Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I just re-installed Skyrim and was going to try following the mod advice in this thread but i seem to have some mods installed like the UI one from last time i played. Is there somewhere that wasn't deleted that i have to clean out to have a clean install of Skyrim? I want to make sure I can start using mod manager, etc and know some previously installed mods wont mess anything up unless installing mod manager will find these mods and let me remove them, etc?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Am I imagining things or do you get Light Armor skill points for just running around in SPERG?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, you do. Running and sprinting and jumping increase the armor skills depending on what you're wearing.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

You didn't mention it, so I figured I'd ask. Are you actually installing and activating the stuff from inside MO as well? The whole point of MO is that the downloads stay zipped on your hardrive in whatever place you downloaded them to, then MO uses some kind of dark sorcery to make Skyrim behave as if all those mods are loaded when they're actually not. Not in the normal way, anyway.

When I look at my data directory with windows explorer, I only see the basic .esm's and maybe one or two that I had trouble installing via MO for some reason. When I look at what my data directory with MO, I see all of the stuff that I've installed and activated via MO.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Deltasquid posted:

I just realised Nirya, one of the random students that hang around Winterhold doing nothing at all, could fit as a follower.

Yep, Nirya is in there. I'm planning on giving her a dichotomy with Faralda (i.e. you can either have her as a follower, or Faralda, but not both) a la Sven/Faendal; it'll require a bit more work.

Agents are GO! posted:

One last suggestion for Degaine: use the Whiterun beggars "But drat if I ain't almost sober." Line as Degaines "stand up after bleedout" line. (Cut off the "but.")

I'll check that out - dialogue is categorized differently for different events (idles are one sort of "event," along with going into and out of combat) which act as a sort of meta-condition; if leaving bleedout has an event then doing this should be simple.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
SkyRe Sperg trip report: some of the SkyRe perk stuff is still applying in interesting ways. Crossbows do 50% armor pen, but there's no way to increase that whatsoever. Disabling Sperg trees does absolutely nothing, which is fortunate, because I'd be tempted to use DSR to max everything.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Hog Butcher posted:

SkyRe Sperg trip report: some of the SkyRe perk stuff is still applying in interesting ways. Crossbows do 50% armor pen, but there's no way to increase that whatsoever. Disabling Sperg trees does absolutely nothing, which is fortunate, because I'd be tempted to use DSR to max everything.

What exactly did you do to combine these? Just load up everything in SkyRe except for the perks, and then load up only the perks from SPERG?

edit: Oh, and I found that ENB changer. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24402

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 22, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

sticklefifer posted:

What exactly did you do to combine these? Just load up everything in SkyRe except for the perks, and then load up only the perks from SPERG?

I am literally just loading SPERG after SkyRe. All I want out of it is the new loot laying around but I've left in the rest because meh.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.
SPERG question for seorin:

While the mod is the most beautiful thing, and I love the Ethereal Arrows perk to goddamned death, I hate those ridiculous fork-shaped arrowheads. So I spent the better part of this morning in the creator going through SPERG.esp trying to find the file that references the model the ethereal arrows use.

I can't find the damned thing, please help me find it. :) It's such a minor, niggling thing, but it drives me nuts, I've got to change it to something with a proper arrowhead. I am assuming, of course, that it'll still apply the ethereal/spectral effect and all if I can just change the called .nif.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

scamtank posted:

Sounds like you're being ruined by UAC. Try disabling that poo poo from the control panel.

Also, you must start SKSE through Mod Organizer. The magic of MO means that the mods don't really enter the Data folder until startup. This allows a lot of flexibility with installing and unplugging poo poo, but the mod files really aren't there for the game until MO wizards them in the right place,

Yeah that UAC is what was loving me up. Thank you

Buried alive posted:

You didn't mention it, so I figured I'd ask. Are you actually installing and activating the stuff from inside MO as well? The whole point of MO is that the downloads stay zipped on your hardrive in whatever place you downloaded them to, then MO uses some kind of dark sorcery to make Skyrim behave as if all those mods are loaded when they're actually not. Not in the normal way, anyway.

When I look at my data directory with windows explorer, I only see the basic .esm's and maybe one or two that I had trouble installing via MO for some reason. When I look at what my data directory with MO, I see all of the stuff that I've installed and activated via MO.

I was activating it inside of MO. Than I thought I needed to unzip it, big mistake, long story short. Its all straightened out.

Thank you

edit: Anyone having issues with Nexus right now? Everytime I go to grab any mobs the page times out and says I can't find the file

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 22, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tiny Chalupa posted:

edit: Anyone having issues with Nexus right now? Everytime I go to grab any mobs the page times out and says I can't find the file

It was doing that for me last night. Nexusmods is notoriously unstable. Just go back and try a different download location, or wait a little bit.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Wolvorine posted:

SPERG question for seorin:

While the mod is the most beautiful thing, and I love the Ethereal Arrows perk to goddamned death, I hate those ridiculous fork-shaped arrowheads. So I spent the better part of this morning in the creator going through SPERG.esp trying to find the file that references the model the ethereal arrows use.

I can't find the damned thing, please help me find it. :) It's such a minor, niggling thing, but it drives me nuts, I've got to change it to something with a proper arrowhead. I am assuming, of course, that it'll still apply the ethereal/spectral effect and all if I can just change the called .nif.

Isn't that how the Dwemer arrows look?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Heavy Lobster posted:

I think it's daedric arrows, which I'm pretty sure are also the arrows used by the bound bow.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

I think the point is that he thinks they look dumb, regardless of what material it is they're using.

I don't know if it helps or not, but forked arrowheads were (are?) in fact a thing that were likely used to hunt small game. Which is still dumb if you're hunting dragons or something. Relevant image is the third one starting from the bottom and going up.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I think in an effort to save time and effort, Seorin just went with the graphics for the bound arrows, which are Daedric by the way, not Dwarven.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Buried alive posted:

I think the point is that he thinks they look dumb, regardless of what material it is they're using.

I don't know if it helps or not, but forked arrowheads were (are?) in fact a thing that were likely used to hunt small game. Which is still dumb if you're hunting dragons or something. Relevant image is the third one starting from the bottom and going up.
Yeah, I'm aware of such actually-existing arrowheads. But aside from the fact that they're small game heads, even aside from the fact that the ones in-game are more crescent-shaped than fork-shaped (and would almost-certainly be unable to penetrate squat)... they just look stupid as hell. :T

Scyantific posted:

I think in an effort to save time and effort, Seorin just went with the graphics for the bound arrows, which are Daedric by the way, not Dwarven.

It's... possible. I had actually presumed that was the case when I started trying to change it earlier. So far, I haven't been able to find the correct change to make (as every time I tried a change and re-loaded the game, the SPERG ethereal arrows looked exactly the same). If it turns out that is the case, then apparently I just suck and still couldn't find it.

Hey... don't suppose anyone wants to throw a guy a bone and slap together a quick modlette to take care of it, hmm? (this would, in fact, surprise the living hell out of me).

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I'd like to congratulate Mad Archivist as his FCO mod is currently the top runner for File of the Month on the Nexus, beating that Epic Gameplay Overhaul done by apollodown.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Scyantific posted:

I'd like to congratulate Mad Archivist as his FCO mod is currently the top runner for File of the Month on the Nexus, beating that Epic Gameplay Overhaul done by apollodown.

Goons are destroying the modding community!

Go Mad Archivist!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm as surprised as anyone, to be honest. Apollodown actually chimed in on the FCO thread a few weeks back - I didn't realize it was him at first because while commenting anyway he was actually very mature and restrained, and he had nothing but praise for FCO.

But yes, between that and ASIS Improved INI Files we goons are truly bringing ruin upon the Nexus, eh? :P

In other news, has anyone figured out tweaking spell priorities for companions? I'm having a stupidly hard time trying to get one of my custom companions to cast the drat spells she's supposed to - every time she brings forth the ULTIMATE SUMMON a few moments later once a bandit drops she dispels it to raise the bandit. Gamebryo AI! :argh:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Why is it so surprising? Is apollodown (no idea who he is) usually a huge sperglord or what?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Just try reading the descriptions of his mods. That should clarify the surprise.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Eh, at least he's trying to put some effort into his writing. He just tries too hard to be funny.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Mad Archivist posted:

In other news, has anyone figured out tweaking spell priorities for companions? I'm having a stupidly hard time trying to get one of my custom companions to cast the drat spells she's supposed to - every time she brings forth the ULTIMATE SUMMON a few moments later once a bandit drops she dispels it to raise the bandit. Gamebryo AI! :argh:
You could not let the AI decide anything at all and instead script how the spells should be used. You can also try giving her a custom version of the Raise Dead spell that has a condition in its effects to not work while the ULTIMATE SUMMON is around (I think the AI respects those conditions).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So I just got this on my INIs...

How... what... :psyduck:

Back in the LF days, there was a popular animated gif of just a string of "AAAAAAAAA" that slowly changed color, representing and endless scream. I could really use that now, I feel.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

As well as process any last good suggestions.

Lurbuk, if you can get around the two quests he's involved in (one to kill him and one where he happens to help kill a vampire in town). And the special conditions attached to his death if it's pre-kill-quest. Probably a tall order, I just want to hear him wax ineptly poetic on my journeys in the voice of Tom Waits :unsmith:

e: Combat barks:

"Is the line for my next performance starting already? Come on, don't be shy, plenty of room for everyone."

"Maybe you need a little ditty to loosen your gob, huh?"

Recovery from bleedout: "Ha! Oh that's a good one, friend. Can you even imagine something so ludicrous? Depriving the world of my unique talents?"

Dismissal remark: "When I'm known throughout Tamriel, you'll regret this decision."

You don't normally hear any of those unless you take the Dark Brotherhood quest.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 22, 2014

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Are there some mods that expand on College or the Companions questlines? I wouldn't mind if it was just more radiant bear rear end quests between the main quests — anything to make them longer than 3 hours would be OK in my books.

Smol fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 22, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Smol posted:

Are there some mods that expand on College or the Companions questlines? I wouldn't mind if it was just more radiant bear rear end quests between the main quests — anything to make them longer than 3 hours would be OK in my books.

Enhanced Skyrim Factions - The Companions Guild is almost exactly what you're asking for regarding the companions, and Spellmaking in Skyrim has a longish questline that picks up direct after the College of Winterhold's questline. Spellmaking in Skyrim doesn't work right with SPERG yet, though.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Raygereio posted:

You could not let the AI decide anything at all and instead script how the spells should be used. You can also try giving her a custom version of the Raise Dead spell that has a condition in its effects to not work while the ULTIMATE SUMMON is around (I think the AI respects those conditions).

I gave this a try and it *mostly* works - the follower will still keep trying to raise things every once in a while but it will fail and the ULTIMATE SUMMON will stay up.

Normally I try to avoid NPCs that are basically fated to die, one way or another (i.e. Astrid - either she dies in the abandoned shack when you reject the DB, or dies at the end of the DB questline), but Lurbuk should indeed stay alive indefinitely if you choose to reject the DB, so I could make him a follower on that basis.

The other issue is bards; it's hard to give them a specific combat role, and getting them to sing is another trick entirely. The way idles work is you can only do one clip at a time; you can't chain them together like you can dialog. There are workarounds but no silver bullet.

So for the initial release I don't want to get too tied up figuring out bards (such as Lurbuk) but it will definitely be a priority for further expansions to the mod.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

The other issue is bards; it's hard to give them a specific combat role, and getting them to sing is another trick entirely. The way idles work is you can only do one clip at a time; you can't chain them together like you can dialog. There are workarounds but no silver bullet.

Bards as a buff-giving support class would be great. I've seen "intelligent healer" companion mods but I'm not aware of any that can cast "your allies gain x bonus" spells for the player's benefit. Failing that, just give them the appropriate default weapons.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Saint Sputnik posted:

Bards as a buff-giving support class would be great. I've seen "intelligent healer" companion mods but I'm not aware of any that can cast "your allies gain x bonus" spells for the player's benefit. Failing that, just give them the appropriate default weapons.

That is a good idea - Heimskr already sort of does this; his AOE healing spell also grants a shout cooldown bonus when it hits the player.

In other news, has anyone who publishes on the Nexus tried granting admin status through the "Give editing access" field to another user recently? Because I and a few others have been trying recently and it hasn't been working properly - the added users will gain the blue author border in the mod page's thread, but they never gain editing access. This is a HUGE pain for me because I want my FCO translators to be able to upload the file directly to the page.

If anyone can reproduce the issue, go here and confirm the bug: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/tracker/issue-19993-give-editing-access-field-not-giving-editing-access/

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 23, 2014

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Paracelsus posted:

Once you start stacking fortify smithing enchants and potions after going through a few alchemy/enchanting crafting cycles and use the scroll from the Patron perk that doubles the effectiveness of beneficial potions you can make weapons whose damage is in the thousands even before you start stacking +~120% Archery/One-handed enchants.

I never thought of using the patron scroll that way. That's awesome! Completely broken and unintended, but awesome. :)

Hog Butcher posted:

Disabling Sperg trees does absolutely nothing

It prevents scripts from acting on them, so it won't grant auto-perks for a disabled tree or touch it if you respec. Replacing it with another perk tree requires something to override it. You can do that with a vanilla tree using the provided override .esp, or use another mod that only modifies that perk tree.

Wolvorine posted:

Ethereal Arrows

It's just using the bound arrows graphic. Unfortunately, the shader effects are on the .nif itself, so if you change that, they just look like normal arrows. You'd have to create a custom .nif, which is what was done for the bound bolt graphic. To change the projectile .nif, find the entries for ethereal arrows under the projectiles category.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

seorin posted:

I never thought of using the patron scroll that way. That's awesome! Completely broken and unintended, but awesome. :)
I almost never remember to use potions in combat, so the only time I really think about using potions instead of just selling the valuable ones I find is for crafting boosts or breaking the economy and/or the Good Listener perk with garlic/nordic barnacle/salmon roe potions of moneybreathing. +670% Smithing potions are pretty nice, though.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

seorin posted:

It's just using the bound arrows graphic. Unfortunately, the shader effects are on the .nif itself, so if you change that, they just look like normal arrows. You'd have to create a custom .nif, which is what was done for the bound bolt graphic. To change the projectile .nif, find the entries for ethereal arrows under the projectiles category.

Thanks for the confirmation.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

How do you download the (wrapper version) ENB binary off the site? I can't find an actual 'download' link to click.

EDIT: I think I found it. What a confusing site.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 23, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've decided what looks best for me is a combination of Realvision ENB, ELFX, and the additional lights mod Claralux. I love the depth of blacks and darkness I'm getting for dungeons and interiors, but my problem isn't that it's too dark - my problem is that I feel the radius of lights isn't big enough. There are still pitch black segments where I need a torch, but torches, fireplaces and candles should light up a room more than they currently do. Is there any specific .ini setting that focuses entirely on how effective lights actually are, without turning Bethesda's stock ambient light back up? [edit]I should mention that the stuff mentioned on the Claralux page doesn't work in-game for me for some reason, and the ini tweaks they mention don't say which file to alter.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 23, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Not in the .ini files, no. That's actually attached to the Torch item itself.

Making a little override entry about it into whatever merged patch you're using would be a breeze with Tes5Edit.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm using SPERG but still getting 1 perk every level, so I must have installed the Community Uncapper wrong. Is there some trick to it?
When I install it with ModOrganizer I select 'data' as the data directory, right?

If I look at the ini file for SPERG it shows the proper

2=1
3=0.5

under [PerksAtLevelUp]

I tried editing the ini file for the community uncapper itself.

I tried installing Community Uncapper manually to the skyrim data directory.

Nothing works. What am I doing wrong?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Trainwiz made Alduin into a boss fight.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53350/

It's like something taken straight from WoW with you being eaten by the dragon, riding on the dragon's back, fighting in a circular stage, etc.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Some guy made this video back in June of last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaahz9QGfzU

What ever happened with that? I really want a minimap after playing so many games that have one. I don't want to consult my map every time I want to find my way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
I decided to go the Heavy Armor route for the first time in forever, and I noticed earlier today that when I equip a set of heavy armor, all sets of the same type become weightless as well, e.g., I have two sets of Nordic Armor at 38 units each, and having one equipped eliminates 76 units of weight. It's almost certainly tied to the Conditioning perk. If it happened before I got the perk, I completely missed it despite having multiple sets of Orcish Armor from time to time. I found one person complaining of this as a bug in 2012, so I'm guessing it's a problem with/inherited from vanilla rather than SPERG. Can anyone confirm?

• Locked thread