Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm afraid I have to break kayfabe for a minute here, guys, and admit to something. Filming that scene was awkward, and Lena and I had to really build upon the trust we've created between one another over the years of this series to get through it. True, we haven't shared much screentime, but ultimately I think the performance speaks for itself and will stand as a memorable moment of the series no matter which way you fall on it.

Yes, my fellow Wild Cards, I am Charles Dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Loved you in Last Action Hero

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Fog Tripper posted:

"butterfly effect"

What the christ?

That's been his go-to term to describe the ramifications of all the little changes the show makes, and how they have to make increasingly bigger changes to accommodate the little changes they have already made.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

80 posts about rape, man that takes me back.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Loved you in Last Action Hero

I believe you will find, as I have in recent years, that my performance in Ali G Indahouse is most likely the utter pinnacle of my career. Every role since has been but a pale, tawdry imitation of those eighty-five minutes of thespian brilliance.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Jaime's been in kings landing for a week instead of 2 seconds, therefore: RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm afraid I have to break kayfabe for a minute here, guys, and admit to something. Filming that scene was awkward, and Lena and I had to really build upon the trust we've created between one another over the years of this series to get through it. True, we haven't shared much screentime, but ultimately I think the performance speaks for itself and will stand as a memorable moment of the series no matter which way you fall on it.

Yes, my fellow Wild Cards, I am Charles Dance.

When you get shot at the shitter, will there be a turd hanging out of your rear end?

Are you reading anything when you are there?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Those "Worst rated" comments on that article (4th tab) are actually pretty on the money.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

In It For The Tank posted:

That's been his go-to term to describe the ramifications of all the little changes the show makes, and how they have to make increasingly bigger changes to accommodate the little changes they have already made.

So basically down the line we'll have zero sympathy for Jamie whatsoever. May as well run that poo poo into the ground, seeing as HBO will be yanking the reins away from the fat pasty absolute fucker soon enough.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Well, it's certainly accurate about Gurm.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Welp, FYAD's new title sure is a thing.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

I'm almost positive he says "the red god". Also, Melisandre and Thoros both say valar morghulis - I'm pretty sure they are combined for the purposes of the show. We'll see I guess, how close is Arya to Braavos?

I think the show's covered most of what she did in Westeros already so they could have her hopping on that boat next episode if they wanted to. The only big thing that hasn't happened is Hound getting stabbed to near death but maybe they're gonna change that.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Contra Calculus posted:

That's been there for a couple of weeks. I was hoping for a new one. Like 'Bran becomes a time travelling tree'.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Contra Calculus posted:

That's not even new, I was hoping it might have a reference to the rape now since the spoiler's been there since 2(?) weeks ago.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Let's be honest: anything to do with this series is a reference to the rape in some way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I believe you will find, as I have in recent years, that my performance in Ali G Indahouse is most likely the utter pinnacle of my career. Every role since has been but a pale, tawdry imitation of those eighty-five minutes of thespian brilliance.

A comment on the live journal comment regarding the Jaime rape scene.

someone who doesn't know a lot about GRRM posted:

thankYou sir, I really appreciate that you're always there for your readers <3
http://grrm.livejournal.com/367116.html?thread=19030284#t19030284

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Junkenstein posted:

A loving time travelling tree. Still gets me every time.

God, I going to regret asking thing but: seriously? A time traveling tree? Not like an Ent or anything? Just a tree?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

God, I going to regret asking thing but: seriously? A time traveling tree? Not like an Ent or anything? Just a tree?

A heavily foreshadowed heart tree. That can see whatever any other heart tree can or could have seen. Not actually time travelling, I hope.

Every time Sansa or Ned or whoever goes into the godswoods and feels someone watching them it's probably Bran, or whatever was there before Bran.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
he's not a time travelling tree, he is a tree-based(heh) data storage and retrieval system

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I think it's pretty neat that he managed to work cyberpunk elements into a low (secretly high?) fantasy story without it being too obvious or shoehorny.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That's actually a pretty cool way of looking at it.

Final book will have him breaking free and wrecking poo poo as a giant wood-based version of that computer woman from the end of Superman 3.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

That's actually a pretty cool way of looking at it.

Final book will have him breaking free and wrecking poo poo as a giant wood-based version of that computer woman from the end of Superman 3.

ehh ender's game 3 or whatever did it already

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Look at you, Targaryaen. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my Godswood. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal treeguy?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

^^^^
Holy :lol: Still sad I missed dummy mcrapechat guy.

I've always appreciated Bran's arc, there I said it. It was the fall that hooked me on the books, and him becoming heart tree master and also probably sentient hivemind murder of crows isn't too shabby for what's usually a goofy sidekick brother in these sorts of books.

(yeah okay, he's Ender, but still)

(I have no idea I've never read any Card because gently caress that guy)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bran getting thrown off the room certainly hooked me but I dunno if I've really cared for his story since then, except for how he's gonna be a source for a bunch of background exposition which I look forward to.

Also, he's not ender, he's ender's sentient computer program friend which stores itself in a bunch of trees (which grow from dead bears) when her computer is gonna get shut off.

...I can't make that poo poo up, and I read those books before I read anything card wrote about the real world(pre-911 for sure).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If he's Ender which species is he going to xenocide and which one will he mope around about them being misunderstood?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They're pigs not bears! Wait, penny... Dear god.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

They're pigs not bears! Wait, penny... Dear god.

wow shows how well I remember, i'm letting my original post stand

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The fight in the snow where Bran and Co get into treetown was actually the best written action scene in all ten million pages of this stupid series. And I also think that part of the story is going to involve cool stuff even if it's dumb in and of itself right now.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

everything will be worth it if they don't cock up the tower of joy scene and make it all about lyanna

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Speaking of which, has Cristin Milioti been cast as Lyanna yet

(since she's Jon's mother and all, har har)

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I look forward to the Tower of Joy scene being totally irrelevant and never mentioned again in the series.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I can't remember if I like Bran's story or not, since we've had two (three?) chapters in the last 11 years.

Show will need to spread that cool wight attack scene over a whole season.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Was Coldhands cast this season?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

IRQ posted:

80 posts about rape, man that takes me back.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I heard two guys talking about rape on the street today and just assumed it was in the context of Game of Thrones. I guess those two things are inextricably linked in my mind now.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aurain posted:

A comment on the live journal comment regarding the Jaime rape scene.
http://grrm.livejournal.com/367116.html?thread=19030284#t19030284

absolute asshai posted:

Now, if you please, I'd appreciate it if we could get back to Junot Diaz and Anne Perry and the subjects of the original post.

Yeah sorry too much "Game of Thrones" talk here, let us get back to you shilling some poo poo no one cares about...

also this:

absolute asshai posted:

We're putting up a sample from THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE on my website, to join the samples from the next Wild Cards book (LOWBALL) and of course from WINDS OF WINTER (Mercy). It's a short excerpt from the section of Aegon's Conquest, complete with some kickass art.

And by the way, those of you who read only this Live Journal -- and there are a lot of you -- should check out my actual website some time. There's loads of interesting material there, from news stories to biography and bibliography and sections on my toy knights.

Anyway, do hope you all enjoy the Aegon piece. It will be up on the morrow.

WILDCARDS SAMPLE MOTHER FUCKERS!

quote:

That evening, as he lay staring at the ceiling, his mind crowded with thoughts, his door cracked open. Of all the things he might have imagined would step through the door, the girl that slid into view wasn’t one of them.

As far as he could tell she was a nat. A jaw-droppingly beautiful one. Beauty wafted in with her like a scent that he inhaled through his eyes. Fashion model-slim, firm and soft in the right places. She wore jeans so tight they looked like she’d been dipped into them. Her shirt opened all the way down the front, a gauzy-thin, semi-transparent material. He could just see the curves of her breasts. Her large eyes were spaced widely, but they were more striking for it. Icy blue, sparkling, they studied him with a frankness that set his heart racing.

“I am for you tonight,” she said. “You must have fought well, yes?”

Marcus couldn’t say a word.

She considered him for a long moment, and then asked, “Is your tongue really black?”

Marcus had never heard a sexier question.

Her name was Olena. She sat beside him on his bed. The threads in the stitching of her jeans sparkled gold when she moved. She was Ukrainian, from a city called Poltava. “You know it?”

Marcus pursed his lips, frowned as if he was trying to place Poltava.

“It’s on the Vorskla,” she said. Her accent reminded him of when his sister used to imitate Natasha Fatale from the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons. It would almost have been funny, except that she was too earnest, too beautiful, for him to possibly laugh at. “Is a river. Vorskla. You should know it.” She punctuated this by stabbing out her small hand and slapping him on the shoulder. “You live in New York, yes?”

Marcus nodded. He almost specified Jokertown, but the name died on his tongue.

“Do you know famous persons?”

“Not really.” Seeing disappointment in the way she bit the corner of her lip, he added, “I… I’m a little bit famous.” He chose not to say ‘infamous’.

“What makes you famous? Are you rapper?”

“Ah… no.” He had no idea what to say. He was famous for beating up a crooked cop? For living in sewers? For roaming around at night looking for thugs? “Just for… getting in trouble.”

This seemed to please her. She laughed and swayed into him. “You’re bad boy, aren’t you? I can tell you are!” Her head dipped coyly. For a moment her face was hidden behind a screen of her long black hair. Then she parted her hair with a hand, scooped it clear and swiped it over her shoulder. “Show me your tongue.”

Initially, Marcus refused, but she insisted. She seemed fascinated, first staring into this open mouth and then making him demonstrate his talent. She clapped with pleasure when he shot his tongue out and nailed the far wall.

“Is you’re ‘little snake’ as long as that?” she asked, sliding a hand over his torso.

Marcus felt an instant erection press against the scales of his groin.

She pulled her hand away and changed the subject. “Where would you take me in New York?”

An easy enough question, but it stumped him. Where would he take her?

“Not just your apartment,” she cautioned. “Not just there. I need to see places. United Nations. Broadway. Liberty Statue. Where else?”

To his relief, she didn’t make him answer the question. She went on talking about the places she wanted to see. Not just in New York, but at random points all across America. Marcus tried to listen, but he couldn’t understand who or what she was. Where had she come from? How was it possible that she was sitting here on his bed chatting with him like it was the most normal thing in the world? Why was she speaking as if they had a future together, filled with voyages to amazing places? He wanted to know, but he didn’t want to ask. Asking might kill whatever spell he was living in.

“Are you a good man?” she asked.

Marcus’s stomach knotted. “I try to be.”

“I know you are. I can see it in you. You won’t hurt me, will you?”

“No, I would never-”

“Asmodeus is not a good man. He hurts me. He wins and then hurts me. I say I don’t want to go to him but he always chooses me. That’s not so good for me. A better thing is that you fight and win and have me. Be a monster at fighting. A monster for me. Then we will do things to make you happy. All the things you want. You know what I mean.”

His face must’ve indicated that he didn’t.

Olena slipped off the bed on to her knees, sliding her hands across his scales. She smiled and whispered, “I show you.”

kcroy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 23, 2014

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

So is it out yet

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smiling Jack posted:

So is it out yet

Actually yes, been out since the holidays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

i made my first post in a SA GRRM thread nine years ago

please

please

end it

end everything