Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Total Meatlove posted:

loving Mourinho plays more attractive football grinding out 1-0 wins against Stoke.
That's a fallacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

serious gaylord posted:

But this is completely the opposite of what they were doing. They were getting no-where. Its only when they stopped making 2 yard passes, and instead played the ball forwards, burst down the wing and put a proper driven cross in that they got anywhere.

The amount of times they got in behind the united full backs only to stop and tap it back out to the half way line would infuriate me if it was my team.

Yeah, it does get tedious but I thought that was the point?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

T Fowl posted:

Yeah, it does get tedious but I thought that was the point?

And thats why i dont want him anywhere near a club i support. You combine that boring shite with the awful way he gets his players to act and you just turn into this toxic mess.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Total Meatlove posted:

There are other ways of playing that don't end up with 800 passes and 2 shots on target, which is the 'Pep Way'.

loving Mourinho plays more attractive football grinding out 1-0 wins against Stoke.

One game it sorta doesn't work (but still kind of does) and it's poo poo?

I think people don't like it because yeah it's not as exciting, and yeah, it's not your team holding the ball for long long periods in a very frustrating way for the other team/fans.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Duncan Sperguson posted:

Paul Jewell's record in charge at Derby in 08 was 0 wins, 4 draws and 15 losses.

That was the best team lol they were so awful.

I'm just amazed that, one year after winning the title, Manchester United are in 7th and managed by Ryan loving Giggs. It's incredible.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

5live breakfast is worth a listen if you missed it. One person was going on about moyes giving rooney a new contract when in the same situation fergie showed him the door and put him in his place

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

TelekineticBear! posted:

hes a real scumbag, if he wasnt a footballer you just know he'd be selling coke on a council estate

I don't trust anyone called "Giggsy" op. He's bad news.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I dont know what match you were watching but the only time they were forceful and attacking was right after United scored and oh look they ripped us a new arsehole. For the entire 120 minutes before that it was exactly the same *pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass aimless cross that goes no-where pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass*
I can hardly criticise Bayern for being boring in a match in which Man Utd clearly turned up to park the bus. Maybe if they didn't just decide to concede possession as a match strategy then maybe they could have gotten something out of it. Instead we got Evra's beautiful goal and 22 seconds later they were shown up for the joke of a team that they are. Quite frankly I was enthralled.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Imagine if United win their last 4 games and name Giggs permanent manager

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target

serious gaylord posted:

And thats why i dont want him anywhere near a club i support. You combine that boring shite with the awful way he gets his players to act and you just turn into this toxic mess.

The players have forced out a wonderful man who was just trying his hardest for your club. Utd are already a toxic mess. They should just build a huge Chernobyl style concrete dome over Old Trafford.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

ayb posted:

they probably will because it seems more important to United that you're part of Ferguson's old boys club than your actual managerial skill set

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
"You can look at Moyes and say, 'this guy knows how to stay in a job for more than three years." - Peter Schmeichel.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

T Fowl posted:

One game it sorta doesn't work (but still kind of does) and it's poo poo?

I think people don't like it because yeah it's not as exciting, and yeah, it's not your team holding the ball for long long periods in a very frustrating way for the other team/fans.

I think most people don't like Guardiola because he makes them want to change the channel on a regular basis. He's very good otherwise.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PirateBob posted:

Well no, the popular narrative used to be that he was always going to BM and stupid little United never had a chance.

Well that's the story I've been hearing since last summer / autumn. I remember having a small meltdown about it here as well when it was first revealed.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Machinegunboyo posted:

I think most people don't like Guardiola because he makes them want to change the channel on a regular basis. He's very good otherwise.

I never really got this. Seeing Messi run over teams on his own for a few years was great. Or Eto'o, Henry and Messi up top? That was amazing

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gorn Myson posted:

I can hardly criticise Bayern for being boring in a match in which Man Utd clearly turned up to park the bus. Maybe if they didn't just decide to concede possession as a match strategy then maybe they could have gotten something out of it. Instead we got Evra's beautiful goal and 22 seconds later they were shown up for the joke of a team that they are. Quite frankly I was enthralled.

My issue is that every one turns up to park the bus against Guardiola teams as its an effective way to beat them. I do not want to watch a season of teams doing that. Man United are not Bayern Munich, nor are they the Eto/Henry Barcelona. It would be loving awful to watch.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

vyelkin posted:

The next manager won't last either. You've killed Andropov but you have to kill Chernenko too before you get Gorbachev.

It's the end of Slur Alex Failguson thought but the gang of 92 have just ousted the new paramount leader in a surprise reversal of fortune.

Watch out though, a tiny man will open up the club to new and exciting modernizations, and all of it will come to an end with a disgruntled backroom staffer standing in front of a line of Silverados when the inevitable crackdown occurs. After that it's business as usual.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

37 years ago united sacked Tommy Docherty for having an affair with the physio's wife, how times change.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Strawman posted:

37 years ago united sacked Tommy Docherty for having an affair with the physio's wife, how times change.

I think you'll find Ryan Giggs brother did not work for United

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

tbp posted:

I never really got this. Seeing Messi run over teams on his own for a few years was great. Or Eto'o, Henry and Messi up top? That was amazing

Actually it was real bad and not cool at all. Guardiola is a boring manager and I hate him. Bayern under Heynckes were way more fun to watch.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Hegay posted:

Actually it was real bad and not cool at all. Guardiola is a boring manager and I hate him. Bayern under Heynckes were way more fun to watch.

yeah I still don't understand why he made that team pass the ball more they were so direct and beautiful

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ayb posted:

"permanent" manager

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Carlos Queiroz as Giggs' assistant.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

"permanent" manager

United isn't like those other clubs you see

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This is me this morning:

https://vine.co/v/MiAMY06TDUY

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Taff posted:

To be fair, it wasnt only Giggs that felt that way and there were a few members of the coaching staff ready to quit.

I do find it interesting that two of Moyes men have left with hjim in Round and Lumsdale, but Chris Woods and Phil Neville both stayed.

I would imagine it's partly logistical, they need at least some coaches on the books until the end of the season.

Despite coming to the club with Moyes, I assume they're not necessarily identified as being part of the Moyes management team in the same way the assistant & first team coach are. I think Woods was coaching at Everton prior to Moyes taking charge & Neville obviously has history with United.

I was surprised that there was such a clear-out of staff when Moyes came in, Meulensteen may not be a great manager in his own right, but he seems to be a very well regarded coach. Dispensing with that sort of experience when making the step-up always looked to be a mistake.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

belgend posted:

Not sure if United under Hughton would work mate, and it angers Sol Campbell

Giggs is actually mixed-race :eng101:

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Answers Me posted:

Giggs is actually mixed-race :eng101:
I don't think Welsh is a race, more a breed,

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Chris de Sperg posted:

I don't think Welsh is a race, more a breed,

an inbreed, if you will

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
RIP Moyes; The best manager United ever had.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Frankston posted:

10 years to 10 months

10 years at Everton for boss who proves you don't need trophies to be a winner but he is a winner

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

tbp posted:

IMO his first season in charge with Barca was great but that's when he was using arguably 3 of the greatest 'strikers' around at the time. When it went to using all the midfielders, the bore factor went up tenfold imo.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I can't believe they couldn't have waited a week, absolute cunts I hate them

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Glazers want a manager who will bring Champions League on the cheap and Wenger's contract is up at the end of the season, it's all falling into place.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 22, 2014

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
What other managers will fit with the cum on david moyes chant?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Stotty posted:

Glazers want a manager who will bring Champions League on the cheap and Wenger's contract is up at the end of the season, it's all falling into place.

lol theres quite a few conspiracy theorists on twitter melting down about that

Benadryl Brownie
Aug 18, 2005

Haway les gars
And yet we still have Pardew.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

have we laughed at ryan giggs player manager yet? because its lol worthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Cart Cam posted:

What other managers will fit with the cum on david moyes chant?

just change the first name to that of his wife and it'll work for Giggs.

• Locked thread