Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

lizardman posted:

'Abuse' is probably too strong a word for Benny's family - if only because most abuse victims usually realize how hosed up their situation is and try to run away by the time they're Benny's age - but you can still have a lovely upbringing even if it doesn't fall over the line of flat-out 'abuse'.

Just for fun, I'm going to play a little armchair psychologist here - Benny, let me know if I'm anywhere close or if I'm way off. I'm just taking a guess (and pulling some things out of my rear end for kicks), so I hope you don't take any of this personally:

Mom was a very emotional person, either because at core she was scared of the world or because she was unhappy with her life or both. I don't recall ever hearing about a Dad being around, but if he was, life in the "Snake" household was often punctuated with many intense fights and arguments. There were happy times, but even then there was always a weird tension because you never really knew when a fight might break out, and it didn't seem to matter if it was at home or in public or even in front of your friends (if you were allowed to have friends over). It might have lead to a divorce.

Life with just Mom was a little better, if only because there were less people around to set her off, but you would still have to walk on your tip-toes around her because you never could tell when something might frighten her or offend her sensibilities, and she'd take it out on you guys by screaming at your or smacking you, even if you had little to do with it or if what you did was just an accident. She'd demand an apology or an oath not to do whatever got you in trouble again, but when you did she would continue screaming at you regardless, just as if you had refused and told her to shut up - it's like you could never win.

On the other hand, she was often quite pleasant and it was obvious she loved you guys - she even kind of spoiled you a bit. You had little in the way of chores and she'd constantly be working in the house, cooking and cleaning and taking care of the house, even if she had a job. She'd get you all the little things you wanted, like comic books and such, even moreso if she had a job and she wasn't really around all day. If you offered to help her she would rebuke you - you wouldn't know what you were doing and she didn't have the time (read: patience) to teach you, anyway. And when you DID try to help her without asking, she wound up getting mad because you didn't do it right or you wound up messing something up. Mom was pretty good to you guys so long as you did OK in school, stayed out of her way because don't you see she's busy and working hard for you guys, and didn't get into trouble (especially trouble at school or around other people that would make her look bad).

...But you never could tell what would get you in trouble, could you? SOMETHING would always happen, sometimes things that you knew most folks didn't even think were a big deal, like two lesbians kissing on TV, or things that weren't even your fault, like two lesbians kissing on TV, and it would always result in screaming, smacking, or threatening to take away the things she'd gotten you. She had a martyr complex: even if she didn't say it outright, the implication was for all the things I do for you, I pamper you and take care of you, the least you can do is just not upset me and make life harder for me, you are my burden to bear. She wanted you to feel sorry for her. In your household guilt and love were the same thing. She's not in any particular hurry for you to get out of the house, because without you there's less people for her to sacrifice herself and be a martyr for and have people feel guilty for her.

And you DID feel sorry for her, at least for a while, and while she did do a lot for you, you didn't truly respect her, because it's difficult to respect something you pitied. And what's more, she never felt sorry for YOU, she never gave YOU the benefit of the doubt, these things she did weren't because she felt sorry for you, it was so YOU could feel sorry for HER, and you felt there was a very important type of affection you were missing from her.

You learned early on that the only way to stave off punishment was utter compliance, and you also learned you could only truly be compliant by (a) not doing things until she asks or tells you to, and (b) suppressing any kind of "trouble" that would come up. You learned to keep things from her. You learned to bend the truth to mitigate your culpability in anything. If something wrong happened, you would only bring it up to her (if you had to at all) after you tried to fix it. You learned not to go out of your way to do much of anything because it was probably just going to lead to more trouble. You did this so you could keep things in that very neutral space where there was no trouble and nothing new and scary was happening - the only space of peace.

Boy, that Benny sure is crazy, am I right?! :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
I'll say it again: The people obsessed with Benny come off way worse than Benny at his worst.

On that, good job Benny! I really hope this is the first step on the road to independence, and I really hope you become an E/N Success Story!

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

This poo poo is ten times goonier than anything Benny has posted.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Um, yeah. There's a line between insightful support and creepy voyeurism and it's, um, way back there holy poo poo lizardman blew past that line like it wasn't even there.

Can we please get back to halfhearted congratulations, bad advice, and jokes about hangovers and carts? Please?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That was :goonsay: as gently caress but I kinda liked it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lizardman posted:

'Abuse' is probably too strong a word for Benny's family - if only because most abuse victims usually realize how hosed up their situation is and try to run away by the time they're Benny's age

Furthermore, if loving only.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

God Over Djinn posted:

Yup. My eyeglasses cost close to $1k/pair with insurance (and my insurance is excellent); prescription sunglasses were about $800. If your eyesight is bad enough and you can't wear contacts there's really nothing you can do. Pretty understandable thing to spend a loan on IMO.

e: and if his eyes are as bad as mine he probably won't be able to buy glasses online.

Yeah I got an eye exam for 160 with no insurance (would have been less but I hadn't had an exam in a while so I sprung for a better test). Bought 2 pairs of glasses from Walmart for about 100 apiece. I have spent as much as 450 for a single pair with insurance for say Armani or Dolce & Gabbana frames when I was younger and less practical.

Most full time jobs' health insurance covers insanely cheap or even free eye exams.

I only have mild astigmatism for what it's worth.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have VSP through my job and I get one free pair of glasses lenses or a free year's supply of contacts each year. It's only like $10 skimmed off each paycheck.

I would advise sticking to glasses and not getting contacts because contact solution can get expensive and on your tight budget that $20/month would be better spent elsewhere.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Sunshine89 posted:

I'll say it again: The people obsessed with Benny come off way worse than Benny at his worst.

On that, good job Benny! I really hope this is the first step on the road to independence, and I really hope you become an E/N Success Story!

Benny is becoming the new Chris-Chan.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

docbeard posted:

Um, yeah. There's a line between insightful support and creepy voyeurism and it's, um, way back there holy poo poo lizardman blew past that line like it wasn't even there.

Can we please get back to halfhearted congratulations, bad advice, and jokes about hangovers and carts? Please?

Aww, if you guys were legit creeped out I apologize, I really was just trying to have fun. Also I was mostly just describing a typical dysfunctional Catholic family Including, uh, my own

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

lizardman posted:

Aww, if you guys were legit creeped out I apologize, I really was just trying to have fun. Also I was mostly just describing a typical dysfunctional Catholic family Including, uh, my own

If your own family is like that, then holy poo poo. Sorry to hear that. Aside from that, please don't armchair psycho-analyze anyone ever again. That was creepy as gently caress.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Yeah I got an eye exam for 160 with no insurance (would have been less but I hadn't had an exam in a while so I sprung for a better test). Bought 2 pairs of glasses from Walmart for about 100 apiece. I have spent as much as 450 for a single pair with insurance for say Armani or Dolce & Gabbana frames when I was younger and less practical.

Most full time jobs' health insurance covers insanely cheap or even free eye exams.

I only have mild astigmatism for what it's worth.

My BF works in the optical field and can confirm that this is more in line with correct pricing, you guys with your 1k glasses were probs taken for a ride by the salesman looking for a sweet commission. Head's up: Most designer frames are made by the same companies that make the crappy frames, so there's absolutely no reason to go that route.

My last exam and two pairs of glasses cost me $72 total for the whole affair. Granted, that's with a sweetheart discount, but still...ya'll are getting straight-up hosed.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

i am he posted:

no they don't it is like one dollar unless they changed it in the last month

e: this doesn't even matter because benny will never muster up the will to go to the optometrist and get his prescription, but he really should

It was like 300 when I looked into it but admittedly that was many years ago. v:shobon:v

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

lizardman posted:

You're the one who is mad because your brother's child looks like his mother, right? (Oversimplification for the sake of comedy.)

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It was like 300 when I looked into it but admittedly that was many years ago. v:shobon:v

It's $0. You just provide a CC incase you steal the glasses.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

lizardman posted:

'Abuse' is probably too strong a word for Benny's family - if only because most abuse victims usually realize how hosed up their situation is and try to run away by the time they're Benny's age

Gonna defend Benny here and say that a citation's needed for that claim. If anything, I'm pretty sure that evidence suggests the exact opposite.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Impatient Skype JO posted:

Thanks to you goons for mentioning these, I was just about to buy a new pair of glasses to replace my 500-odd dollar pair. :downs:

Why do you keep trying to remove his personal agency from the equation?

Because when you grow up in a household like his, your way of thinking and reacting to the world is conditioned by growing up in that environment. It's like blaming a plant that's been planted in the shade for not growing as tall as one planted in the sun.

Lizardman's post sounds pretty accurate. It reminds me of how my family functions, and all of us kids who grew up in it are emotionally deformed in some way. And that's not even including the physical abuse Benny puts up with.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 22, 2014

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

It's $0. You just provide a CC incase you steal the glasses.

Is "admittedly that was many years ago" as difficult for you to wrap your mind around as the phrase "in case"?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Is "admittedly that was many years ago" as difficult for you to wrap your mind around as the phrase "in case"?

No, you're right. I'm very confused about what "admittedly that was many years ago" means. Please elaborate. Does it mean you're referring to a time period within the last twelve months?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Glasses costs vary a lot depending on your prescription. I usually get mine from Coastal or Zenni for $50 or $60, but my husband's eyes are so hosed up that his lenses alone cost $300 from LensCrafters (and cheaper places won't even touch his prescription because stocking the special coke-bottle blanks is too expensive).

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

Glasses costs vary a lot depending on your prescription. I usually get mine from Coastal or Zenni for $50 or $60, but my husband's eyes are so hosed up that his lenses alone cost $300 from LensCrafters (and cheaper places won't even touch his prescription because stocking the special coke-bottle blanks is too expensive).

This is generally not true anymore. You can get high index lenses from Warby Parker.

Big Ol Butthole
Apr 21, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Take glasses talk to somewhere where we give a gently caress.

Benny, no need to take a loan from grandma. You live at home and have no expenses.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

Count Chocula posted:

Because when you grow up in a household like his, your way of thinking and reacting to the world is conditioned by growing up in that environment. It's like blaming a plant that's been planted in the shade for not growing as tall as one planted in the sun.

Lizardman's post sounds pretty accurate. It reminds me of how my family functions, and all of us kids who grew up in it are emotionally deformed in some way. And that's not even including the physical abuse Benny puts up with.

That doesn't change the fact that Benny is an adult and needs to learn to be responsible. He can't keep falling back on excuses to get himself where he needs to be.

What is your problem? Calm down.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lizardman posted:

Get your own E/N Thread.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Lizardman, the lambs have never stopped screaming *hissing* ...yeah, I never saw "The Silence of the Lambs"

Anyway, today was my first day of work. My job was to post items up on sites like EBay and Amazon for sale. While pricing, I have to take into consideration rates such as the base price of the item, markup, shipping, and a profit margin. If I can meet the profit margin while posting at the competition's lowest price then I post and if not, I pass. My manager insists that I meet the lowest price instead of lowballing them. The lunch break is an hour and is unpaid, so I'm working 25 hours a week instead of 30. I'm not complaining, though. I spoke the assistant director at the library and he told me that he needs to speak with my supervisor first before I can make my own schedule. I should hear from him by Wednesday.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 22, 2014

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Impatient Skype JO posted:

That doesn't change the fact that Benny is an adult and needs to learn to be responsible. He can't keep falling back on excuses to get himself where he needs to be.

What is your problem? Calm down.

What is your problem if you're reading every question mark as shrieking fury? It's mildly annoying when goons can't read plain English. I'm sorry if that frightens you. Take a few deep breaths and try to calm down about it.

And lol at your continued failure to understand what anybody's trying to explain to you about abuse. Identifying a symptom isn't excuse-making. Maybe you'd understand better if you were calmer.

Big Ol Butthole
Apr 21, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Your job sounds lovely as hell, mate. Keep job searching.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(
So how does this job contribute to your degree and volunteering again? Or were you just saying things that sound good without knowing what they mean

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Lizardman, the lambs have never stopped screaming *hissing* ...yeah, I never saw "The Silence of the Lambs"

Anyway, today was my first day of work. My job was to post items up on sites like EBay and Amazon for sale. While pricing, I have to take into consideration rates such as the base price of the item, markup, shipping, and a profit margin. If I can meet the profit margin while posting at the competition's lowest price then I post and if not, I pass. My manager insists that I meet the lowest price instead of lowballing them. The lunch break is an hour and is unpaid, so I'm working 25 hours a week instead of 30. I'm not complaining, though. I spoke the assistant director at the library and he told me that he needs to speak with my supervisor first before I can make my own schedule. I should hear from him by Wednesday.

Benny, what does this job have to do with your degree? You said earlier that it does. It would seem that you are just trying to move crappy inventory on ebay and that doesn't seem like a job that needs anyone with any education whatsoever. I mean I'm glad you have the job, but why do you keep lying to us?

Also, it will be pure hilarity if anyone ever allows Benny to make his own schedule.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

He gets to copywrite eBay ads. In English.
And can we leave off actively trying to sabotage Benny by telling him how lovely his job is before he's even worked two days at it? If he can hold this down for two weeks, that'll already be better than his past record. Let him show that he can do this.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

What is your problem if you're reading every question mark as shrieking fury? It's mildly annoying when goons can't read plain English. I'm sorry if that frightens you. Take a few deep breaths and try to calm down about it.

:eyepop:Take a Midol, dude.

Every time you've been corrected or told to stop acting like an insecure goon, you've flipped poo poo and started posting like an angry teenager. It's embarrassing.

quote:

And lol at your continued failure to understand what anybody's trying to explain to you about abuse. Identifying a symptom isn't excuse-making. Maybe you'd understand better if you were calmer.

Yeah, lol at the fact that someone whose job is to help the mentaly ill/intellectually disabled succeed in life telling you that you're not saying anything worth listening to. Benny's at a point where he's actively trying to better himself and has even landed a job. Coming with that stupid "it's not his fault if he fucks up :downs:" stuff isn't going to help him; you're just giving him more reasons to not give things a 100%.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Because data entry is the only paid position suitable for English/Creative writing majors.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

He gets to copywrite eBay ads. In English.
And can we leave off actively trying to sabotage Benny by telling him how lovely his job is before he's even worked two days at it? If he can hold this down for two weeks, that'll already be better than his past record. Let him show that he can do this.

I think everyone is glad he got a stupid job, no one really knows how it relates at all to his degree, as he stated it does. Posting an ebay ad doesn't seem to really fit the bill (if it does then I, and countless others, have also done copy write work).

The job sucks but I am glad you have it Benny. HOLD ON TO IT UNTIL YOU HAVE SOMETHING BETTER. DON'T TRY AND OUT-THINK YOURSELF.

Robot_Rumpus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 22, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benny the Snake posted:

What are the pay and benefits like?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:siren: Hey Americans, most degrees are not job training :siren:

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

:siren: Hey Americans, most degrees are not job training :siren:

No kidding. But Benny specifically said it was related to his degree, that's why people are asking. No one thought he was actually going to get anything related to his degree. I would guess the job that Benny actually got is in the range of jobs that most people thought he could get.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

natetimm posted:

What are the pay and benefits like?

Read the thread.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Robot_Rumpus posted:

No kidding. But Benny specifically said it was related to his degree, that's why people are asking. No one thought he was actually going to get anything related to his degree. I would guess the job that Benny actually got is in the range of jobs that most people thought he could get.

It is apparent based upon his description that it doesn't relate to his degree beyond simple copywriting for ebay ads. That's fine, it doesn't have to take advantage of his degree. If all menial jobs were required to take advantage of a bachelor's degree Starbucks wouldn't be able to employ the majority of their staff.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's marginally closer to something related to an English degree than hauling boxes around a warehouse, cooking food, or cart wrangling is, and maybe that's enough.

Really, are there jobs related to English degrees other than "English teacher" and "literary smart guy"? (I do not consider "writer" to be a job related to an English degree.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I made my first sale yesterday. I know anyone can sell anything on EBay, but if I can make consistent sales, at least it'll look very good on my resume.

Sigma-X posted:

It is apparent based upon his description that it doesn't relate to his degree beyond simple copywriting for ebay ads. That's fine, it doesn't have to take advantage of his degree. If all menial jobs were required to take advantage of a bachelor's degree Starbucks wouldn't be able to employ the majority of their staff.

I guess it is simple copywriting. And it's fun, for what it's worth. Sure, I don't set the prices, but it's fun figuring out what to write to sell things. I have no illusions that I'm particularly good at it-I'm no Don Draper. But maybe I'll get better at it. I look at this job as both pay and training for something better.

EDIT: Is there an ask/tell thread on how to sell stuff online? I'd love to post there and ask for advice.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 23, 2014

• Locked thread