Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oracle posted:

Young Justice was everything the Teen Titans should be and so of course it got cancelled. Watch the whole first season and marvel at the competency of the storytelling and characterization. Sob that S2 isn't up on Netflix yet.

It's a 2 season show right? Did it end abruptly on a massive cliffhanger or did they get a good conclusion?

Why are all the new DCAU shows only 2 seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

It's a 2 season show right? Did it end abruptly on a massive cliffhanger or did they get a good conclusion?

Because they are never good enough/popular enough/sell enough toys to get another season.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

Kid-targeted shows usually only run for a handful of seasons. Notable exceptions being Rugrats and Spongebob (which shall run forevermore until the end of time).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

zoux posted:

How is Young Justice?

It's pretty solid! The first season is probably stronger than the second. It suffers a little bit from being a notably... well... Greg Weisman-ian, with a lot of the villains being variations on David Xanatos of Gargoyles, but if you can put up with a lot of "ha, if only they knew that my real plan succeeded all along...", it's the strongest version of the Titans concept we've had in many, many years. Certainly the best since the actual Young Justice comic itself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Kid-targeted shows usually only run for a handful of seasons. Notable exceptions being Rugrats and Spongebob (which shall run forevermore until the end of time).
BTAS ran forever.

E: hm it actually didn't I guess I just watched it forever. 85 eps though.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 22, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

zoux posted:

It doesn't end on a cliffhanger per se, but ends on a massive dangler instead. The third season would have been the overall climax of the series' plot.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

BTAS ran forever.

E: hm it actually didn't I guess I just watched it forever. 85 eps though.

Sure, which is a good, long run for the average kid's show. Most of the ones that last have rebrandings every few years with new protagonists, settings, or art styles - Even B:TaS had a fairly large art redo after season 3.

Basically, when your target demographic is a 2-3 year age range, having prior character development is actually a hindrance for new kids that are aging into the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat these kids loving up shows for children that I, a grown rear end man, like to watch!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It doesn't end on a cliffhanger per se, but ends on a massive dangler instead. The third season would have been the overall climax of the series' plot.

I'll give it a shot. I'm having my wisdom teeth out on Monday and I'll need some low stakes TV to kill time.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
B:TAS also existed at the tail end of actually being able to sell advertisers on cartoons. As I've brought up before advertisers were willing to fork out decent cash to get at that limited window that was saturday morning/weekday afternoons but after multiple studies showed how far cable had reached and how many homes had at least one tv dedicated to kids watching the growing number of kid centric channels the amount advertisers were willing to pay dropped to the point where you can't afford to produce an animated show on ads much less make money on one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oracle posted:

Young Justice was everything the Teen Titans should be and so of course it got cancelled. Watch the whole first season and marvel at the competency of the storytelling and characterization. Sob that S2 isn't up on Netflix yet.

It's so loving boring, and the character designs are so lame. I can't believe so many people like it.

It also has one of the worst Jokers ever.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Greg Rucka, TESTIFY!

http://www.themarysue.com/greg-rucka-blogs-fake-geek-girl/

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's pretty solid! The first season is probably stronger than the second. It suffers a little bit from being a notably... well... Greg Weisman-ian, with a lot of the villains being variations on David Xanatos of Gargoyles, but if you can put up with a lot of "ha, if only they knew that my real plan succeeded all along...", it's the strongest version of the Titans concept we've had in many, many years. Certainly the best since the actual Young Justice comic itself.

The whole "The Titans (ok, "the team") never really win because the villain had contingency plans out the rear end" thing got old really fast tho.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

It's so loving boring, and the character designs are so lame. I can't believe so many people like it.

It also has one of the worst Jokers ever.
Which is odd because Brent Spiner did a pretty solid Joker-lite in, hold on to your hats folks...Gargoyles!

Also jesus christ was that first season catch-phrasey.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
B:TAS is the worst example to give for cartoon life, because as far as I see it, the entirety of that period of DCAU comes across as one big cartoon under different names. Batman The Animated Series, Superman The Animated Series (And their "New Adventures" combined timeslot, natch) Batman Beyond, Static Shock, JL and JLU, heck they even brought in the show nobody watched, The Zeta Project. They all made an effort to be one combined universe, so I kind of treat them all like an extension of Batman.

Though it did become funny when Teen Titans was on and actively refused to join the continuity, then suddenly they and JLU seemed to be in a sort of arms race to claim DC characters once JLU was a thing and TT brought the Doom Patrol into their storyline.

On that topic, I barely got to watch it, did the Legion of Superheroes cartoon have any connection to other DCAU cartoons?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Vincent posted:

The whole "The Titans (ok, "the team") never really win because the villain had contingency plans out the rear end" thing got old really fast tho.

It's something you see in a number of shows Weisman helmed, like Gargoyles or Spectacular Spider-Man, but Young Justice got quite a few eyerolls from me by the end.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Choco1980 posted:

Though it did become funny when Teen Titans was on and actively refused to join the continuity, then suddenly they and JLU seemed to be in a sort of arms race to claim DC characters once JLU was a thing and TT brought the Doom Patrol into their storyline.
I remember an episode of Static Shock had Batman say Robin(Tim Drake) was "with the Titans" and it started even more arguments about who the TT Robin was, even though it was obviously meant to be Dick and Batman's comment was just a shout out. JLU also had Speedy look like his Teen Titans counterpart, but it was still only a little in joke.

Choco1980 posted:

On that topic, I barely got to watch it, did the Legion of Superheroes cartoon have any connection to other DCAU cartoons?

Nope, and it was terrible. Not for not being in the DCAU, just in general.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My roommate was hating on Doop the other day, I almost went upside his head.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I saw him kind of pissed off at Wizard World many years ago, Rucka is not a guy you want to anger.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I saw him kind of pissed off at Wizard World many years ago, Rucka is not a guy you want to anger.

There's very little in this world scarier than the righteous anger of a father.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

WickedHate posted:

I remember an episode of Static Shock had Batman say Robin(Tim Drake) was "with the Titans" and it started even more arguments about who the TT Robin was, even though it was obviously meant to be Dick and Batman's comment was just a shout out. JLU also had Speedy look like his Teen Titans counterpart, but it was still only a little in joke.

Yeah, and I remember Titans occasionally (and much more in the new series) making little sly references to Robin's identity as well, and being deliberately coy about it. One that sticks out in my brain was when there was some inter-dimensional being that was basically a Robin-mite that decided to hang out with the group, and Beast Boy had a chalkboard out trying to figure out who he was. One of the ideas was that he was an evil mirror universe Robin, whose secret identity was "Nosyarg Kcid".

quote:

Nope, and it was terrible. Not for not being in the DCAU, just in general.

Are you sure? I ended up catching maybe like three episodes of it, and while the Superboy business was a total mess, it seemed like the Braniac stuff was pretty clearly connected. One of the few episodes I saw had Brainac-5 have a crisis of faith because the original Braniac's programming was a part of him, and IIRC, they used the same voice actor for Braniac-1 in that one. They even share the same tri-circle forehead pattern.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was just as much DCAU as TTG was.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

zoux posted:

You should've unleashed the funk on him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, and I remember Titans occasionally (and much more in the new series) making little sly references to Robin's identity as well, and being deliberately coy about it. One that sticks out in my brain was when there was some inter-dimensional being that was basically a Robin-mite that decided to hang out with the group, and Beast Boy had a chalkboard out trying to figure out who he was. One of the ideas was that he was an evil mirror universe Robin, whose secret identity was "Nosyarg Kcid".
Actually, the blackboard was for Red X's identity, and one of Beast Boy's theories was Jason Todd(and in the new TT gag cartoon, Beast Boy says about Red X, "I still think it's Jason Todd"). Nosyarg Kcid was the actual name of the Robin-mite character, and when Starfire went to the future, Robin was Nightwing. :eng101:

Choco1980 posted:

Are you sure? I ended up catching maybe like three episodes of it, and while the Superboy business was a total mess, it seemed like the Braniac stuff was pretty clearly connected. One of the few episodes I saw had Brainac-5 have a crisis of faith because the original Braniac's programming was a part of him, and IIRC, they used the same voice actor for Braniac-1 in that one. They even share the same tri-circle forehead pattern.

The circles have always been a part of Braniac, and aside from that he looked a lot different.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Is he a member of the league of nazi bowlers?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Actually, the blackboard was for Red X's identity, and one of Beast Boy's theories was Jason Todd(and in the new TT gag cartoon, Beast Boy says about Red X, "I still think it's Jason Todd"). Nosyarg Kcid was the actual name of the Robin-mite character, and when Starfire went to the future, Robin was Nightwing. :eng101:

The circles have always been a part of Braniac, and aside from that he looked a lot different.

Come to think of it there was an issue of the tie in comic that strongly linked the LOSH toon universe to the DCAU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

"Nosyarg Kcid" was the Robin-mite guy's real name, but they called him Larry because it was easier to pronounce. One of the ideas on Beast Boy's chalkboard, however, was Jason Todd.

Edit: Aww, too slow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Is he a member of the league of nazi bowlers?

Nah he's Dr Doom, who Doop once made cry.

And 9/11, 9/11 once made Dr Doom cry.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Nah he's Dr Doom, who Doop once made cry.

And 9/11, 9/11 once made Dr Doom cry.

You know he was just sad that it was not the Baxter building

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What! Janet Van Dyne didn't actually die during the Skrull invasion! I'm literally gobsmacked!

So is stuff like that planned out at the time of "death" or do they just have a list of characters that writers are allowed to bring back whenever oh, and there is no one not on that list?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

What! Janet Van Dyne didn't actually die during the Skrull invasion! I'm literally gobsmacked!

So is stuff like that planned out at the time of "death" or do they just have a list of characters that writers are allowed to bring back whenever oh, and there is no one not on that list?

Bendis "killed" her and brought her back. It was either he did not want to write her so he got rid of he for a while. Then when he left the Avengers he brought her back so another person could use her.

Posting using a cell phone is dangerous

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 23, 2014

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

bobkatt013 posted:

Bendis "killed" her and brought her back. It was either he did not want to write her so he got rid of he for a while. Then when he left the Acrngera he brought her back so another person could use her.

That's some Jake the Sanem stuff, right there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

You know he was just sad that it was not the Baxter building

It was a Doombot with an optical lubricant leak.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

It was a Doombot with an optical lubricant leak.

I'm going with cosplaying Deadpool myself.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gavok posted:

I'm going with cosplaying Deadpool myself.

Squeezing tubes of Visine into the eyeholes of the mask.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's not a great thing to say but I'm kind of glad he got angry again. He seemed to be a bit defeated by the ~big two lifestyle~ and pulled back a lot but every creator should be out there calling out that poo poo. A lot of people have been rightfully tearing that stupid rear end t shirt apart but it's still terrible that they can be sold and put out there as if it's no big deal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

For every bit of progress we've made in the last 15 or so years, there's been an equal and opposite reaction from people who are violently attached to the status quo. I can guarantee there's people that are going out of their way to exclude women from nerd hobbies and make sexist jokes to "compensate" for what they see as a disproportionate amount of space given to women in these circles. And shirts like this are for those people.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Young Justice was a really fun, good show with the usual number of flaws. It turns out fans love catchphrases, by the way. They're what solid shirt sales empires are built on.

My biggest problem with the show was the ballooning cast. Clearly it heard the people grumbling that the show wasn't JLU WHY ISN'T IT loving JLU and tried to give it to them, which wasn't good for me, but ah well. I prefer a show with a small tight core, even if it gets bogged down in the occasional Red Tornado episode.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

For every bit of progress we've made in the last 15 or so years, there's been an equal and opposite reaction from people who are violently attached to the status quo. I can guarantee there's people that are going out of their way to exclude women from nerd hobbies and make sexist jokes to "compensate" for what they see as a disproportionate amount of space given to women in these circles. And shirts like this are for those people.

And that reaction is something I just cannot wrap my mind around. I'm coming up on 40 and I would love if more women in my age group were into all the nerd poo poo I am. On a purely selfish level, as a straight dude, you should drat happy that comics/video games/ D&D/ whatever is no longer a total boys club.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Soonmot posted:

And that reaction is something I just cannot wrap my mind around. I'm coming up on 40 and I would love if more women in my age group were into all the nerd poo poo I am. On a purely selfish level, as a straight dude, you should drat happy that comics/video games/ D&D/ whatever is no longer a total boys club.

It turns out that women who share their hobbies don't necessarily want to gently caress them on spot just because they know a lot about Green Lantern, just as all other women they have encountered through their lifetime. Therefore obviously the "fangirls" are all fake/doing it for attention/doing it for POWER/doing it wrong with their love for cosplay and fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

fatherboxx posted:

It turns out that women who share their hobbies don't necessarily want to gently caress them on spot just because they know a lot about Green Lantern, just as all other women they have encountered through their lifetime.

But I'm like the quarterback of comic knowledge it should get me laid, that's how it works right?

• Locked thread