Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Zooey Deschanel, while a beautiful woman, is just too "much" for me so I actively avoided watching New Girl. On a complete whim, I threw it on the other day and holy poo poo this show is hilarious. Jess is basically my least favorite character but Nick and Schmidt, holy poo poo, I can't figure out which one is better. I just finished season 1 and look forward to watching more of it. I see that it's currently in its third season - has it held up quality-wise?

Just randomly thinking about a disgusted Schmidt mouthing "Youths!" after he finds his vehicle on cinderblocks...so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Midniter posted:

Nick and Schmidt, holy poo poo, I can't figure out which one is better.

The correct answer is actually Winston.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Zooey Deschanel, while a beautiful woman, is just too "much" for me so I actively avoided watching New Girl. On a complete whim, I threw it on the other day and holy poo poo this show is hilarious. Jess is basically my least favorite character but Nick and Schmidt, holy poo poo, I can't figure out which one is better. I just finished season 1 and look forward to watching more of it. I see that it's currently in its third season - has it held up quality-wise?

Just randomly thinking about a disgusted Schmidt mouthing "Youths!" after he finds his vehicle on cinderblocks...so great.

I think we were all in your same boat, and yep it stays pretty consistent depending on your tolerance for the Nick and Jess relationship.

B99 is a similar we-all-thought-it-would-be-terrible-but-is-actually-great show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Midniter posted:

It focuses even less closely on Jess after season 1 so you should be good.

I quickly dropped it in season 1 as well before seeing an ep of season 2.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

The Midniter posted:

New Girl pulled a Parks and Recreation and got much, much better after the first season. Jess is still the least interesting part of the show but the rest of the cast more than makes up for it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I lost interest in New Girl this series. It seemed like the show lost a bit of its heart and Schmidt turned into a very unsympathetic character. It just didn't have the same tone that I liked about the first 2 seasons

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So if people are really interested in watching something horrible, you might want to give this a whirl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flyBZjfAP5A

You report back, y'hear?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw that like a year ago. It has a lot of nudity which I'm sure siffy will keep.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

So if people are really interested in watching something horrible, you might want to give this a whirl.

You report back, y'hear?

Yikes.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

This last Silicon valley was terrific.

New girl season 3 is not as good as season 2.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Shageletic posted:

You report back, y'hear?

Jesus loving christ.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

You report back, y'hear?

Is this a sci-fi show or part of an elaborate deodorant commercial?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's French. So both.

Metal Hurlant is the French version of Heavy Metal magazine.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed that New Girl season 3 isn't as strong as 2 and has lost a bit of heart but has still had some really funny episodes and is worth watching overall.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Shageletic posted:

You report back, y'hear?

One in four americans have HPV and this is why.

Edit: They really cancelled Caprica for poo poo like this?

Ravane fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 22, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shageletic posted:

You report back, y'hear?

Wow. That looks like it may be one of the worst shows of all time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

smg77 posted:

New Girl pulled a Parks and Recreation and got much, much better after the first season. Jess is still the least interesting part of the show but the rest of the cast more than makes up for it.

That implies that the first season wasn't good, which is pretty much completely untrue after like episode 5 (before which I would still say it wasn't "bad," just mediocre and forgettable).

Shageletic posted:

You report back, y'hear?

:laffo: It's like they got a bunch of 13 year old boys together and asked them what kind of things would be cool and edgy in a TV show.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 22, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

raditts posted:

That implies that the first season wasn't good, which is pretty much completely untrue after like episode 5 (before which I would still say it wasn't "bad," just mediocre and forgettable).

I think it's comparable if, with P&R, you just count the first 5 episodes instead of the very short 'season'.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 22, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Shageletic posted:

You report back, y'hear?

So wait, you're telling me there's a TV show going on during this boob window montage?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ravane posted:

One in four americans have HPV and this is why.

Edit: They really cancelled Caprica for poo poo like this?

No, they just got the rights to air it they didn't produce it. A couple of episodes have aired and they were completely terrible.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Shageletic posted:

You report back, y'hear?

It's blocked in my country :canada:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Wikipedia tells me they've had real live notable actors appear on this piece of crap, including Rutger Hauer, Michael Jai White, and James Marsters. :psyduck:

Someone go watch this thing and come back with a trip report, so the rest of us don't have to.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Austrian mook posted:

It's blocked in my country :canada:

Your country has done you a favor.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Shageletic posted:

You report back, y'hear?
I feel like there's gonna be one guy here who ends up unironically liking this show, and is gonna be like "no guys, it's really underrated. The previews aren't doing a good job of showcasing it."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hcreight posted:

Wikipedia tells me they've had real live notable actors appear on this piece of crap, including Rutger Hauer, Michael Jai White, and James Marsters. :psyduck:

Someone go watch this thing and come back with a trip report, so the rest of us don't have to.

They showed the Michael Jai White episodes last week. It was not a good use of him. The biggest problem with it is that its a half hour anthology show with an action bent so there is no time to develop any characters. Also they have almost no budget.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lycus posted:

I feel like there's gonna be one guy here who ends up unironically liking this show, and is gonna be like "no guys, it's really underrated. The previews aren't doing a good job of showcasing it."

Yeah and I think we know who that's gonna be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

They showed the Michael Jai White episodes last week. It was not a good use of him. The biggest problem with it is that its a half hour anthology show with an action bent so there is no time to develop any characters. Also they have almost no budget.

That was pretty evident in the video above.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shageletic posted:

You report back, y'hear?

Pretty sure if this were animated goons would be all over it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

Yeah and I think we know who that's gonna be.

Time for Irish Joe's magnum opus :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Really good (and honest) oral history of MST3K. There's some crazy stuff in there, like Frank saying that he's never gotten a dime from residuals or merchandise.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

Time for Irish Joe's magnum opus :allears:

The Talking Dead finally has some competition.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That poo poo's like Enthiran minus plot or action or anything remotely entertaining besides boob window.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

You report back, y'hear?

there's no way this isn't "ironic".

Not that that makes it any less terrible, but there is no way that's to be taken seriously. Unless it was filmed in 1989 and is just now being broadcast.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

quote:

The opening credits, narrated in French by voice actor Benoît Allemane, inform that the "Métal Hurlant" (screaming metal) is the last fragment of what was once a living planet, led to destruction by the madness of its inhabitants and condemned to travel ceaselessly through space and time, screaming its sadness and despair.

:stare:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Apparently the show got great ratings in France, but that's France. That's to be expected.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The last line of the AV Club review nailed it:

quote:

The producers have managed to isolate everything that’s gross and charmless about European fantasy comics, as if they thought the beauty and kinetic energy of the artwork is what’s most disposable about them. Metal Hurlant Chronicles is the kind of thing that gives adolescent male power fantasies a bad name.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

comes along bort posted:

That poo poo's like Enthiran minus plot or action or anything remotely entertaining besides boob window.

Enthiran owns but it was also the most expensive movie in India's history and had a lot of effects talent working on it from all over the world including ILM.

I know it went viral a few years about but everybody should watch Enthiran at some point in their life.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

precision posted:

there's no way this isn't "ironic".

Not that that makes it any less terrible, but there is no way that's to be taken seriously. Unless it was filmed in 1989 and is just now being broadcast.

If it's based on Heavy Metal, it's probably meant to be over-the-top, but probably not ironic. Essentially, they are making a live-action cartoon. If you've ever seen the animated Heavy Metal movie, it is similar in style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Michael Jai White:

• Locked thread