Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
testing is hugely important and nobody wants to do it because you can't add those LOC counts to the finished project and bill the customer for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
assert inside the code

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
poo poo like this is why having "Software engineering as serious engineering" is something I think would be a good idea.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

what if we can offset all this tedious "testing" stuff onto the users? if it fucks up they can email us about it and it will become a support ticket that sits in a database untouched for years

bam, i just figured out how to reduce overall resource needs via crowdsourcing, i will be awaiting my huge bonus check

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Y'all need to look into property-based testing because it owns bones whenever it is applicable.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

2banks1swap.avi posted:

poo poo like this is why having "Software engineering as serious engineering" is something I think would be a good idea.

software engineering isnt real engineering tho

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i think its funny that that software engineering test u'd hafta take to be a "real" software engineer basically outlines all different ways to manage software development, and in the real world 90% of it gets thrown out the window. i have never worked for a place that stuck to an actual software engineering paradigm

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MononcQc posted:

Y'all need to look into property-based testing because it owns bones whenever it is applicable.

goddamn does quickcheck own. thanks erlang!!

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i really like tdd/bdd but have barely done any since undergrad bc either worked for a place where "we didnt have capacity" (bc we were putting out fires from all our untested software), doing stuff with volatile io/graphics, or doing research (lol why would we want to test this thing were going to publish as knowledge and hinge careers on, im sure the smo solver written by this 22yo biologist who picked up matlab from yahoo answers is trustworthy)

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

speaking of graphics testing valve has a cool new opengl debugger
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/vogl

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Socracheese posted:

i think its funny that that software engineering test u'd hafta take to be a "real" software engineer basically outlines all different ways to manage software development, and in the real world 90% of it gets thrown out the window. i have never worked for a place that stuck to an actual software engineering paradigm

yeah at the $BIGCORP i work at i sat in on a few hiring committees.

If you knew what "testing" and "mocking" and "TDD" was (just the words, maybe a sample test for the algo problem in the interview) it would get you at the top of the pile for a fresh grad, and if you didn't and were an experienced hire you were basically put at the bottom of the pile.

CS programs are trash at actually preparing people for development work and not very good at teaching cs theory.

Unfortunately there are no good SE undergrad courses and total lol at having PhD's in software engineering teach anyone anything about real-world software.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

MononcQc posted:

Malcolm XML posted:

quotin

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i am in a software engineering course right now and its the most do-nothing class i've ever taken. the professor doesnt know poo poo about it, he teaches out of some old book from the 90s filled with totally irrelevant poo poo, and he just asks questions straight outta the book, and the only way to get full credit is to google for the answer key to regurgitate the exact bullshit the book wants to hear. gonna get an A and learn zero about software engineering

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
checking the malloc return wastes valuable cycles which could otherwise be used for mining bitcoin, [i]grai grandpaa

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

grandpa

leaving that earlier one in there, good poo poo awful.ipa

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

we have a thing that picks a small percentage of read-only requests and plays them a second time against a different code branch, to compare performance and other results. It's pretty great, because it means you're testing real usage on real infrastructure and data sets.

You can also do the whole A/B slow rollout thing to see if anything explodes. a bunch of places do that as part of continuous deployment, and we do it as part of every FB push. it's also super handy on Android, where OEMs love to troll you with random platform differences and the breadth of devices is just way too high to admit to systematic verification.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

uncurable mlady posted:

grandpa

leaving that earlier one in there, good poo poo awful.ipa

did you use the autoclose thing?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

uncurable mlady posted:

checking the malloc return wastes valuable cycles which could otherwise be used for mining bitcoin, [i]grai grandpaa

the return value of malloc is a lie (or if not a lie an equivocation that may as well be a lie) on many OSes anyways. make sure your programs handle SIGKILL intelligently!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

did you use the autoclose thing?

yes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

really narrow category of software which can do anything except stick an assert on the malloc though, if malloc fails outside of like limited embedded software it means you are probably screwed as far as recovering goes

overall i suspect that very little error handling code out there does anything more useful than failing with a touch more logging, which probably could be automatically generated just as easily. tends to be an overlooked detail though, since it is pretty deeply ingrained to do an awful lot of exception catching and return value checking

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

the return value of malloc is a lie (or if not a lie an equivocation that may as well be a lie) on many OSes anyways. make sure your programs handle SIGKILL intelligently!

i know without a doubt they completely handwave all signals in the cs program here up to and including in the 'Unix System Programming' course :allears:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i also definitely know that several other TA's were surprised by the existence of thread-safe strtok as well as arcane string.h methods as 'strrchr'

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

boo. lmk if you remember how you triggered it, i'll try to fix it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Otto Skorzeny posted:

make sure your programs handle SIGKILL intelligently!

that would be a neat trick

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

uncurable mlady posted:

i know without a doubt they completely handwave all signals in the cs program here up to and including in the 'Unix System Programming' course :allears:

The correct response to UNIX signals.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

realtime signals

also

Otto Skorzeny posted:

i get to work with a distributed db that the replicas got out of sync. also a few times in pre-prod a shard decided to delete all its data, still trying to figure that one out. we go live in Q2

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

testing is hugely important and nobody wants to do it because you can't add those LOC counts to the finished project and bill the customer for them

testing is hugely important and nobody wants to do it because it's boring, thankless and people only ever pay attention to you when something has gone wrong

and that's in the best case scenario where your tests are actually working correctly, as opposed to spewing false failures or burning cycles on false passes or just failing to run at all

testers are the goalkeepers of software development

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
current neckbeard status: installed and now using emacs in order to use agda

starting to think about customising it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

qntm posted:

testing is hugely important and nobody wants to do it because it's boring, thankless and people only ever pay attention to you when something has gone wrong

testing is great because with good tests you can go quickly and keep your barbarian co-workers from loving you over. it's a quality of life investment you make on your own behalf.

edit: vvvv

is "generative testing" like fuzzing, but without the randomness? my life was dominated by (bugs found by) JavaScript and markup fuzzers for a while, they're worryingly effective.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 23, 2014

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Malcolm XML posted:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MononcQc posted:

Yeah it rocks. Its been really handy for testing this web app I've been building on contract for sea ice observations. Now that I'm in the analysis phase where you take large data sets and run analysis on them, generative testing has been handy as hell. Spend a couple of hours writing a couple of complex generators for the subject and now you can hit all the edge cases you could care for.

I've been playing with it in combination with Cucumber and it actually makes a ton of sense to me. Given steps define the input generators, When steps define the actions that take the inputs and do things to them, and then Then steps run the properties against them. Surprisingly good match and makes combinations easy to form so you avoid excessive boilerplate code

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

AlsoD posted:

current neckbeard status: installed and now using emacs in order to use agda

starting to think about customising it

Now you can shave two yaks at once. I recommend saving time by using agda to prove your .emacs is correct.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Although if you can actually model elisp semantics I'll be impressed.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

there is nothing correct about emacs

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I dunno, buffer local variables are kinda cool.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah at the $BIGCORP i work at i sat in on a few hiring committees.

If you knew what "testing" and "mocking" and "TDD" was (just the words, maybe a sample test for the algo problem in the interview) it would get you at the top of the pile for a fresh grad, and if you didn't and were an experienced hire you were basically put at the bottom of the pile.

CS programs are trash at actually preparing people for development work and not very good at teaching cs theory.

Unfortunately there are no good SE undergrad courses and total lol at having PhD's in software engineering teach anyone anything about real-world software.

I took a course in my final year of undergrad that was basically a course on Personal Software Process that was about as close to actual engineering as I've ever seen. It was probably the most useful class I ever took and really helped me stand out from the rest right after graduation.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

boo. lmk if you remember how you triggered it, i'll try to fix it.

what happened i think is autocorrect fired off at the same time that an extra character got inserted like it sometimes does

i can't t

can't

i can get the extra character thing to happen if i type

i can't t

when it autocorrects the apostrophe in, the extra t pops in

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

it worked fine until the patch after yospos autocorrect was turned back on iirc

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Janitor Prime posted:

I took a course in my final year of undergrad that was basically a course on Personal Software Process that was about as close to actual engineering as I've ever seen. It was probably the most useful class I ever took and really helped me stand out from the rest right after graduation.

PSP/TSP is a pretty great dogma, as they go. a previous smallish (15 ppl) company I was at started to do the training just when I left, and I was always sad I missed out on it.

uncurable mlady posted:

what happened i think is autocorrect fired off at the same time that an extra character got inserted

yeah, sounds like an autocomplete interaction gone awry. i'll take a look tonight, I can reproduce at least one case ("ill" then space making "i'll l" with point after the space rather than at the end).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

MononcQc posted:

my faves is how 32-bit fp had all sorts of errors on most machines until peeps went 'fuckit, there are only 4 billion of them' and started doing exhaustive tests

which means floats are maybe safer than doubles