Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not enough pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Godholio posted:

Not enough pictures?

More up to HB's reading level?
http://www.amazon.com/Children-Oregon-Trail-Puffin-Books/dp/0140301720

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hey so Revelation Space is a loving difficult book to read.

sound out the big words, man

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Hey so Revelation Space is a loving difficult book to read.

Just pay attention to what year and where each chapter takes place. Once you figure out a certain location and time means a certain character takes center stage it will read a lot easier.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I actually started watching it a year ago, but someone spoiled Eddard's death and I was like "gently caress this poo poo" since I really liked the character and quit a couple of episodes into season 1. Since then I read the first and second books and spoiled myself by reading a synopsis of the third. Oddly enough knowing who dies lets me just enjoy the absolutely hosed up world GRRM crafted.

Also twincest :pervert:

When I first watched it I knew Ned was going to die (because he's Sean Bean, come on), but I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Just pay attention to what year and where each chapter takes place. Once you figure out a certain location and time means a certain character takes center stage it will read a lot easier.

This is good advice.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm still early in it, maybe 150ish pages, all three of the stories have yet to come together in any serious way. It's just kind of a chore.

In between RS, I'm reading Roadside Picnic which is great and have Alas, Babylon on the way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A good book I grabbed on a whim was the Wool Omnibus. It started out as a couple of short stories, then the author turned it into more of a novel. Some cleverly hosed-up stuff in there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

A good book I grabbed on a whim was the Wool Omnibus. It started out as a couple of short stories, then the author turned it into more of a novel. Some cleverly hosed-up stuff in there.

I just read Wool Part 1 last night. It wasn't bad. Worth the 5 bucks for the rest?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think so. The next section is similar in style, then he writes like a novel, so it's weird. Story is good though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

I think so. The next section is similar in style, then he writes like a novel, so it's weird. Story is good though.

I'm leery of these self-published books. I got burned most recently on The Martian. God that book was loving miserable.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Godholio posted:

The whole series owns.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
I really need to watch GoT from the beginning. My wife has been watching it religiously so I often get spoilered/don't understand wtf is going on.

Though I am glad Geoffrey is dead because gently caress that little poo poo lord human being

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Wool/Second Shift/Dust is a good set of books to buy. Dust ended kinda weak, but it didn't take away from the rest of the series.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

"The infantry sergeant was a solitary drinker who did not believe in cutting corners. Neither did he believe in dilution or wasting money on fancy packaging. He had used all his money to bribe a medical orderly and obtained two carboys of 99 per cent pure grain alcohol, a drum of glucose and saline, and a length of rubber tubing. The ethyl-glucose-saline mixture in carboys had been slung from a rafter over his bunk with the tubing leading to the needle plunged into his arm and taped into place as an intravenous drip. Now he was unmoving, well fed, and completely blind-drunk all the time, and if the metered flow were undisturbed he should stay drunk for two and a half years."

Bill the Galactic Hero/Harry Harrison

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
look at all these book readin faggots up in here

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

tuluk posted:

"The infantry sergeant was a solitary drinker who did not believe in cutting corners. Neither did he believe in dilution or wasting money on fancy packaging. He had used all his money to bribe a medical orderly and obtained two carboys of 99 per cent pure grain alcohol, a drum of glucose and saline, and a length of rubber tubing. The ethyl-glucose-saline mixture in carboys had been slung from a rafter over his bunk with the tubing leading to the needle plunged into his arm and taped into place as an intravenous drip. Now he was unmoving, well fed, and completely blind-drunk all the time, and if the metered flow were undisturbed he should stay drunk for two and a half years."

Bill the Galactic Hero/Harry Harrison

Wikipedia posted:

Harrison reports having been approached by a Vietnam veteran who described Bill as "the only book that's true about the military."

Guess I need to buy this one.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

THEY MADE A SEQUEL TO CONGO?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

USMC503 posted:

I really need to watch GoT from the beginning. My wife has been watching it religiously so I often get spoilered/don't understand wtf is going on.

Though I am glad Geoffrey is dead because gently caress that little poo poo lord human being

Same, but Joffrey deserved worse than that, I wish he got the Theon Greyjoy treatment

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
are tviv goons flippin out about the rape scene yet

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

genderstomper58 posted:

are tviv goons flippin out about the rape scene yet

YUP

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

lol

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

go in and explain how that's just the way things were way back when

:munch:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

lmao of all the things to get morally outraged about in a show where children die on the reg and folks are offed in the most graphic ways possible it's an insufferable bitch everyone hates getting raped that throws them into fits

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

lmao of all the things to get morally outraged about in a show where children die on the reg and folks are offed in the most graphic ways possible it's an insufferable bitch everyone hates getting raped that throws them into fits
by her brother who had no problem throwing a young boy out a window

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Because women. Nevermind Joffrey using a whore for target practice; that's not troubling. But how dare they rape a woman!

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Because women. Nevermind Joffrey using a whore for target practice; that's not troubling. But how dare they rape a woman!
Don't forget Joffrey also threatened to rape a 14 year old girl on her wedding day. It's pretty bad when a whoring drunkard midget is the least morally repugnant member of that family. I don't care. I like the show, and I'll keep watching just to see who ends up killing who.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Also where is the outrage over Dany getting raped on the reg by Drogo until she made him love her through the magic of "woman on top"?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mad Dragon posted:

Don't forget Joffrey also threatened to rape a 14 year old girl on her wedding day. It's pretty bad when a whoring drunkard midget is the least morally repugnant member of that family. I don't care. I like the show, and I'll keep watching just to see who ends up killing who.

Well you're also a reasonable adult who can divorce reality from a narrative where the awful poo poo that happens fits the story.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

yeah but i totally shipped jamie and brienne and this just ruins everything!!! :argh:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Friendly Factory posted:

I actually liked the champion "fight". It was the best outcome they could have had without Belwas. Jaime raping Cersei, however, made this easily the worst episode of the series. The director claims consent at the end of the scene, so I'm thinking it may have just been really really really lovely editing.

rypakal posted:

Nope. He clearly says that's his edit. Don't let any women around that man

:rolleyes: of course I had to go and read the GoT thread.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

never read TVIV.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
we can laugh about it in our circlejerk echochamber now though bc GD and grover are gone so small victories :shobon:

im in new jersey now and ike i can see the empire state building and the new WTC and metlife stadium from work....p cool and the small towns around here aren't too bad :shobon:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Slim Pickens posted:

The weirdest part about that scene was the show somehow made it more rapey than the book which is a loving accomplishment.

Got the new roommates to watch True Detective. They're hooked now. Just watched episode 4 with that crazy rear end action sequence in the ghetto of Houston? Austin? with the bikers. I love this show.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOg25HlBNiU

Crossfit...with guns.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress kettle bells. stupid rear end officers and their crossfit.
edit: hahaha holy gently caress what is the point of that IM UPSIDE DOWN SHOOTING A GUN WOOOOO

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Slagcheek I'm strainin' at the chains on this one

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Snowdens Secret posted:

Slagcheek I'm strainin' at the chains on this one

Don't let the man keep you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room