Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It will have to do for the moment.

I assume those are Indonesian waters he is sailing into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
This thread has become a cascading torrent of horrible news.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Amethyst posted:

This thread has become a cascading torrent of horrible news.

Become?

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
I need a break from all this depressing poo poo I can't handle it. My pay hasn't come in so I can't even drink myself to death.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Existence is a cascading torrent of horrible news, hth.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

i got banned posted:

I need a break from all this depressing poo poo I can't handle it. My pay hasn't come in so I can't even drink myself to death.

Join one of the roleplaying games, I think Cartoon still has some spots for old-school D&D. It can't be more depressing, anyway.

Alternatively: watch JoJos.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
http://westerncivilisation2014.ipa.org.au/

I've already got my ticket, have you?

Fat_Kiwi
Jun 30, 2007

The Guardian posted:

Unexploded wartime bomb found in Nauru detention centre

An artillery shell has been discovered in an area that is used to house children, pregnant women and families

Oliver Laughland
theguardian.com, Tuesday 22 April 2014 11.48 AEST

An unexploded bomb has been found in the offshore processing centre on Nauru that detains children, pregnant women and families, raising serious questions about whether the site is safe to hold asylum seekers.

Internal emails from Nauru, obtained exclusively by Guardian Australia, reveal that after heavy rainfall last week an unexploded artillery shell was found next to the “recreation tent”, which serves as a primary school for asylum seeker children. The email states that another shell was found inside a residential area inside the camp where children and families reside, but Guardian Australia understands the second sighting later proved incorrect.

The internal emails say that the chance of the bomb detonating was “very slim”, but also raises concerns that the site was not properly assessed for unexploded ordnance before families and pregnant women were transferred to the site. The bomb was a Howitzer artillery shell from the second world war.

“No one has been able to give assurances the area OPC3 is located on was adequately checked for UXOs [unexploded ordnance],” the email says.

The shell was found on 15 April and were eventually removed from the site after an exclusion zone was set up.

The email continues: “In the case of Nauru, the physical risks are compounded by the potential trauma of people who are fleeing war torn countries, to now find explosives are being uncovered in the grounds of the refugee camp they’ve been involuntarily sent to.”

The discovery of the bomb at the family camp has subsequently been confirmed by a number of sources and Guardian Australia understands that unexploded bombs have been found before in detention centres on Nauru.

The risks of unexploded ordnance on Nauru, which was occupied by Japanese troops during the war, are well documented. In 2010 the Australian Department of Defence sent a detachment of troops to the Pacific island state to assist with a program to locate unexploded bombs as part of “Operation Render Safe”, an ADF mission to assist pacific nations with the threat of UXOs.

“Unexploded ordnance is a troublesome legacy of the second world war and has been an ongoing problem for the island nations of the south-west Pacific,” Lieutenant General Evans of the ADF said at the time.

Unexploded ordnance is also a significant risk at the offshore processing centre on Manus. A leaked planning report for the second detention centre on Manus, now under construction, determined there were serious risk of unexploded ordnance at the site, but was unable to comprehensively document the risks.

There are now 179 children detained on Nauru, the majority in OPC3, and 313 women.

The minister for immigration has been contacted for a response.

More good news for the pile.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

NWS that poo poo.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/musicnews/s3989709.htm

N-no! No!!

gently caress this world.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

THE Roger Scruton?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_Desire_(book)

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
See, even she's sick of this country.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

This is all you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmCJEehYtU

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Thankfully they have already scheduled in the alcohol induced memory purge at 5pm

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Fat_Kiwi posted:

Morrison must be kicking himself that someone else found out about it before he could get it set off.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I feel slightly better now about being immature and reading it as Roger Scrotum.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Everything that's wrong with this country, in one building. Think of it as an opportunity.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Mattjpwns posted:

I remember the good times where we could post Bugs Bunny gifs of states being removed from Australia when they did stupid poo poo and not feel too bad because - hey - at least it's not the WHOLE loving COUNTRY am I right?

... now we need one where Australia get sawed off of earth and spirals into the sun.

It's around somewhere. Check the OPs of some of the old threads.

Fat_Kiwi posted:

Holy poo poo. It'd be ironic if it was from Australian military activities during to war.

Fight Them On The Beaches oval office Glasser(tm).

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

My friend who works for Medicare Local say they have a 3 year contract - even still they are under review. So who knows?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Amoeba102 posted:

My friend who works for Medicare Local say they have a 3 year contract - even still they are under review. So who knows?

Probably doesn't matter. Governments seem pretty happy to slash funding from one department and pay for everything via discretionary spending allowances.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Also, I think the last time the bugs gifs were in an OP was back in October or September.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Clive is on news 24 giving Tony a heart attack.

Haha comparing direct action to Sydney water.

sausage eyes
Nov 28, 2007

Truly the Abbott government is comparable to the horrors of Nazi Germany - auspol poster Sausage Eyes, 2015, in between hits of the crack pipe.

:australia:

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Clive is on news 24 giving Tony a heart attack.

Haha comparing direct action to Sydney water.

This is goddamn amazing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It will have to do for the moment.

Big Steveo
Apr 5, 2007

by astral

Mad Katter posted:

Meanwhile in Adelaide, a millionaire property developer claims that the City Council's plan to build a bike lane is discrimination against drivers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-22/plan-to-pump-cyclists-into-adelaide/5403094?section=sa

I just heard the same story... on talkback radio in GTA 5

Big Steveo fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 22, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I think your friend Amoeba102 and I are hosed. We have known about the review for a while. It shits me to tears, not only because of losing my job, but because I really believe that with some minor changes the whole local medical area idea would work

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0422-zqxuu.html

quote:

Staff at the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet have spent more than 130 pages talking about a web plug-in that replaces pictures of Tony Abbott with ‘‘cute kittens’’.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

sausage eyes posted:

This is goddamn amazing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-22/palmer-suggests-he-wont-back-direct-action-policy/5402712

You guys weren't kidding...

The Greg Hunt interview defies all comprehension.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Isn't someone in this thread responsible for that? If so, bravo, you've derailed the forces of evil briefly.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

TheHeadSage posted:

Isn't someone in this thread responsible for that? If so, bravo, you've derailed the forces of evil briefly.

Nolan joined briefly but I haven't seen him in a while.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/bill-shorten-to-sever-alp-links-to-unions/story-fncynjr2-1226891626740

ALP is completely dead.

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain
Could there, hypothetically, be a good reason as to why the Department of Prime Minister is paying that any attention at all?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tokamak posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-22/palmer-suggests-he-wont-back-direct-action-policy/5402712

You guys weren't kidding...

The Greg Hunt interview defies all comprehension.

quote:

Federal MP Clive Palmer says he is willing to vote against budget bills to block the Federal Government's Direct Action climate change policy.

However, Labor says it will not support him, ruling out the possibility of it triggering a double dissolution election.

Jesus loving wept.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Here's some good news. A few days ago they discovered a way to make solar cells into batteries, so when the Americans mass-market it to us we can all have a big sigh of relief that we didn't spend all that silly money on climate change!

edit: Sandpit by David Blumenstein

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 22, 2014

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Roger's Crouton.

But holy poo poo look at this garbage.

A complete idiot posted:

Scruton bases a conservative sexual ethic on the Hegelian proposition that "the final end of every rational being is the building of the self - of a recognisable personal entity, which flourishes according to its own autonomnous nature." This process involves recognizing the other as an end in itself. Scruton argues that the major feature of perversion is "sexual release that avoids or abolishes the other," which he sees as narcissistic and often solipsistic. His list of perversions includes masturbation, bestiality, necrophilia, pedophilia, sado-masochism, homosexuality, incest, and fetishism. Scruton considers homosexuality a perversion because it does not involve sexual difference: desire directed towards the other gender elicits its complement, but desire directed toward the same gender elicits its simulacrum. In his view, normal sexuality involves not only giving recognition to the other's person in and through desire for him or her, but also according them accountability and care in the process. Scruton criticizes psychoanalytic perspectives on sexuality.

So conservative that he's gone all the way back to 18th century metaphysical bullshit.

Samuel Clarke posted:

Clarke's ethical theory of "fitness" is formulated on the analogy of mathematics. He held that in relation to the will things possess an objective fitness similar to the mutual consistency of things in the physical universe. This fitness God has given to actions, as he has given laws to Nature; and the fitness is as immutable as the laws. The theory was criticized by Théodore Simon Jouffroy, Amédée Jacques, Sir James Mackintosh, Thomas Brown and others.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Except he's replaced phrenology with coprology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Is there a kickstarter for the fees yet?

• Locked thread