Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

How strange. Julian Day seems ro have his days mixed up. I went to see him, as its Easter Sunday, and he is telling me to call my mother. Silly man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wow, Troy Baker really has been working on his Mark Hammil impression. I had to imdb to see if it was Hammil or not.

I understand why they went with Baker for Assault on Arkham since it's in the Arkhamverse, but I'd rather not have him reprise the role past that. His performance in Origins was great, but I like seeing what different voice actors (John DiMaggio, Michael Emerson, etc.) bring to the role in DC's animated features. Besides, the dude's too good a voice actor to wind up a typecast imitator of Hammil.

As for DC animated movies, I watched Justice League: War and Son of Batman recently. It seems like Dark Knight Returns is their high point for quality (plot and acting) since every adaptation since seems to be getting more and more like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Hopefully Cold, Cold Heart can hold me over until October when Arkham Knight gets released. I'll probably replay Asylum and City before then, too. I'd really love for those to get PS4 re-releases if it meant slightly better visuals than the PS3 versions.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Were the PS3 versions gimped graphically? I only have Asylum on the PlayStation, and I haven't played it in years.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mogomra posted:

Were the PS3 versions gimped graphically? I only have Asylum on the PlayStation, and I haven't played it in years.

Compared to PC? Hell yes they are.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mogomra posted:

They're both really strong graphically, but I figure on PS4 they'd be comparable to playing them on a good gaming PC with maxed settings.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Mogomra posted:

The PC versions had more work done than a lot of console ports, with things like tessellation and a variety of PhysX effects beyond the expected 1080p60 that look really amazing. PS4 ports would absolutely be worth doing.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

The PC versions had more work done than a lot of console ports, with things like tessellation and a variety of PhysX effects beyond the expected 1080p60 that look really amazing. PS4 ports would absolutely be worth doing.

Why when there is a PC version and you can easily find previous copies on last gen consoles? It's not like a port would sell very well.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

Why when there is a PC version and you can easily find previous copies on last gen consoles? It's not like a port would sell very well.

Because plenty of people don't play games on PC and it would be a shame if the work that went into the PC ports was only ever seen by those who did? And I say this as someone who has a GTX770 rig.

And the ports wouldn't need to sell well, given how cheap they would be to port from PC to PS4. Whoever did the port wouldn't even have to put up with changing architectures. Port over the 3 games and their DLC, sell them in a collection for $60, people would totally buy that. HD re-releases aren't a new thing.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

BreakAtmo posted:

Because plenty of people don't play games on PC and it would be a shame if the work that went into the PC ports was only ever seen by those who did? And I say this as someone who has a GTX770 rig.

And the ports wouldn't need to sell well, given how cheap they would be to port from PC to PS4. Whoever did the port wouldn't even have to put up with changing architectures. Port over the 3 games and their DLC, sell them in a collection for $60, people would totally buy that. HD re-releases aren't a new thing.

Also to really ramp some of the PC specific features (particularly physX to high) you really need a bit of a beast of a PC. I also have a 770GTX and the combination of maxed out PhysX, Vsync, and tesselation definately caused issues in a couple of places (In particular the massive amount of floppy paper objects around in the final prison area in Origins.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

ShineDog posted:

Also to really ramp some of the PC specific features (particularly physX to high) you really need a bit of a beast of a PC. I also have a 770GTX and the combination of maxed out PhysX, Vsync, and tesselation definately caused issues in a couple of places (In particular the massive amount of floppy paper objects around in the final prison area in Origins.

Not to mention all those sweet snow effects. You're quite right - I imagine that a more directly optimised PS4 version properly using the system's GPGPU capabilities could manage that sort of thing without needing quite as much brute force.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I bought the season pass this weekend on a xboxlive sale and started to click things to download. Apparently not everything is included in the season pass because I ended up spending a $1.60 on a batsuit set. I guess it could have been worse, and I now have a whole wardrobe for B-man to wear now, though Heart of Ice was the only thing I was really interested in.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Shnag posted:

I bought the season pass this weekend on a xboxlive sale and started to click things to download. Apparently not everything is included in the season pass because I ended up spending a $1.60 on a batsuit set. I guess it could have been worse, and I now have a whole wardrobe for B-man to wear now, though Heart of Ice was the only thing I was really interested in.

I think all the batsuit sets are already in the season pass, meaning that you probably just bought it twice.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Weird, because initiation showed up as free. But one of the downloads got corrupted and I deleted it all to download it again, maybe it charged me the second time around. At least the screw up happened with something cheap rather then me being charged twice for the season pass or something. Still annoying though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Cold Heart seems to be around 2 hours. I maaay have watched large chunks of it on youtube. *cough*

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

Cold Heart seems to be around 2 hours. I maaay have watched large chunks of it on youtube. *cough*

HQR for Arkham City was about 1-1.5 I think, so that seems alright.

I just hope it's a little more interesting than HQR.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Keeku posted:

HQR for Arkham City was about 1-1.5 I think, so that seems alright.

I just hope it's a little more interesting than HQR.
If anything, it'll be worth it for more of Maurice LaMarche's savory dulcet tones.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
At the very least, there's going to be at least one more type of the enemy, the ice ray thugs shown in that video of the first 30 minutes. Plus they showed the predator section where you're just Bruce Wayne. HQR just gave the thugs new costumes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thanks, Predator guides that said rooms were Hard that were actually Medium (I know the real issue here is the Challenge system).

Dr Christmas posted:

At the very least, there's going to be at least one more type of the enemy, the ice ray thugs shown in that video of the first 30 minutes. Plus they showed the predator section where you're just Bruce Wayne. HQR just gave the thugs new costumes.
The Joker Robots in HQR were new weren't they?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This isn't really a spoiler, more stuff you can tell just by the trailers.

Unlike Harley Quinn's Revenge, most of Cold Heart is in brand new environments that look great. Outside of the fun Robin sections, so much of HQR felt like a retread. Its not exactly bad, but most of that DLC is pretty underwhelming.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

I hope Batman is less of a dick to Victor this time around. I know he was essentially a dead man on his feet in arkham city, but the way Batman tortured Mr.Freeze after penguin cooked him was too over the top. Have him show some compassion like the batman in the TAS. Show that Gordon isn't trying to capture batman because he does net good, rather then batman being so terrifying unstoppable there is no point in trying and just be glad he just punches cops in the face most of the time rather then all of the time.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Thanks, Predator guides that said rooms were Hard that were actually Medium (I know the real issue here is the Challenge system).

The Joker Robots in HQR were new weren't they?

Unless they did something unique that I'm not remembering, then they were just re-textured Wonder City robots (although you never fought them in the main game).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shnag posted:

I hope Batman is less of a dick to Victor this time around. I know he was essentially a dead man on his feet in arkham city, but the way Batman tortured Mr.Freeze after penguin cooked him was too over the top.

I think that's Batman's whole thing. Regardless of whether he sympathizes with someone, he has to be an uncompromising rear end in a top hat. Batman is a symbol of unrelenting fear and unwavering justice. If he lets on for a second that there's a thinking, feeling person behind the persona, his mystique evaporates.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phylodox posted:

I think that's Batman's whole thing. Regardless of whether he sympathizes with someone, he has to be an uncompromising rear end in a top hat. Batman is a symbol of unrelenting fear and unwavering justice. If he lets on for a second that there's a thinking, feeling person behind the persona, his mystique evaporates.

I think you can still have him be sympathetic while also committed to stopping crime. There's a nice moment in "Heart of Ice" when Freeze has him trapped and Conroy gives a great read of "I saw what happened to your wife. I'm sorry." And since Origins seems to crib from the Nolan films more than the other Arkham games, you've also got that great moment in Batman Begins where Ducard tells Bruce Wayne that compassion is a weakness his enemies won't share, but Wayne says that's why it's so important. And even though those movies really emphasize Batman as intimidating criminals, they still have that compassionate beat. The Animated Series always cemented Batman as a compassionate force for justice to me, so I like seeing shades of that in other media.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Phylodox posted:

But he does nice, kind things all the time in other Batman media, from the comics to the TV series right through the Nolan films. I want to believe Batman is basically a nice guy...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mr. Flunchy posted:

But he does nice, kind things all the time in other Batman media, from the comics to the TV series right through the Nolan films. I want to believe Batman is basically a nice guy...

To be fair, she was going to die before she would have a chance to tell anyone.

And, yeah, I've said before that Batman's characterization is so varied over the years that just about any personality can be attributed to him. I thought it went without saying, but I should have specified that I meant the Arkham series Batman specifically. He's confronted with all kinds of overwhelming odds and seemingly insurmountable enemies, but he never shows the slightest hesitation or uncertainty because he can't. Origins lays it out explicitly, "If I stop of falter even for one moment, everything I've spent my whole life building falls apart." In the Arkham series Batman can't afford to seem compassionate, even for a second, even if he's working towards the greater good or showing compassion behind the scenes. After all, you can choose to find Nora for Freeze.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Best DCAU Batman moment, right here.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Phylodox posted:

To be fair, she was going to die before she would have a chance to tell anyone.

And, yeah, I've said before that Batman's characterization is so varied over the years that just about any personality can be attributed to him.

Too true.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ha, that was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Awwww yiss

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just been playing it for about the last half hour. Quite good so far. It opens in Wayne Manor and then you head out into the city for a bit.

No idea what's next because i forgot how much fun it is to beat the poo poo out of mooks.

They've kind of ramped up the assholery feeling though. The stuff the mooks have said so far is really :smith: and then i come along and ruin their day.

When one of them said "I really hate you" as i drop kicked him into a wall, and i felt his pain because not 30 seconds earlier he told his buddy he wanted out because he'd just gotten married.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I understand why they went with Baker for Assault on Arkham since it's in the Arkhamverse, but I'd rather not have him reprise the role past that. His performance in Origins was great, but I like seeing what different voice actors (John DiMaggio, Michael Emerson, etc.) bring to the role in DC's animated features. Besides, the dude's too good a voice actor to wind up a typecast imitator of Hammil.
Its kind of funny how many characters in the Arkhamverse that Troy has voiced, I mean first he was Two-Face and Robin, now the Joker, hell I think he could be a great Batman if they let him.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Got through the first two parts, now I'm back into the city to get the Cryo-drill. At least it looks like it'll run longer than HQR.

This is basically a re-telling of Heart of Ice which is nice. Bruce isn't such an rear end in a top hat sounding jerk in the intro too. Wondering if you can freeroam for all the collectables afterwards, that's what I didn't like about HQR.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh, goodie. I've been hit by the infinite falling bug in My Alibi, in the DLC. Now whenever I load my save I'm just falling forever in a black void.

I guess I'll get back to this one day, I really don't feel like re-starting the DLC after playing for that long.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

Oh, goodie. I've been hit by the infinite falling bug in My Alibi, in the DLC. Now whenever I load my save I'm just falling forever in a black void.

I guess I'll get back to this one day, I really don't feel like re-starting the DLC after playing for that long.
Looks like a few people are getting that same bug on the Steam forums. Oh boy!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I checked for this on the Playstation Store and it's not up yet. I guess it's just out for PC on Steam so far?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

achillesforever6 posted:

Its kind of funny how many characters in the Arkhamverse that Troy has voiced, I mean first he was Two-Face and Robin, now the Joker, hell I think he could be a great Batman if they let him.

He's already voiced Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjEY51aGS4Q

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

It was out on the 360 for a few hours at least.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Veotax posted:

I was unable to complete a predator section because a goon walked through a wall into the infinite abyss under the map.

Also, ice ray guys are the worst addition to Arkham combat ever.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is that interviewer a dude or a chick? I can't tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

chaosapiant posted:

Is that interviewer a dude or a chick?

Yes.

• Locked thread