Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Hikari because she's adorable. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carousel Of Regret
Nov 7, 2013
Kaori, since voting for Akane would just be spitting in the ocean at this point

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
Kaori.

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs
For justice and Homura!

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Akane. Homura and Mei have been covered (albeit not as well) in the other LP. I'd rather see new stuff. And, well... I'm not really anticipating many surprises on Hikari's route. It's the default one, that sounds to me like the generic one. At the very least, it'd be too drat easy on vibratingsheep. The point is to make him suffer, right?

So, uh... you sure we can't vote Miho to see all the "exciting differences" between their routes?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Karia posted:

So, uh... you sure we can't vote Miho to see all the "exciting differences" between their routes?

It's significantly different from Maho in many ways, but it requires more reloads than I want to think about right now. I'll go back to Miho at some point, but it'll be a while before she shows back up in the poll. Variety is the spice of life, after all!

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
For great justice, Homura

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

vibratingsheep posted:

It's significantly different from Maho in many ways, but it requires more reloads than I want to think about right now.

Wait, really? I'm surprised, I was assuming they were pretty much exactly the same. Huh.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Kay Kessler posted:

Out of curiousity, where? Is there another off-site LP or something? I'm just asking because translations of the main Tokimemo games are tough to come by (tons for the Girl's Side games, though).

Not a full LP sadly, just various important scenes here and there. Her ending and at least one other scene were up with a translation on youtube at some point.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Hikari because she makes me feel bad.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Karia posted:

Wait, really? I'm surprised, I was assuming they were pretty much exactly the same. Huh.

As a fully vested main character, Miho has 14 unique events. 2 are shared with Maho (the pool and the birthday reveal), and 5 were already seen in the Maho route. As a secret character, Maho has 6 events, 2 shared with Miho and 2 that are alternate versions of Miho's (the fortune telling and the Christmas date).

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Karia posted:

Akane. Homura and Mei have been covered (albeit not as well) in the other LP. I'd rather see new stuff.

Can we stop posting this as an excuse? No offense intended, but it's new to some, if not most of us. :( Sheep's mix of translation, localization, and factoids about Japan is the best, and I'd hate for the thread to miss out on or be delayed in seeing two potentially awesome routes just because there's an inferior run through of them somewhere else on the internet. Tangent over!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Can we stop posting this as an excuse?

No. Akane.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the other LP is lovely and borderline unfollowable. It is poorly presented and annoying to read.

Why would you send other people to read it rather than a good LP?

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

vibratingsheep posted:

As a fully vested main character, Miho has 14 unique events. 2 are shared with Maho (the pool and the birthday reveal), and 5 were already seen in the Maho route. As a secret character, Maho has 6 events, 2 shared with Miho and 2 that are alternate versions of Miho's (the fortune telling and the Christmas date).

So Maho has two totally unique events. One of them must be all the guys gawking at her on the beach, but I'm drawing a blank as to the other. Did we see that one?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the other LP is lovely and borderline unfollowable. It is poorly presented and annoying to read.

Yeah, I have exacting standards for my screenshot presentations of japanese dating games

My post seems ironic but is actually completely genuine, I don't care about the other one. It is bad and I'd rather see vibratingsheep cover the routes it does.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Gotta be as rear end in a top hat as possible to Hikari and date Kotoko.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Voting Mei because I want to see how good Goon is at dodging real bullets.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

vibratingsheep posted:

Update to let you guys know that the run-off is official. At midnight Pacific time on Tuesday, April 22nd, we'll cut to top 3 and have a second vote to see who gets to be the featured character of this run! Any ties will be broken by personal bias.

Wait so are we on the second vote now? :confused:
Or did you mean at 11:59pm April 22?

(Either way Akane!)

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Poulpe posted:

Wait so are we on the second vote now? :confused:
If so Akane!

Second vote's happening in about 12 hours as far as I understand.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

ChorpSaway posted:

Second vote's happening in about 12 hours as far as I understand.

D'oh, my mistake. I'll hang on to my vote with bated breath. :arghfist::downs:

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014
Mei probably won't win at this point, but her route looks like a lot of fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tough choice, but I'm going to vote for Homura.

I spent all day reading this thread, worth every hour.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 22, 2014

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mors Rattus posted:

Unless I'm missing something from not being ultra-familiar with TM2, it was pretty followable? :confused: Yes, they spend more time on the events than explaining game mechanics & doing translation notes and whatnot. But it's still readable, just not as detailed as sheep's is. (And considering that the meat of these games is the events, it's not like focusing on them is a weird approach)

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not as good as sheep's LP, but I think you're overstating its terribleness a bit. (On a related note, the Girl's Side LPs I saw over there were terrible. Most of them never managed to finish, and they're generally plagued with an utter inability to figure out how stats work)

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 22, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Alpha3KV posted:

So Maho has two totally unique events. One of them must be all the guys gawking at her on the beach, but I'm drawing a blank as to the other. Did we see that one?

Yeah, it's the "uhhh, that chocolate was a bad batch" bit on Valentine's. It doesn't happen on Miho's route unless you're two-timing yourself.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Haifisch posted:

Unless I'm missing something from not being ultra-familiar with TM2, it was pretty followable? :confused: Yes, they spend more time on the events than explaining game mechanics & doing translation notes and whatnot. But it's still readable, just not as detailed as sheep's is. (And considering that the meat of these games is the events, it's not like focusing on them is a weird approach)

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not as good as sheep's LP, but I think you're overstating its terribleness a bit. (On a related note, the Girl's Side LPs I saw over there were terrible. Most of them never managed to finish, and they're generally plagued with an utter inability to figure out how stats work)

The big thing is the complete lack of context, transition or sense of, you know, what is going on around the events. Given that a huge part of the game is time management and that time passing and things like 'what season it is' or 'what holiday is going on' are a huge part of the game, the lack of context makes things pretty drat confusing - not helped by the fact that the other LP's commentary isn't even funny or well-written to make up for the fact that it is essentially just throwing screens and paraphrasing at you.

And it is paraphrasing - the lack of translation notes and the 'well this is basically what's going on but I'm just gonna skim over this bit' stuff doesn't help clarity or readability. It is a bad LP.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

For some reason this lp put me in the mood to watch romantic drama anime. I don't suppose they made any adaptations of this game, that are worth watching? Or anything else worth watching?

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 22, 2014

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Kaedeko, runoff Akane

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Poil posted:

For some reason this lp put me in the mood to watch romantic drama anime. I don't suppose they made any adaptations of this game, that are worth watching? Or anything else worth watching?

The Key trilogy (Kanon, Clannad and Little Busters) would be the best place to start if you want high school romantic drama with quirky interesting characters. After that I'm not really sure. After that you might just be done. Most of the other good high school romances I know of are for girls, but if that's fine then check out Boys Over Flowers and His and Her Circumstances. And Marmalade Boy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Poil posted:

Clannad, Toradora, Kimi no Todoke, and Ef: A Tale of Memories (really melodramatic, if you're into that) are all pretty good.

The issue with a lot of these things is that they're either adaptations of crappy visual novels, or adaptations of shoujo manga that end before anything really happens.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Getsuya posted:

The Key trilogy (Kanon, Clannad and Little Busters) would be the best place to start if you want high school romantic drama with quirky interesting characters. After that I'm not really sure. After that you might just be done. Most of the other good high school romances I know of are for girls, but if that's fine then check out Boys Over Flowers and His and Her Circumstances. And Marmalade Boy.
Cool, thanks. I've already watched those first three though and really enjoyed them. I've no problems at all with watching things intended for girls so I'll look into those.

Cake Attack posted:

Clannad, Toradora, Kimi no Todoke, and Ef: A Tale of Memories (really melodramatic, if you're into that) are all pretty good.

The issue with a lot of these things is that they're either adaptations of crappy visual novels, or adaptations of shoujo manga that end before anything really happens.
Seen those too and enjoyed them as well. I even have a weak spot for melodramatic stuff.

Yeah I've noticed that's a bit too common issue.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 22, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

This is very true. In the case of the three girl shows I listed I'd suggest enjoying the anime and then picking up the manga since that's where you'll find the whole story.

Edit: Crap how could I forget? If you're okay with a lot of sports stuff being mixed in, Adachi Mitsuru's anime... all of them... are worth watching. Touch, H2, Cross Game, they're all amazing slice-of-life high school romance sports dramas. I generally can't stand sports and yet I ate up every single one of these when I watched them. Adachi Mitsuru's style is so natural that all of the characters will remind you of people you grew up with. Great, great stuff.

Edit edit: Also Kimagure Orange Road. Sorry I just keep remembering shows I'd long forgotten.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 22, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There's a thread for recommendations in ADTRW, so maybe ask there too? Although I don't think Legend of the Galactic Heroes is quite the right recommendation in this case :v:.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

There's also a Misc. Shoujo & Romance Thread

My personal recommendation is Please Save My Earth (which is also one you'll want to pick up the manga where the anime left off if you like it)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks a lot for all the recommendations guys. Looks like I'll have much to watch. :)

I'm really bad a reading manga though. Every time I've tried I've only managed some chapters after the anime ended except for Sasameki Koto, because it actually had an ending and the anime covered the first half with 13 episodes so it wasn't a whole mountain of it to go through. But I fear I'm getting too far off topic.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 23, 2014

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My vote is for Mei.

vibratingsheep posted:

There you have it - 8 introductions for 8 girls. Miho is left out of this poll for variety purposes, while Kasumi is left out because of the previously mentioned reasons.

I completely missed this, why don't you want to do a Kasumi run?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Chuu posted:

My vote is for Mei.

Edit: Never mind, my guess was wrong.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Chuu posted:

Kasumi's the teacher, I think. Aside from the creepiness of a student-teacher relationship, she would require high effort--it wouldn't be any different from the insane min maxing of the Shiori run in the previous game. Sheep has no interest in repeating that.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Getsuya posted:

Edit: Crap how could I forget? If you're okay with a lot of sports stuff being mixed in, Adachi Mitsuru's anime... all of them... are worth watching. Touch, H2, Cross Game, they're all amazing slice-of-life high school romance sports dramas. I generally can't stand sports and yet I ate up every single one of these when I watched them. Adachi Mitsuru's style is so natural that all of the characters will remind you of people you grew up with. Great, great stuff.

All of the Adachi. All of the time. Adachi is the primary reason that I keep pushing Saki and Kaedeko on people. I want to taste Koushieeeeen

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Kasumi's the teacher, I think. Aside from the creepiness of a student-teacher relationship, she would require high effort--it wouldn't be any different from the insane min maxing of the Shiori run in the previous game. Sheep has no interest in repeating that.

She also joins the game the latest out of everyone, so it's a pretty boring playthrough of stat grind, stat grind, play the trumpet, stat grind, datethebabysitternonstop. It's low on personality and high on grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

vibratingsheep posted:

She also joins the game the latest out of everyone, so it's a pretty boring playthrough of stat grind, stat grind, play the trumpet, stat grind, datethebabysitternonstop. It's low on personality and high on grind.

In short, Kasumi is an even more boring Shiori.

• Locked thread