Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
HH should do a special "Talking about The Challenge" episode now that The Challenge is back on MTV. As we all know, appearing on The Challenge is the easiest way to write your own ticket in Hollywood, and I feel like Hayes and Sean may have a few things to say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I mean, if they talk about The Challenge, they might as well talk about a few other reality shows while they're at it.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

jeffullrich posted:

There are no plans to cancel the show. Seriously.

But I'm curious, if we lose $15,000/year doing the show (and our production expenses are not high), why should we keep doing it? Instead of, say, investing in another show with greater potential, using it for employee bonuses, etc. Or I could take some money for a change, I have a young daughter and living in LA is expensive. For that kind of money, I could send her to the best international school in the city. Or upgrade from my Hyundai to, well, most anything else (I would of course choose the school).

Again, I love the show and don't have plans to cancel it, but your comment made me feel like it was fair for me to ask the question. There are real costs to real people to make these shows.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Because it typically takes longer for high quality intelligent shows to find an audience?

Because it can be a gateway for a younger audience to find Earwolf's stable of shows featuring 40+ year-old podcasters?

Because it's a "prestige" show that may not be profitable by itself, but enhances the reputation of the network, like professional sports?

Because while the audience may be small they seem like the kind of assholes that would annoy you with "Why did you cancel HH?!" everywhere you go?

Because I don't know and I'm just making stuff up?

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
I think it reflects well on Earwolf if huge successes like Comedy Bang Bang can help pay for niche shows like Hollywood Handbook. I know ultimately it's a business, but stuff like that gives it a reputation as a good place for people to come to make their podcasts, which helps it to grow.

Hollywood Handbook will be rolling in donations pretty soon anyway once all of their listeners start kicking butt and taking names in the red carpet lined back hallways of this industry we call showbusiness.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

public schooling is ok too.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

SavoyTruffle posted:

Hollywood Handbook will be rolling in donations pretty soon anyway once all of their listeners start kicking butt and taking names in the red carpet lined back hallways of this industry we call showbusiness.

This is by far the most compelling argument.

Thanks for the (mostly) earnest responses. All good points. And as Conduit said, it's complicated. If we did cancel the show, we don't get our money back, we've already invested in the staff and studio to do it. It merely prevents us from adding a different show.

I love the show, love the guys, and have no interest in canceling it. I just thought this was a good place to ask the question.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"You just pulled your dick out in front of a child" had me just about in tears. That episode was so much funnier than I could have hoped for.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

jeffullrich posted:

But I'm curious, if we lose $15,000/year doing the show (and our production expenses are not high), why should we keep doing it? Instead of, say, investing in another show with greater potential, using it for employee bonuses, etc. Or I could take some money for a change, I have a young daughter and living in LA is expensive. For that kind of money, I could send her to the best international school in the city. Or upgrade from my Hyundai to, well, most anything else (I would of course choose the school).

Again, I love the show and don't have plans to cancel it, but your comment made me feel like it was fair for me to ask the question. There are real costs to real people to make these shows.

There's no shame in sending your daughter to public school. I attended the LAUSD and look at me: I post on Internet forums! Take that, Harvard-Westlake!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of good state colleges out of there. CSU Channel Islands is a good alternative to UCSB if your daughter wants an affordable education at a place that's still close to the beach.

No, it's not actually on an island.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

jeffullrich posted:

you raise a lot of good points as someone who is obviously neck deep in the podcasting game and I can't exactly refute them, it's mostly that I just really love both Handbook and RSS, it was pretty much the first non-CBB or HDTGM podcast on earwolf that I listened to and it just hit this weird comedy nerve in me that not a lot of things I'm exposed to can.

There's no doubt that it completely sucks to have a show that's essentially costing you as much as HH or RSS do and as an outsider to the industry I'm sure I have no idea as far as the grand toll the show takes on the network in general.

I guess I had a question as well, something that's come up to me a few times recently listening to CBB, lately there's been the odd cross-promotion for different shows on earwolf, is it just that y'all consider HH to be too far gone at this point to be able to make up the ground? it just always struck me as odd to hear Scott or whoever tossing plugs in for topics or Andy Daly's show when (especially in the case of the podcast pilot project) it seems like you have a huge built-in audience for shows like that, but that same kind of built-in audience doesn't really exist for something like RSS or even the non Hayes & Sean centric shows on earwolf, guess I'm just kind of curious how those kind of calls are made, as far as promoting the smaller podcasts on the larger ones.

anyway I apologize if this was rambling but thanks for replying to my first dumb post anyway Jeff! We good.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

you raise a lot of good points as someone who is obviously neck deep in the podcasting game and I can't exactly refute them, it's mostly that I just really love both Handbook and RSS, it was pretty much the first non-CBB or HDTGM podcast on earwolf that I listened to and it just hit this weird comedy nerve in me that not a lot of things I'm exposed to can.

There's no doubt that it completely sucks to have a show that's essentially costing you as much as HH or RSS do and as an outsider to the industry I'm sure I have no idea as far as the grand toll the show takes on the network in general.

I guess I had a question as well, something that's come up to me a few times recently listening to CBB, lately there's been the odd cross-promotion for different shows on earwolf, is it just that y'all consider HH to be too far gone at this point to be able to make up the ground? it just always struck me as odd to hear Scott or whoever tossing plugs in for topics or Andy Daly's show when (especially in the case of the podcast pilot project) it seems like you have a huge built-in audience for shows like that, but that same kind of built-in audience doesn't really exist for something like RSS or even the non Hayes & Sean centric shows on earwolf, guess I'm just kind of curious how those kind of calls are made, as far as promoting the smaller podcasts on the larger ones.

anyway I apologize if this was rambling but thanks for replying to my first dumb post anyway Jeff! We good.

I sort of remember ads for RSS being read a while back when it was new(ish).

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If you could get Hayes and Sean to do CBB, that'd probably be pretty helpful exposure-wise, but I dunno if Scott could convince those two to slum it on a second-rate podcast

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
educations come and go, but a Tesla is forever

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Maybe cancel HH and give the boys another fun show where they just hang out with the posters in this thread and do whatever. Then cancel that one

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Dark Weasel posted:

Maybe cancel HH and give the boys another fun show where they just hang out with the posters in this thread and do whatever. Then cancel that one

That would definitely be a high quality, intelligent, prestige show.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
jeff have you ever considered just having all the podcasts play simultaneously and only releasing that

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Can you start updating episodes in EST?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Riptor posted:

jeff have you ever considered just having all the podcasts play simultaneously and only releasing that

It's this kind of thinking that wins awards!

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
gently caress Awards, at earwolf we're about those REwards, baby needs a new year of school

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
This week's HH is one of the best they've done.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Yes them analyzing the fargo TV show was amazing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

tnimark posted:

This week's HH is one of the best they've done.

Jordan Morris is pretty good at podcasts.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

He's very good at being podcast and also at being comedy

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I'm glad he didn't down the road of being arson like those other poindexters in prison.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I just can't believe there are other people who remember Mortal Kombat!

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I never listened to Reality Show Show because I don't watch reality shows (except for Face/Off which is too scary) but I'm listening to it all now now and I'm cracking up at work and everyone's looking at me.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Hollis Brown posted:

Yes them analyzing the fargo TV show was amazing.

Reality Show Show was like that all the time. Sean and Hayes are great and I love those two goofs on their own, but they bring their A-plus game riffing on banal and idiotic entertainment.

Basically it was a podcast too good for this world, and it could have become huge if people had known how funny it was (or maybe if it didn't have "reality show" in the title?)

If RSS ever came back, I would sign up for a free digital scale from Stamps.com.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

anotherone posted:

I never listened to Reality Show Show because I don't watch reality shows (except for Face/Off which is too scary) but I'm listening to it all now now and I'm cracking up at work and everyone's looking at me.

This is my situation too. It turns out that you need no context to understand The Challenge

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Yep. I had never even considered listening to RSS until this thread started raving about it when the show was like 20 episodes in. Thank you, thread.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Max22 posted:

Reality Show Show was like that all the time. Sean and Hayes are great and I love those two goofs on their own, but they bring their A-plus game riffing on banal and idiotic entertainment.

Basically it was a podcast too good for this world, and it could have become huge if people had known how funny it was (or maybe if it didn't have "reality show" in the title?)

If RSS ever came back, I would sign up for a free digital scale from Stamps.com.

If it had been called the TV Show Show it would've been a smash hit. But yeah, I agree, I miss them picking apart stupid TV.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It kind of sucks because this season of The Real World has had the dumbest guys on it ever. RSS would have had so much to say, RIP etc.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

anotherone posted:

Let me bang, bro.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

My favorite moments are the entire interview with The Bachelor woman and the GAMECHANGE involving stealing the pickles.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

This is my situation too. It turns out that you need no context to understand The Challenge

I too didn't listen because I don't care about reality shows. All the comments about it also don't make me want to listen to it. It's not even that it's something I don't care about, I listen to U talkin U2 to me and James Bonding and I don't care about either of those subjects. I think it's just the fact that the discussions seem to revolve around current reality show events and I think I'd feel out of the loop if I wasn't watching/listening to it.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 23, 2014

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

I too didn't listen because I don't care about reality shows. All the comments about it also don't make me want to listen to it. It's not even that it's something I don't care about, I listen to U talkin U2 to me and James Bonding and I don't care about either of those subjects. I think it's just the fact that the discussions seem to revolve around current reality show events and I think I'd feel out of the loop if I wasn't watching/listening to it.

you're the problem.

It was a bummer that sean and hayes couldn't rag on Juan Pablo for being a total dickbag weirdo, because I would have killed for that

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

ElCondemn posted:

also those green beans look weird and gross mom, I don't even have to try one to know I will never ever like them

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Politicalrancor posted:

you're the problem.

Yeah I know, sorry!

Politicalrancor posted:

It was a bummer that sean and hayes couldn't rag on Juan Pablo for being a total dickbag weirdo, because I would have killed for that

But it's posts like this... Who is Juan Pablo? I suppose I'd know if I were listening to RSS.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

ElCondemn posted:

Well jokes on you, because they also sometimes talked about classic episodes from years past.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Well jokes on you, because they also sometimes talked about classic episodes from years past.

BRB, watching all those seasons of every reality show I've never watched. Did they by chance cover The Real World? I remember there was some kind of pool, and a camper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Adam Scott asks the question that's on everyone's mind this week about what Scott's beef is with Maron.