Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

My favorite Punisher spec is 3/5/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I have been playing this game for 148 days according to my daily rewards, and I have 2 punisher covers. How do people have so many of these rare covers? Do people buy that many packs?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

I have been playing this game for 148 days according to my daily rewards, and I have 2 punisher covers. How do people have so many of these rare covers? Do people buy that many packs?

If you've been playing for 148 days then you missed the boat. They were practically handing out free Franks during January.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Syrinxx posted:

I've been playing 60 days, and I have 9 Punisher covers. I don't think any have come from tokens, they were all event rewards.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Syrinxx posted:

I think he may have been the first major post-launch character and there was a long time before the next came out. He was the reward for drat-near everything for a while.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You're thinking of Iron Man 40 :madmax:

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

IM40, Punisher, Patch, and most recently lazycap were 3* that the devs practically gave away at one time. However there's only a brief window of opportunity to get them and if you miss out for just a few days you'll miss the bandwagon.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

Snazzy Frocks posted:

From what I read it could be anywhere from 1 hr to 1 day... or it could be bugged right now... If you can't get it to work by around 30 minutes to whatever time the tournaments end for UK people then I'll send in a ticket on your behalf.

Just tried again before I head to sleep and it still won't let me in - same screen/error. I'll try again in the morning, but tournaments end the same time for everyone.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

GoonStyle is now stuck at 11 people cause whoever joined last hasn't bought a slot :( Also we have people who seem to have given up on pvp in general. The whole alliance thing is just terribly implemented because any commander can't be removed, but you can't provide a new slot without being a commander.

e: if a commander stops playing you are kind of hosed which sucks

e2: Yeah it makes sense that you should not be able to kick a dude that improved your alliance. Not sure what the solution is.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 22, 2014

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Syrinxx posted:

GoonStyle is now stuck at 11 people cause whoever joined last hasn't bought a slot :( Also we have people who seem to have given up on pvp in general. The whole alliance thing is just terribly implemented because any commander can't be removed, but you can't provide a new slot without being a commander.

Eh, you should only make someone a commander if they're going to add a slot, and it would be bad to let people kick others out after they'd spent HP to improve the alliance.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Syrinxx posted:

e2: Yeah it makes sense that you should not be able to kick a dude that improved your alliance. Not sure what the solution is.

I wonder if whales charge people to enter their alliance...

"Here's my Pay Pal. Ten bucks, plus the point value. Let me know when you want to game with a winner." :smug:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Syrinxx posted:

That last person wasn't suppose to buy a slot, we just needed an extra person to bump us up to a higher reward tier awhile back. If you want, I can bump somebody if there's somebody who can buy another slot for us. But 1200 HP is alot and nobody seemed interested.

I PMed that guy and he seems to have played the last two days so that's something. He purchased a slot so I don't exactly want to ask him to step down.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Call Me Charlie posted:

That last person wasn't suppose to buy a slot, we just needed an extra person to bump us up to a higher reward tier awhile back. If you want, I can bump somebody if there's somebody who can buy another slot for us. But 1200 HP is alot and nobody seemed interested.

I PMed that guy and he seems to have played the last two days so that's something. He purchased a slot so I don't exactly want to ask him to step down.

I joined pretty early, and have yet to get one. I almost did for 1200 but I was kinda disgruntled buying another slot when there were a couple inactive people at the time. I've since had to buy some more hero slots, and it'll be a little while before I build back up to 1200. I generally place pretty well except for that awful Venom heroic, but if dudes want to drop me it's cool.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I was the PMed inactive guy, I was without wifi for a while and couldn't install the stupid mandatory update because it's too large to download via cellular data. I nabbed it while visiting my folks and now I'm back to playing again.

On the bright side, alliance rewards are bonkers. There's a good chance I'll be able to buy another slot if I don't get any covers I've wanted, like the human torch. I've been getting HPs raining down on me, I already have 900 again

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

Partly luck, partly timing from when I started. On the flip side, my Spider Man has two purple covers and that's it, so he's basically a waste of space.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That and the fact that the lightning rounds USED to offer 3* covers as high placement rewards. Now they're 2* with a small chance of 3*.

The info button on the packs is really enlightening though. Like check out the punisher tokens. 20% chance of Punisher, but no other 3*s, just 2* draws.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
Finally pending again. Can some member of Agents approve me please.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Been grinding up in this Punisher event since I can actually conceivably win it, or at least place very high. Got into second place for now and suddenly all of my available opponents are just maxed out dudes. Including one guy who had a maxed Lazy Thor AND Human Torch.

Who are these people? Where do they come from? How are there so many twenty person alliances? How are there so many that place that high? Are there seriously hundreds and hundreds of people out there willing to drop several hundred dollars on a match 3 game?

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Veryslightlymad posted:

Are there seriously hundreds and hundreds of people out there willing to drop several hundred dollars on a match 3 game?

Candy Crush.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Been grinding up in this Punisher event since I can actually conceivably win it, or at least place very high. Got into second place for now and suddenly all of my available opponents are just maxed out dudes. Including one guy who had a maxed Lazy Thor AND Human Torch.

Who are these people? Where do they come from? How are there so many twenty person alliances? How are there so many that place that high? Are there seriously hundreds and hundreds of people out there willing to drop several hundred dollars on a match 3 game?

I know a few people who dropped literal thousands on FARMVILLE...so yeah.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Veryslightlymad posted:

There was a really good article on game whales in Wired I think it was but I can't find it any more. Basically they are young unmarried men who have very lucrative careers like lawyer/businessman/whatever and see no problem spending hundreds or thousands per month on entertainment. Monetarily it's no different than dropping 10 bills in a titty bar.

edit: here's the article - http://www.wired.com/2012/11/meet-the-whales/all/

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 22, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Veryslightlymad posted:

How are there so many twenty person alliances?

When hundreds of thousands of people play a game, it's kind of inevitable.
You could have a hundred alliances, and yet that would still comprise less than one percent of the player base.

That includes us. Think about that.
I'm lower class and I'm still in a better position than close to 99% of other players.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I just got a black Punisher cover off a standard token from tanking in the Lightning Round. Mine is currently 3/3/3. I'd like him to be 3/5/5 eventually. But I think I'll use it for now.

Tanking my MMR is fun. Its nice to use some mid level heroes I have for a change.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I just wish G.O.O.N. had better participation levels.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Syrinxx posted:

There was a really good article on game whales in Wired I think it was but I can't find it any more. Basically they are young unmarried men who have very lucrative careers like lawyer/businessman/whatever and see no problem spending hundreds or thousands per month on entertainment. Monetarily it's no different than dropping 10 bills in a titty bar.

And here I am still having spent jack and squat on MPQ. Never gonna give them a dime, baby. :getin:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Syrinxx posted:

I'm having *really* mixed feelings after reading this. On the one hand, people like that are the reason we can play games like this for free; on the other hand, they enable assholes like EA to churn out abortions like the Dungeon Keeper remake.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

A.o.D. posted:

Keep an eye out for future AgentsofGOON openings! :sweatdrop:

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy
I just got two black Doom covers back-to-back, one off a Hunt token, and one a standard pull. :psyboom:

Also, I'm looking to join an alliance, who has an opening?

old chubbyknees
Jul 10, 2006
Who bez?
Super Goons still has a spot

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I guess I'm officially getting into whale territory. Lvl 126 5/3/4 Punisher, maxed out 3/5/5 OBW and any other high level character is just crushing other teams. And I'm not getting crabbed like I use to.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A.o.D. posted:

Me too, and having paid 1600 for the slot after mine I can't leave. Daily reward claimed 14 active in the last 24 though.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

After getting three Moonstone covers in one day I decided the game was trying to tell me something and actually recruited her. Am I an idiot?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

head58 posted:

After getting three Moonstone covers in one day I decided the game was trying to tell me something and actually recruited her. Am I an idiot?

I have all 13 covers of her (5/5/3) and I still haven't really found a place where she can be useful.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

old chubbyknees posted:

Super Goons still has a spot

Joined.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Here's a pretty good guide from the official forums on how to progress in this game. It basically talks you through from being a 1 star babby to a 3 star+ whale dickhead whom everyone hates.

It covers heroes, team compositions, synergy, cover builds and everything in between. He's kept the guide up to date and while it does have some quirks (he's been insisting forever that Spider-Man nerfs are imminent), I found it to be very useful.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I have all 13 covers of her (5/5/3) and I still haven't really found a place where she can be useful.
They've had a few Dark Avengers tournaments where she's pretty good because she's the only one who has a red attack stat.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I've found her very useful when paired with Daken. She is also a decent tank.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I keep her around cause I realized she has a scarf/shawl and not a cape and I like that for some dumb reason.
I suppose you could use her against people with countdowns, like Ares/Magneto/Punisher/BP. It's just too bad Control Shift and Photon Blast are such poor abilities.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

HGH posted:

I keep her around cause I realized she has a scarf/shawl and not a cape and I like that for some dumb reason.
I suppose you could use her against people with countdowns, like Ares/Magneto/Punisher/BP. It's just too bad Control Shift and Photon Blast are such poor abilities.

I think I've used Control Shift, like, four times. Ever. I got Moonstone with a standard token really early on and got a lot of use with her but it's dropped off. She's still on my roster for Dark Avengers tourneys and relief duty, but she's not a terrible character by any means. It's just that once you get up into Thor, Wolverine, CStorm, Spidey, OBW, etc. etc. you use her less and less.

Edit: The game should keep track of stats like "Number of Control Shift Uses." "Number of Times You Actually Used Murderous Aim, I Mean Seriously?"

Arschlochkind fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I don't really need her (my usual combo is CStorm/MagNow/Thor all in the 70s) but a) i only have Ares and Dakan for Dark Avengers because gently caress Bullseye and b) oh look my fourth Moonstone in two days what the hell, game?