Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

I kind of like that aspect of unit movement. Instead of chasing an enemy army around the countryside you're forced to think more strategically. Blocking enemy advances, funneling them into specific areas to keep them on the defensive while you wait for more men, or breaking them up for a divide and conquer. It's actually one of my favorite parts of the game once I get a large kingdom with several units to look after.

That's usually what I try to do, but sometimes the terrain just doesn't work out like that and I end up chasing them in circles for ages before finally catching up to them. It's not like being able to automate it would take away from strategic placement - by following them you're essentially giving up control over the battlefield terrain so odds are you'll end up attacking them in hills or crossing a river or something. I just want to be able to stomp out armies where the modifiers end up not mattering without having to micromanage my troops all the time :argh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero.
Apr 21, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That's usually what I try to do, but sometimes the terrain just doesn't work out like that and I end up chasing them in circles for ages before finally catching up to them.

I know that feeling. Sometimes its just really really frustrating especially when you are the attacker and have to grind up all the % you are loosing right now.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Odobenidae posted:

Has anybody else encountered this weird bug I've been getting?

I've been independent from the game start, but ~50 or so years ago I saw that I was unable to create the kingdom of Scotland because it was the same level as my liege's. I've also got ambitions to become a councillor, which are impossible since i'm independent. It went away on its own before, but now the Pope has called a crusade and I can't join, presumably because my non-existent liege has to join it himself.

I think that's related to titular revolt titles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey, so if there's this guy I want to win in a war, but cant directly support, can I just throw enough money at him and he'll hire mercenaries on his own?

edit:HURRY UP AND FAKE THIS CLAIM YOU WORTHLESS CHANCELLOR!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 22, 2014

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Thanks for the raiding tips all. Followup question - since forming the Kingdom, I have basically all my vassals forming an Independence faction. They all have fairly high opinion scores, and obligating them with my spymaster doesn't seem to be stopping anyone's membership. Is there some Norse twist to this? I got a popup saying that they were all meeting to discuss it, but that they "seemed happy."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Hey, so if there's this guy I want to win in a war, but cant directly support, can I just throw enough money at him and he'll hire mercenaries on his own?

edit:HURRY UP AND FAKE THIS CLAIM YOU WORTHLESS CHANCELLOR!

Yeah, he can and probably will if he deems that he needs them, but there's no guaruntee that he will, as usual.

EDIT: And I feel your pain about useless chancellors (chaplains, too). It really does make me like EU4's system for that sort of thing better.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sadly my king's son was a 24 diplomacy ubergenius, but got murdered while hoovering up all the claims in western france. He was so drat good at it the job cooldown time wasnt even up yet before he'd delivered the claims to me.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

I loaded up a quick game and checked to see if The Wall consists of churches like a previous poster said, but no dice. All County Castles across the board.

At this point I'm leaning toward a bug was well. In the absolute least I had three Counties and a Kingdom title when I handed Thenn to my heir. There's just no reason I can think of as to why that wouldn't be enough to continue playing.

Also, is there ever a chance of Daenerys getting married or having kids during her travels? I haven't had a single game where she didn't die long before she ever even considered heading toward the Iron Throne. And then her bloodline dies and her kingdom crumbles. I'd like to be able to defend my lands from her descendants someday during a game.

Last game I played Dany remarried a Meerenese noble ... then somehow Viserion killed her husband in battle and her kid died immediately after birth.

She's re-married to some other noble who I'm sure will die soon.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Eventually I just went through the save file manually and stripped it out. Search for religious_unrest and remove the entire enclosing modifier= { } block. Remember to back the save up first.

There were twenty or thirty instances in mine, so it might take a while.

I'm trying to do this for my save. I figured out that to save it as uncompressed you have to have the box on the save dialog that is unmarked unchecked as well as in the options in the menu (I just had it unchecked in the menu options). Anyhow, I opened up my save and did this, but now when I try to load the edited save file there are no characters to select in the save on the map. Like, everything is gone. All I did was remove all the stuff that looked like this:

code:
	modifier=
			{
				modifier="religious_unrest"
				date="954.8.9"
				inherit=no
				hidden=no
			}
EDIT: Well, that's strange. I guess I may have screwed up and deleted something I shouldn't have 5 TIMES IN A ROW. The 6th time I tried doing this it works. :/

pwnyXpress fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 22, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there any better way to check a realm's troop strength other than clicking through to the realm tree every time?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Is there any better way to check a realm's troop strength other than clicking through to the realm tree every time?

If you open the Ledger (tiny button under the mini-map in the bottom right) there's a page labelled Independent States, on the far right of that will be the number of troops any realm can raise at the time. It's pretty useful when you're comparing multiple realms.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 22, 2014

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
How do you fix the titular revolt bug? I don't have any autosaves or saves before I'd earned that title. It passed down to my heir so he's just as gimped!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

What Fun posted:

Thanks for the raiding tips all. Followup question - since forming the Kingdom, I have basically all my vassals forming an Independence faction. They all have fairly high opinion scores, and obligating them with my spymaster doesn't seem to be stopping anyone's membership. Is there some Norse twist to this? I got a popup saying that they were all meeting to discuss it, but that they "seemed happy."

Are you running mods with Project Balance included? That sounds like the PB faction system. I think vassals join up with various groups like "autonomy" or "independence" and don't actually fire anything unless they are pissed off. I remember getting a lot of demands for money.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

theDOWmustflow posted:

How do you fix the titular revolt bug? I don't have any autosaves or saves before I'd earned that title. It passed down to my heir so he's just as gimped!

My guess would be to give it to another character through the console. Something like "give_title k_kingdom_revolt 164537" where 164537 would be the character ID of some random count on the other side of the map. If you want to try it yourself, use this.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This reminds me of something I meant to ask; is there a way to order a unit to automatically follow an enemy until they catch them, or do you always have play the game of "I ordered my troops to go to county X, so he shifts his destination to county Y. I change to county Y to follow him and he changes back to county X."

Because if there isn't a command for that there really should be.

Why can't we have an EUIV type thing where you can tell an army to auto hunt rebel stacks and it will actively avoid enemy realm armies while it's at it. Even in the bloodiest of civil wars whilst simultaneously having the Mongols invade, rebellions are a minor inconvenience for me at best and often just devolve into a game of whack a mole.

I mean we can already toggle raid mode as Vikings why not a togglesble rebel hunt mode?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CommonTerry posted:

That's a problem with anti-raid AI being poo poo, and weaker targets not being able to rely on allies.

Also, stop linking this LP human being.

Arumba is good, I give permission for people to link him.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I just lost a major war because the CPU, unlike the player, can stick a loving band of mercenaries in whatever province they want, and reinforced their battle with 10,000 men out of goddamn nowhere.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I don't think the AI can place mercs any more than the player can. Even if they could, they spawn at 0 morale and wouldn't be much help appearing directly into a battle.

Does anyone have any saves showing weird stuff happening with temp titles? It's a lot easier to get stuff fixed if I can provide a save just before the weirdness happens and say "See this? Make it not happen", and my temp titles have all been uninteresting affairs so far.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is it useful to deliberately seed a merchant republic or two as vassals in your kingdom? I feel like it would be if you can keep them from hating you enough that they rebel for the sweet, sweet feudal tax thanks to how drat much money those guys can keep making GBS threads out.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is it useful to deliberately seed a merchant republic or two as vassals in your kingdom? I feel like it would be if you can keep them from hating you enough that they rebel for the sweet, sweet feudal tax thanks to how drat much money those guys can keep making GBS threads out.

Republics pay town taxes and Prince-bishops pay church taxes, so they're useful if you don't want to raise feudal taxes too much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nothing spells awkward like murdering your way through a family while marrying the survivors matrilinially into your own like a conspirator spilling the beans. Ooops.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

I just lost a major war because the CPU, unlike the player, can stick a loving band of mercenaries in whatever province they want, and reinforced their battle with 10,000 men out of goddamn nowhere.

You think mercs are bad try watching the seljuks move their armies into place on your land then war deccing, it's terrifying especially when it was the first horde I'd faced so I was thinking "whoever that 100000 troops is going for is in for a nasty surprise" just for it to be me.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

They came out of the fog of war. I've played this game for 600 hours and I've never seen the AI get magic mercs from nowhere. Keep an eye on your enemies' finances/levies next time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They came out of the fog of war. I've played this game for 600 hours and I've never seen the AI get magic mercs from nowhere. Keep an eye on your enemies' finances/levies next time.

I don't know about that, but I'm getting a little tired of heresies dumping a full morale army in my capital county right after I hire a merc company.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no, bad dog!

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Oh no, bad dog!

Isn't there an option that appears if you have a high enough stat where you can tell which bone is the genuine one?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
There should be two other options, but one is definitely Learning based.

The best event is when you misplace the relic as an imbecile :downs:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 22, 2014

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Anyone know enough about the esoteric battle system to recommend a good method of dealing with Heavy Cavalry? Pretty much the entirety of my arch-nemesis's (who already outnumbers me between 3-5 to 1) army is comprised of Heavy Cavalry.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Anyone know enough about the esoteric battle system to recommend a good method of dealing with Heavy Cavalry? Pretty much the entirety of my arch-nemesis's (who already outnumbers me between 3-5 to 1) army is comprised of Heavy Cavalry.

Horse Archers retinues :v: or if you can afford it, pause and stab their commanders as soon as the battle starts.

otherwise it depends on your culture, allies, generals, ect.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SynthOrange posted:

Nothing spells awkward like murdering your way through a family while marrying the survivors matrilinially into your own like a conspirator spilling the beans. Ooops.

My favorite was murdering all my wife's brothers so she'd inherit France and then discovering she was also murdering them :3:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Christ, I don't know. I consider it really gamey to swear fealty to my enemy and try to disrupt him from within, but this is ridiculous. I've fought 3 wars and had to white peace out of two and surrender to a third. I've tried attacking with Byzantium on my side. I've tried attacking with the Golden Horde on my side. I've tried blitzkrieging the territories I want (which is where the phantom 10,000 troops appeared on top of me.) I'm stumped. This empire is too stable and too powerful to deal with.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hide and cry? Heavy Cav ain't nothing to gently caress with.

Basically it'd be a real good idea to find some way to deal with him without fighting him at full strength. Like making an imbecile inherit the throne or something.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

Theoretically, a pike-heavy army will have you favoring the best counter-tactics to a Heavy Cav charge. How that works in practice, I dunno, I've never used pikes much.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StashAugustine posted:

My favorite was murdering all my wife's brothers so she'd inherit France and then discovering she was also murdering them :3:

The family that stabs together stays together.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rynoto posted:

There should be two other options, but one is definitely Learning based.

The best event is when you misplace the relic as an imbecile :downs:

Wait what ? Two full games owning a relic and never once I got a single event for it except the one to acquire it and the "take it out to bless the land, farmers happy" once every 10 years or so.

I love this game, but sometimes it feels you see some events all the loving time, while others don't come up even with two full, 25 hour each, playthroughs... I'd love to see more varied events, knowing that they are there and just don't happen irks me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yes, absolutely. They pay huge amounts of money, so put City Taxes at max and City Levies at minimum to extract as many ducats as possible. I like to have as many as possible scattered about, ideally a bunch of sea zones away from each other. You can give them junk land too, because most of their money comes from their capital. Mallorca is a great one for instance, because it's a crappy duchy but has access to the entire Med for trade posts.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TorakFade posted:

Wait what ? Two full games owning a relic and never once I got a single event for it except the one to acquire it and the "take it out to bless the land, farmers happy" once every 10 years or so.

I love this game, but sometimes it feels you see some events all the loving time, while others don't come up even with two full, 25 hour each, playthroughs... I'd love to see more varied events, knowing that they are there and just don't happen irks me.

Yeah you are at the mercy of the random number generator. I've played this game for a crazy amount of hours and I've still never played as a possessed character, or had the demon child.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

cock hero flux posted:

Hide and cry? Heavy Cav ain't nothing to gently caress with.

Basically it'd be a real good idea to find some way to deal with him without fighting him at full strength. Like making an imbecile inherit the throne or something.

This was War 2. Everyone rallied behind the imbecile (OK, he was "Slow". But he had a stats total of 10.), but the numbers were only so-so on his side. Then he died of an illness partway through the war and things got much dicier.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Oh, uhm. OK, Alfonso. You just...do your thing there. You know, whatever's your flavor and that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

This was War 2. Everyone rallied behind the imbecile (OK, he was "Slow". But he had a stats total of 10.), but the numbers were only so-so on his side. Then he died of an illness partway through the war and things got much dicier.

The stats don't matter as much as absolutely everyone having a huge opinion malus against Imbeciles.

• Locked thread