Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure if you got enough people to genuinely worship that mammet from the Goldmith's Guild and pile up crystals and jump through the hoops you could summon an avatar of it too.

I want Gigi Extreme so bad now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kilometers Davis posted:

For whatever reason I love the hell out of the story/world/history/enemies/all of that in this game. I even read all of the side quest text because it's oddly engaging and I love being immersed in this world. What FF is the closest connected game to this? Is there even one?

RuanGacho posted:

1.0 is really the only prior/related art.

It does, however, share a number of admitted thematic ties with the Ivalice setting, home to FFXII/Tactics (and one or two strong similarities which lead to a bit of :tinfoil:). Gilgamesh is also literally from Final Fantasy V, but he's, uh, hard to explain in a short post. :v:

Basically if you want another FF product with XIV's flavor, XII is likely your best bet.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
FFXI is pretty obviously a big influence in terms of the basic setting, but I wouldn't wish that game upon even my bitterest enemies.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure if you got enough people to genuinely worship that mammet from the Goldmith's Guild and pile up crystals and jump through the hoops you could summon an avatar of it too.

Yeah, I remember it being said that the Ascian Summoning Technique works on basically anything. As long as you believe in the Heart of the Cards enough you could probably actually summon that. It does make me wonder how non-Primals and Primals differ exactly. Even the game doesn't seem to know. Somehow I got the feeling the White Mage siblings were just being racist when they said Moggle Mog wasn't a real Primal.

I wonder how they're going to contrive us to fight Ramuh? According to all sources he's not interested in crusading against people, he just wants to protect his share of the forest and his indoctrinated Sylph followers.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
No one knows what Ramuh is planning, or his interests. Scions see him as a threat, but the Sylphs cannot or will not summon him for whatever reason. Purple sylphs are tempered and are attempting to bring him back.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I wonder how they're going to contrive us to fight Ramuh? According to all sources he's not interested in crusading against people, he just wants to protect his share of the forest and his indoctrinated Sylph followers.

In all fairness, adventurers keep going in there and beating up his followers just so they can ride around on goobbues.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

Line Feed posted:

In all fairness, adventurers keep going in there and beating up his followers just so they can ride around on goobbues.

Well Goobbues are the second-best mount after the Fat Chocobo, so I'm sure he understands.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Doublestep posted:

No one knows what Ramuh is planning, or his interests. Scions see him as a threat, but the Sylphs cannot or will not summon him for whatever reason. Purple sylphs are tempered and are attempting to bring him back.

It's a longshot, but it's always a possibility that we don't fight Ramuh - or at least, have a fight in which he is involved, but the enemy is someone else. There's still a large contingent of Garleans in The Black Shroud, and from what we know he's smart enough to put 2 and 2 together and figure out what actually needs to be done to protect the Sylph.

That or he just nukes the purple ones and goes back to sleep.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The Ramuh fight is a minigame where you have to dodge lightning bolts 200 times in a row to upgrade your Animus relic.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Just give me a drat Gunblade already.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doublestep posted:

I thought he was summoned, he was just not doing anything outside the Sylphlands? Just Tempering Sylphs and trying to evict outsiders and not being on the accessible portion of the map.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zereth posted:

I thought he was summoned, he was just not doing anything outside the Sylphlands? Just Tempering Sylphs and trying to evict outsiders and not being on the accessible portion of the map.

They did, yes, but apparantly Ramuh is of a more level mind and temperament than the other Primals, as mentioned by the dialogue in "Believe In Your Sylph".

Since he's big on reconciliation, and the abduction-conversions are a very crude and distorted interpretation of reconciliation by winning them over to your side coercively, I don't see why it can't go back the other way, maybe tied into an eventual cure for tempering, as the various people working on such a cure work on said cure.

I'm thinking that there won't be any kind of Ramuh boss fight, unless it's some kind of "Well, I must test you first" capacity because the Scions need Ramuh's help with some earth-shattering event or another.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 22, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rei_ posted:

Make it like lancer except instead of using flank & rear attacks to activate additional effects, you have to mix close and long range.

Sylphs are creepy wierdos and I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
It'd be neat if Ramuh ended up being an ally of sorts. I mean, at the end of the Main Scenario a goddess was intervening in the Ultima fight, a Primal doing the same isn't too far-fetched. Maybe something involving Odin, what with him showing up in the Shroud and all.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rei_ posted:

Could always glamour your 1H sword to look like Lightning's?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Can I glamour my 2H Axe to look like a Buster Sword? Like I swear that thing showed up in trailers but I haven't seen one ingame yet on anyone.

I figured this game would be full of Cloud Leonhearts wielding flaming buster swords, but weirdly they seem to have avoided that.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Rei_ posted:

Can I glamour my 2H Axe to look like a Buster Sword? Like I swear that thing showed up in trailers but I haven't seen one ingame yet on anyone.

I figured this game would be full of Cloud Leonhearts wielding flaming buster swords, but weirdly they seem to have avoided that.

Flaming buster swords are summoned for the level 1 and 2 melee DPS limit breaks. Have you really not seen one of those yet?

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Line Feed posted:

Maybe he saw how dumb his followers are (Voco) and wants new ones.

Also, I'm the worst Retainer Master.

YOU WILL DRESS THIS WAY BECAUSE IT AMUSES ME. :neckbeard:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just started a few days ago. I've got my gladiator to 22 and switching to a marauder now. I've actually been really enjoying this so far. The main quest line is weird though, not bad weird it's just silly, like the weird crammed in Metal Gear reference or absurd over the top villains.

I've been playing with a controller and although it feels natural the only problem is trying to target during hectic fights. I'll need to start using the keyboard & mouse again since cycling through targets requires "The Claw"

Rei_
May 16, 2004

ActionZero posted:

Flaming buster swords are summoned for the level 1 and 2 melee DPS limit breaks. Have you really not seen one of those yet?

I'm level 41 and I've literally never seen anyone use a limit break. Like maybe it's because I'm tanking and people expect me to be the one to pop that in a bossfight, but really it's just like...NEVER come up.

Speaking of which I was in some Fate thing earlier in Coerthas where this huge cyclops one-shotted me, and then did it to me again when I came back into the area. Without thinking when the fight was over I queued up for a Duty Finder Light Party, and didn't realize until after the third boss in Brayflox that I had literally no unbroken gear equipped. Like, everything was busted. We made it through to the end with no wipes and I mentioned it jokingly and instantly recieved three commendations from the entire party, haha.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 22, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tanks don't need to move or target. Just spam flash and let the real heroes do the hard work.

Rei_ posted:

I'm level 41 and I've literally never seen anyone use a limit break.

The best thing about playing LNC/DRG is using limit breaks whenever I drat well please.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

sassassin posted:

Tanks don't need to move or target. Just spam flash and let the real heroes do the hard work.

The best thing about playing LNC/DRG is using limit breaks whenever I drat well please.

I wish the loving MNKs and DRGs would remember to use their limit breaks. Saving up for the last boss, fine. But forgetting to use it? What the hell are they going to save it for, the next dungeon!?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rei_ posted:

I'm level 41 and I've literally never seen anyone use a limit break. Like maybe it's because I'm tanking and people expect me to be the one to pop that in a bossfight, but really it's just like...NEVER come up.

Tanks pretty much never need to use LB's besides the end of Ultima HM and maybe a couple of the more difficult battles if you mess up, like Garuda EX. And for a lot of earlier dungeons, it's possible that people don't even know limit breaks exist. I didn't know until maybe Haukke Manor or so, since I had to look up what "lb" was.

Helpful hint to everyone in general, if you tell your DPS (or god forbid, Healer) to LB, they usually won't notice until it's too late since they're too busy with what's going on to check the chat. Use sound effects like <se.1> through <se.15> or so to get their attention. Hell, might even be worth making a macro for. "<t>, Limit Break! <se.6> <se.6> <se.6> <se.6> <se.6>"

Line Feed posted:

Wouldn't you also want to beat up sylphs after they make you transport stupid crap constantly?

Kobolds are even worse since one of the highest-tier quests involves two transports.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

sassassin posted:

I swear most of this thread lives in some other sub-reality of this game unknown to me where DPS is poo poo and tanking is easy

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Just spam flash and pull everything, i'm sure your healer can keep up :downs:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ilifinicus posted:

I swear most of this thread lives in some other sub-reality of this game unknown to me where DPS is poo poo and tanking is easy

That's the world I find myself in far too often.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ilifinicus posted:

Tanking is a pain because there's no way to learn new-to-me content as a DPS or healer and learn a fight before doing it proper, AND the DPS is poo poo.

I kind of miss WoW for that.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

Idk, I love playing DPS, it's great but I still find tanking MOST things to be fairly easy. IMO it's only hard in extremes and later turns in coil, like t4 and t5.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tanking is most about coordination and group action. DPS are on their own little island where their fuckups can either be isolated or they affect everyone massively.

There are much more moving parts as a DPS but tanks have to understand the fight more.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That's why I started off as a healer. I stand back and watch everyone else to learn the fight so when I'm ready to do it in another role everything should go well.

Unless it's the Mog fight, that one doesn't seem to go very well.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tanking is most about coordination and group action. DPS are on their own little island where their fuckups can either be isolated or they affect everyone massively.

There are much more moving parts as a DPS but tanks have to understand the fight more.

I don't really agree, most raid mechanics ignore the tank so the extent of mechanics they have to know are swaps and when to move or use CDs. OTOH new coil is heavy on the dps checks, gimmicks, and movement/positioning.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

For whatever reason I love the hell out of the story/world/history/enemies/all of that in this game. I even read all of the side quest text because it's oddly engaging and I love being immersed in this world. What FF is the closest connected game to this? Is there even one?

Of all the Final Fantasies, I'd say this is the best fleshed-out to date in terms of worldbuilding. It's also an enormous grab-bag of classic themes and elements from earlier games. There's a ton of FF6 in there, right down to the technologist empire and the rogue Imperial villain who planned to destroy the world (and mostly pulled it off, even resulting in the 'X years later, on a very new world map' scenario we're seeing here), but the empire itself is named and styled after Garland, the villain of the very first game, and the guy with the apocalyptic intentions died in the process.

The entire game is a patchwork of asset and story re-use, but it's stitched together with such care and attention that it does end up as more than the sum of its parts. The concept of the Lifestream is from FF7, and ancient lunar empires have popped up before, too. The big difference between this and earlier games is the amount of thought they've put into the day-to-day life of the minor characters, and the political structures and motivations of the nations, which seems to be closer to the Ivalice series - FF12/FF Tactics/Vagrant Story.

Rei_ posted:

I always save those for the final burn-down phase of a boss fight. Once we're in that last third of the battle, drop a big explosion on the boss to speed things up and save us some dodging of final-wave attacks. From level 40-something up, bosses tend to get a bit more proactive, especially in their last stages.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 22, 2014

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Astro Creep posted:

Well Goobbues are the second-best mount after the Fat Chocobo, so I'm sure he understands.

I'm sorry you are so wrong about what the best mount is.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Are FFXII's Ivalice and FFT's Ivalice the same world? I was under the impression they were completely unique worlds that just happened to share a name. (I never played FFXII which is probably part of the problem)

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

sassassin posted:

I played SCH to 50.
I played BRD to 50.
I played WHM to 50.

Then, I played DRG for cross-class skills. Let me tell you, being able to hit that limit break button is the best feeling. Once you've hit it you can't go back.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Alakaiser posted:

Are FFXII's Ivalice and FFT's Ivalice the same world? I was under the impression they were completely unique worlds that just happened to share a name. (I never played FFXII which is probably part of the problem)

According to the original director FFXII was not supposed to be part of the Ivalice world, in fact even when it was shoehorned into it, the continent is in a completely different place than Ivalice. Likewise VS isnt really part of the Ivalice world, it was just an easter egg thrown by Matsuno.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Edit: Welp, nevermind. See above post - beaten like a red-bobbled moogle.

Either way, FF14 has elements from just about the entire series, but put together with such care that it works really well.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought they were the same, just in different time periods.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Azubah posted:

I thought they were the same, just in different time periods.

No, like Ivalice is the western most area in that worlds continent while FFXII takes place in a larger land mass in the center. VS was supposed to be farther north. None of the stories were actually designed to be connected and they might as well be independent universes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd like to see classic FF Dungeons kind of remixed in FF14--maybe you find a ruined version of Galbadia Garden someplace or find a Cleyra-like tree dungeon somewhere. That'd be cool.

• Locked thread