Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wait, what? Did he literally say "racism only exists because you butthurt minorities keep talkinga bout it!"?

sadwhiteman.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm not sure you could have posted up a worse idea, barring the suggestion that we somehow make Dick Cheney her VP.
This is a fantastic idea. Everyone on the right would have to explain why Cheney is a terrible choice for VP, soft on terror, etc. And because Hilary isn't GWB, he would actually end up doing what a VP is supposed to; mainly nothing.

Bonus points if she sends him to a country where he gets arrested for war crimes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SubponticatePoster posted:

This is a fantastic idea. Everyone on the right would have to explain why Cheney is a terrible choice for VP, soft on terror, etc. And because Hilary isn't GWB, he would actually end up doing what a VP is supposed to; mainly nothing.

Bonus points if she sends him to a country where he gets arrested for war crimes.
Make him the Deputy Ambassador to Iraq.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I love Twitter.

quote:

@LandersWSJ @WSJ This is a Supreme Court that upheld the fugitive slave act, the 3/5 compromise, etc. their credibility is long gone.

TIME COURT! :argh:

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

https://twitter.com/Riteofattila/status/458635500358991873

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SedanChair posted:

sadwhiteman.txt

Thomas thinks the same way iirc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The nice thing about THE JEWS is that it only takes up 8 characters whereas UN AGENDA 21 uses 13 characters.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wait, so that's Ginsburg, Kagan, Breyer, and...? Is one of the Justices a secret Jew? :ohdear:

Also as Jack Chick once pointed out, the other 6 are all Catholic, which shouldn't make a conspiracy theorist any happier :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know, I think at this point I'm over democracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0-KN5Ijkk

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

DynamicSloth posted:

Booker proved himself way too much of a liability in the last general election for any savvy politician to ever seriously consider him.

Could you elaborate?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

This is hilarious, Bundy is about to be surrounded by throngs of burning man hipsters. All in the name of ARE FREEDUMS! Wonder how Hannity will cover it?
:patriot:

Bundyfest posted:

Come celebrate TOTAL FREEDOM at BUNDYFEST, just across the street from the Cliven Bundy Ranch, in Bunkerville, Nevada! 240 bands, 24 hours a day, for a SOLID ROCKIN’ MONTH!!!!

*NO PERMITS REQUIRED
*CAMP ABSOLUTELY ANYWHERE
*FULL NUDITY NOT A PROBLEM
*GAY-FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE
*PENIS ERECTION CONTEST: Erect the largest penis in the open desert, win valuable prize! (tbd)

BACKGROUND: For years, we paid permitting fees to hold Burning Man on the beautiful Playa in Northern Nevada. But now, Cliven Bundy has shown us a NEW WAY! ABSOLUTE FREEDOM! Bundy has declared the entire area surrounding Bundy Ranch as a TOTALLY RULES-FREE ZONE! ANYTHING GOES! WOO-HOO!!!

Why should Burning Man end on September 1st? Swing down to Vegas for a few days for some R&R, a few good buffets, and then HEAD ON UP TO BUNDYFEST! All 50,000+ Burning Man participants are invited to attend — and as many more as can make the trip from anywhere in the world! 100,000? 250,000? THE SKY IS THE LIMIT AT BUNDYFEST! The desert surrounding Bundy’s ranch is LIMITLESS! :)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

We may be approaching something of a tipping point.

from Alabama State Rep. Steve Hurst

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

What a coincidence, this weeks issue of The Economist agrees with you! I've flagged 3 article links so far on how democracy is bad for the lower class. I'll post them tonight if I remember

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fried Chicken posted:

Ted Cruz is courting the Rickett family for cash, endorsing the latest scion for Nebraska governor and kissing the ring of patriarch Joe

You may remember Joe Rickett as owner of the Chicago Cubs, who wants the city to buy him a new stadium because e claims that would break our losing streak, and close down "boys town" , the Chicago gay district that Wrigley is culturally tied to because he feels it's proximity and depravity hurt people's willingness to come to the games. He also popped up in 2012 when he was going to run an ad "exposing the truth" about Obama so shockingly racist that his own insiders leaked condemnation to the press to stop him from airing it and destroying their whole operation.
1: I was unaware of the Cubs having any trouble selling tickets, I thought they sold fine on nostalgia and the draw of Wrigley Field.
2: If people are not coming to the Cubs games, it's because the product on the field is trash, and a new stadium isn't going to help that one bit. Cubs already spend lots of money on salary.
3: He can get bent.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
He wants a new stadium for those sweet, sweet municipal subsidies, I bet.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Steve Hurst gun trailer is even better than I could have imagined just minutes ago when I saw it:

quote:

The District 35 Republican from Talladega gets his message across at parades in a very unmistakable way: He uses a giant revolver as a parade float. (And a barbecue. The gun is actually not a balloon but a large barbecue shaped like a handgun.)

Because of course it is. :911:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

What a coincidence, this weeks issue of The Economist agrees with you! I've flagged 3 article links so far on how democracy is bad for the lower class. I'll post them tonight if I remember

Voting can be a great tool for the oppressed underclass to elect representatives that will promote their interests in government. In theory. Of course communism works, in theory.

Joementum posted:

The Steve Hurst gun trailer is even better than I could have imagined just minutes ago when I saw it:

Because of course it is. :911:
They wave guns in front of white people much in the same way you would wave keys in front of a baby and to the same loving effect.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In an ancient Mayan Temple there's a tablet with a representation that looks eerily like John Roberts. After translating the inscription, archaeologists learned it was known as Ix Jonrobutab, the deity in charge of maintaining white privilege.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

We may be approaching something of a tipping point.

from Alabama State Rep. Steve Hurst

Is that a smoker? I want it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Is that a smoker? I want it.

Thing is pretty drat cool. Not on Sarah Palin BBQ level but it's up there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

StandardVC10 posted:

He wants a new stadium for those sweet, sweet municipal subsidies, I bet.

Yea admittedly my only research has been that episode of Leverage where a corrupt rear end mayor did something like this (without the gays though) but aren't stadiums some of the most huge cash cows for corrupt rear end politicians?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Humanitarian and all around nice guy Mitt Romney donated $10,000 to McDonnell's legal defense fund. Because when you have an extra 10k sitting around, why not give it to those in need?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/04/22/romney-gives-10000-to-mcdonnells-legal-defense-fund/?hpid=z1

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

They wave guns in front of white people much in the same way you would wave keys in front of a baby and to the same loving effect.

I heard a line after the CPAC dog and pony show that really sums up what about the right and guns gets my hackles up. It has shifted so far for them that guns aren't a tool or a weapon anymore, but are instead a ritual totem. Guns are used as a symbol of empowerment and identification. That's why it is worked so much into symbols and messaging of who to respect. If you have a gun you are one of us, and we will listen to you. It is an interesting sublimation of a lot of urges into affinity politics. It is also why they collectively flipped their poo poo at that photo of Obama skeet shooting, or when the black panthers or Hispanic groups are armed. On a less than conscious level they feel those people should not hold the symbol of authority and respect. It's like how Jack only hated the conch when Piggy had it in his hands.

It is also why it pisses me off so much. You may be reverent to symbols, but you don't treat them with caution. Which is how we get so much gun related stupidity. Guns are tools that are deadly if used carelessly, but because they are being used as ritual totems instead of as tools they aren't treated with the healthy degree of respect they should. You wouldn't horse around with a tool that can cause harm. No one lets a small child play with a band saw. But a gun, well then go ahead and pretend you are using it kid, it is practice for when you grow up! Whoops, you killed your little sibling, who could have seen that coming?

They are not ritual totems. They are not a vehicle of individual empowerment. They are not a way of group signaling. They are deadly tools and need to be treated with the respect you show to any deadly tool.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 22, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AhhYes posted:

Humanitarian and all around nice guy Mitt Romney donated $10,000 to McDonnell's legal defense fund. Because when you have an extra 10k sitting around, why not give it to those in need?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/04/22/romney-gives-10000-to-mcdonnells-legal-defense-fund/?hpid=z1

Maybe he lost a bet.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea admittedly my only research has been that episode of Leverage where a corrupt rear end mayor did something like this (without the gays though) but aren't stadiums some of the most huge cash cows for corrupt rear end politicians?

It is one of the biggest and fastest ways to shovel public money into the hands of the rich.

The upside is that Rickett's proposed as pissed off Rham so much he went HAM on it and now tearing down Wrigley got taken off the table for a long time. About the only positive thing that psychopathic 9 fingered munchkin did for this city

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

In a higher plane of existence, Plato throws up his hands in disgust, having beaten modern society to the punch by a mere 2500 years.

zoux posted:

Voting can be a great tool for the oppressed underclass to elect representatives that will promote their interests in government. In theory. Of course communism works, in theory.

I've argued elsewhere (and not coincidentally, so did Plato) that communism's only power is theory, and that nevertheless this does not make it "weak thought".

mdemone fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 22, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This filthy disgusting lawyer did his job!!!!

Also, and this may just be a misconception I have, but isn't it generally frowned upon for an attorney to turn down clients based on what they are charged with?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

I heard a line after the CPAC dog and pony show that really sums up what about the right and guns gets my hackles up. It has shifted so far for them that guns aren't a tool or a weapon anymore, but are instead a ritual totem. Guns are used as a symbol of empowerment and identification. That's why it is worked so much into symbols and messaging of who to respect. If you have a gun you are one of us, and we will listen to you. It is an interesting sublimation of a lot of urges into affinity politics. It is also why they collectively flipped their poo poo at that photo of Obama skeet shooting, or when the black panthers or Hispanic groups are armed. On a less than conscious level they feel those people should not hold the symbol of authority and respect. It's like how Jack only hated the conch when Piggy had it in his hands.

It is also why it pisses me off so much. You may be reverent to symbols, but you don't treat them with caution. Which is how we get so much gun related stupidity. Guns are tools that are deadly if used carelessly, but because they are being used as ritual totems instead of as tools they aren't treated with the healthy degree of respect they should. You wouldn't horse around with a tool that can cause harm. No one lets a small child play with a band saw. But a gun, well then go ahead and pretend you are using it kid, it is practice for when you grow up! Whoops, you killed your little sibling, who could have seen that coming?

They are not ritual totems. They are not a vehicle of individual empowerment. They are not a way of group signaling. They are deadly tools and need to be treated with the respect you show to any deadly tool.

That NYT times giant story a while back about the number of children being accidently shot in their homes being under reported was loving depressing in that regard. Its just...jesus.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Didn't the Simpsons or someone make this joke once?

Either way, I remember thinking that defense lawyers must be bad people for defending criminals when I was a kid. But then I grew up.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Samurai Sanders posted:

Didn't the Simpsons or someone make this joke once?

Either way, I remember thinking that defense lawyers must be bad people for defending criminals when I was a kid. But then I grew up.

In Middle School, I was fortunate to participate in my school's Teen Court program. Aside from the constant stream of mumbled lines from A Few Good Men, it was a great look into the actual mechanisms of the justice system.

For the unfamiliar, Teen Court is a 'diversion' program (like 'drug court' in many states) where non-violent juveniles can opt out of regular proceedings (usually they have to sign an agreement where they plead guilty or no contest) and instead be judged by their peers. They operate in a variety of ways; ours worked like a regular court, with a Prosecutor (whose job was almost sickeningly easy, since the defendant had admitted guilt by default), a Defense Counsel (whose job sucked, since the defendant had admitted guilt by default), a Judge and Jury, and so on. We would 'sentence' the offender to stuff like community service, or to serve on subsequent Teen Court juries. The Defense was there to remind us that the offender was not an irredeemable scumbag, but just a kid who had made a mistake. It was a great lesson about why the job of the Defense was so important, even if at the time I was too young to really notice or appreciate it, because actual criminal proceedings often have a similar tone to the general public; if he's innocent, what does he have to hide, etc. It's the Defense's job to defend their client, and everyone gets a defense. I have a lot of respect for a man who believes in what he does enough to defend potential criminals as a job.

I feel like participation in something like that Teen Court should be mandatory as part of your education. Your defense in court is a goddamned constitutional right, and those don't go away when you or anyone else is charged with a crime. That's the goddamned point.

Ugh, my heart.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's hosed up is that the candidate behind the ad and the people that made the ad and the campaign staffers that wrote the ad all know that the dude did nothing wrong, but they are making a huge damaging deal out of it because winning at any cost has become the number one guiding principle of American politics.

I would like to amend my statement to say that what's hosed up is literally everything in this country.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

zoux posted:

What I see as the good news here is that the Youtube comments section, which is usually a horrifying cesspit, is with a single exception universally disgusted by this thing. Since it was put up by the Republican Governors' Association I'm guessing that was not the intended reception.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

CannonFodder posted:

1: I was unaware of the Cubs having any trouble selling tickets, I thought they sold fine on nostalgia and the draw of Wrigley Field.
2: If people are not coming to the Cubs games, it's because the product on the field is trash, and a new stadium isn't going to help that one bit. Cubs already spend lots of money on salary.
3: He can get bent.

The availability of copious amounts of Budweiser has been the main selling point for being a Cubs fan for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HZsx12aIog

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's some new public art touring New York City.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

"[Vladimir] Putin and Kim Jong-un would be wearing diapers if Reagan were here for just a day," LoBaido said. "Reagan, like all presidents, had some baggage, but he ended the Cold War without firing a single shot, and we were feared and respected."

What a nuanced and mature understanding of the politics surrounding the Cold War, which only existed from 1981-1989.

If he really wants that effect he should bring back Nixon for a day, who actually wanted the leaders of communist countries to think he was insane.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
To say the Cold War was won without a shot fired is to disrespect the veterans of Operation Urgent Fury. :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

As a Staten Island native, oh, the ways I would love to vandalize that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

To say the Cold War was won without a shot fired is to disrespect the veterans of Operation Urgent Fury. :colbert:

Also let's not ignore the role of extreme nun murder.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never realized Reagan was so jacked.

Also, http://www.thewire.com/politics/2014/04/we-decided-to-bring-this-artists-dream-of-a-resurrected-ronald-reagan-into-reality/360965/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know the GOP has a perfectly good former president in Ike, I don't know why they insist on venerating obviously bad president Ronald W. Reagan.

• Locked thread