Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'd like to see classic FF Dungeons kind of remixed in FF14--maybe you find a ruined version of Galbadia Garden someplace or find a Cleyra-like tree dungeon somewhere. That'd be cool.

Isn't this exactly what crystal tower is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
One thing I would love to see brought back from FF11 -- which I realize is not normally a good start to a sentence -- is Dynamis. Basically, they're big raids that take place in dark/evil versions of the main towns, and it was super cool to fight bosses at landmarks where you hang out every day. Imagine starting at Ul'dah's Chamber of Rule and having to fight your way to the Aethernet plaza for the final boss, or fighting trash in Hawker's Alley, or getting mad because your tank keeps going for the lovely treasure coffers in the shops in Gridania. :3:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Azubah posted:

Yes. Personally I'm holding out hope for a trip to the moon, a la FF4.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Crazy Larry posted:

Well they did bring the moon to us so who knows.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Azubah posted:

Yes, so I'm saying, more of that. Imagine having a 24-man raid of a Mako Reactor or North Crater next. That'd rock. That'd rock socks.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Well they did bring the moon to us so who knows.

You... kinda do a trip to the moon. I mean a moon in a hologram room but still a moon.

Also you enter the moon pretty often.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Crazy Larry posted:

If they ever do a full expansion for FF14, there's two directions they could logically take it. Upwards to the Allagan moon, or Northeast to Garlemald. Either way, expect a lot of robots in either glowy or manned form.

The updates until 3.X or whatever they'd call it seem to be fleshing out Eorzea.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Is every MMO community this mean to tanks? :<

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rei_ posted:

I make sure to praise and/or give commendations to any tank I meet that knows how to work things. A lot of them seem to have trouble with even basic concepts, like 'keep the pointy end of the dragon facing AWAY from the healer'.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

only if you're incompetent

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Golden Goat posted:

I've been playing with a controller and although it feels natural the only problem is trying to target during hectic fights. I'll need to start using the keyboard & mouse again since cycling through targets requires "The Claw"
L1 and R1/LB and RB will cycle between enemies if you press them while your skill bar is active.

pksage posted:

One thing I would love to see brought back from FF11 -- which I realize is not normally a good start to a sentence -- is Dynamis. Basically, they're big raids that take place in dark/evil versions of the main towns, and it was super cool to fight bosses at landmarks where you hang out every day. Imagine starting at Ul'dah's Chamber of Rule and having to fight your way to the Aethernet plaza for the final boss, or fighting trash in Hawker's Alley, or getting mad because your tank keeps going for the lovely treasure coffers in the shops in Gridania. :3:
This or some kind of "town invasion" dungeon/trial would be really neat. I'm not sure why but sticking a combat scenario in what are usually non-combat zones really appeals to me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dominic White posted:

I make sure to praise and/or give commendations to any tank I meet that knows how to work things. A lot of them seem to have trouble with even basic concepts, like 'keep the pointy end of the dragon facing AWAY from the healer'.

I actually only give commendations to DPS unless a healer absolutely wows me (though I'm a tank so obviously I can't do that), since I know they never get any and I regularly end 8-mans with 5-6 commendations anyway.

Vasya_Valeri
Apr 21, 2014

pksage posted:

This would also make for great later end game content, perhaps as a plot point for some of the loose ends.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Yes, so I'm saying, more of that. Imagine having a 24-man raid of a Mako Reactor or North Crater next. That'd rock. That'd rock socks.

Or a twelve man raid of Kefka's Tower where three parties of four progress separately until the end.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

Or a twelve man raid of Kefka's Tower where three parties of four progress separately until the end.

A entire dungeon of Atomos fights would be the antithesis of fun.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

Now this, this I can get behind.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

KaneTW posted:

You... kinda do a trip to the moon. I mean a moon in a hologram room but still a moon.

Also you enter the moon pretty often.

Does it count as the moon if it's pieces embedded into the world though? Perhaps all the eorzean moonwalks were faked, did you think of that?

Vasya_Valeri
Apr 21, 2014

Countblanc posted:

I actually only give commendations to DPS unless a healer absolutely wows me (though I'm a tank so obviously I can't do that), since I know they never get any and I regularly end 8-mans with 5-6 commendations anyway.

I also try to drop a commend on anyone that gives instructions to new players, silent party can really kill the mood for the inexperienced. If no one talks or needs to I usually just dole out to the DPS on low ranks, Heals on high, and tanks on Garuda Ex always assuming victory.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

PhilippAchtel posted:

I too would like to sit around at the last boss door waiting for Alliance C (whos three bosses back) to find another tank because the last one rage quit due to everyone being terrible.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rei_ posted:

Dunno, I've run into a some really bad tanks.

But there are more really bad dragoons out there, than bad tanks.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Opposing Farce posted:

L1 and R1/LB and RB will cycle between enemies if you press them while your skill bar is active.

Cheers, you've saved my hands.

What about a dungeon based on FFVIII's Castle, where specific actions are locked and require target bosses to be defeated to unlock them?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Kuvo posted:

I too would like to sit around at the last boss door waiting for Alliance C (whos three bosses back) to find another tank because the last one rage quit due to everyone being terrible.

Or you could just add something that makes it so that after every boss fight two groups have a common ground to backtrack to help. Like, at boss # 1 team A,C are linked and B, D, then they go on off and have A + D, B + C, etc.

It can be made to work, just needs a fine touch.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Golden Goat posted:

Cheers, you've saved my hands.

What about a dungeon based on FFVIII's Castle, where specific actions are locked and require target bosses to be defeated to unlock them?

That would be pretty hard to balance, I feel, especially for some classes like WHM who have little else to do if they can't cats their healing spells.

That said, it COULD maybe work. FF14 has surprised me before.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Kuvo posted:

They could do it in such a way that after your group of 4 clears the previous bosses then you go in a queue again for the final boss to try to get around that.

But it would still lead to a lot of waiting around after you've already found a group soooo...

I think this is just one of those things that sounds great but its really tricky if not impossible to implement in a way that doesn't lead to frustration.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kuvo posted:

Fair point :shrug:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That would be pretty hard to balance, I feel, especially for some classes like WHM who have little else to do if they can't cats their healing spells.

I figured it'd be impossible to balance out completely but they'd have to be more specific with what is disabled. They couldn't just say "no magic" as it would cause exactly what you've mentioned. It just needs to be something to push people out of their comfort zone.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Increase the level cap for unlocked skills with every boss downed.

Choose which order you kill them.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

FFXI did this with Salvage; it was an event where alliances went in and were given a certain number of 'unlock' items to start (so mages could unlock magic, melee could unlock weaponskills, etc), then could earn more by defeating stuff in the dungeon. I never did it, since the worst endgame I did in FFXI was Dynamis because I didn't feel like taking a million years to build a mythic weapon or any of the Salvage armor sets.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

If I want to take up Alchemy, is a particular gathering class best suited to provide mats for it? I was assuming botanists but I've learned to not assume anything about this game :)

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rei_ posted:

I've gotten to party with some very patient goons when I first started. Off-tanking Garuda hard while trying to tab target the correct sister and position her away from the tornados/group should've earned me some poo poo talk. Now I only get poo poo from DF pubbies that attack the unmarked mob and I purposefully don't tank it. Though that's more for my amusement than anything.

If people are making GBS threads on you that much either it's you and you can probably adjust really quickly once you know what's wrong. Or you party with assholes and as a goon you should be better at ignoring/griefing them :)

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

Kuvo posted:

Well I'd hope that when they introduce another big dungeon like this they've implemented the ability to queue as an alliance.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
For the lore folks, Mr. Happy has done a series of Lore and Final Fantasy Bestiary videos.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Generally I'm as nice as I physically can be in MMOs. Especially this one because I know absolutely nothing.

So I get a guildhest where you have to pull a monster over some poison herbs to put it to sleep.

Cue 10 minutes of the DPS and Healer knowing exactly what we're up to and the tank literally just standing and tanking it in one place.

I'm sorry guys after spending the entire time typing frantically "Tank, please pull onto gas," I did end up cursing the tank out when he DPSed the thing to death.

If he'd even written something down in another language the chances are I'd have been able to deal with it. (As long as it wasn't Cyrillic)

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

bubbapook posted:

If I want to take up Alchemy, is a particular gathering class best suited to provide mats for it? I was assuming botanists but I've learned to not assume anything about this game :)

"Gather" mats from the market board to level your crafts. If you want to focus on something to farm while leveling your gathering classes then find the one that's most in demand or profitable and focus on that. Use the gil you earned thru selling valuable mats to buy the mats you need to level your crafts.

Farming for specific items you need to craft is bad MMO economics.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

bubbapook posted:

All of the gathering classes are pretty much interconnected. I think a lot of Blacksmith recipes require an item only Alchemists can create, poo poo like that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bubbapook posted:

Botany will supply some materials, but fishing and mining provide a decent amount as well. But if you do try leveling up a DOL class to supply a DOH class, you'll quickly find that you're spending a lot more time leveling the former than the latter, while the majority of crafting materials are sold on the market boards for a pittance.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

OWLS! posted:

Dunno, I've run into a some really bad tanks.

But there are more really bad dragoons out there, than bad tanks.

I came back recently after taking a couple months off and only encountered one really bad DF tank who ignored adds beating on the healer so I kited the adds off the healer with my Bard.

One thing I noticed with the low level roulette is healers really dont like Haukke. I had one queue where four times in a row the healer dropped as soon as they seen it was Haukke. Haukke hasnt been hard since forever wtf healers :cripes:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Does Rested XP bonus stack on Duty Roulette bonus or am I wasting it if I go into Duty Roulette with Rested Status?

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Feenix posted:

Does Rested XP bonus stack on Duty Roulette bonus or am I wasting it if I go into Duty Roulette with Rested Status?

They don't interact -- rested XP doesn't apply to 'flat rewards' like the Roulette Bonus, but does apply to mob kills, so you would get both benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endings posted:

They don't interact -- rested XP doesn't apply to 'flat rewards' like the Roulette Bonus, but does apply to mob kills, so you would get both benefits.

Thank you!

• Locked thread