Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I just looked at her tweets and she's like dalereed if he'd been born a woman and loved horses instead of drag racing. 6,300+ tweets all in glorious caps raging about everything but horses :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ofaloaf posted:

Welp, the deadline's come and gone and no one else has filed. Guess I got a job come November.

Funniest thing about this is that a month ago, the idea of running hadn't even crossed my mind.

zoux posted:

Also, keep a book where you make a mark everytime someone blames Obama for something that clearly isn't his fault.

If your town hasn't yet officially passed an ordinance regarding Agenda 21, expect to do so.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Please do a thread documenting your trials and tribulations. :allears:
I'm game. Would such a thing be more appropriate for D&D or A/T?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here, mos' def. it would be a good frame for general local politics process discussion, I know I for one could brush up on my local procedure chops.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

zoux posted:

Also, keep a book where you make a mark everytime someone blames Obama for something that clearly isn't his fault.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ofaloaf posted:

Welp, the deadline's come and gone and no one else has filed. Guess I got a job come November.

Funniest thing about this is that a month ago, the idea of running hadn't even crossed my mind.

Congratulations! My first recommendation is you get yourself a copy of Roberts Rules of Order and start brushing up as most townships use that as the procedural rule set.

I would also be interested in reading your thread, but strongly caution you to go above and beyond to anonymize anything that happens. You don't want someone coming across it, realize you are talking about them, and making your job hell over it.

Good luck!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Thank you. This thread really needed more Zazz. :rimshot:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

:mad:

zoux posted:

Here, mos' def. it would be a good frame for general local politics process discussion, I know I for one could brush up on my local procedure chops.

Yeah, small time politics can be every bit as interesting as the big stuff if only for all the weirdness that get's mellowed out the higher in office people seem to get.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Justus posted:

loving really? Reagon's head photoshopped on Mr. Clean's body?

A conservative "artist".

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627572

Hey everyone. There's currently a contest in D&D for switching Obama and Putin in photos. I told Garbage Day that D&D is bound to have great images to work with.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Spoke too soon! County clerk took a little longer than expected-- there's two Republicans who've filed for the Aug. 5th primary, and I'm squaring off against one of 'em in November. Funnily enough, one of the republicans is the township clerk I filed my paperwork with.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Ofaloaf posted:

Spoke too soon! County clerk took a little longer than expected-- there's two Republicans who've filed for the Aug. 5th primary, and I'm squaring off against one of 'em in November. Funnily enough, one of the republicans is the township clerk I filed my paperwork with.

Go negative early and often.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Ofaloaf posted:

"A filthy Obama DEMONRAT controlling OUR township! Not on my watch!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dystram posted:

"A filthy Obama DEMONRAT controlling OUR township! Not on my watch!"

If he's facing a Republican in the primary.....

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Won't he be running against whichever Republican wins their primary?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

zoux posted:

Nonono, there's two republicans, and they're squaring off against each other in the Aug. 5 primary. I'm in the Aug. 5 primary as a Dem, but being I'm the only Democratic candidate that vote won't be much of an issue.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Ofaloaf posted:

Nonono, there's two republicans, and they're squaring off against each other in the Aug. 5 primary. I'm in the Aug. 5 primary as a Dem, but being I'm the only Democratic candidate that vote won't be much of an issue.

Unleash hell...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ofaloaf posted:

How liberal is your local area? Are you going to have to actually campaign?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

How liberal is your local area? Are you going to have to actually campaign?
It's at the periphery of a nearby college town's pull, so it's got a mix of stodgy conservatives and well-educated liberals, both sorts tending to be middle class. There's some subdivisions, but they're older, more-varied sorts, so I dunno how that'll work out.

One of the township board members and I talked a few days ago, and he figured that if actual campaigning were to be had, it'd probably cost somewhere near $1k all told. Mostly there'll be some mailings and lawn signs, and the rest of it will be up to me to actually get out there and talk with people.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Hahahaha lawn signs.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The-Mole posted:

Hahahaha lawn signs.
We both acknowledged that they are mostly useless, but supporters tend to still think they're useful. They're more for the base than they are for outreach.

Getting my name out there is also pretty key. I'm not well-known (although I still certainly know some key folks), and my parents endowed me with a hyphenated surname comprised of two Slavic family names, so that makes it a little trickier.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ofaloaf posted:

It's at the periphery of a nearby college town's pull, so it's got a mix of stodgy conservatives and well-educated liberals, both sorts tending to be middle class. There's some subdivisions, but they're older, more-varied sorts, so I dunno how that'll work out.

One of the township board members and I talked a few days ago, and he figured that if actual campaigning were to be had, it'd probably cost somewhere near $1k all told. Mostly there'll be some mailings and lawn signs, and the rest of it will be up to me to actually get out there and talk with people.

See if you can't network with the local college (student union or something like that) to get a solid ground game canvasing thing going. That's probably the best bet both to raise your electability chances and get the most return on your campaign budget.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Three words for you: unpaid poli-sci interns.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Justus posted:

loving really? Reagon's head photoshopped on Mr. Clean's body?

Reagan as a skinhead? Yeah, sounds about right.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The-Mole posted:

Hahahaha lawn signs.

I'm fairly certain that I'm responsible for the only time a lawn sign has ever actually been of any use for a candidate: I was out for a walk, saw a lawn sign as I was almost home, and went "oh poo poo, the mayoral primaries are today, and there was that one guy I wanted to vote for".

Of course, not only did said guy come in last, but the lawn sign was for a different candidate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You can make some nice bicycle fenders out of yard sign material.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

quote:

A flier has recently been going around Fairview Township, Pa.

"Neighborhood Watch," it reads, below an image of a figure wearing a pointed Ku Klux Klan robe. "You can sleep tonight knowing the Klan is awake!"

The website PennLive reported Monday that a local chapter of a national group called the Traditionalist American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan recently launched the neighborhood watch in response to a number of recent break-ins. The organization's imperial wizard and president, Frank Ancona, told the website he had given the local "klavern" his blessing.

“It’s just like any neighborhood watch program. It’s not targeting any specific ethnicity. We would report anything we see to law enforcement,” Ancona said. “We don’t hate people. We are an organization who looks out for our race. We believe in racial separation. God created each species after its kind and saw that it was good.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/kkk-neighborhood-watch-pennsylvania

Any thoughts on why the KKK seems to feel so comfortable coming out of the shadows recently?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

beatlegs posted:

Any thoughts on why the KKK seems to feel so comfortable coming out of the shadows recently?

Have you seen the republican party lately? I can't imagine what about a nativist xenophobic organization which derives its power from focusing on the influence of a specific racial group would appeal to the KKK.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Superman needs to reshame the Klan back into the margins of history.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

beatlegs posted:

That Anacona guy has been trying to change the image of his chapter to attract new recruits. He even came out in opposition of the recent Kansas City shooter and got interviewed for a terrible CNN piece asking whether the KKK can "rebrand". Spoiler: no, they cannot, they're the loving KKK.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also tonight in American politics: the Republican primary to replace Trey Radel, the self-described "hip hop conservative" who said his favorite vacation destination was Cartagena, Colombia and resigned after being (shockingly) busted for cocaine, has ended with a Rand Paul endorsed businessman beating the Palin and Jeb Bush endorsed State Senator in Florida's 19th Congressional District. The district is R+11, so congratulations Congressman Curt Clawson.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

beatlegs posted:

Being seen as progressive and relativity of awfulness is a hell of a thing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
And now for another exciting development in the Clive Bundy bullshit situation: http://www.8newsnow.com/story/25301551/bundys-ancestral-rights-come-under-scrutiny

quote:

"I've lived my lifetime here. My forefathers have been up and down the Virgin Valley here ever since 1877. All these rights that I claim, have been created through pre-emptive rights and beneficial use of the forage and the water and the access and range improvements," Bundy said.

Clark County property records show Cliven Bundy's parents moved from Bundyville, Arizona and bought the 160 acre ranch in 1948 from Raoul and Ruth Leavitt.

Water rights were transferred too, but only to the ranch, not the federally managed land surrounding it. Court records show Bundy family cattle didn't start grazing on that land until 1954.

Early census records show Cliven's maternal grandmother, Christena Jensen, was born in Nevada in 1901. One genealogical researcher says records indicate Jensen helped settle Bunkerville some years later.

The local Paiute Indians were forced into reservations by federal troops in 1875. Two years prior, the tribe was promised the same land Cliven Bundy now grows his melons ,and until recently, grazed his cattle.

So to recap:
-He doesn't have ancestral rights, only rights dating back to '48
-the water rights are only for the ranch, not the land he's actually using right now
-His family doesn't even date back to before 1900 in Nevada at all
-Others actually have a more legitimate claim to the land he's called dibs on

So would you look at that. Another vapid, hate filled non-issue taken up by right wingers that turns to ash once looked at.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Crain posted:

And now for another exciting development in the Clive Bundy bullshit situation: http://www.8newsnow.com/story/25301551/bundys-ancestral-rights-come-under-scrutiny

So to recap:
-He doesn't have ancestral rights, only rights dating back to '48
-the water rights are only for the ranch, not the land he's actually using right now
-His family doesn't even date back to before 1900 in Nevada at all
-Others actually have a more legitimate claim to the land he's called dibs on

So would you look at that. Another vapid, hate filled non-issue taken up by right wingers that turns to ash once looked at.

Are these facts? Then we already know how much they'll affect the debate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Should be interesting to see what questions the US mission to Burma collects on its Facebook post soliciting questions for Obama on his trip to Southeast Asia this week. So far, a great question about claims in the South China Sea from (I believe) a Burmese student in Thailand.

(paging ReindeerF basically)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

That Anacona guy has been trying to change the image of his chapter to attract new recruits. He even came out in opposition of the recent Kansas City shooter and got interviewed for a terrible CNN piece asking whether the KKK can "rebrand". Spoiler: no, they cannot, they're the loving KKK.

Spoiler: they already did a few decades ago. The guys who call themselves the klan today just didn't get the memo.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SedanChair posted:

Are these facts? Then we already know how much they'll affect the debate.

I didn't realize that the truthfulness of those statements would actually matter to the people who support Bundy. (Either way they are "lies of the liberal media.")

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

Spoiler: they already did a few decades ago. The guys who call themselves the klan today just didn't get the memo.

Yeah I believe they're going by "Stormfront" now

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/18/hate-crime-murders-website-stormfront-report

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

The Klan has rebranded several times in its history. So have similar groups. The Klan is looking to shuck the image of domestic terrorists who are, as the Preacher comic put it, the worst examples of the white race who quote Bull Connors with a southern accent, and instead be more like Youth for Western Civilization of the Council of Conservative Citizens. Those guys show up in suits and quote Charles Murray about "human biodiversity" and pontificate about "cultural inferiority" and the pathology of "black" culture and then get opeds praising their "civil focus" and "voice of the middle class" from GOP politicians and have their points quoted by those same politicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pope Guilty posted:

The Republicans have been completely, even excessively clear about their complete unwillingness to do anything but wreck up the joint as long as Obama's the President, and the apparent difficulty Obama's had in understanding that has honestly been kind of shocking. I spent the first four years of his Presidency trying to figure out how anybody could be that dumb. He's got better, but it's still a process of improvement.
After all those years, Obama finally learned what it's like to be a black man in America.

• Locked thread