Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Suddenly Chinese... Chinese everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
As if there weren't enough invasions already, you just had to mod in an extra one, huh?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
This timelines Chinese nationalists are going to be completely insane...I mean, you know, more so. :china:

Rejected Fate posted:

...Huh. Isn't it possible for a non-Sayyid or Sayyid descended Muslim to create the Sunni Caliphate IF they have all of the holy sites and ridiculous Prestige/Piety.

Because it seems like this guy might be able to do that soon.

He's a genius who just ended a six hundred year war for control of Spain, a four hundred year war for control of the Levant, and a two hundred year war for control of Antioch while obliterating every Mongol force in Europe.

This guy is basically Saladin, Suleiman I, Zheng He, Charles V and Gamal Abdel Nasser all rolled in to one. Well, unless I read this wrong and he's really medieval ultra Hitler. I guess it could go either way?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I will say this about the Ming Frontier: Think of it more like occupied territory in HoI (uh, I heard that's how it worked in HoI, anyway) or MotE or whatever than a single empire that will just be exported wholesale to EU4 as a giant Ming blob.

I'll also say this about Ming Frontier: I totally didn't expect the AI to just go for Spain— I expected it to follow a route more like what the Timurids do, since Ming Events were based on/replace the Timurid ones. In test games it tended to work like that, anyway.

This time... um... Chang Yuchun had other ideas. I'm not sure if he just went mad with power because I gave him more event stacks or if it was because Al-Jabir still had some of León from a jihad a while back.

But, having finished the game, the results wound up being a really interesting narrative I'm looking forward to writing up a lot. Much like Chang Yuchun, the character in the written updates, exceeded his mandate from the Hongwu Emperor, so too did Chang Yuchun, the element of my ByzLP support mod, exceed his intended purpose in the LP.

I'll write more about some of the strange things that happened in-game that wound up feeding into the narrative after we've made it through the last few CK2 updates.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I personally like the idea of him going mad with power.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

The Phanariote Committee

Tachat II "the Brigand" Qutuzid, 51

Well I, for one, welcome our new Cathayan neighbours. Their state seems to be as secular as our own, and while they did conquer Holy Antioch they also wrested it from the hands of the Gauhar Ayin Shahdom and brought it back to civilization, even if not our own. Not only that they also seem to plan on bringing stability to the war-wrecked Iberia, subjugating Orthodox and Muslim alike and bringing them all into the fold as subjects of the Ming Emperor of the East.

I only hope their future lies in the further conquest of Arabia and Iberia. To have a state like their own next to ours would be a blessing. Two mighty, secular Empires taking power away from the Islamic Zealots that now wrack the countryside. It's like the stuff of legends! Basilissa, Senators, I would see us seeking further co-operation with the Cathay Frontier. Only together can we bring power away from the Church and back into the State, back to the people and those who lead them.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Is there any chance we can still reinstate the roman empire? :(
Also the only thing we need now is the Aztec invasion of Europe from that one expansion, and we're good to go on "messed up history".

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Samuel posted:

Is there any chance we can still reinstate the roman empire? :(
Also the only thing we need now is the Aztec invasion of Europe from that one expansion, and we're good to go on "messed up history".

OOC: If I read the Rincewind's Fluff right, not really. It seems the Roman Empire is an idea that has been all but officially abandoned, left behind in history ("As it should be!", -Tachat II) and seen to as inspiration from the past rather than dream of the future. But still, I'll leave that one up to Rincewind and the Fluff of the LP, seeing as how things might still turn bonkers from where we now are and really have poo poo hitting fans as far as the eyes can see.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Given that we have like, a decade left: no, oh, hell no. We need all of Italy, Africa east of Tunis and the holy land.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Too bad our foolish Empress has nixed the idea of assassinating threats.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rincewind posted:

This time... um... Chang Yuchun had other ideas. I'm not sure if he just went mad with power because I gave him more event stacks or if it was because Al-Jabir still had some of León from a jihad a while back.

This seems like a thing that happens if you take a very Laissez-Faire stance towards your subordinates, like he gave command of an army to one of the generals under him, told him to go use it as they saw fit, then that guy went and started conquering stuff in Iberia. Chang Yuchun probably isn't even personally aware of that conquest.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

YF-23 posted:

This seems like a thing that happens if you take a very Laissez-Faire stance towards your subordinates, like he gave command of an army to one of the generals under him, told him to go use it as they saw fit, then that guy went and started conquering stuff in Iberia. Chang Yuchun probably isn't even personally aware of that conquest.

"In accordance with your orders, we have taken large parts of the province of Hispania, which borders the Mediterranean sea."

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

NewMars posted:

Given that we have like, a decade left: no, oh, hell no. We need all of Italy, Africa east of Tunis and the holy land.

This is a really good thing. When Kiev-Byzantium happened I was worried we'd move into EU4 with everything from Alexandria to Novrogod under our dominion, which would make for a boring game.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

occipitallobe posted:

This is a really good thing. When Kiev-Byzantium happened I was worried we'd move into EU4 with everything from Alexandria to Novrogod under our dominion, which would make for a boring game.

This is a misapprehension. The story matters more than the territory, and being weaker is just that, less able to have an impact.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

occipitallobe posted:

Plus it's highly likely we would have transferred over with Kiev in a PU and maybe Sicily as a vassal kingdom, if not more decentralization.

Also, did Rincewind look up killed Valeria III and Tsar Yaroslav yet? Because if not, that could be interesting to know.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

AJ_Impy posted:

This is a misapprehension. The story matters more than the territory, and being weaker is just that, less able to have an impact.

If you're really into a story of "and then we blobbed up even bigger," I suppose. After a certain point the game just gets too easy and there's only one direction for the narrative to go, really.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Adept Nightingale posted:

If you're really into a story of "and then we blobbed up even bigger," I suppose. After a certain point the game just gets too easy and there's only one direction for the narrative to go, really.

Taking a multinational blob from CKII to EUIV is rarely that simple or easy, as you aren't the only blob on the map and the others are right there in your face. Even if we had reclaimed the empire, it still wouldn't be the kind of cakewalk you fear.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Fair enough, I suppose. That said I'm much happier with how things have gone-- decline like this is a really interesting narrative I haven't seen much in CK2 LPs.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Luhood posted:

The Phanariote Committee

Tachat II "the Brigand" Qutuzid, 51

Well I, for one, welcome our new Cathayan neighbours. Their state seems to be as secular as our own, and while they did conquer Holy Antioch they also wrested it from the hands of the Gauhar Ayin Shahdom and brought it back to civilization, even if not our own. Not only that they also seem to plan on bringing stability to the war-wrecked Iberia, subjugating Orthodox and Muslim alike and bringing them all into the fold as subjects of the Ming Emperor of the East.

I only hope their future lies in the further conquest of Arabia and Iberia. To have a state like their own next to ours would be a blessing. Two mighty, secular Empires taking power away from the Islamic Zealots that now wrack the countryside. It's like the stuff of legends! Basilissa, Senators, I would see us seeking further co-operation with the Cathay Frontier. Only together can we bring power away from the Church and back into the State, back to the people and those who lead them.

Ah, yes, the Chinese have, without provocation, sacked and conquered every nation around us and some further away, but surely they will be dear friends to us!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Taking a multinational blob from CKII to EUIV is rarely that simple or easy, as you aren't the only blob on the map and the others are right there in your face. Even if we had reclaimed the empire, it still wouldn't be the kind of cakewalk you fear.

except Greece and Turkey are worth more than the whole of north Africa. My Byzantium game was converted with Greece, Turkey, Georgia, with Croatia and Hungary as vassals. It had double the income of my closest rival, a Caliphate of Syria, Jerusalem, and the whole of North Africa. The Muslim powers get Armageddon conversion, and will only be strengthened.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

NewMars posted:

We'd also need the land connection to Italy, via Croatia, Slovenia, and Aquila--all of which the HRE holds right now. Rome isn't happening. In order to actually restore Rome you either need to ignore role-playing and go gung-ho for it even if you get a contented pacifist, or be extremely careful with ruler development. It also requires that your Douxes not try to tear the process apart for their own gain, which is virtually impossible. The only solution to that is killing Douxes. This is a feature, not a bug.

Incidentally, I have yet to see a game where Islam doesn't fly completely to pieces.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

On the bright side, now that Iberia is hosed to pieces, we essentially have no real rival for Blood in the Bosphorus: New World Adventures.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

On the bright side, now that Iberia is hosed to pieces, we essentially have no real rival for Blood in the Bosphorus: New World Adventures.

Only if we choose to not occupy the OE's space in the timeline as an expansionist Near-East power.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

The Chinese might disagree. Scotland and France as well.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Patter Song posted:

The Chinese might disagree. Scotland and France as well.

The Scottish have even had a few centuries of practice on the Irish!

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
:iceburn:

I hope we can rake in some serious wealth in the coming ten years and I'm waiting in excitement to see if we can still become a serious super power. Theres so many lands we still have to take!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Rincewind posted:

The Scottish have even had a few centuries of practice on the Irish!

About a year ago, I read a fascinating thing discussing the Spanish conquest of the Canaries Islands (which took place over the course of about 90 years of campaigns) as a dry run for the conquest of the New World, getting the Spaniards used to fighting distant campaigns against forces with far inferior military technology but mastery of the lay of the land. It's an interesting argument.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
I have a feeling our early EU4 game is 'gently caress with the Chinese conquests while we set up shop in Iberia/Morocco and tech up'.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rincewind posted:

I will say this about the Ming Frontier: Think of it more like occupied territory in HoI (uh, I heard that's how it worked in HoI, anyway) or MotE or whatever than a single empire that will just be exported wholesale to EU4 as a giant Ming blob.

I'll also say this about Ming Frontier: I totally didn't expect the AI to just go for Spain— I expected it to follow a route more like what the Timurids do, since Ming Events were based on/replace the Timurid ones. In test games it tended to work like that, anyway.

But, having finished the game, the results wound up being a really interesting narrative I'm looking forward to writing up a lot. Much like Chang Yuchun, the character in the written updates, exceeded his mandate from the Hongwu Emperor, so too did Chang Yuchun, the element of my ByzLP support mod, exceed his intended purpose in the LP.

I'll write more about some of the strange things that happened in-game that wound up feeding into the narrative after we've made it through the last few CK2 updates.

To be fair, if you can hand-wave away the logistical nightmare that a campaign across the Steppe would entail, there is really no way that the European feudal structure would have fielded militaries capable of resisting the Ming dynasty at their zenith. After all, the Ming were stronger than the Song, and it took the Mongols more time to conquer the southern half of the Song dynasty than all of their other conquests put together. The mongols that rode west to conquer the rest of the world gave Europe and the Middle East a taste of what it was like to fight a force honed by conflict with the best of the best, and now the Ming dynasty has simply cut out that middleman.

I totally want this to be another CK2 DLC!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dibujante posted:

I totally want this to be another CK2 DLC!

Because the eastern half of the map needs to get hosed over even more.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

So if our Chinese horde 'exceeded his mandate', does that mean he's potentially going to see negative events fire in EU4 or just hella revolt risk?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Because the eastern half of the map needs to get hosed over even more.

Yes. That, and anachronistic Japanese wokou pirates pillaging the mega-Somalian merchant republic that crops up in every game of RoI now.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Dibujante posted:

Yes. That, and anachronistic Japanese wokou pirates pillaging the mega-Somalian merchant republic that crops up in every game of RoI now.

Wait, really? I've not had much of a chance to play RoI, and I'm not sure whether to interpret this as literally "capitalist mega-Somalia" or just that you get absurdly powerful merchant republics in the Red Sea and Indian Ocean. I mean, the latter makes sense, but I don't know enough about any new things they might've put in that favours the formation of Somalian republics.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I imagine a Chinese/East Asian DLC would be the last most obvious thing to put in, and easier than extending the map any further south. China could be interesting as a hotbed of imperial collapse and reformation if breakaway kingdoms essentially have a Seeking the Mandate CB that basically drives them to war on one another until a unified China has coalesced. Plus you could have the Mongols actually coming out of Mongolia.

Japan would be a bit boring for the first few hundred years but then it'd get interesting too.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

They're probably better off giving flavor to stuff that exists (People that aren't Catholic/Orthodox/Sunni/Norse) before thinking about map expansions.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

Japan would be a bit boring for the first few hundred years but then it'd get interesting too.

Heian period is ridiculously cool, though. The tension between the Imperial family and their Fujiwara masters would be great: think of the potential of having an Emperor player character bucking under the rule that he must marry a Fujiwara woman and that his father in law become Prime Minister. Not to mention the potential in the mechanic of Emperors resigning, feeling that they'd have more control and ability to buck the Fujiwaras as ex-Emperors advising their successors than as Emperors. You have religion and politics, court intrigue, and so much loving. Have you read The Pillow Book or the Genji Monogatari? So much loving. Paradox loves that.

Heian period is way more interesting than any of the bakufus.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Patter Song posted:

Heian period is ridiculously cool, though. The tension between the Imperial family and their Fujiwara masters would be great: think of the potential of having an Emperor player character bucking under the rule that he must marry a Fujiwara woman and that his father in law become Prime Minister. Not to mention the potential in the mechanic of Emperors resigning, feeling that they'd have more control and ability to buck the Fujiwaras as ex-Emperors advising their successors than as Emperors. You have religion and politics, court intrigue, and so much loving. Have you read The Pillow Book or the Genji Monogatari? So much loving. Paradox loves that.

Heian period is way more interesting than any of the bakufus.

They'd have to implement a hell of a lot more robust intrigue system and toss in more nuances to vassals to be able to get anywhere close to that.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

AdventFalls posted:

They're probably better off giving flavor to stuff that exists (People that aren't Catholic/Orthodox/Sunni/Norse) before thinking about map expansions.

Agreed. Africa in particular desperately needs expansion. The west is super boring because its only connection to the rest of the world is two little patches of desert, but East Africa is worse. There's really no justification for marking most of the Sahel (including a section of the Nile!) as empty wasteland except that they didn't want to deal with it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Basically, as far as I Can see, re: the Ming Frontier Iberia and the holy land should both be separate countries in the conversion, maybe more then one each? We're not looking at an actual empire here, after all, but something akin to a reverse-Alexander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

AdventFalls posted:

Agreed. Especially pagans other than Norse and maybe Tengri are ultra-boring, because they have almost no additional mechanic or events. Playing as them mostly consists of activating that one special festival and waiting until some more interesting religion finally converts you.

• Locked thread