Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Call me crazy but control doesn't seem to be getting a ton of love in the spoiled cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

morning wood posted:

Call me crazy but control doesn't seem to be getting a ton of love in the spoiled cards.

Queue up a bunch of incoming "good gently caress control!!!" posts and then wait six months for everyone to get sick of midrange in an incredibly lazy ripoff of what happened last rotation with Mono Black Control and people who were "glad that we could finally dial back the ridiculous mana bases of Standard."

Whoever is writing the script for MTG players is just reusing the same plot every season, totally dialing it in.

edit: It's actually really hard to evaluate exactly how good the control cards are in the block until we see the fall set. Control is largely about answers and until you know what cards need to be answered it's really difficult to say. That's also why mono red tends to do really well early on during rotation and why control doesn't do well until the meta establishes itself.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 22, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Control got O-ring 2.0, that's kind of a huge deal. Reprisal kills Desecration Demon, Polukranos, etc. Pull From the Deep likely won't see play, but it gets you back a Verdict and a Revelation, so ???. I dunno man, it's not a LOT but control's got a pretty solid 75 right now so cards have to really go above and beyond to replace any of them. Esper variants might find use in Brain Maggot and Nightmarish End kills Stormbreath Dragon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It isn't a matter of "gently caress control". The fact is, control decks don't need anything else. There are sweepers in 4 different colors. And the azorius shell is going to be good up until it rotates.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

You know what card I want reprinted? Tariff. I never see anyone else use it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What's the verdict on Master of Feasts right now? I should be more willing to give it a shot after the success of Desecration Demon, but giving card advantage to the opponent seems pretty bad. I guess it hits hard in the air and early, but instant removal is strong now, and I give them an extra shot at drawing it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's the verdict on Master of Feasts right now? I should be more willing to give it a shot after the success of Desecration Demon, but giving card advantage to the opponent seems pretty bad. I guess it hits hard in the air and early, but instant removal is strong now, and I give them an extra shot at drawing it.

I want to fit it into my Mono-B Aggro deck, but it's a rough sell... I am not sure what I would get rid of, if I drop some one drops for it or not ...

I don't think it's a 4 of, but I am not sure, either.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Random question: Do transformed cards count as any sort of color? I never played during Innistrad, so I was wondering if Withengar Unbound was black with regards to intimidate and EDH deckbuilding.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

AlternateNu posted:

Random question: Do transformed cards count as any sort of color? I never played during Innistrad, so I was wondering if Withengar Unbound was black with regards to intimidate and EDH deckbuilding.

These little circles are color indicators. Withegar is black.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Have you ever wondered how slow a deck can win at Three-Card Magic? Well now you can find out. Make sure to read part 3 for a 36-card deck that wins in about 2^(20*2^204)) turns!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elysiume posted:

These little circles are color indicators. Withegar is black.

I find it to be a shame you can't have Withegar as a general in EDH.

It's just Elbrus, and then you play it and hit someone and YOUR COMMANDER IS HERE.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Go to Designing for Development, scroll down to "2. Provide a Different Viewpoint", then type "paliano" to reveal everybody's favourite planeswalker.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Applebees posted:

Go to Designing for Development, scroll down to "2. Provide a Different Viewpoint", then type "paliano" to reveal everybody's favourite planeswalker.

I guess it wasn't a lovely photoshop then.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Might have been a lovely shop but based on the real text? It did look pretty awful.

Know what I'd love? They go through this whole thing and then the planeswalker you open up in packs is totally different (whether Duck or not.) That's a Conspiracy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

No, just lovely.

Edit: I'm more down on this card than I should be, I see it doing some real work in Vintage, just not Legacy, which I was really hoping for.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 22, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

The other one's ultimate only applied to creatures, but untapped them and gave them haste.

Also, I just realized this is super wacky with Cauldron Haze.

vOv fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 22, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AlternateNu posted:

It isn't a matter of "gently caress control". The fact is, control decks don't need anything else. There are sweepers in 4 different colors. And the azorius shell is going to be good up until it rotates.

Unless I am forgetting a card there are currently no 4 mana sweepers that survive rotation, unless DoJ comes back in the core set. 6 mana sweepers are only sweepers in the technical sense unless this is the slowest standard of all-time.

Or I guess if there is a control deck that runs Nykthos and a ton of non-land permanents that give devotion and don't want creatures.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Count Bleck posted:

I think it was just a good guess based on the text we already knew.

Paliano seems to be the setting for Conspiracy. This quote was part of the hunt for Dack: “All who set foot in Paliano are pawns in someones play for power.” --Marchesa, the Black Rose

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
So is Dack playable in Legacy? The first two abilities are pretty good, and usually that's all that matters in terms of PWs. I have no idea how anyone could even use that Ultimate.

How many spells does a deck cast on permanents, outside of Standard Heroic, that aren't removal? Am I missing a whole archetype of red/blue spells other than Threaten? I get the flavor, but sticking a really hard to use ability on a card that comes up once in ten games is...lame.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kasonic posted:

So is Dack playable in Legacy? The first two abilities are pretty good, and usually that's all that matters in terms of PWs. I have no idea how anyone could even use that Ultimate.

How many spells does a deck cast on permanents, outside of Standard Heroic, that aren't removal? Am I missing a whole archetype of red/blue spells other than Threaten? I get the flavor, but sticking a really hard to use ability on a card that comes up once in ten games is...lame.

Honestly, perma-control of an artifact is pretty good for 1UR, and I wouldn't worry about Standard considering that nothing from Conspiracy will be legal for it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kasonic posted:

How many spells does a deck cast on permanents, outside of Standard Heroic, that aren't removal? I am missing a whole archetype of red/blue spells other than Threaten? I get the flavor, but that is the Johnniest ability ever.

He's basically not. His -2 is relevant against all of 5 decks: Tezzerator, which hey could be marginal, BUG, where the only things you're jacking are value creatures, Stoneblade, which is definitely a legitimate use, MUD where again, it's legitimate, and Affinity, which probably won't care. 3 of those decks see slight play at best.

So it basically comes down to his +1, which is really good, but probably not worth the card if that's all it will do.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Kasonic posted:

They could have a creature that's too big to bolt, in which case you just steal it instead. I don't imagine that coming up a lot, though.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

They could have a creature that's too big to bolt, in which case you just steal it instead. I don't imagine that coming up a lot, though.

It also makes Path and Plowshares better.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

rabidsquid posted:

Unless I am forgetting a card there are currently no 4 mana sweepers that survive rotation, unless DoJ comes back in the core set. 6 mana sweepers are only sweepers in the technical sense unless this is the slowest standard of all-time.

Or I guess if there is a control deck that runs Nykthos and a ton of non-land permanents that give devotion and don't want creatures.

There is going to be one in M15 almost guaranteed.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

vOv posted:

Have you ever wondered how slow a deck can win at Three-Card Magic? Well now you can find out. Make sure to read part 3 for a 36-card deck that wins in about 2^(20*2^204)) turns!

This is neat and all, but from now on whenever I wonder to myself if I spend too much time thinking about Magic, I'll remember this guy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Fack Daydo looks like fun in a set made to be drafted, I guess.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

vOv posted:

One thing that's been a bit of an interesting competition among my friends is the challenge to find the slowest 7 card deck. It's honestly a fun challenge and is worth a try.

Rules:
You don't lose for drawing from an empty deck
Your deck's speed is measured by its fastest possible win against the goldfish.
Your deck must be at most seven cards.

Some creative (though not exactly optimal) examples:

386 turns

15844 turns.

the 5 card deck in that article is slower than both of these, and the slowest deck is orders of magnitude slower, but this is a good place to start.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I really wish Drink Faygo was U/B so I could slot him seamlessly into my thievery EDH deck

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Of note: Dank Fagin is set #42/210... interesting number for a gold card (which usually appears at the end of the set's numbering), unless there's only 40 mono-colored cards in the set, this is gonna be interesting.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Numbering may be weird in this set, other card numbers known did not line up with where you would think they would go.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

TheKingofSprings posted:

He's basically not. His -2 is relevant against all of 5 decks: Tezzerator, which hey could be marginal, BUG, where the only things you're jacking are value creatures, Stoneblade, which is definitely a legitimate use, MUD where again, it's legitimate, and Affinity, which probably won't care. 3 of those decks see slight play at best.

So it basically comes down to his +1, which is really good, but probably not worth the card if that's all it will do.

Perma-steal a Batterskull or Jitte is huge game. Even just having him down makes dropping either a no win situation. Even just having him in your list makes playing either dicey.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

I really wish Drink Faygo was U/B so I could slot him seamlessly into my thievery EDH deck

Thank you for reminding me about my Grixis thievery EDH deck, I guess I shouldn't take that one apart just yet.

Count Bleck posted:

I find it to be a shame you can't have Withegar as a general in EDH.

It's just Elbrus, and then you play it and hit someone and YOUR COMMANDER IS HERE.

I really wanted to put Elbrus/Withengar in my Sisay EDH deck when I first drafting it but alas.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Tharizdun posted:

Of note: Dank Fagin is set #42/210... interesting number for a gold card (which usually appears at the end of the set's numbering), unless there's only 40 mono-colored cards in the set, this is gonna be interesting.

Feck Doormat must have stolen another card's spot!

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

meanolmrcloud posted:

Perma-steal a Batterskull or Jitte is huge game. Even just having him down makes dropping either a no win situation. Even just having him in your list makes playing either dicey.

Jitte, sure, but I don't think Dave Foley is very good against Batterskull. Even aside from the ability to just take it back into their hand in response, your opponent will still control the Germ token until you pay five mana to equip the 'skull to your own guy.

I don't think he's awful by any means but Stoneforging in something on the end step and just murdering Duck Dodgers with it before his next turn seems like something that'd happen a lot.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
I think Dack's really good, honestly. His +1 is pretty sick for three mana, and while stealing artifacts is a pretty niche effect, it's not like it'd never come up. He'll be a meta call for a given event, not an all star like Jace TMS.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Alaan posted:

Numbering may be weird in this set, other card numbers known did not line up with where you would think they would go.

New cards are first so he is really 42/65 instead of 42/210.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's kind of funny that Vanquish the Foul and Reprisal are in the same draft environment.
This is the first Dack Fakename variation I've laughed at in a while.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Carry Away is a card that exists and sees no play.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Mr. Peepers posted:

Yeah, but Dirk is a bit more versatile than Carry Away, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Mr. Peepers posted:

This card has more value beyond just stealing the artifact (not to mention it hits all artifacts).

• Locked thread