2014

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Elotana posted:

Do infused sodas and drinks take effect any faster than solid edibles? If the problem is novices unable to dose themselves properly due to the delay, dispensaries should market those instead of candies or pastries.

Are those common? I was under the impression that since THC is fat-soluble it's difficult to mix it smoothly into things that don't contain a significant fat portion.

Edit: I mean, you could do a smoothie with some ice cream or something but a soda would require using BVO or some similar chemical wizardry I think.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

Edibles are medical stuff for some people though. So yes, they need more regulation and the store employees need to do a better job of educating people (which they are probably doing an amazing job since there have not been more incidents).

So is erythromycin. This doesn't mean you can just pick up a bottle of erythromycin off the shelf at a grocery store.

Availability of a product as an actual medical thing doesn't mean allowing the same sort of stuff outside the framework.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Install Windows posted:

So is erythromycin. This doesn't mean you can just pick up a bottle of erythromycin off the shelf at a grocery store.

Availability of a product as an actual medical thing doesn't mean allowing the same sort of stuff outside the framework.

And you can't just walk in a dispensary and grab a brownie. You have to have a medical license or be 21 in CO (admittedly not hard but they don't just stand outside the shop throwing brownies to kids).

Edibles should be useable for medicinal or recreational patients, just read the freaking label and don't be dumb.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Eletriarnation posted:

Are those common? I was under the impression that since THC is fat-soluble it's difficult to mix it smoothly into things that don't contain a significant fat portion.

Edit: I mean, you could do a smoothie with some ice cream or something but a soda would require using BVO or some similar chemical wizardry I think.

You can do this with glycerol.

I personally think that edibles are going to be a problem for dispensaries both because of the camouflage effect and their potential to cause dosage problems. If I ran a dispensary I wouldn't sell them. People can do the conversion themselves at home without causing a potential legislation issue.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Salt Fish posted:

You can do this with glycerol.

I personally think that edibles are going to be a problem for dispensaries both because of the camouflage effect and their potential to cause dosage problems. If I ran a dispensary I wouldn't sell them. People can do the conversion themselves at home without causing a potential legislation issue.

Cheaper and better to make brownies/baked goods at home.

If only it was easy to make BHO products.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

goodness posted:

And you can't just walk in a dispensary and grab a brownie. You have to have a medical license or be 21 in CO (admittedly not hard but they don't just stand outside the shop throwing brownies to kids).

Edibles should be useable for medicinal or recreational patients, just read the freaking label and don't be dumb.

Reading the label would be good advice if you could trust them. The manufacturers are usually making a dead reckoning guess on dose.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

goodness posted:

Cheaper and better to make brownies/baked goods at home.

If only it was easy to make BHO products.

I'm not sure BHO has the same issues as edibles. It advertises its severity through the mechanics of using it. Anyone heating up a nail or a swing is going to understand on some level that they'd better strap in. A lot of people won't touch BHO because they think using it looks "crack-y".

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Salt Fish posted:

Reading the label would be good advice if you could trust them. The manufacturers are usually making a dead reckoning guess on dose.

What is the trouble with the dosage? Unless they are making it in such large batches that it is not doable, but I was under the impression most of the edibles came from smaller operations.

# of brownies/# of weed

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

goodness posted:

What is the trouble with the dosage? Unless they are making it in such large batches that it is not doable, but I was under the impression most of the edibles came from smaller operations.

# of brownies/# of weed

Per the Denver Post:
http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/03/09/tests-show-thc-content-marijuana-edibles-inconsistent/6421/

quote:

One Dr. J’s milk chocolate Star Barz labeled for 100 milligrams of THC had 0.37 milligrams of the valued psychoactive component

I tried Dr J's cookies and biscotti - did absolutely nothing for me. I've also had a different brand's brownie that made me hallucinate and kept me high until the next morning. It's incredibly inconsistent. I hope the market will sort itself out but it hasn't yet.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Eletriarnation posted:

If you google "THC soda" there are a bunch of brands that I assume are offered in dispensaries. Basically I'm wondering if the slow uptake is simply a matter of fatty acid digestion or if there's something inherently slower about metabolizing ingested cannabinoids compared to ingested alcohol / inhaled cannabinoids.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 22, 2014

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

prom candy posted:

My super liberal family who has past (positive, mainly) experience with marijuana is already talking about how the super strong weed in Colorado is making people "go crazy" and jump off balconies or shoot their spouses.

The spouse-shooting is a thing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

Yes, precisely because of the reasons we were just talking about.

Nah, I don't think it actually should be (the recreational part), given that it's not needed. Again I refer you to the example of tobacco bread - something you could probably make and sell, but due to impracticalities it's not really allowed.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

TheManWithNoName posted:

Per the Denver Post:
http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/03/09/tests-show-thc-content-marijuana-edibles-inconsistent/6421/

I tried Dr J's cookies and biscotti - did absolutely nothing for me. I've also had a different brand's brownie that made me hallucinate and kept me high until the next morning. It's incredibly inconsistent. I hope the market will sort itself out but it hasn't yet.

So it seems the problem is with companies just trying to be as greedy as possible. Making edibles is just better to do yourself, for now at least. How hard is it to gently caress up making brownies with .5 in each.

Install Windows posted:

Yes, precisely because of the reasons we were just talking about.

Nah, I don't think it actually should be (the recreational part), given that it's not needed. Again I refer you to the example of tobacco bread - something you could probably make and sell, but due to impracticalities it's not really allowed.

Wait, you don't think edibles should be legal for recreational use? But you do think weed should be legal?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goodness posted:

Wait, you don't think edibles should be legal for recreational use?

No, I don't think they should be legal to sell, because frankly it's unneeded and it's a lot easier to gently caress up the product.

Companies have kinda shown themselves to be untrustworthy with it.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Edibles should be legal just not sold in stores. A lot of people imagine them as a non-threatening and good for beginners when they're in reality really really intense. There's just too much of a chance of someone having a terrible experience on them and panicking and possibly doing something nutty. It's a legitimate concern.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Install Windows posted:

No, I don't think they should be legal to sell, because frankly it's unneeded and it's a lot easier to gently caress up the product.

Companies have kinda shown themselves to be untrustworthy with it.

That just means the states (ideally the feds, but you know...) need to develop a regulatory system to ensure people are getting what they expect and that labels include decent dosing information.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Telephones posted:

Edibles should be legal just not sold in stores. A lot of people imagine them as a non-threatening and good for beginners when they're in reality really really intense. There's just too much of a chance of someone having a terrible experience on them and panicking and possibly doing something nutty.
This is bad reasoning. Edibles aren't inherently "really really intense", people just (sometimes) make them that way for whatever reason. Even if you think making people avoid intense edibles is a sensible policy goal (I think this is questionable), the correct thing to do would be to establish an acceptable level of intensity, and either forbid them or require substantial labeling over that intensity. Everclear is a fairly dangerous substance, and it has a bunch of labels alerting you to that fact, it seems to work ok. (edit: if we followed this reasoning generally, the existence of a sufficiently intense plant would warrant forbidding the sale of all marijuana, which is dumb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twodot posted:

This is bad reasoning. Edibles aren't inherently "really really intense", people just (sometimes) make them that way for whatever reason. Even if you think making people avoid intense edibles is a sensible policy goal (I think this is questionable), the correct thing to do would be to establish an acceptable level of intensity, and either forbid them or require substantial labeling over that intensity. Everclear is a fairly dangerous substance, and it has a bunch of labels alerting you to that fact, it seems to work ok.

Normal Everclear's also illegal in 14 states and not illegal but not salable in a 15th. So yeah, I suppose that's "working ok" for Everclear.

• Locked thread