Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
DPReview recently released their X-T1 review. Same general complaints with the same general praise as pretty much everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Geektox posted:

Yeah, it's better than the X-Pro 1 for sure because of the age difference, but I think the X-Pro is supposed to be the "top-tier" line so the X-Pro2 will be better than the X-T1?

Yeah it is, the Fuji guys said they got carried away with churning out bodies too fast, ironically making their "pro" camera one of the worst cameras in the lineup. If I were them, I wouldn't release the X-Pro2 until I'd released all the next versions of the XE and XT cameras, otherwise they'll end up with the X-Pro2 being the oldest one again.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I am waiting for fuji to come out with the next gen of xtrans sensors and then I think I will hop on board. The new t1 body sounds like a nice upgrade over the e2, though.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Xpro2 told the Xpro1s to gently caress off. Xpro 2 will be Organic Xtrans cisgender III in full frame.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Any Fuji shooters find a flash they really like? I shot an event over the weekend using the EF-42 flash and wasn't that impressed. Then again, the shooting conditions were kind of a bear - dimly-lit event hall with 50ish ft high ceilings covered in lighting gear and air ducts, so bounce flash was kind of a no-go. I tried doing without, but I found myself more-or-less wide open at more-or-less ISO 6400, which led to the washed out skin tone issue that DPreview and some others have noticed. I could have just switched to black and white, but the org throwing the event wanted color photos of everyone.

In related news, I've upgraded from a pair of X-E1 to a pair of X-E2, so I'll be posting those for sale soon. I might sell one X-E1 and one X-E2 instead, as the second body really is just for back-up, so I should worry more about it being functional than it being the latest and greatest.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Bob Socko posted:

Any Fuji shooters find a flash they really like? I shot an event over the weekend using the EF-42 flash and wasn't that impressed. Then again, the shooting conditions were kind of a bear - dimly-lit event hall with 50ish ft high ceilings covered in lighting gear and air ducts, so bounce flash was kind of a no-go. I tried doing without, but I found myself more-or-less wide open at more-or-less ISO 6400, which led to the washed out skin tone issue that DPreview and some others have noticed. I could have just switched to black and white, but the org throwing the event wanted color photos of everyone.

In related news, I've upgraded from a pair of X-E1 to a pair of X-E2, so I'll be posting those for sale soon. I might sell one X-E1 and one X-E2 instead, as the second body really is just for back-up, so I should worry more about it being functional than it being the latest and greatest.

I haven't used it yet (other than to test my radio trigger after years of sitting in a box) but I'm just gonna roll around with one of my Nikon SB-26 on my X cameras same as I did when shooting a D700. I use a Stofen Omnibounce and in room which non bounceable ceilings have made do with an index card rubberbanded to the head.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bob Socko posted:

At least you weren't the dude I had to have ushers yell at this weekend when he was banging away with a hotshoe flash from sixty feet away (against black drapes no less), then trying to ceiling-bounce off a dark grey ceiling fifty feet above him, before going 'gently caress it' and... just turning the flash sideways, so it was firing at the rest of the crowd for whatever reason (this is when I got someone to make him gently caress off).

I mean unless you were that dude, in which case hi, and also gently caress you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

I mean unless you were that dude, in which case hi, and also gently caress you.

Ban him for mod sassflash :v:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

The EF42 kinda sucks. I use an SB700 and SB600's for my portable light kit. They will fire nbd from the hotshoe, just gotta manualmode it. My Phottix radio triggers made for a Nikon hot shoe will trigger them nbd.

Id keep an XE1 and XE2, as the cisgenderII sensor seems to have more issues in Lightroom for swirly blurry mess than the first gen sensors do.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

I use my 580 EX II from my Canon days, can't get poo poo for them second hand and it just requires me to shoot with the flash manually. I have tossed up the idea of getting the EFX20 or whatever the little retro fill flash is called but 95% of shots I take with flash I'm fine with bouncing it off a ceiling so more power is better.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007
Just got my x-t1 in from amazon. The battery was fully charged out of the box and some of the settings weren't factory standard. Did anyone else's come that way? It works so I'm not too concerned, I just thought it was strange.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Doodarazumas posted:

Just got my x-t1 in from amazon. The battery was fully charged out of the box and some of the settings weren't factory standard. Did anyone else's come that way? It works so I'm not too concerned, I just thought it was strange.

No that doesn't sound right.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Probably some youtube superstar played with it and put it back in the box

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Doodarazumas posted:

I would check to see if you have a light leak. If you do, send it back since new stock has the light leak fixed. Only a returned camera sold as new would have a light leak, and Amazon has been reported to be selling off returned cameras.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

bobfather posted:

I would check to see if you have a light leak. If you do, send it back since new stock has the light leak fixed. Only a returned camera sold as new would have a light leak, and Amazon has been reported to be selling off returned cameras.

The light leak is only if you shine a light directly down the mic jack with the door open. http://cameras.reviewed.com/features/how-to-solve-the-fujifilm-x-t1-light-leak-problem

I mean yeah, an issue, but not one that'll completely ruin everything.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I have an OMD EM5 and I often use the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 (original version) with it but I've noticed that when on any aperture other than wide open the photos seem to over expose.

This can be quite obvious as compared to what I see in the viewfinder before I press the shutter the actual photo tends to be brighter and often blown out in the highlights.

Anyone else had this? I never experienced it on my EP2 with the same lens or on this camera with other lenses.

Just incase it matters I'm shooting centre weighted most of the time.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

bobfather posted:

Yeah it does. I'm pretty chapped.

Time to put my money where my mouth is and support the local camera shop

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilRic posted:

I have an OMD EM5 and I often use the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 (original version) with it but I've noticed that when on any aperture other than wide open the photos seem to over expose.

This can be quite obvious as compared to what I see in the viewfinder before I press the shutter the actual photo tends to be brighter and often blown out in the highlights.

Anyone else had this? I never experienced it on my EP2 with the same lens or on this camera with other lenses.

Just incase it matters I'm shooting centre weighted most of the time.
Sticky aperture will do that.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just got my X-T1 with the Fuji 23mm f/1.4.

Long story short, it rules. I honestly don't miss the 5D3 and L lenses I sold this past month.

I posted some samples from a quick neighborhood walk here, including a 10-shot action sequence where it nails 8 of the 10 shots without drama.

I also have the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm f/2.0 on order, and I'll post a trip report when I get it!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Samyang 85 1.4 is pretty great too if you want a fast 135 equivalent and not too heavy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ordered 2 more of those Progo BLN-1 batteries for the OMD EM-5. Price is up to $14 now (they were around $11 a couple months ago) but that's still an absolute steal compared to the factory BLN-1.

In more tests, they do seem to die a touch quicker than the factory BLN-1 but it's pretty hard to notice, and given the price difference (and that they'll charge in the factory charger) I'm more than happy with them.

EDIT: Also got the 9mm fisheye body cap lens and it's a hoot. I'll get some examples up tonight or tomorrow.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 21, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

DJExile posted:

EDIT: Also got the 9mm fisheye body cap lens and it's a hoot. I'll get some examples up tonight or tomorrow.

Please do, I'm coveting that lens pretty hard.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know of anywhere in Canada to rent MFT lenses? I checked Vistek's website and they have exactly one MFT lens in Calgary and it's the complete opposite of what I want (telephoto when I need something in the 25mm range). Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Answered my own question. I forgot about Henry's and never checked their site. Turns out they have the Panasonic/Leica 25mm which will do just nicely.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 21, 2014

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

nexxai posted:

EDIT: Answered my own question. I forgot about Henry's and never checked their site. Turns out they have the Panasonic/Leica 25mm which will do just nicely.

Just buy it, no regrets.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

Just buy it, no regrets.
I plan on it eventually but my wife has me on an allowance right now after I went and bought the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and a new computer without discussing it with her first. Whoopsie.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lovin the poo poo out of the XT-1. Still have only really gotten to work it out while doing other things but it feels good man.

I don't think this is a good photo but it makes me laugh.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
sorry if this is a well-trod topic around here but is "DxO Mark" real poo poo or bull poo poo?

to the point, do i really believe that the newer version of the panasonic 20mm is somehow less sharp than the older version on their say-so? i thought i read they were identical except for the housing.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Pana...sus-competition

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Their sensor reviews seem to jive with real world experience, but they have some weird findings when it comes to lens reviews.

Edit: VV There you go. VV

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 22, 2014

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Dxo has really weird testing algorithms that they don't share with anyone. But according to them, the Canon 50mm 1.8 is a better lens than the 600 f4 IS vII so make of that what you will.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
also, while i'm in here, is there a consensus about the panasonic 20mm/1.7 vs the olympus 17mm/1.8? i think i might prefer the 17mm focal length but i saw some pixel peepin nerdos saying the panasonic is noticeably sharper

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Dxo has really weird testing algorithms that they don't share with anyone. But according to them, the Canon 50mm 1.8 is a better lens than the 600 f4 IS vII so make of that what you will.

i can't make anything of this, m4/3 is my first foray into having a non-terrible camera. but, i mean, i guess i can infer your point.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Their sensor score IMO match my real life evaluation of the sensors. But they don't test Fuji X sensors so I still hate them. Also they tested 10 thousand other 3rd party wide angle lens before they test the top tier Nikon 14-24mm. So they are definitely getting paid by the 3rd party brands some what.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Twenty-Seven posted:

also, while i'm in here, is there a consensus about the panasonic 20mm/1.7 vs the olympus 17mm/1.8? i think i might prefer the 17mm focal length but i saw some pixel peepin nerdos saying the panasonic is noticeably sharper

From what I remember, the 20/1.7 is sharper in the center but weaker in the corners compared to the 17/1.8. But in real life you won't really notice the difference.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
DXO doesn't seem to test all lenses the same way. I think you can get an idea if a lens is a total dog or not, but if one lens scores a 9 and another is 12, it doesn't seem to mean anything at all. They say lens scores depend largely on the sensor, but then they don't always test lenses on the same sensors even when possible.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I got a X-E1 a while back and I'm loving it. For financial reasons, I just got the body and slapped on my old Canon FD lenses. Now, I had my eye on finding the 35mm f/1.4 eventually with all the hype surrounding it. I shoot mostly portraits and street stuff and I'm finding that while my old manual 50mm is fine for portraits (although not the sharpest wide open), it's pretty much useless for anything else considering the crop and manual focus.

I'm however leaning towards getting the 27mm pancake instead. The 35mm sounded like the ideal replacement, but on the other hand, the wider 27mm is probably a lot more usable as a walkaround lens (especially considering the size). It might be too wide for portraits and is slightly slower... but with the ISO performance of the camera being pretty solid, I'm not sure I'm in dire need of all the ~bokeh~ anyway (something I mostly utilize with portraits anyway).

So pissed I missed out on the $200 deal on it (not sure if that was valid in Europe anyways). Anyhow, what's you impression of it? Will you sell me one cheaply?

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

widunder posted:

I got a X-E1 a while back and I'm loving it. For financial reasons, I just got the body and slapped on my old Canon FD lenses. Now, I had my eye on finding the 35mm f/1.4 eventually with all the hype surrounding it. I shoot mostly portraits and street stuff and I'm finding that while my old manual 50mm is fine for portraits (although not the sharpest wide open), it's pretty much useless for anything else considering the crop and manual focus.

I'm however leaning towards getting the 27mm pancake instead. The 35mm sounded like the ideal replacement, but on the other hand, the wider 27mm is probably a lot more usable as a walkaround lens (especially considering the size). It might be too wide for portraits and is slightly slower... but with the ISO performance of the camera being pretty solid, I'm not sure I'm in dire need of all the ~bokeh~ anyway (something I mostly utilize with portraits anyway).

So pissed I missed out on the $200 deal on it (not sure if that was valid in Europe anyways). Anyhow, what's you impression of it? Will you sell me one cheaply?

I have both the 27mm and the 35mm and love them both. :getin:

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
Bought a second hand X100 a couple of weeks ago and loving the hell out of it.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

I have both the 27mm and the 35mm and love them both. :getin:

I had both, but sold the 27mm (for more than I paid for it new :hellyeah:) since it was close enough to the 35mm for me to be redundant, so I went with the faster lens. I can still fit it in my hoodie pocket though.

also, somebody buy this and report back: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/22/lytro-illum/

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

widunder posted:

I heard the 27mm pancake is not as sharp as the rest of the XF lineup. Some guy test shot it against the Sony 20mm pancake and they are about on the same class. The thing about the the 35mm/1.4 is that, IMO, besides being very sharp, it has amazing micro contrast.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

After waiting for the Fujifilm X-T1 to come in stock...anywhere...I ended up ordering one off of Amazon Warehouse. It arrived today, but had an issue where there was dust or something between the sensor and the glass which covers it. I'm returning it, but I've had a few hours to play with it. I'm seriously impressed by this camera. I'm going to continue the hunt for a new model. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

arbybaconator posted:

After waiting for the Fujifilm X-T1 to come in stock...anywhere...I ended up ordering one off of Amazon Warehouse. It arrived today, but had an issue where there was dust or something between the sensor and the glass which covers it. I'm returning it, but I've had a few hours to play with it. I'm seriously impressed by this camera. I'm going to continue the hunt for a new model. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

For some reason here in Canada the X-T1 that are on amazon are 200$ overpriced. (1499$ compared to 1299$ everywhere else)... which is why I have mine ordered from Henry's... which I doubt I'll receive anytime soon. :(