Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Holy poo poo is there such a thing as a NON-touch screen laptop that I can put Windows 7 on anymore? I don't want another goddamn tablet, that's what my Ipad Air is for. I want a portable PC that I can do my school work on and occasionally play Day of the Tentacle on. Is this too much to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
You might consider a Macbook Air. For most stuff MacOS is great, and if there is anything that requires Windows you can either dual boot or use Parallels or other virtual machine. Nice build quality, great touchpad, crazy battery life (10 hours or so on the latest ones), and no gimmicky touchscreen.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Risky posted:

Holy poo poo is there such a thing as a NON-touch screen laptop that I can put Windows 7 on anymore? I don't want another goddamn tablet, that's what my Ipad Air is for. I want a portable PC that I can do my school work on and occasionally play Day of the Tentacle on. Is this too much to ask?

Yeah. Look at business portables like Thinkpads or Latitudes.

Risky
May 18, 2003

shrughes posted:

Yeah. Look at business portables like Thinkpads or Latitudes.

I'm trying to find something that is:

13" Screen
Upgradable SSD
Small form factor like an Ultrabook

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Dell does offer the XPS13 in non-touch. Don't know how upgradeable the HD is though.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

Risky posted:

I'm trying to find something that is:

13" Screen
Upgradable SSD
Small form factor like an Ultrabook

T440s non-touch, yes its 14" but its barely bigger than 13.3

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I just picked up Toshiba's 13in Chromebook today as a 2nd computer/couch warrior. Same specs as the cheap Acer model, just a larger screen and 2 USB3.0 ports.

I actually like the plastic dimpled body -it's easy to hold. The screen is decent enough. My other laptop has a 1366 display as well, but it's a 15.6in model that I've been putting up with for 4 years, so the resolution looks just fine on the Toshiba's much smaller screen. The two down facing speakers work good if you're in a room with little to no ambient noise.

I'm not used to the chiclet keyboard yet, it's my first one, but at least the keys don't feel like they're about to fall out. I'm also not crazy about the texture on the touchpad. Coming from my old Ideapads smooth touchpad, the Toshiba's is slightly rough and it seems to impact how smoothly inputs are registered. The 11.6in Acer, while having a much smaller touchpad, might be better in this area.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied for under 300. Battery life looks to be stellar.

P.s. My 2009 Lenovo ideapad still works great, has a first gen i7 and still flies, especially with an SSD. The battery is shot and its heavy, but it's been my most reliable computer. Every computer should have an SSD. If you get one with a spinning disk, put in a SSD.

Edit: I looked at the 14in HP model at Best Buy, but that thing looked grungy as hell. It's a dirt magnet.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 22, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah it's the thermal compound is marked up heavily, but ehhhh, it's $25 extra to not have to deal with that at all.
While the Xotic "copper heatsinks" for $70 or whatever is a complete waste, the thermal paste is actually a pretty decent deal: Yes, it's $25 more than what it would cost to do it yourself, but this way you don't void your warranty or risk breaking anything with your goony hands.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Without more evidence to back it up, I'll admit, the whole thermal paste thing sounds like a giant marketing gimmick.

Any name brand laptop worth your money ought to have excellent to superior thermal engineering that can't see those kinds of results by just tinkering with thermal paste.

If a home user can squeak out 8F cooler temps with a home job, the design seems like it'd be junk. I welcome well documented experiments on name brand laptops like Dell, Lenovo, HP

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 22, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Double post

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I was a victim of the nvidia 8600m gt failure in my Asus G1s, I don't know if different thermal paste would have made a difference, but I probably would have opted for it had I known the chip would fry after 18 months.

tech.t.rex
Jul 10, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm gonna bite the bullet on the Asus 550JK soon and I'm wondering if Xotic PC's upgrades actually priced fairly? It seems like they don't mark their ram or hard drives up that much, and I'd be happy to pay an extra $25 to have the laptop come out of the box with some not-poo poo, properly applied thermal paste as well.

Here's my initial impressions.

I opened it, and let it charge while watching a movie on the TV. It's a hefty laptop, no doubt from the glass+metal chassis.

The feel is really, really nice. A million times nicer than the VIAO it's replacing -- the metal chassis is really, really impressive. It's not a mac, and it's obvious -- the build quality isn't quite there (for example, the power button is slightly offset from center...) The speakers are on the bottom of the laptop, I'm guessing to have the sound "bounce off" the table. It's alright I suppose.

The screen is glorious. Since it's a touch panel, the glass+metal back make the lid very rigid - which I really like. The power brick us "slim" meaning it's about half as thick as my other one.

The keyboard feels decent too - it's about the same my other laptop, however the touchpad is very nice. Responsive, smooth, and huge.

Getting into bios is a bitch. Pretty much it involves magic, however holding the power button down when turning it on causes a "blip", then it turns off. Pressing the power button (like normal) to turn it back on will get into a fancy "recovery" menu. From there, goto "advanced", then boot from DVD/USB/etc.

I'm starting ubuntu 14.04 off a dvd right now, so far success. I have a desktop, and it looks like all the drivers loaded. Time to clone OEM windows off, and install something real. By real, I mean linux for serious business, and Windows 7 for gaming. You can't polish a turd, and windows 8 is piece of beautifully crafted workmanship from the blood, sweat and tears of interns.

More anon.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
How come the dell chromebook 11 no longer has a page on dell's site, and isn't available for purchase?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

papa horny michael posted:

How come the dell chromebook 11 no longer has a page on dell's site, and isn't available for purchase?

It appears it's only in the For Education section (despite the link being in /business/ ):
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/chromebook-11/pd

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Woo finally ordered my Sager 8268-S. Pretty excited. Xoticpc is taking a bit though.

I ordered the stock/OEM/cheapest screen and got this email

"We are very sorry – we have just received word that the following item is no longer available:

Display: 15.6" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Anti-Glare Sager Screen w/ 95% NTSC Color Gamut (1920x1080) (SKU - SSC006)

This item is no longer available from the manufacturer.

Please reply back to to let us know if you are ok with the stock display. Because of the screen change, you will get $20 refund to compensate for it."

I didn't even know there was any difference. Either way just want to get this drat laptop! Got a Samsung EVO mSATA. Originally ordered a SATA. Lesson learned. Price difference sucks :/

Reviews for it seem good so far

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think that means you'll get a TN panel rather than IPS

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/P50/P50T-BST2N01

Brand new and looks awesome and has all the features I'm looking for besides the battery life sucking.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Rauros posted:

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/P50/P50T-BST2N01

Brand new and looks awesome and has all the features I'm looking for besides the battery life sucking.

See if you can have a play with one in person before committing - I haven't used a modern Toshiba that had a decent keyboard (even the expensive ones have really short travel and flex alarmingly)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SouthLAnd posted:

I just picked up Toshiba's 13in Chromebook today as a 2nd computer/couch warrior. Same specs as the cheap Acer model, just a larger screen and 2 USB3.0 ports.

Funny, I just got one two days ago and have been looking for impressions. For how little faith I have in Toshiba for anything less than $500, this thing astounds me.

quote:

I actually like the plastic dimpled body -it's easy to hold. The screen is decent enough. My other laptop has a 1366 display as well, but it's a 15.6in model that I've been putting up with for 4 years, so the resolution looks just fine on the Toshiba's much smaller screen. The two down facing speakers work good if you're in a room with little to no ambient noise.

The speakers blow the typical budget Toshiba out of the water. Compared to the Acer C710 they're LOUD, too.

quote:

Coming from my old Ideapads smooth touchpad, the Toshiba's is slightly rough and it seems to impact how smoothly inputs are registered. The 11.6in Acer, while having a much smaller touchpad, might be better in this area.

The touchpad hasn't bothered me between general usage and Linux gaming, but I agree the Acer has a better one.

quote:

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied for under 300. Battery life looks to be stellar.

Spent less than $150 on mine and I'm in love, like you said the battery lasts forever.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hadlock posted:

Any name brand laptop worth your money ought to have excellent to superior thermal engineering that can't see those kinds of results by just tinkering with thermal paste.
You'd also think that name brand $500+ video cards would have excellent to superior thermal engineering (or at least not cheap out on something as simple as thermal paste), yet there are countless examples of high-end video cards where the manufacturer just slathered far too much cheap gunk on it, leaving enterprising individuals with little regard for their warranty an easy way to drop the temps.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The speakers blow the typical budget Toshiba out of the water. Compared to the Acer C710 they're LOUD, too.

The touchpad hasn't bothered me between general usage and Linux gaming, but I agree the Acer has a better one.

I just installed the Chrome Audio Eq and have been more than satisfied with the headphone quality. Also, I'm typing and using the touchpad amazingly well after 6 or 7 hours of use.

I might need to install Ubuntu onto this thing and play a little minecraft at work.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I need some advice since I haven't found anything that really stood out to me so far. I'm looking for the following:

11-13 inch screen
Used for web browsing, office, statistical programming (nothing too resource intensive), and occasional gaming
Good battery performance
$700-800ish

I'd get an entry-level Macbook Air but most of the work I do requires Windows and it looks like Macbooks are nearing a refresh, but no one knows quite when that will be this year.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Rosalind posted:

I'd get an entry-level Macbook Air but most of the work I do requires Windows and it looks like Macbooks are nearing a refresh, but no one knows quite when that will be this year.

It's typically summer.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Well, I got ordered the N550JK from Xotic. Their price on RAM/Thermal Paste was fine so I got those but didn't have them upgrade the hard drive as their prices did seem high for that. It'll probably be 2ish weeks until it's actually in my hands, but hey. Thanks for the quick overview T-rex.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So I can't go see the Dell Chromebook 11 in real life anywhere, huh? :(

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
What are my options for chromebooks if I want the following:

Plays 720p movies.
At least 32gb of space to fit said movies (or sd card slot)
Decent battery life
As small and cheap as possible

e: Bonus if it's available amazon.co.uk

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 22, 2014

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

wintermuteCF posted:

It's typically summer.

Some of the leaked stuff shows Q3 apparently. I really need it by the time I start a class in late June but would love it sooner since my current laptop is a piece of crap. Argh. Guess I'll just hold out and see.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Klaus Kinski posted:

What are my options for chromebooks if I want the following:

Plays 720p movies.
Decent battery life

e: Bonus if it's available amazon.co.uk

The Acer C720 or Samsung chromebook. Make sure whichever you get is from this/last year, battery life increased across all models.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I guess that Barnes/Noble Lenovo deal isn't coming back

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mu Zeta posted:

I guess that Barnes/Noble Lenovo deal isn't coming back
I found this link and it seems to work? It doesn't show the promo codes like it used to, but prices are about 10% lower than what lenovo.com shows.
https://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary...le#.ULOYdYex_to
I configured an X240 just like the one I have and it came out to about the same cost as what I paid through the link in the OP.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I found this link and it seems to work? It doesn't show the promo codes like it used to, but prices are about 10% lower than what lenovo.com shows.
https://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary...le#.ULOYdYex_to
I configured an X240 just like the one I have and it came out to about the same cost as what I paid through the link in the OP.

Fixed link: https://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/na/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/Lenovo:EnterStdAffinity?affinity=barnesnoblegold

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Barnes & Noble link can't detect my passwords, even when I reset them repeatedly. No other site on the internet seems so obstinate about my Copy and Pasted, rewritten password being wrong.

Edit: Somehow the session expired while updating my password.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 22, 2014

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I've been looking at getting a new laptop and have been looking at the Dell XPS 13. I notice it only has on board graphics (Intel HD4400), which should be fine as I have a desktop for graphics-intensive gaming. How would the on-board graphics hold up if I wanted to play the odd game though?

I'm also happy for recommendations for similar laptops around the same budget!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The Acer C720 or Samsung chromebook. Make sure whichever you get is from this/last year, battery life increased across all models.

Can the Dell not play 720p? I was really hoping it might be able to handle 1080p MKVs off a SD card... Or were you just referring to his 32gb of space requirement?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

mark-p87 posted:

I've been looking at getting a new laptop and have been looking at the Dell XPS 13. I notice it only has on board graphics (Intel HD4400), which should be fine as I have a desktop for graphics-intensive gaming. How would the on-board graphics hold up if I wanted to play the odd game though?

The 4400 is a bit quicker then the hd 4000, so older titles should be fine (2010) newer stuff needs serious tweaking lowered res and detail to play.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I'm honestly kind of surprised at how good the new Intel integrated graphics solution is. I got my computer about 3 years ago and it has a Radeon HD 5730, which was a mid-range card at the time and is now worse than the 4600.

Edit: Whoops, wrong integrated graphics.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Can the Dell not play 720p? I was really hoping it might be able to handle 1080p MKVs off a SD card... Or were you just referring to his 32gb of space requirement?

I hadn't considered the Dell chromebook, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

quote:

Plays 720p movies.
Decent battery life

They'll all play 720p movies and easily reach 32gb+ with an SD card, so when "as small and cheap" is considered, Acer's $199 or Samsung's $249 sounds great in comparison.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So.

Precision M4800.

Yes, I need it, I'm splitting off to start a CAD/CAM design consulting firm. Most of my work is gonna be in SolidWorks, and I'm getting the model with the M5100 anyways, so :woop:.

Anyone know if Dell has gotten a handle on the crashing/locking/hanging/freezing issues that are currently plaguing the current Precision refresh? I see a lot of unhappy people out there with Quadros and QHD, although unhappy FirePro and FHD aren't unheard of. Does *anyone* have a lead on where Dell is up to on fixing the line?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Nickoten posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised at how good the new Intel integrated graphics solution is. I got my computer about 3 years ago and it has a Radeon HD 5730, which was a mid-range card at the time and is now worse than the 4600.

Seriously, my old Lenovo has a GT240 which is probably no faster than most integrated graphics now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mark-p87 posted:

My Asus R7 has an i5 4200U with 4400 graphics and it can play Saint's Row IV at native resolution at low settings at a high enough framerate, so there's that.

[Edit: Nevermind, I have a bad eye for framrates. FRAPs shows that it gets 15-30fps depending on what's going on. I mean, it's still playable, but it's not ideal, I suppose. There's a slight improvement when you bump it down to 720p, but not that significant of one.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 23, 2014