Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
this is incredible.

You've just got to be yourself! be natural! like Paul Ince, and Roy Keane, noted great managers!

He's getting the job and getting them into the relegation scrap and loving everyone's wives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I just saw the news this morning since I'm at a conference and holy poo poo

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I thought the era of past it players subbing themselves on was well gone and i'd never see it again. But i do, i get to see a 40 year old ryan giggs sub himself on for manchester united when they're 2-0 down while the latest youth prospect to get ignored instructs his agent to find him a new club.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article4069309.ece

quote:

At the Manchester United training ground in recent months, some of the long-serving staff would come in and ask, with lips curled, “Are Everton in today?” It was a coded way of asking if the boss was in his office. David Moyes never did escape the disparaging label that he was an overpromoted Everton manager out of his depth from the day he walked, with trepidation, into Old Trafford.

“Are Everton in today?” It is an easy, sneering insult given that Moyes came from Goodison Park with ten staff, from assistants to scouts, analysts and soon added a £27 million midfielder.

[...]

Ferdinand was written off months ago but ended up not just in the starting XI but one of the first names on the teamsheet. Players such as Shinji Kagawa and Javier Hernández were shunted in and out, not knowing if they were part of first-team plans or outcasts. Line-ups were frequently changed, confusing the players. Players used to Ferguson’s inspiring talks found that, as results dipped, their spirit was being sapped by Moyes’s dourness.

Moyes lost Robin van Persie a long time ago and other senior players also began to lose the faith. Nemanja Vidic did not even bother asking United to make a counter-offer to his deal at Inter Milan. He just wanted to get away. Ryan Giggs kept his distance as the regime unravelled. The news that Danny Welbeck was agitating for a move left no doubt that the dressing-room unrest was spiralling dangerously out of control.

Woodward, the vice-chairman, must have picked up the rising volume of dissent. There was no way that the Glazers could give Moyes another £200 million to spend this summer.

They could not risk fresh humiliations that have come one after another, like punches; an unwanted list of records which will be capped by the ultimate embarrassment if Liverpool win the title.

It was the wretched defeat away to Olympiacos in late February, and the rumblings of player discontent at that time, which convinced me that there was no way back.

This sacking has felt inevitable. Humiliation would only have deepened for everyone if Moyes had turned up to training, or headed off on more pointless scouting trips. He was in Porto last week, planning a summer overhaul but he must have known then that the job was slipping away from him. He never had much grip on it in the first place.

The job was too much for him. He will be back in management soon enough, hopefully rebuilding that reputation, but failure on this scale must leave deep scars.

Moyes’s coaching staff

Steve Round (assistant manager): A member of Steve McClaren’s coaching team at Middlesbrough and then England, had been Moyes’s assistant at Everton since 2008

Phil Neville (first-team coach): A member of United’s famous Class of ’92 and Moyes’s longstanding captain at Everton. Still working through his coaching badges with some questioning whether the job came too soon

Jimmy Lumsden (coach): Moyes’s long-term mentor dating back to their time together at Preston North End. Has kept a low profile since pitching up at United

Chris Woods (goalkeeping coach): Former England goalkeeper is credited with improving De Gea’s handling from aerial balls

What a cesspool.

Starfury
Feb 28, 2014

RUSSIAN WHORE AND SHAMELESS SUCKER OF PUTIN'S COCK. PLEASE VOVA, FILL MY THROAT WITH YOUR DELICIOUS HOT PROPAGANDA (AND CUM), I CAN'T EVER GET ENOUGH!!
drat, I hoped Moyes would last at least one more season. Dammit. In the end he was too good in destroying Man Utd. "Moyesie" should've been more cautious, without losing to Olympiacos, at home Liverpool & Man City.

Still Moyes made watching Utd this season very enjoyable - 82 crosses with Fulham, 0:2 loss to Olympiacos, making Old Trafford a hospitable place, first wins in ages for Newcastle, Swansea etc. Embarrassments against Everton. Moyes was an ABU dream come true.

Not to mention hilarious and retarded bids for Fabregas, insulting bids for Baines & Fellaini, buying Microphone for a sum that was higher than his release clause, a summer transfer window as a whole was disastrous for Man Utd.

And his press conferences and comments to press were pretty hilarious too.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I thought the era of past it players subbing themselves on was well gone and i'd never see it again. But i do, i get to see a 40 year old ryan giggs sub himself on for manchester united when they're 2-0 down while the latest youth prospect to get ignored instructs his agent to find him a new club.

I think Edgar Davids got sent off as a manager so he brought himself on as a player and got sent off again. I might be misremembering it to be Davids but a manager did it recently.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

im loling hard at this

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm sad that Moyes has gone.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Eric Cantonese posted:

At the Manchester United training ground in recent months, some of the long-serving staff would come in and ask, with lips curled, “Are Everton in today?” It was a coded way of asking if the boss was in his office.

wow that's some code

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

I was until they named Giggs interim and now I'm giddy

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njjqcW0rtVU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Can't wait for Woodward to ignore the new manager and bid for Reus and Thiago Silva all summer

Starfury
Feb 28, 2014

RUSSIAN WHORE AND SHAMELESS SUCKER OF PUTIN'S COCK. PLEASE VOVA, FILL MY THROAT WITH YOUR DELICIOUS HOT PROPAGANDA (AND CUM), I CAN'T EVER GET ENOUGH!!

British press was licking Moyes' rear end almost whole season because of their agenda of promoting British managers. They always whine that there are too few British coaches at top clubs and they always hound foreign managers out when they falter even a bit. Like they did with AVB or Pellegrini. But with Moyes English journalists sucked his cock up until Rodgers emerged with Liverpool going to win the premier league. It was always players' fault, or he needed time or any other excuse.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

chuggo is BACK posted:

wow that's some code

I couldn't get over it

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Which players have the fittest wives we can get ahead of all of the transfer chat for the next three months

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Reminder that Moyes got 9m for 10 months of work

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Modus Trollens posted:

Reminder that Moyes got 9m for 10 months of work

I wish I was Scottish

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

chuggo is BACK posted:

wow that's some code
Get me an Enigma machine, Chuggo. This is one code that's going to get broken.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

chuggo is BACK posted:

I wish I was Scottish
I thought most Scottish people got money for not doing any work

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

chuggo is BACK posted:

wow that's some code

reminder that i already revealed the code wasnt everton, but GB (ginger balls)

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
"Is the Scottish retard in his office yet?" Ryan Giggs said adulterishly, knowing no one could ever possibly know what he was talking about

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

thats Scousers mate

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

"Is the Scottish retard in his office yet?" Ryan Giggs said adulterishly, knowing no one could ever possibly know what he was talking about

lol

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

irlZaphod posted:

Actually I think you'll find Scotland funds everything good about the United Kingdom, furthermore

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

Were his lips curled? That's important.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Man u's longest serving captain Bryan Robson realised his time as a player manager was up when he played against henry and ian wright at middlesboro.

He later had an affair with a chunky sky presenter.

He's also at old Trafford already as a hoary old global ambassador after leaving the Thai national team in 2011 so sign him up fergie???

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Total Meatlove posted:

Which players have the fittest wives we can get ahead of all of the transfer chat for the next three months

Sagna

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
The unrelenting flow of absurdity that leaks from the club after a manager is sacked is always a joy to behold.

I do feel sorry for Moyes, I don't think he's a bad manager but like Hodgson at Liverpool he just wasn't the right fit for the club. He never really seemed to have any concrete idea of what style he wanted to play, as evidenced by the constant chopping and changing the starting line-up. The team lost all attacking urgency and turned in some incredibly dour performances.

He'll be at Tottenham or Newcastle by the start of next year.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 22, 2014

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

They're a billion dollar company that's traded on the NYSE and they're literally being managed by their oldest player. It's unreal.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Definite £20m bid for Sagna reported by ITKer taff

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Stotty posted:

The unrelenting flow of absurdity that leaks from the club after a manager is sacked is always a joy to behold.

I do feel sorry for Moyes, I don't think he's a bad manager but like Hodgson at Liverpool he just wasn't the right fit for the club. He never really seemed to have any concrete idea of what style he wanted to play, as evidenced by the constant chopping and changing the starting line-up. The team lost all attacking urgency and turned in some incredibly dour performances.

Great insights

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

That's been the story since last summer. The deal was in place, everything was set and then Moyes had "doubts" about Thiago and killed the deal.

I know this was a while back, but Moyes must have been literally the only person in football who wouldn't have gone for that deal.
There are probably more people who wouldn't want Messi in their team than Thiago.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
*lips curl* Ah I see scouse is posting on this page.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

blue footed boobie posted:

They're a billion dollar company that's traded on the NYSE and they're literally being managed by their oldest player. It's unreal.

Works for the Glazers

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Burqa King posted:

Works for the Glazers

He sees right through them. They're putty in his hands. Smashing. Framed.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

DickEmery posted:

There are probably more people who wouldn't want Messi in their team than Thiago.

I mean probably not

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

DickEmery posted:

I highly doubt that

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Pissflaps posted:

we all are, Pissflaps. I think Moyes is probably a wee bit disappointed too.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Moyes just needed more time. Rafa slipped six places in a season and he was given a treble winning side to manage immediately after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
I'm sure Zaha is excited he can bang moyes daughter again and go back to United

• Locked thread