Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Can anyone tell me whether Alamo Drafthouse tends to show the Rifftrax events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got an email about that the other day but forgot to post my excitement about it in this thread. This is the one I missed because I was late for the Night of the Living Dead live riff! Finally I'll get to see it. Ughhhhh indeed.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Propaniac posted:

Can anyone tell me whether Alamo Drafthouse tends to show the Rifftrax events?
Not to my knowledge. I've only checked for 2 Rifftrax Live shows, but you're out of luck unless the ones I checked were flukes.
It would be pretty great, though. I love the Drafthouse; they're showing The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension next week :3:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zero_Tactility posted:

I love the Drafthouse; they're showing The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension next week :3:
You have no idea how jealous I am about this. :argh:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Huh, I just got Night of the Lepus thinking it would be a parody movie, cause ya know, it's about killer rabbits.

It apparently is serious...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PrinceRandom posted:

Huh, I just got Night of the Lepus thinking it would be a parody movie, cause ya know, it's about killer rabbits.

It apparently is serious...

And it also sell after I tweet to Bill about putting it on sale along wtih the Ice Cream Bunny. :toot:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just got the Riff Off VODs, and holy poo poo, I actually saw Demon Bat before. Goddamn that one is a classic.

I really wish Nat Geo would turn it into a weekly/monthly series.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Night of the Lepus riff is incredible.

"HIPPITY-HOPPITY. DEATH IS ON ITS WAY."

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

precision posted:

Just got the Riff Off VODs, and holy poo poo, I actually saw Demon Bat before. Goddamn that one is a classic.

I really wish Nat Geo would turn it into a weekly/monthly series.

Demon Bat was the best because they had a whole hour to work with one topic (which was also really stupid). The other two shows were still good, but all of the different clips didn't let them really get on a roll with any one thing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wish they had a full hour of Maria stuff to riff.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Zero_Tactility posted:

I love the Drafthouse; they're showing The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension next week :3:
That movie has one of the best end credit sequences in cinema. "Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" paid a homage to it as well (and Jeff Goldblum was in both).

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You have no idea how jealous I am about this. :argh:
It's one of my favorite movies, and I haven't been this excited about going to a movie theater in ages (though the upcoming Rifftrax Live show looks fantastic), so I can extrapolate.

Ghostpilot posted:

That movie has one of the best end credit sequences in cinema.
It absolutely does. :c00l:

So, I'm rewatching Demon Bat, and it remains one of the saddest things I've ever seen on TV. Watching him awkwardly try to engage people ("Here's a picture of a carving in the temple literally 10 feet behind us...") in his search for totally-not-a-vampire-bat is just the worstbest.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Zero_Tactility posted:

It absolutely does. :c00l:

Just for those who've never seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqJ3iGBdOo&t=17s

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/mst3k-oral-history/

quote:

But this year Mystery Science Theater may finally get a long-­rumored, heavily anticipated reboot. This spring Hodgson is hoping to start a new online incarnation of the show, one that will feature a fresh (and as-yet-unannounced) host and cameos from many MST3K alumni.

Hodgson: I’ve talked to a bunch of fans about their lives and what MST3K means to them. I’m overwhelmed by how people took to that show. It really affected them. I thought, if enough people still love it, maybe we can bring it back.

Even avid viewers sometimes don’t realize that every major role in the show had been swapped out over time. So in my mind, the show is built to be refreshed with new people and new ideas. It’s like Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle as it applies to MST3K: If it doesn’t change, it’s not the same show. And fortunately for us, as long as there are movies, there are always going to be cheesy movies.

Zoinks!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I'm happy with just having RiffTrax, thanks!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hey, that'd be nice.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Wasn't the reason Joel originally left the show because it changed from his (and Trace's) original vision?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't think I'd be interested in a MST3K reboot no matter who was doing it. It's been 15 years, why does it need to come back? It feels so needless at this point.

In other news there is a new short up, How to Keep a Job.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It doesn't need to come back, but I'll definitely add it to my DVR queue. The hardest part will be finding a host, and the nerds not telling them how horrible they are compared to Mike and Joel.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

What was wrong with CT? They could of just switched that to online content and more of a revolving cast if that's what Joel wanted

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PrinceRandom posted:

What was wrong with CT? They could of just switched that to online content and more of a revolving cast if that's what Joel wanted

From this turn of events I'd guess Cinematic Titanic wasn't making any money rather than whatever reason they gave at the time.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
If this is true, I think it's smart to reboot with a new host to eliminate fan partiality. The most important thing is hiring funny writers and getting the bots right.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

From this turn of events I'd guess Cinematic Titanic wasn't making any money rather than whatever reason they gave at the time.

I seem to recall them saying that it was hard to synchronize everybody's schedules, especially with each of them living in different areas of the country. Which makes sense with the kind of show that they take on the road.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

therealjon_ posted:

Wasn't the reason Joel originally left the show because it changed from his (and Trace's) original vision?

He quit because he was butting heads with producer Jim Mallon.

MassRafTer posted:

Probably didn't help that they turned it into a travelling show which had to be more expensive than just doing some studio work.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

muscles like this? posted:

He quit because he was butting heads with producer Jim Mallon.

Yeah, it's kind of sad reading that Wired oral history, where you can see there's still animosity between Mallon and pretty much everyone else.

I seem to recall Joel saying that Cinematic Titanic was born out of his desire to resurrect MST3K but Jim vetoing it. If Jim still owns the rights to the MST name I wonder what changed for Joel to say this now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

muscles like this? posted:

Probably didn't help that they turned it into a travelling show which had to be more expensive than just doing some studio work.

I seem to recall Joel stating they were going to release one movie per month, but ended up only releasing 15 over the course of nearly seven years.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

GreenNight posted:

It doesn't need to come back, but I'll definitely add it to my DVR queue. The hardest part will be finding a host, and the nerds not telling them how horrible they are compared to Mike and Joel.

Get Gary Cherone. He has experience with these kind of situations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope they go with Chris Hardwick and that this new MST3K teaches him how to mellow out as a comedian.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

I hope they go with Chris Hardwick and that this new MST3K teaches him how to mellow out as a comedian.

I can't think of a situation that would piss me off more.

That said imagining Marc Maron sitting between two robots and having to watch a bad movie would be amazing if only for one episode.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I imagine a new MST3K would be all about the network going over the scripts making sure all references are current and pop culture enough that everybody can understand them.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I think Joel said he wants to revive it as a web series.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Ghostpilot posted:

Just for those who've never seen it:

And they referenced it in Danger!! Death Ray.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

I think Joel said he wants to revive it as a web series.

There are a lot of awesomely terrible movies on Netflix, seems like a natural fit to revive it there since the rights would be covered. I'd love to see something like Miami Connection riffed.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

precision posted:

There are a lot of awesomely terrible movies on Netflix, seems like a natural fit to revive it there since the rights would be covered. I'd love to see something like Miami Connection riffed.

Why would you do that to Miami Connection.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why would you do that to Miami Connection.

I like my shirtless middle age college students pure and unsullied

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Just watched Norman Gives A Speech, and I'm still baffled as to who kept making these and why. They're like if Mr. Bean was directed by a German nihilist trying to express the futility of existence. The only thing that confuses me more is that there appears to be a five year gap in the production of each one.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

precision posted:

That's like saying you want The Room riffed. Cause The Room riff was bad.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

weekly font posted:

Eh. I liked it besides the forced disembodio parts

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

weekly font posted:

I loved The Room riff, though I will say I don't think Birdemic needed one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
See, I feel like Birdemic is a total slog without Rifftrax. The Room is consistently funny and is actually less effective with Rifftrax.

• Locked thread