Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Brotherhood is better than the original in every way. Only watch it afterwards if you want to see how dumb it got once it went anime-original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The original is great and I still think the ending, transdimensional Hitlers aside, was better than Brotherhood/the manga's stock villain and super-shounen power of friendship showdown.

Come at me, motherfuckers. :colbert:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So, um, which version of FMA should I be watching? I've seen the first chunk of Brotherhood (up to about the point where it breaks off from the original) and it's pretty great, but I've been reading bits and pieces about the original and it sounds... kinda batshit insane but also really dope.

The two versions seem pretty polarizing. I'm more partial to Brotherhood because I just hated the direction the ending of the original took, especially the concluding movie. But you should probably watch both; after a certain point they're essentially just alternate universe stories, and there's nothing wrong with that.

And then, you know, watch Silver Spoon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just read the manga. Brotherhood's beginning is really half-assed and they still wound up cutting out some good parts here and there throughout the run.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I recommend reading the manga and watching the first anime; they both have their strong and weak points. Brotherhood is basically a straight adaptation of the manga, but it's not as good as the manga in some ways.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The original FMA anime is pretty hosed up and dark at times and while it kinda falls apart at the end and makes no sense, it's a gently caress of a lot more interesting than Brotherhood/the manga because the manga literally ends like a JRPG with a boring saccharine ending after a boss fight in space.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Fabricated posted:

The original FMA anime is pretty hosed up and dark at times and while it kinda falls apart at the end and makes no sense, it's a gently caress of a lot more interesting than Brotherhood/the manga because the manga literally ends like a JRPG with a boring saccharine ending after a boss fight in space.
For many years this was my stance as well, but the manga eventually won me over. Arakawa just does a lot more interesting things with her characters compared to BONES' take, and ultimately it was a lot more satisfying and cohesive narratively.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So, um, which version of FMA should I be watching? I've seen the first chunk of Brotherhood (up to about the point where it breaks off from the original) and it's pretty great, but I've been reading bits and pieces about the original and it sounds... kinda batshit insane but also really dope.

Watch Brotherhood because the original FMA anime turns into Sho Aikawa's usual "poo poo on the characters as much as possible because heroes deserve to suffer" bullshit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Watch Brotherhood because the original FMA anime turns into Sho Aikawa's usual "poo poo on the characters as much as possible because heroes deserve to suffer" bullshit.

I like the anime's darker tone, but I just looked up Sho Aikawa and was disturbed to find that he worked on Angel Cop and Urotsukidoji (though he wasn't the primary writer for either).

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He's also responsible for the abortion of a show that was Eureka 7: AO, which took two of the most likable protagonists ever in Renton and Eureka (along with one of the most feel-good ending ever) and completely shat on them.

He's a hack writer completely dependent on an awful shtick.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I read through FMA for the first time a few months ago, and I almost dropped it after the first few chapters, because with the back-to-back despair of the little girl chimera and the emaciated little girl corpse, I wasn't sure if it would be fun read for me. Fortunately, they do dial back on it a bit as the series continues, once the consequences of human transmutation are established.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

He's also responsible for the abortion of a show that was Eureka 7: AO, which took two of the most likable protagonists ever in Renton and Eureka (along with one of the most feel-good ending ever) and completely shat on them.

Suddenly everything makes sense.

Still not watching AO ever, mind.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't think of a single redeeming factor for Eureka Seven AO, at least. It was pretty bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Suddenly everything makes sense.

Still not watching AO ever, mind.

That is a wonderful policy.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nate RFB posted:

I can't think of a single redeeming factor for Eureka Seven AO, at least. It was pretty bad.

Its music was decent. Not as good as its predecessor's soundtrack but there were some decent tracks in there. Eureka Seven AO was just terrible all around though.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

There's not anything inherently terrible about putting characters through hell, though. If there was, then Madoka, Evangelion, Fate/zero, and Zeta Gundam would also all be terrible.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Three of those are terrible :haw:

The problem with Aikawa is that there is no real meaning or lesson behind Aikawa's cruelty other than "gently caress heroes, they're poo poo." It's lovely, spiteful cynicism that puts characters through hell just for the sake of doing it.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 18, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Oh Snapple! posted:

Oh man I didn't know it was the same guy but yeah, now it all makes sense. I loved the last 49 episodes of Eureka 7 (:v:) and I dropped AO after either one or two episodes, purely for the reason you mentioned. As far as I'm concerned, AO doesn't exist. That's the main beef I had with FMA, too.

Not everything and everyone has to be sad, and so-called tragedy doesn't work when it isn't loving earned.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Chapters 4 and 5 of Sousei no Onmyouji are up.

Holy gently caress chapter 4 got pretty dark. But the end of chapter 5 balanced it out.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 22, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In case anyone doesn't read the HxH anime thread, it looks like the manga is coming back next June :toot:

And we're getting a simultaneous English release to boot. Pretty excited about that, might have to finally drop some money on Viz's service just for that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Saiki Chapter 12

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Rosario To Vampire Epilogue

Pretty much a return to the series comedic roots, pretty entertaining and I really enjoyed Moka's father true personality. Weird way to resolve the harem though Tsukune's in love with Moka's mother and Moka is kind of turning into her plus Moka's father sort of approves the harem. That's gonna be an awkward family reunion :v:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Pretty much a return to the series comedic roots, pretty entertaining and I really enjoyed Moka's father true personality. Weird way to resolve the harem though Tsukune's in love with Moka's mother and Moka is kind of turning into her plus Moka's father sort of approves the harem. That's gonna be an awkward family reunion :v:

I liked Moka's father's faces. :)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Srice posted:

In case anyone doesn't read the HxH anime thread, it looks like the manga is coming back next June :toot:

And we're getting a simultaneous English release to boot. Pretty excited about that, might have to finally drop some money on Viz's service just for that.

Watch it only be for like a month.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Waffleman_ posted:

Watch it only be for like a month.

He should just get some assistants and direct the series so everyone wins

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Bada bing! Bada boom! Your gf's dad's your boss, life's hell :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He can't talk, he had three wives, most of whom were evil. :colbert:

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
There's a Sequel to Great Teacher Onizuka.

He's in prison!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:psyduck:

Is this a sequel to 14 Days in Shonan or to the legendary GTO?

I mean, he was convalescent at the end of GTO, probably a few years had passed though. Onizuka looks swole now compared to GTO and S14D or maybe is change on style :v:

In any case, ONIZUKA'S BACK! :neckbeard:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 26, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
14 Days was already a sequel to GTO, so this one would probably follow after that. Really need to pick up the volumes for that sometime since the scanlator stopped when it got licensed, and it only fully translated last year. That and Shonan Junai Gumi I really want to finish sometime. I think Shonan Junai Gumi finished, though Tokyopop shutting down kind of slowed that down.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Allarion posted:

14 Days was already a sequel to GTO, so this one would probably follow after that. Really need to pick up the volumes for that sometime since the scanlator stopped when it got licensed, and it only fully translated last year. That and Shonan Junai Gumi I really want to finish sometime. I think Shonan Junai Gumi finished, though Tokyopop shutting down kind of slowed that down.

14 days was an interquel to GTO (placed between the end of Teshigawara arc and the beginning of Daimon arc) I haven't read the end since I've never found the last volumes though :(

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So what are the odds we'll see Rosario+Vampire III before a year's time? Has the author come out with any plans?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm watching FMA brotherhood right now and I have to say this is really really well made. The art style is a little generic anime and it is a little heavy on the anime tropes but god drat if it doesn't look amazing in HD. It reminds me a lot of Korra, except if Korra was well written and animated. I'm sort of sad I didn't have this to watch when I was 13 or 14

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 28, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I don't know where you're at in the show, but if you're not very far in it, keep going. You'll notice that after a certain point it pretty much drops most of the shonen tropes (or at least twists them to the point of being unrecognizable).

e: Speaking of FMA: Brotherhood, (dude above me, you probably shouldn't read this) I really don't understand why Ed and Hawkeye saved Envy from Mustang. I mean, it makes sense on a thematic level, because "hate is really, really lovely" is pretty much one of the big messages of the story from what I can tell, but... Envy exists for the sole purpose of doing evil poo poo. He is an unrepentant, proud murderer, literally started the Ishvalan genocide, and the only remotely good thing he's done in the entire series so far was helping Ed and Ling out of Gluttony's stomach (which he did primarily out of self-preservation). If there is any one character in FMA whose killer would get a moral free pass, it's Envy, and their main beef with Mustang doing it seems to be that he's too angry at him (which makes no goddamn sense given that he just bragged to him about murdering Hughes, his best friend). I get that the theme had to be driven home a little more, but why with the one character who completely and utterly has it coming? :wtc:

e2: Why the gently caress does Scar of all people get on a high horse about it? Scar's revenge was against people who largely had nothing to do with what he was avenging. Roy's was against the person who murdered his best friend in cold blood and then bragged to his face about it in the physical form of said best friend's wife. I'm pretty sure there's a BIT of a difference there. :psyduck:

e3: HOW THE gently caress IS HAWKEYE KILLING HIM A BETTER WAY TO HANDLE IT!? :psyboom: This poo poo is retarded.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 28, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Stealth Symphony 10.

Mermaid vs Dragon :black101:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SALT CURES HAM posted:

e: Speaking of FMA: Brotherhood

The answer to your question is, "because shounen anime protagonist." That scene was so good because Mustang was acting so human and even though it was obviously supposed to feel dark and scary I was pretty much in complete agreement with Mustang and cheerleading him in my head the whole time. But no, gotta get that inconsistent moral message across.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I don't know where you're at in the show, but if you're not very far in it, keep going. You'll notice that after a certain point it pretty much drops most of the shonen tropes (or at least twists them to the point of being unrecognizable).

e: Speaking of FMA: Brotherhood, (dude above me, you probably shouldn't read this) I really don't understand why Ed and Hawkeye saved Envy from Mustang. I mean, it makes sense on a thematic level, because "hate is really, really lovely" is pretty much one of the big messages of the story from what I can tell, but... Envy exists for the sole purpose of doing evil poo poo. He is an unrepentant, proud murderer, literally started the Ishvalan genocide, and the only remotely good thing he's done in the entire series so far was helping Ed and Ling out of Gluttony's stomach (which he did primarily out of self-preservation). If there is any one character in FMA whose killer would get a moral free pass, it's Envy, and their main beef with Mustang doing it seems to be that he's too angry at him (which makes no goddamn sense given that he just bragged to him about murdering Hughes, his best friend). I get that the theme had to be driven home a little more, but why with the one character who completely and utterly has it coming? :wtc:

e2: Why the gently caress does Scar of all people get on a high horse about it? Scar's revenge was against people who largely had nothing to do with what he was avenging. Roy's was against the person who murdered his best friend in cold blood and then bragged to his face about it in the physical form of said best friend's wife. I'm pretty sure there's a BIT of a difference there. :psyduck:

e3: HOW THE gently caress IS HAWKEYE KILLING HIM A BETTER WAY TO HANDLE IT!? :psyboom: This poo poo is retarded.

The difference is that Hawkeye would have been killing him to stop him from killing more people in the future rather than for revenge.

It's probably worth noting that Mustang and Hawkeye were both involved in the Ishvalan genocide too. Neither has much moral high ground here.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

The answer to your question is, "because shounen anime protagonist." That scene was so good because Mustang was acting so human and even though it was obviously supposed to feel dark and scary I was pretty much in complete agreement with Mustang and cheerleading him in my head the whole time. But no, gotta get that inconsistent moral message across.

Yeah I'm pretty sure everyone who isn't Arakawa was cheering him on in that scene. I don't even really have a problem with the moral message, it's just dumb as hell in the context of that scene.

Honestly, if it were me writing the series, I would have made it so that Mustang found out about Envy killing Hughes through some other way than Envy taunting him about it. As written, Envy brought everything that happened to him completely on himself, and the vibe of the scene is less "oh no Mustang stop being crazy :ohdear:" and more "HOLY poo poo FINALLY! KICK HIS rear end!" until Ed, Scar and Hawkeye join in.

If it had been Mustang finding out from someone else and then hunting Envy down and doing what he did, it would have worked, because that could arguably be seen as him going off the deep end a little. In the text, though, he's just reacting completely justifiably to every single one of his buttons being pushed in quick succession.

Alternately, they could have just had him kill Envy and explored the consequences of it for him, rather than beating the audience over the head with the message. But eh.

e: And the dumbest part is, Envy dies anyways. It's not like his life even got spared, they just had to have a bit where everyone goes "REVENGE BAD" at Mustang even though it makes no goddamn sense whatsoever and isn't even of any consequence.

Silver2195 posted:

The difference is that Hawkeye would have been killing him to stop him from killing more people in the future rather than for revenge.

Wasn't that the initial reason they all picked a fight with him, though? Revenge was why Mustang wanted to fight him one-on-one, but it seemed like the other reason was a pretty huge factor too.

Silver2195 posted:

It's probably worth noting that Mustang and Hawkeye were both involved in the Ishvalan genocide too. Neither has much moral high ground here.

I meant specifically with regards to the revenge thing. Scar is literally the last person who should be making GBS threads on a dude for taking revenge, especially since Mustang was comparatively pretty justified in beating the everloving poo poo out of Envy.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Regarding Full Metal AlchemistIf Mustang had approached the fight like when killed Lust they would have not issue with it, but instead he was doing less efficient attacks when the fate of the nation was at stake just to make himself feel better. As an individual that behaviour can be excused by as somebody who is trying to lead a nation then putting his own needs before that of the nation is deplorable. Also I saw Scar's point being that he had no right to stop Mustang from brutally killing Envy, however through experience he could quite clearly say that devoting oneself to revenge makes a person monster. In other words Scar was acting like those drug adverts that show the after effects of doing drugs, as in heads up Mustang, what you are doing right now is exactly what I did when I start my revenge rampage and do you really want to follow my example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Looking forward to sub groups starting this then never finishing it

Doubutsu no kuni (Animal Land) finished. Kind of an odd ending; I didn't think GGG would receive redemption but his killing seemed a little anticlimactic. Didn't they asked Kuou directly why he would summon someone like him from heaven (?) and they never got an answer or am I misremembering. The protagonist was even more one dimensional than Kiyomori (from Gash) but not nearly as likeable. Overall a disappointment after Gash Bell.