Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folly
May 26, 2010

Staryberry posted:

When I entered law school, there was an orientation seminar about minimizing your student loan debt. The speaker suggested that we shouldn't go to the grocery store, because we'd be too busy studying and our groceries would just go bad. Instead, we should just eat out or order in for lunch and dinner. I don't remember anything else she told us, because that was the stupidest thing I'd ever heard.

By the way, it turns out it is possible to make and freeze big pots of chili and still maintain a good law school GPA.

This is layered bullshit. That person was not actually giving advice. She was, in fact, bragging about how hard she wants you to think she works. At the same time, she is convincing herself that they money she's spending to be lazy is worth it. She probably highlights every drat word in her casebook. She'll be padding her hours soon enough.

Content: I know a family who bought annual passes to Disney. This wasn't a bad decision per se, because they were there often enough that the annual passes were the better deal. I'd say about 4 or 5 trips each year, with at least one week long vacation. Here's the bad with money part: they live more than a day's (~24h) drive from Disney. Also, I'm pretty sure they get one of the pricier meal plans. I have a co-worker who's the same way. All I hear him talking about over the walls of our cube farm is his last Disney trip or his next one

What is it with Disney? I know my kid wants to go, and I've taken him once. I'll probably even do it a couple more times. So I know Disney has a hook in me because they've marketed it so well that, as a parent, I feel that this is one of those experiences I should provide for my kids or they'll feel left out. But I don't understand the attitude of shoving more hooks in your mouth while telling yourself the bait tastes delicious.

Edit: Don't change from a singular subject to a plural subject after you make the post. You'll keep missing verbs and sound like an idiot.

Folly fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Some of the rides are fun and there are some interesting attractions. It's also not trashed out like most of the amusement parks near me. I wouldn't think it's worth going to more than twice though.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Harry posted:

Some of the rides are fun and there are some interesting attractions. It's also not trashed out like most of the amusement parks near me. I wouldn't think it's worth going to more than twice though.

I've been three times, and yeah the second time is way too loving much.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I never went as a kid, but I always looked forward to our near annual great America trips. I don't feel as if I missed anything by never going.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
My parents took me to Disney World once when I was eight and while it was fun I don't remember ever asking to go back.

Folly
May 26, 2010
We've had another kid since we went the first time. I can't take one kid and not the other. So I'll be back at least one more time.

With these other families, I do get the feeling that the parents are driving the hype and the kids are just along for the ride.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Looking back, I think there are plenty of places I would rather have gone when a kid than Disney World.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Looking back, I think there are plenty of places I would rather have gone when a kid than Disney World.

I thought Universal Studios was wayyyy better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Went once, was happy to do so, enjoyed Parc Asterix in France way the gently caress better.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I thought Universal Studios was wayyyy better.

Yeah going to Nickelodeon Studios at Universal was a childhood highlight for me.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012
I have an annual pass but I also live twenty minutes away so I can stop by for an hour without it being ridiculous.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Folly posted:

This is layered bullshit. That person was not actually giving advice. She was, in fact, bragging about how hard she wants you to think she works. At the same time, she is convincing herself that they money she's spending to be lazy is worth it. She probably highlights every drat word in her casebook. She'll be padding her hours soon enough.

Content: I know a family who bought annual passes to Disney. This wasn't a bad decision per se, because they were there often enough that the annual passes were the better deal. I'd say about 4 or 5 trips each year, with at least one week long vacation. Here's the bad with money part: they live more than a day's (~24h) drive from Disney. Also, I'm pretty sure they get one of the pricier meal plans. I have a co-worker who's the same way. All I hear him talking about over the walls of our cube farm is his last Disney trip or his next one

What is it with Disney? I know my kid wants to go, and I've taken him once. I'll probably even do it a couple more times. So I know Disney has a hook in me because they've marketed it so well that, as a parent, I feel that this is one of those experiences I should provide for my kids or they'll feel left out. But I don't understand the attitude of shoving more hooks in your mouth while telling yourself the bait tastes delicious.

Edit: Don't change from a singular subject to a plural subject after you make the post. You'll keep missing verbs and sound like an idiot.

This is not "bad with money" so much as "people spending money in ways I don't think they should be". Some people really like Disney, unless you can show that they are missing mortgage payments to pay for those passes you really have no place to talk.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

This is not "bad with money" so much as "people spending money in ways I don't think they should be". Some people really like Disney, unless you can show that they are missing mortgage payments to pay for those passes you really have no place to talk.

Well, he was maxing out his student loans at the time. Is that good enough?

But really, you don't think that somewhere around $5-10k a year at Disney (my estimate based on travel and lodging) is excessive enough to be bad?

Edit: Woops, my drive time estimate is off. It's more like 16 hours from where he lived. That's a big difference. Sorry, I was remembering my last drive to Miami and adding a couple of hours to that to deal with kids.

Folly fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 22, 2014

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
If people can afford the vacations I don't have a problem with them taking as many as they want or what they pay. It's the part where they just go to Disney every year that I don't get. I had a childhood friend whose family did that. If you're gonna drop a few G's on a vacation at least branch out a little bit.

nickutz fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 22, 2014

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
It's weird and probably myopic but I wouldn't say it's necessarily bad with money. That said I guess it still makes for an entertaining story in this thread

waffle fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 22, 2014

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Folly posted:

Well, he was maxing out his student loans at the time. Is that good enough?

But really, you don't think that somewhere around $5-10k a year at Disney (my estimate based on travel and lodging) is excessive enough to be bad?

Edit: Woops, my drive time estimate is off. It's more like 16 hours from where he lived. That's a big difference. Sorry, I was remembering my last drive to Miami and adding a couple of hours to that to deal with kids.

It's still really small-minded and petty. It's just people who aren't you spending their money in ways that you wouldn't. It isn't a problem with them (they're saving money with the annual pass for god's sake). The fact that other people's value judgements can be valid is something you'll have to learn eventually.

For real "bad with money", just look back in this thread for the guy with 10 maxed out credit cards, a bunch of poo poo from a rent to own store at 300% cost, and a fixed income. That's the real poo poo, that's what makes this thread good.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
There's a lot of that in this thread. For every funny story about a real idiot with their money, there's someone else(who is probably buying sixty dollar videogames) taken aback about the way someone else spends actual disposable income.

The reddit dude from the previous page, that's what this thread should be.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

If you consider pphoe (price per hour of entertainment), video games are actually a very good investment.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Nail Rat posted:

The reddit dude from the previous page, that's what this thread should be.

Yes, like this one:

reddit posted:

Hello PF, I'm not quite sure if this is the appropriate location to submit such a question, but everyone on here seems to be quite knowledgeable about many things related to finance. I am 19 and not sure how to proceed.

I was approached by a friend who asked if I'd like to be a part of this business and make a lot of money. So I decided to hear him out, and went over to his house earlier today and he gave me the rundown of what it he's talking about specifically. He told me about this brand new business that became official yesterday, and this business sells like fitness supplements e.g. protein shakes, energy drinks, and other things of that nature. Then there are two large packages, one for around $1,000 and the other for almost half that.

So to the part where I make money: He bought one of them, and now he says that he needs 4 main people under him to also purchase one of these packages of supplements. If I were to do so, he would get some portion from the company. Then I would try and get people to purchase this, and then those people would try and get more people, and I would make money off of the people that buy it directly from myself, and a portion from the people that are brought in from the people I've "recruited".

I immediately thought of a pyramid scheme, and questioned him on this. He said that's what most people think, but assures me it isn't. This company that sells the supplements is controlled by another business that's apparently a successful business. His mother works for them, and did what he's offering now. She's quite wealthy and he said she was making around $600,000 annually when she was doing this. He uses this point to assure me it's not a pyramid scheme; why would a successful company set up a non-legit company?

In summary, it sounds quite lucrative if I can convince other people to buy these packages, but I have some hesitation before jumping into such a large investment for me as I only make minimum wage at a movie theater. Any input would be greatly appreciated and again apologies if this isn't the right place to post -- I'll remove the post if so.

She makes the right choice in the comments, thank God.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

gigawhite posted:

If you consider pphoe (price per hour of entertainment), video games are actually a very good investment.

Not when compared to a library book.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Queef posted:

But it's comparable to buying a book. I don't really get books out of the library any more because I'm terrible about returning them and I'm pretty choosy with what I read so usually want to keep most books I read.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yes, like this one:

She makes the right choice in the comments, thank God.

Holy poo poo. The "I only make minimum wage at a movie theater" caught me off guard but I guess those are the people these schemes prey on because most people know better than that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
both are ripoffs compared to pirating books if we're really going down this road

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jeffrey posted:

both are ripoffs compared to pirating books if we're really going down this road

The library is free, I ride my bike there

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

spwrozek posted:

The library is free, I ride my bike there

That energy you're burning pedaling the bike cost money you imbecile. Stop moving so much and save money

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

gigawhite posted:

You could make that argument about a 2 week vacation that costs $2000.

In other words, the only valid vice is my vice.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was just trying to point out that borrowing things for free is an unfair comparison when the thing in question is bang-for-your buck comparison of entertainment. Buying books, movies, and video games all have similar "hours of entertainment per dollar" values.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jeffrey posted:

I just use my imagination, and entertain myself for hours

My sister mentioned the other day about how she put a Disneyland trip on credit cards a few years ago when her husband was unemployed (to be fair, he was unemployed a lot).

Her kids probably don't even remember it, and she realized that by the time they'll have paid it off, with the amount she spent she could have done the trip in one of the $300/night hotel rooms. :v:

People can vacation however they want, but I know a few people who just MUST take their annual family Disneyland trip, regardless of whether or not they can afford it that year.

Also bad with money? Boat owners who don't live right next to a body of water or have a ton of money to burn. Owning a ski boat is a rich person's game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Smart rich people rent their boats (possibly for the season) and leave the hassle to someone else.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Boats are insane. If I remember correctly my dad paid 1k/month dock slip and 6k/year dry docking for winter (can't remember the exact numbers, those could be wrong). Not to mention all the hours he spent on the weekend waxing it and doing general maintenance.

Luckily he bought it used. Well maintained used boats seem to hold their value (at least back then) so he pretty much sold it for just a little under what he originally paid.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

gigawhite posted:

That energy you're burning pedaling the bike cost money you imbecile. Stop moving so much and save money

Let's start a firm that profits off of others' opportunity costs. We'll make millions on interest alone.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Bloody Queef posted:

Or compared to the satisfaction that comes from a job well done.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

It's still really small-minded and petty. It's just people who aren't you spending their money in ways that you wouldn't. It isn't a problem with them (they're saving money with the annual pass for god's sake). The fact that other people's value judgements can be valid is something you'll have to learn eventually.

For real "bad with money", just look back in this thread for the guy with 10 maxed out credit cards, a bunch of poo poo from a rent to own store at 300% cost, and a fixed income. That's the real poo poo, that's what makes this thread good.

Ah. I guess I edited out the line where I expressly mentioned that most of those trips were long weekends. We're talking about $1000 of driving and 30 hours in the car to get probably less than 30 hours in the park. And it was at least partially funded by student loans and/or credit card debt. But Disney wasn't the waste, the excessive travel by car was. Disney was just the slightly creepy hook. I dunno if that makes a difference to you, but most of it who watched it happen were a little dumbfounded.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It is crazy to me how much people justify driving over other forms of transportation because there's no up-front cost.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm also continually amazed at how little people value their own time. Combine that with ignoring actual cost of owning/maintaining/driving a personal motor vehicle and you get some really bizarre uneconomical behavior.

Like people who will go out of their way to avoid a $3 toll bridge, but to do so takes them an extra 30+ minutes of time and driving an extra 5-10 miles in heavy traffic. I get it that tolls are obnoxious and I don't like them either, but jeez that's less than the Starbucks drink that you just know they're slugging down while they avoid the toll.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Guinness posted:

I'm also continually amazed at how little people value their own time. Combine that with ignoring actual cost of owning/maintaining/driving a personal motor vehicle and you get some really bizarre uneconomical behavior.

Like people who will go out of their way to avoid a $3 toll bridge, but to do so takes them an extra 30+ minutes of time and driving an extra 5-10 miles in heavy traffic. I get it that tolls are obnoxious and I don't like them either, but jeez that's less than the Starbucks drink that you just know they're slugging down while they avoid the toll.

People are broken, I've seen that behaviour the most with gas prices.

I can't count the number of times I've been told "Dude, why are you going here, it's 10 cents cheaper a gallon the next town over. I can't beleive you are wasting soooooo much money!!!"

Yeah, I'm wasting the $1.40, by not driving 10-15 minutes out of my way.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

canyoneer posted:

Owning a ski boat is a rich person's game.

My uncle once told me if I wanted to experience what it's like to own a sail boat I should just stand in an ice cold shower and tear up hundred dollar bills.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
My landlord owns a full-service (detailing, maintenance, etc.) boat housing place in Sacramento. I think his facility houses 200 boats right now. Getting rich off people who can't maintain their own boats is definitely the way of not being bad with money.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bobert51 posted:

My uncle once told me if I wanted to experience what it's like to own a sail boat I should just stand in an ice cold shower and tear up hundred dollar bills.

Oh. I want to own a sailboat. Except as a house. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jeffrey posted:

Smart rich people rent their boats (possibly for the season) and leave the hassle to someone else.

If it flies, floats or fucks: rent it.

• Locked thread