Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I realized upon re-reading that I had remembered incorrectly is that I had thought Griffith was always pretty detached from/impersonal with the rest of the Band of the Hawk(/Falcon), but he actually seems to form some meaningful bonds with them (like in the bottom right of that picture for example) and seems to legitimately struggle with the decision to sacrifice them all. Doesn't change the fact that he ended up doing so, of course, but he wasn't always super aloof.

Casca talks a bit about this, but he got a less aloof after Guts showed up. He was the one to finally make an impression on Griffith and get him to start opening up to/caring about his comrades, which made her pretty jealous. Also remember that he was supremely good at manipulating people and inspiring confidence. What degree he used that against his own people was never clear, but the Eclipse couldn't have happened unless they were special to him. Otherwise they had no value as sacrifices. Griffith realizing that they were special to him and that Guts had awoken his feelings of love and comradery was a big part of why the Eclipse happened in the first place; he felt like Guts had weakened him and that he needed to fix himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Once again I have to voice how much I love how Griffith's fall into evil was. You know it's coming but it is the longest, most invested build up I've experienced in a while. The final rush from his rescue to his transformation is one of the most intense payoffs ever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

Once again I have to voice how much I love how Griffith's fall into evil was. You know it's coming but it is the longest, most invested build up I've experienced in a while. The final rush from his rescue to his transformation is one of the most intense payoffs ever.

The best part is that it makes you feel seriously bad for Griffith. Everything that happens immediately after his rescue is pretty much rubbing the fact that he'll never be able to attain his dreams in his face. He ends up losing it once he realizes that Guts/Casca are pitying him. I remember some scene where he tries to pick up a sword and can't even lift it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

The best part is that it makes you feel seriously bad for Griffith. Everything that happens immediately after his rescue is pretty much rubbing the fact that he'll never be able to attain his dreams in his face. He ends up losing it once he realizes that Guts/Casca are pitying him. I remember some scene where he tries to pick up a sword and can't even lift it.

Or tries to rape(?) caska and it's just... heartbreaking.

Later less so.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

loli butt

also may 23rd? I do appreciate a good 25th birthday present Miura, thanks!

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

Or tries to rape(?) caska and it's just... heartbreaking.

Later less so.

Didn't he try to kill himself by falling onto a sharp piece of wood, or a branch or something? It seems he failed at all things after being rescued. Except killing all his friends.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Jimmybob posted:

Didn't he try to kill himself by falling onto a sharp piece of wood, or a branch or something? It seems he failed at all things after being rescued. Except killing all his friends.

Failed at that, too. And Guts is going to make him regret it.

kborer
Dec 5, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT SNAKE ROBOTS!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Failed at that, too. And Guts is going to make him regret it.

Great point, though I hope it is Casca who puts an end to Griffith. Thematically we should expect to see Griffith and Guts squaring off on top of a hill again, but something in me just wants to see Casca end up saving Guts in the end.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

kborer posted:

Great point, though I hope it is Casca who puts an end to Griffith. Thematically we should expect to see Griffith and Guts squaring off on top of a hill again, but something in me just wants to see Casca end up saving Guts in the end.

If Casca ever regains her senses I can't see her doing anything besides hating Guts and leaving or killing herself

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Away from plot for a second I'm starting a re-read and wow, did something happen a few chapters in that makes the art a ton better than the very first, pre-Golden Age, arc? Chapter nine ends with Gambino selling Guts to the other merc and chapter ten starts with a huge jump in quality. Were there re-draws for the volume releases or something?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kborer posted:

Dunno, the fact that Casca escaped her fate means that she is indeed special somehow. The problem is that we haven't seen her develop as a character (or warrior) for more than a decade so she suddenly becoming relevant is not going to be an easy thing to write.

Pierson posted:

Away from plot for a second I'm starting a re-read and wow, did something happen a few chapters in that makes the art a ton better than the very first, pre-Golden Age, arc? Chapter nine ends with Gambino selling Guts to the other merc and chapter ten starts with a huge jump in quality. Were there re-draws for the volume releases or something?

Either Miura leveled up or he got more assistants. My guess is the later. As soon as the magazine realized that Berserk was going to be a hit they assigned some more people to him.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

trucutru posted:

Either Miura leveled up or he got more assistants. My guess is the later. As soon as the magazine realized that Berserk was going to be a hit they assigned some more people to him.

If Bakuman taught me anything, they probably gave him a raise, which he went and splurged on assistants instead of pocketing the money.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Pierson posted:

The Golden Age is so amazing that it automatically gave Miura the skills required to draw it, simply because he had the courage to attempt it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Where did the Berserk Prototype leave off / proper manga begin because that would also explain a huge leap in quality.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Where did the Berserk Prototype leave off / proper manga begin because that would also explain a huge leap in quality.

The berserk prototype is the part where guts fights Dracula and stops wearing an eye-patch.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Help! I need the picture of guts wearing a tuxedo. Here are some reference images, I think the picture had a scarface theme to it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That's beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Part2:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Guessing you need to know a bit more about the series to understand that one

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Help, I can't make out the third character of the first word of what Kyuubey is saying on the 4th page. I don't think it's kanji because there appears to be a dakuten or handakuten so it looks like "ボ" or "ポ" but neither of those make sense to me. The first two look like "ワケ." And why is the next thing he says "わからない YO"? Is that supposed to be よ as a particle but written in romaji, or is he telling Guts "YO"? The former seems more likely but I have no idea what that's supposed to convey by writing it like that.

I gave up trying to read the second part by the fourth page.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zogundar posted:

Help, I can't make out the third character of the first word of what Kyuubey is saying on the 4th page. I don't think it's kanji because there appears to be a dakuten or handakuten so it looks like "ボ" or "ポ" but neither of those make sense to me. The first two look like "ワケ." And why is the next thing he says "わからない YO"? Is that supposed to be よ as a particle but written in romaji, or is he telling Guts "YO"? The former seems more likely but I have no idea what that's supposed to convey by writing it like that.

I gave up trying to read the second part by the fourth page.

It's "ga".

"Wake ga wakaranai yo". It's written in different styles to be funny.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I bought the newest Berserk movie and I don't really like the CGI. For anyone who has purchases the other Berserker movies, does the CGI improve at all? I was a bit let down with the whole thing and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I like Berserk too.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Your Friend posted:

I bought the newest Berserk movie and I don't really like the CGI. For anyone who has purchases the other Berserker movies, does the CGI improve at all? I was a bit let down with the whole thing and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I like Berserk too.

Throughout all three movies the cgi transitions from being seamless to jarring but on the whole I think it improves in the second and especially the third.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

It's "ga".

"Wake ga wakaranai yo". It's written in different styles to be funny.

Oh. I see it now.

:doh:

Assuming that's faithful to the original, I never picked up on him having a strange speaking pattern when watching the series/1st movie. That's something that only becomes apparent if I sit down and read it at my pace (If I can make out the handwriting. :downs:)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
So, what is Berserk being crossed with? It seems like I've seen the animal thing before, so I assume it is another popular series.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Madoka Magica.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So someone on Skullknight is doing a "Berserk Redux" mixing the old anime with the movies (with a bit of color correction to try to make it blend at least a bit). He's using the dub because it uses the same voice actors for both. It's gotten their seal of approval, which is pretty difficult since they are the ultimate Berserk sperglords, so if you don't mind the dub seek it out.

From watching a bit of it I realized I actually mind the bad CGI from the first movie way more than the lack of animation in the TV series. Only during the Zodd fight was the CG at all decent.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Zenzirouj posted:

So, what is Berserk being crossed with? It seems like I've seen the animal thing before, so I assume it is another popular series.

Yeah. Like Cake said, Madoka Magica. For context: the girl in the beret has her head bitten off in the original scene, then eaten as her two horrified friends watch. The magical cat-thing is secretly an evil being with an agenda, which is why Guts' brand reacted to it and why he casually fired a round into it while slicing the actual Witch (the doll in the chair).

That's also why him giving her back her hat is :3: she still has the equipment to wear one :haw:

All the animes should have Guts in it.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Literally Kermit posted:

All the animes should have Guts in it.

Guts fixing bullshit parts of manga should be a running joke.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I would read the all out of that kinda series.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

So someone on Skullknight is doing a "Berserk Redux" mixing the old anime with the movies (with a bit of color correction to try to make it blend at least a bit). He's using the dub because it uses the same voice actors for both. It's gotten their seal of approval, which is pretty difficult since they are the ultimate Berserk sperglords, so if you don't mind the dub seek it out.

From watching a bit of it I realized I actually mind the bad CGI from the first movie way more than the lack of animation in the TV series. Only during the Zodd fight was the CG at all decent.

Even both versions combined aren't equal to the task of telling the story properly. There is just too much missing material. Hell, the new movies don't even do the Black Swordsman arc at all, not even the Snake Count if I can remember right.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

FauxGateau posted:

Guts fixing bullshit parts of manga should be a running joke.

Light walks up to the Death Note, Guts shoots it and smacks Light on the back of the head.

YouTuber posted:

Even both versions combined aren't equal to the task of telling the story properly. There is just too much missing material. Hell, the new movies don't even do the Black Swordsman arc at all, not even the Snake Count if I can remember right.

They don't do the Black Swordsman arc, but I can see that being a decent chunk of the next movie since that's what's next in the story.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 1, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I started reading this last week. I'm on the arc with the insect fairies at the moment. I read the arc about Griffith's rebirth while drinking whisky before bed last night and I was plagued with terrible dreams about monster babies when I eventually fell asleep.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
I started Berserk around a month ago and now I am totally immersed. I'm at the arc with the trolls stealing Casca and Farnese and raping a bunch of women, and Serpico being a badass against that giant water horse thing and it's gotta be my favourite arc so far. I also loved Griffith's descent into madness and every time he comes back, it's terrifying. He is the perfect antagonist.

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

mechacop posted:

I started Berserk around a month ago and now I am totally immersed. I'm at the arc with the trolls stealing Casca and Farnese and raping a bunch of women, and Serpico being a badass against that giant water horse thing and it's gotta be my favourite arc so far. I also loved Griffith's descent into madness and every time he comes back, it's terrifying. He is the perfect antagonist.

You should probably slow down so you can get used to a more realistic pace.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Tiger Shark posted:

You should probably slow down so you can get used to a more realistic pace.

yep it took us over a year to get the last chapter.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

GoldenNugget posted:

yep it took us over a year to get the last chapter.

The pace I'm reading at does not affect how I'm enjoying it in the slightest.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mechacop posted:

The pace I'm reading at does not affect how I'm enjoying it in the slightest.

I think what they're saying more is just "enjoy it while it lasts because once you're caught up, it's going to be awhile".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
How often are new chapters out? Guts just got the armour.