Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I can claim that is my old terminal I worked in. :smug:

Edit:

In case any one cares- He is stuck on the north south main "the spine line" The track he is stuck on is the north south main, the east west portion (perpendicular) track is the switching lead/Iowa Interstate Railroads main line.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It really would have been great. There's another episode where they try and chase a truck off road, the car gets stuck and lights the grass underneath it. Then...

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Here's some irony for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Wo8p72LZA

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

This kid got even closer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy8Yt-P614w

gently caress way beaten!!!!!

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 19, 2014

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I was just curious.... do you guys have the massive hump and switching yards like we do in the United States?

Like:

Paying tribute to my old switching yard. It was the largest in the service unit, and if conditions were right, could outswitch the hump yard in Kansas City (because we actually got out and did work instead of pissing away work)

Or this:

This is the Belt Railway of Chicago's Clearing yard. Its not the biggest hump yard, but its a double hump with switching and a parade of trains. In 2006, this busy terminal was constantly parading around 100 trains a day.

Ninja edit: These are not to scale, I just used some google maps

Explore the Cheyenne Yard
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1290918,-104.8123395,2311m/data=!3m1!1e3

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The big intermodal yards in LA are wild to me, just because they are smack in the middle of a huge city with ridiculous housing prices (not in this area really, but still... thats partly cause there are big rear end railyards in the first place)

http://goo.gl/maps/5b0O5

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
PYF Railroad yards? Ok good

Local yards, they just go north for miiiles.
http://goo.gl/maps/bsPlG

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Northtown? Yeah that's a bitch of a yard. It its pretty sweet... all automatic switches by the switch tender.... yah. Sweet yard but its hell getting in to yard a train. Last time I worked a BN transfer job, I was held out for 8 hours... for my 20 car train.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
an irreplacable treasure

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

You Am I posted:

The Hitachis were supposed to be scrapped at the end of the 90s, and some were sold off to private owners. However with the huge rise in public transport use as the petrol prices rose, the Vic Government had to buy them back and bring them back to the system.

Could have been worse - over here in Wellington, NZ they actually had to grab some of the old English Electric EMUs from museums to meet demand in the mid 2000s

The worst thing was they tried to brand it as a positive thing - like you should feel privileged to ride to work in a clunky old train from 1950 (or earlier)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_DM_class_electric_multiple_unit#Withdrawal

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Was this posted already?

Eurotrains for the USA in 2015
http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/modern-european-train-designs-american-tracks-2015-fra

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That's pretty cool, I had not heard of that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, I think there are a few commuter agencies that have been pushing for that change. I know Metrolink in Los Angeles has specifically talked about it.

Someone mentioned that this rule change sort of makes the heavier, old-spec ACS-64s that Amtrak ordered a waste... but with the lengths of time were talking here, and the fact that Buy American would have still applied, Amtrak's choices were basically spend 7 extra years battling their ancient/bad locos hoping that the law could be changed, or just order what you need even if they are heavier and less efficient. Kinda screwed either way.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
And somewhere deep in a non-descript office building in Slough, a ROSCO executive is hatching a scheme to flog sets of Adelantes to unsuspecting American train companies. :unsmigghh:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also, ansaldobreda.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

evil_bunnY posted:

Also, ansaldobreda.

gently caress those guys all to hell.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dissss posted:

Could have been worse - over here in Wellington, NZ they actually had to grab some of the old English Electric EMUs from museums to meet demand in the mid 2000s

The worst thing was they tried to brand it as a positive thing - like you should feel privileged to ride to work in a clunky old train from 1950 (or earlier)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_DM_class_electric_multiple_unit#Withdrawal

That kinda reminds me of the Red Rattler trains used on Melbourne suburban lines from 1910-1984:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tait_(train)

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I hope we get the cool horns too!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

(he was ok, just down one shoe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gsbPLCBa8s

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Has this ever been posted here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYXjxXFha0
A bunch of crazy russians taking TEP80 (~200 short tons/~180 metric tonnes) up to 271km/h(168mph)
Here's it passing by at ~253km/h
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWDdNe_zx5A

Knowing how big these fuckers are and knowing it's mass it's crazy to imagine what would have happened if it had derailed at nearly 170 miles per hour during that test.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

He probably couldn't see very well, thanks to the black blob in front of his face as he was crossing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I don't understand trying to beat a pax train. They take like fifteen seconds to go by. At least with a slow freight train, you have the tiny motivation of the damned thing taking ten minutes to lurch past you.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ugh, I was going to have an awesome rebuttal to the above statement, but now the news article is down.

Long story short, some kids tried to cut through a freight train that was stopped when he stepped onto the knuckle, cars lurched foward (cushion drawbars, lots of slack) and then stretched out and fell onto the tracks. Train was moving forward and pretty much sliced and diced the guy.

MYO found the head.

Don't cross the tracks with out looking folks.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

There was a video of a freight train stopped in California, right next to a stadium. The train was blocking multiple crossings right as a game was about to start so people started going over/under the train and it looked like a disaster waiting to happen if the brakes were to suddenly come off.

Edit: found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW9RrPUu6j0

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
One of those nasty heavy russian passenger trains hit a car
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=29b_1398120107

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

TheCoach posted:

Has this ever been posted here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYXjxXFha0
A bunch of crazy russians taking TEP80 (~200 short tons/~180 metric tonnes) up to 271km/h(168mph)
Here's it passing by at ~253km/h
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWDdNe_zx5A

Knowing how big these fuckers are and knowing it's mass it's crazy to imagine what would have happened if it had derailed at nearly 170 miles per hour during that test.

My railroad co-workers are asking me what the "steeringwheel" type looking device on the control console of european passenger locomotives is used for. Anyone know?

The one in the video above appears to be more centrally located and has maybe a knob on it?

Here is another on a Polish locomotive

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 22, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ugh, I was going to have an awesome rebuttal to the above statement, but now the news article is down.

Long story short, some kids tried to cut through a freight train that was stopped when he stepped onto the knuckle, cars lurched foward (cushion drawbars, lots of slack) and then stretched out and fell onto the tracks. Train was moving forward and pretty much sliced and diced the guy.

MYO found the head.

Don't take my statement in the wrong way. You should ALWAYS yield to the train. Even (especially when it's stopped, now that I hear that story,) if it's stopped.

I was trying to say that I completely fail at understanding risking your life for what literally can not be more than a one minute inconvenience. How self-absorbed and ignorant of your surroundings do you need to be to try to beat a train at the last moment?

Somewhat related question: Here in Florida, passenger trains are very short, compared to freight. Is there anywhere in the states or the rest of the world with long passenger trains, upwards of forty or fifty cars? We routinely see 80+ bulk cargo freight trains, as a comparison.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

B4Ctom1 posted:

My railroad co-workers are asking me what the "steeringwheel" type looking device on the control console of european passenger locomotives is used for. Anyone know?

It's just the tap controller (basically, throttle).

Turn it clockwise = increase tap
Turn it anti-clockwise = decrease tap

I think at some point the russians imported a weird-rear end UK electric and copied the whole tapped transformer thing from that

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MrYenko posted:

Somewhat related question: Here in Florida, passenger trains are very short, compared to freight. Is there anywhere in the states or the rest of the world with long passenger trains, upwards of forty or fifty cars? We routinely see 80+ bulk cargo freight trains, as a comparison.

Its a capacity thing. Even trains during the heyday of passenger trains, they maybe grew to 20-25 cars at most. But it was how trains were ran, IE, a Premier Passenger train-California Zephyr, Super Chief, UP's City of trains etc, then there was a not quite as premier passenger train, IE tThe Challenger, El Capitan, etc, and then various locals that fed the other trains.

Think of it just like today's airliners.

Regional Jets = Locals, small passenger outfits, 1 or 2 cars, lots of stops
Mainstream Jets = More capacity, less stops
Jumbo Jets = THE plane, very few stops

(yeah bad comparison, but you get the idea right?)

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

MrYenko posted:

I think platform size is prohibitive to big passenger trains, especially as they usually terminate in urban centres where a 20+ carriage platform is unfeasible.

Commuter lines move the most people but they also have more stops than long distance routes which is more station infrastructure to expand, and they're mostly all EMU/DMU's so they're 2/4/? car sets coupled together, rather than one contiguous train.

My local commuter line is now running 12 car trains (3 4 car EMU's coupled together) which is I think more or less the biggest it gets in the UK, though someone else may know different.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

i can't imagine how you get to the point of 20 carriage passenger trains without it being easier to do shorter double deckers instead.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Once again, Australia has you covered. Its record is 49 carriages.

edit: On further research, The Ghan and the Indian pacific are usually only a pissy 30-35 carriages. I mean, why would you even bother with such a tiny train?

edit 2: They're ~25 carriages + engines + car carriers. Perth and Darwin have/had huge mining booms and lots of people from all industries moving in/out, and the only way to move your car (unless you want a 3000+km drive) is to put it on the train, so these trains carry a LOT of cars. Note that most of the cars on the train don't actually belong to passengers, they're just cargo for owners who fly.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 22, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Captain Postal posted:

Once again, Australia has you covered. It's often 40-45 carriages long. This one pushes 50.

I guess long trains make sense when there are hundreds of kilometers between most of the stops.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Yeah, it really is like an ocean out there, and these trains only have competition from container ships and cruise liners (well, apart from aircraft - obviously). They function in the same way as a ship, really. Anything that doesn't operate within 200km of the east coast would probably never see any sort of gradient, the rest of the country is so damned flat.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Longest passenger trains in Europe are the Eurostars at 18 cars and 350m.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

BrokenKnucklez posted:

MYO found the head.

I had to cut across a stopped freight train once while hiking. The head and tail were out of sight. I gave it a few minutes to see if it would start moving out of the way, which it didn't. I ended up crossing over the train, specifically avoiding any coupling related gear by making my way across the front end of a box car with a little ledge and what-not on it. Felt sketchy as hell but I tried to do it the safest way possible. I figured that if the train decided to start moving, I would have good warning by hearing the slack being taken up by all the leading cars. Wouldn't recommend.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So UP is moving a special train down to West Colton to move the Big Boy to Cheyenne. The lead locomotive is UP 4014 and the trailing is UP 4884, the two best to do it with.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

iospace posted:

So UP is moving a special train down to West Colton to move the Big Boy to Cheyenne. The lead locomotive is UP 4014 and the trailing is UP 4884, the two best to do it with.

I thought 4014 was the Big Boy.

EDIT: Oh, right, it's UPP 4014 now.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Axeman Jim posted:

Longest passenger trains in Europe are the Eurostars at 18 cars and 350m.

Sweden's longest is apparently longer but fewer cars - 17 cars, 2 locos at 480 meters.